XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Going to look at an XKR this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 06:40 PM
Received 56 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Going to look at an XKR this weekend

I'm going to look at my first potential jag this saturday. It's a 2008 Jaguar XKR. Finances are in order, car is being cleaned up. I'd like to go over it thoroughly before making any commitments though.

My initial search was for a Z4 M edition. I was after one for the better part of a year, but just couldn't find the one I wanted. Then one day a few months back the XKR came up on an episode of top gear, and I thought it was neat. And I looked into it, still neat. And it grew on me, until I gave up on the z4 and began my several month search for a 2007-2009 XKR coupe specifically. This is the only one in a thousand miles that isn't visibly beaten to shreds.

There are two known imperfections i'm aware of. One is wear on the top of the steering wheel, another is wear on the shift knob. Is it possible to get replacements for these? Also i'm told there is a plastic piece somewhere by the passenger side that is missing.

I don't have any interior pictures, nor have I seen any. I'm assuming the interior is a light tan based on the exterior blue color.

With any luck she'll be in beautiful shape and I'll be driving her home.

Old 02-01-2016, 07:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

The gear shift can be replaced. I have done so on my 2009 Jag XKR Convertible. Cost is about $50 to $75.00 and a DIY project.

Old 02-01-2016, 07:47 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

I just picked up a shift knob (they simply twist off but they were also put on with red Lcoktite - so now I'll look to sell me former one, which was an optional one from Jag, the cost is nominal. As for the steering wheel show pics, most any decent leather shop can refinish it for a low cost or you can DIY it with dye from Leatherique if you are so apt. Good luck

Old 02-01-2016, 07:59 PM

Thanks for the info. Is there any links to where I can buy these things? The few shops that I've have seen some shops and the prices aren't anything like what you have mentioned. I found nothing on ebay at all. I'm not sure where to look.

Old 02-01-2016, 08:15 PM
Banned

Here's the one I'd let go for $50 + shipping - knob
I could send actual pics of mine if interested it is a actual Jag OEM optional knob. As for finding them I spend a long time continuously searching eBay and some of the vendors but keep in mind that they are getting tougher and tougher to find. Most all the vendors I looked up were OOS on all the one I wanted.

As for refinishing the steering wheel, I just got some of the OEM dye/leather paint from Leatherique sent out the cost was $74.95 for @8oz. Sadly the color was off by quite a bit (maybe two sahdes) so they are sending me out some black to darken it with hopes I can make it match better.

Old 02-01-2016, 08:26 PM

Thanks, hopefully it's not to bad, I've yet to see it. This is what the sales rep has told me prior to the meeting to prevent any surprises.

Old 02-01-2016, 08:30 PM
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Make sure you check the front of the dash, they may not even know its starting to peel, especially if its been sitting out on a lot for an extended amount of time.

Old 02-01-2016, 10:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

I installed the same shift knob that Leeper in post #5 is selling for $50.00.

The price is a bargain and I would jump on it. The shift knob is very nice and will go well with any interior color.

He is correct, as the OEM shift knob is installed with a red Loctite type material. I had to use a hair dryer to heat up the old knob and then it's a twist to remove the old and replace the new.

Good luck with the new purchase. I hope it goes well. Have it inspected by a Jaguar dealer if at all possible.

Old 02-02-2016, 02:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,141 Likes on 3,384 Posts

Originally Posted by nasomi
... I don't have any interior pictures, nor have I seen any. I'm assuming the interior is a light tan based on the exterior blue color. ...
If the seller is LW Automotive in Wexford, PA both the exterior and interior are black. Search cars.com

Click this link for more photos, including the interior. Used 2008 Jaguar XK-Series for Sale in Wexford PA 15090 LW Automotive

For a MUCH nicer 2008 XKR, check out this rare Portfolio model in Florida. Compare the equipment on both cars. http://www.genuinemotorcars.com/used...mobile_nwa_025

Last edited by Stuart S; 02-02-2016 at 03:10 AM. Reason: Added link
Old 02-02-2016, 07:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

I haven't been doing much car searching but I recall when I was a few years back there were a lot of late model coupes available. If you open up your window to cover all of the US there are a lot of quality cars available. I was skeptical in buying a car unseen buy would have traveled if necessary to do a feel and touch . Also with this type of cars they are usually low mileage and as new condition. I don't know the OP's method of culling out the field but it appears he is looking in his neighborhood as opposed to "anywhere". Just looking at the Jaguarusa cpo listing brings up 30-40 cars. So if the one he is looking at doesn't match his needs there are a lot more out there.

Old 02-02-2016, 08:53 AM

I had used vehix.com previously, but they have gone. Apparently there are more to choose from than I initially thought using some other search methods. I had been using craigslist and searchtempest and searching 2500 mile range.

Many more pictures and options now, I'm glad to see. The average price I'm seeing now is mostly in the 30k range, however this one is under 20k, which makes me quite weary.

Old 02-02-2016, 10:06 AM
Received 102 Likes on 61 Posts

The listing is here :
Used 2008 Jaguar XK-Series for Sale in Wexford PA 15090 LW Automotive

He has it listed for $33.4 k. You mean you are getting a deal under $30 k right?

Old 02-02-2016, 10:34 AM

It's different from that one, the one i'm looking at is listed for 18k. It's right on the kbb mark for private party sale. It's a dark blue, in the pictures in my original post.

Old 02-02-2016, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

That 2008 has a 2007 grill. Was it replaced or are you sure that is indeed 2008? Did the Taurus wings make it to any 2008 model year cars?

It does not have the mast antenna, so that would lead me to think it really is '08, but the older style grill needs to go!

Good luck

Old 02-02-2016, 12:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by nasomi
I had used vehix.com previously, but they have gone. Apparently there are more to choose from than I initially thought using some other search methods. I had been using craigslist and searchtempest and searching 2500 mile range.

Many more pictures and options now, I'm glad to see. The average price I'm seeing now is mostly in the 30k range, however this one is under 20k, which makes me quite weary.
When I searched I looked through Cars.com , Autotrader.com , Cargurus.com and Jaguarusa.com. Search anywhere in the US and not be afraid to buy sight unseen if you get a dealer to look at the car. Good luck as there are plenty out there for the price you are looking at.

Old 02-02-2016, 12:38 PM

I just went at lunch for a visual inspection of the interior. There's reason for the considerably lower price, but it's not a deal breaker yet.

Spent 45 minutes crawling over it and this is what I've found.

First, CEL is on for a cat ineffiency, which they assured me would be fixed prior to me picking it up should I purchase it. It's the reason the car is not inspected.

Second, I started it, but did not drive it. When cold, at idle, there was a brief and intermittent vibration, which tells me maybe motor mounts or misfire. I hit the gas and it disappeared immediately, and revved properly.

Third, the hood struts don't hold the hood up. Should not be terribly expensive to replace.

Forth, minor imperfections in paint on hood, the most noticeable being under the passenger headlamp. Small ding on the crease right behind the driver door. I could only notice it because of the sun glare hit it at the right angle from where I was standing.

Fifth, the interior has a bit of wear. Nothing dramatic, but certainly noticeable. If it had a good detailing, I think it would be much less noticeable. It was dirty.

Sixth, and this was my biggest problem, the passenger door panel was partially seperated from the door, due to the one screw mount by the top of hte door jam being broken. Every time you open the passenger door it sticks then lets go and slams into the door. It looks really annoying to fix.

Here's some pictures that I took, hopefully I can get some good input.

Old 02-02-2016, 12:44 PM
Banned

It's got over 100K miles on it, not taken care of, numerous issues of which may just be masked instead of fully addressed... I hope you're getting a KILLER deal (like $20K or less) on it or I'd run fast unless you're very comfortable with doing all your own work..I recently read something that made total sense on the Merc board "There's nothing more expensive than a cheap Mercedes", the same holds true for Jags. Be VERY careful there, there are MANY other cars out there without those issues. You can get a really nice example of a 2007/2008 XKR with 50K miles in the neighborhood of $27-29K, that mess should be in the 20K range or less if they cannot show a history of replacing the water pump, it having good brakes and newer good tires, etc.

Good luck

Last edited by Leeper; 02-02-2016 at 12:50 PM.
Old 02-02-2016, 01:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,160 Likes on 3,090 Posts

Totally agreed with Leeper, it would have to be one HECK of a deal. 110,000 miles would be OK if all the service history was documented and current, but the interior does look a bit trashed. Plus, if the interior was never cared for, that means the REST of the vehicle was never cared for. If you don't plan on driving it much, the mileage isn't all THAT important. But if you DO want to drive it, a few years down the road and you'll have 160,000, and that is getting up there. Resale will be in the toilet by then.
Personally, I'd keep looking, as others have stated.

Old 02-02-2016, 02:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,894 Likes on 1,285 Posts

For the $18k you said was the asking price, its a maybe.

I walked away from an '07 XKR that had a lot less visible interior wear, but I could tell had been abused. It had a lot less miles (34k), but they wouldn't budge on the $33k price. (I settled for an XK, as I couldn't find another XKR in my color and price range.)

Yes, you can find replacements for the center console, steering wheel, and shift knob, maybe run you $2k in parts, and then a new paint job, and interior detailing, the price starts coming up.
But in the end, as mentioned earlier, its going to be a high mileage car, and the total price won't be much below a lower mileage, better maintained car.
Its your money, but you could probably do better by expanding your search area.

Old 02-02-2016, 02:19 PM
Banned

If you're on a budget, and you're not VERY well versed in DIY repairs, this is anything but a bargain... it is likely a financial disaster. You had better have a good (>$4K) reserve to back that car up in case of issues which will happen. If you do not have that stash this is a ticking time bomb.

Not sure where you got the supposed KBB value private party- take a look at that car in "fair" (and that is a stretch) condition show $15,412). Don't think you are getting a "deal" here, this is a car that will take serious time and money to semi-restore then you'll have a car with over 110K miles so resale will suck. God forbid you have even a slight issue that could easily run several grand pushing that car over the cost of a far better car with lower miles. Think with your mind not your emotion, because a price is low (actual asking price @ $3K OVER blue book) that has NOTHING to do with it being a "deal", get that silly mentality out of your mind. Even at $15K that car is not a bargain, would be if it were taken care of better with a history of maintenance but not that one. That will take at least $4K to bring to "good" condition not including any hidden issues.

Last edited by Leeper; 02-02-2016 at 02:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Going to look at an XKR this weekend