Gremlins already?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 03:06 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Gremlins already?

First drive to work this morning and a couple of firsts:

1)iPod now no longer recognized by system

1.1) Cruise self disabled while in NO traffic stating "ACC sensor blocked"
Resumed functioning after car stopped 28 miles later and ignition cycled. And no, there were no large objects covering the front sensor.

Electronic Gremlins? Please Jaguar - say it ain't so!

Seperate first: First speeding warning.

Old 12-13-2010, 05:33 AM

Anyone else having weird electronics issues?

Old 12-13-2010, 09:31 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have had my '07 XKR Coupe for 4 months now and it has 34,000 mi on it. The two warnings that I get on a recurring basis are 1) Tire Pressure System Fault and 2) my cruise will disengage stating driver intervene and reports "cruise unavailable" radar sensor blocked. No rhyme or reason for either. May go away for days on end and then recur daily. The tire pressure system fault will come and go as I drive to my office. My battery was replaced a couple weeks ago and that helped some other issues, but these two continue.

I also have a VERY ANNOYING "chirping" coming from the climate fan. Goes away when I turn climate off, but makes noise no matter if fan is switched to defrosters, vents or floor. The noise worsens considerably when I apply brake pressure for some reason. Anyone have this before??

Tim

Old 12-13-2010, 10:20 AM
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

My '08 XKR has had the adaptive cruise issue. It was acting up intermittently on the 1000 mile trip back home after purchase. It didn't require an ignition cycle to reset but maybe 20-30 minutes later it would engage like nothing was wrong and work splendidly for the next 200-300 miles. Weird. (and disappointing) I do like the adaptive cruise when it works. I haven't talked to the dealer about it, yet.

I did find this :

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...31&postcount=7

Originally Posted by Cough
Car is 2007 XK Coupe nearly one year old. Since new we have had random cutting out of the cruise control with the red warning "driver intervention" triangle appearing. Cruise cuts out and wil not work again for 15 minutes or (maybe) turning off engine which is a pain since you are on the highway.

I took it to a dealer in California - they said it was the radar horn and replaced it. Seemed OK but then problems re-occurred on next long trip.

So I took it to another dealer in Canada and they coincidentally had been the FIRST Jaguar dealer to discover the fix - which is now a Jaguar approved Warranty fix. It all relates to the colour of the car (silver cars are more susceptible)the angle of the radar horn (must be moved 1 degree from spec) the softwre and the control modules. So as my Public Service Announcement, here is the stuff off my repair invoice (free of course) that you can throw at your dealer:

889940 reconfigure the speed control module
869380 update 7 modules X150 Enhancement program (IP11)
Perform software enhancement program K013 outstanding per DDW 05-12-08
Replace C2P16704 Spring and C2P15674
I've also experienced the touch screen system "not booting" on startup. The "leaper" was displayed but no touch controls. None of the "real" controls for audio or heat would work, either. Went to dinner and when I came out to drive away, everything functioned as normal. Haven't had it happen since.

Joe Lucas may indeed be dead and buried but his spirit remains, I'm afraid.

The following users liked this post:
doctock993 (12-13-2010)
Old 12-13-2010, 01:31 PM

Hmmm. Sounds like the Service Department and I are going to be closer "friends" than I like.

AirCav: Thank you for the link/ reprint. It gives me something to discuss with the Service folks. (Also an idea for another thread...)

Originally Posted by AirCav
Joe Lucas may indeed be dead and buried but his spirit remains, I'm afraid.
As I'm a Jag "newbie" - could you explain the reference? Is this the creator of the "bad electrical system" that past Jags are rumored to possess?

Old 12-13-2010, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by doctock993
Hmmm. Sounds like the Service Department and I are going to be closer "friends" than I like.

AirCav: Thank you for the link/ reprint. It gives me something to discuss with the Service folks. (Also an idea for another thread...)

As I'm a Jag "newbie" - could you explain the reference? Is this the creator of the "bad electrical system" that past Jags are rumored to possess?
Yes, the Prince of Darkness, of course. It's an overused joke.

Lucas Electrics has been blamed, rightly or wrongly, for all of the electrical ills occurring in British-made consumer goods for a hundred years.

Old 12-14-2010, 12:06 AM
Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts

Next month will be 3 years of ownership (bought it new) with less than 7K on the odo right now....here are my gremlins:

1. Didn't even make it home the first day of picking up the car and got a check engine and headed right back. Found out the auxillary motor was bad and so the first 2 days it was spent at the dealer.

2. Frozen screen....nothing works on the screen....turn off and let it sit for a few minutes and finally worked again. Happened early '08.

3. "Check Fuel Filler Cap". Happened twice...2008 and this year. Went away after a few cycles.

4. Sometime at the first initial crank it would fire up and then die (something like starving of fuel then the 2nd crank it would always start up. Dealer couldn't find what's wrong. Mostly happened in 2008/2009. Seemed to go away this past year.

5. Whenever Sirius is updated, sometime after the update and i want to switch stations, it wouldn't let me. It would only play the station before the update. One time the station would keep on playing even after the engine is off and the touchscreen is blank. While the radio is still on, I tried to lock the door and the car denied me with 2 beeps.

I see it as minor annoyances...nothing that would make me get rid of it anytime soon.

Old 12-16-2010, 04:04 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had the 1) Tire Pressure System Fault, 2) Cruise Control stop working because of "blockage" and 3) System screen stuck on the jumper.

The frozen screen happened twice last week (just as the weather starts to get colder in Texas, the cold lowering the voltage in my battery maybe?)

The Tire Pressure fault also happened last Friday and cleared itself Saturday morning half way to the dealership.

Everything has been back to normal since then.

Old 01-20-2011, 01:50 PM

Update:

iPod problem turned out to be cable related. Replaced immediately at dealership under warranty.

Re: charging a newer iGaget - I picked up a Griffin adapter off eBay that supposedly converts the old fire-wire signal for charging to the current USB method of charging. However, it has not been consistent in function on a home dock. Have not tried it in the car yet.

Car is at different dealership right now getting the ACC "fix":

Originally Posted by Cough
Car is 2007 XK Coupe nearly one year old. Since new we have had random cutting out of the cruise control with the red warning "driver intervention" triangle appearing. Cruise cuts out and wil not work again for 15 minutes or (maybe) turning off engine which is a pain since you are on the highway.

I took it to a dealer in California - they said it was the radar horn and replaced it. Seemed OK but then problems re-occurred on next long trip.

So I took it to another dealer in Canada and they coincidentally had been the FIRST Jaguar dealer to discover the fix - which is now a Jaguar approved Warranty fix. It all relates to the colour of the car (silver cars are more susceptible)the angle of the radar horn (must be moved 1 degree from spec) the softwre and the control modules. So as my Public Service Announcement, here is the stuff off my repair invoice (free of course) that you can throw at your dealer:

889940 reconfigure the speed control module
869380 update 7 modules X150 Enhancement program (IP11)
Perform software enhancement program K013 outstanding per DDW 05-12-08
Replace C2P16704 Spring and C2P15674
Dealership actually thanked me for the information and said it was "extremely helpful".
Here's to keeping my finger's crossed on this...

Old 01-30-2011, 10:46 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Kevin

I have had my XKR since 2006, one of the first off the production line! more than four years later I still get the "Tire Pressure System Fault" It is very annoying. The dealer is very keen to fix the problem now that it is out of warranty! I had it back to the dealer just last week. And yes it comes and goes anytime it pleases. It really is a waste of time I thought it would be a good option to buy but it has been more trouble than it is worth. In fact it has warned me of low pressure once in four years!

On another matter does anyone know how to reset the offside mirror? Mine returns to a funny position after reversing and I have to manually reset the position, another annoying gremlin. This has been with the car since new and the dealer will always fix it but now that I am out of warranty I get a bill for it!

Old 02-28-2011, 08:29 AM
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Gremlins in 2008 XK Convertible

I bought my 2008 XK used less than two months ago. My gremlins to date are:

1. The night I picked up the car it was rainy and cold. Tried to turn on the defoggers. The fan was not working. Took it to dealer and they replaced the heater relay under warranty.

2. First week, battery died. Took car to dealership. They charged the battery and so far it has held up.

3. Screen in instrument cluster that displays the gas gauge, odometer, etc, failed to light up twice. Dealer "could not recreate problem".

4. Passenger side window "thinks" it has encountered an obsruction when it is raised, so it drops right back down again. This problem is also intermittent. I have not taken it back to the dealer yet for this problem. I just don't want to hear the dreaded "could not recreate your problem" statement from the service writer.

Still, I so love this car. I stand there and look at it in the garage; such a beauty...and I have developed a new sense of patience. In the end, I chalk it all up to the "Jaguar Owner's Experience."

Old 03-01-2011, 07:04 AM
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I've had my 2007 XK convertible for seven months now. So far:

1) power driver's seat controls stopped working twice and had to be reset

2) can't keep the interior trunk handle to stay in place, it's been replaced twice and fell out again

3) leaking a/c hose replaced

4) "crunching" front brakes lubricated but crunching sound has returned

5) passenger-side wiper motor stopped working; area clogged with debris (which I can't get to)

6) paint chips around doors; Jaguar is investigating

7) Third brakelight missing one LED - of course can't replace one, have to replace all, which will happen sometime this week $$$

So overall nothing major, just pricey little annoyances. I've roadtripped the car and have been very pleased with the ride, performance and reliability.

Three bent wheels so far but I can blame VDOT for that.

Old 03-01-2011, 06:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I get the frozen screen in my 08 portfolio.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:00 AM
Default Oh yeah, I forgot...

I had the frozen LCD screen once on my 08 as well. Turning off the screen and turning it back on again did not work. I had to literally shut down the car and restart. No LCD problems since.

I do have a suggestion. I think that since the LCD panel is a bit to slow to respond, if you tap it and then tap it again two soon, the screen gets "confused" and locks up. I have had to force myself to slow down and be patient. The screen then seems to do what it's supposed to.

This car has taught me ALOT about patience.

davies (03-02-2011)
Old 03-02-2011, 02:42 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Kevn

Originally Posted by Stillwaters
I bought my 2008 XK used less than two months ago. My gremlins to date are:

1. The night I picked up the car it was rainy and cold. Tried to turn on the defoggers. The fan was not working. Took it to dealer and they replaced the heater relay under warranty.

2. First week, battery died. Took car to dealership. They charged the battery and so far it has held up.

3. Screen in instrument cluster that displays the gas gauge, odometer, etc, failed to light up twice. Dealer "could not recreate problem".

4. Passenger side window "thinks" it has encountered an obsruction when it is raised, so it drops right back down again. This problem is also intermittent. I have not taken it back to the dealer yet for this problem. I just don't want to hear the dreaded "could not recreate your problem" statement from the service writer.

Still, I so love this car. I stand there and look at it in the garage; such a beauty...and I have developed a new sense of patience. In the end, I chalk it all up to the "Jaguar Owner's Experience."
Just a suggestion... Have your battery checked again. Although the battery may seem to start the car okay, if it is not up to scratch it may be what is causing your electrical/electronic problems. I have had similar electronic gremlins that was fixed by the full charge of the battery. You may need to replace your battery.

007XKR (06-30-2020)
Old 03-02-2011, 03:05 PM
Default I think you have hit the "Nail on the Head"

I talked with a Jaguar mechanic off line who says the exact same thing about the battery needing to be replaced. Unfortunately, as long as the battery continues to "pass" whatever "test" the dealership is doing to it, Jaguar will not replace the battery under the five year warranty.

I have decided to go ahead and buy a top shelf 84 month battery from a major auto parts chain and have the dealer install it for me. The Jaguar service writer has agreed to do the install at very little cost. I think he feels a bit guilty over the whole thing, because he knows that a battery that is starting to die, may still test out "okay", but that by no means it is in fact "okay"

Old 03-02-2011, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by davies
Just a suggestion... Have your battery checked again. Although the battery may seem to start the car okay, if it is not up to scratch it may be what is causing your electrical/electronic problems. I have had similar electronic gremlins that was fixed by the full charge of the battery. You may need to replace your battery.
Absolutely!

My '08 XKR experienced the frozen leaper screen, TPMS fault, adaptive cruise control fault, and probably some things I'm forgetting, shortly after I bought it a few months ago. The fix for all of those seems to have been the new battery my dealer installed under warranty. None of the previous issues have reappeared (probably just jinxed myself ).

I don't profess to understand how the battery condition could effect the electronics when the car is running with the alternator functioning, but it apparently does. This seems to be a common enough (and well-known) problem that Jag should cover that cost if you are still under warranty. They specifically advertise that the battery is a warrantied item. Good luck!

Old 03-03-2011, 07:24 PM
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

My screen has frozen a couple of times. I think the voltage drop from the starter stops the head-unit from booting properly.

I've noticed that the screen comes up straight away if the car has been driven recently - but sticks on the leaper logo for several seconds if it's been sitting overnight - and occasionally stays on the leaper logo.

I'll see if I can score a new battery before the warranty runs out in April.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:14 AM
Default Good luck

Please let me know how that works out for you. Like I said in my earlier post, the service manager at my local Jaguar dealership tells me that even though my battery should "probably" be replaced, since it is still "passing" the voltage "test", Jaguar Inc will NOT pay for a new battery. Basically, if he does install a new battery in the car, the dealership itself is going to have to eat the cost, which they also don't want to do...

So, I decided "enough is enough". I went ahead and picked up Autozone's best quality battery for this car for $108.00 on sale. The dealership has agreed to install it for their labor cost (about $25.00). Frankly, even though this lets Jaguar "off the hook", my time is just to valuable for me to keep dealing with the Gremlins and repeatedly taking the car back to the dealer (an hour each way + missing work)

Old 03-04-2011, 07:35 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got rid of my problems when I installed a new Battery 6 month ago.

You just have to reset the windows after you installed the new battery.

Quick Reply: Gremlins already?