XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Has your X150 not been troublesome?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 02:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 651 Likes on 477 Posts

If I went looking for the troublesome ones I think I'd have less responses than looking for the ones that have not been troublesome.

That is my perspective; these are good cars.

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
Six people have had major problems with their 5.0 liters and have posted those problems. Sixty Thousand people have NOT had problems with their 5.0 liters and have NOT posted those non-problems.
Yes, the 4.2s are probably slightly less problematic, but they are also less powerful. And older. Probably more miles although that shouldn't be a concern. And they also come in the older bodies.
Thanks to those that have posted their ownership stories, I've read every one.

Seems only a few make it to the forums that bought these new.

Old 06-18-2019, 02:49 PM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,007 Likes on 715 Posts

Purchased the 07 xkr in 2010. 35,000 km.
We are now up to 140,000 km. This is not a daily driver but I have been known to slap on winter tires and head to Tremblant or Mont Saint Marie or Mt Washington for some skiing.
The car is so comfortable to drive I've been also known to head to DC or NYC or Boston as opposed to go through that ever so comfortable airline security service.

Typical maintenance items have been maintained. (bushings, battery, bearings, brakes, belts, bulbs, oil, transmission fluid, diff fluid, cats, supercharger fluid, tires, tires, tires :-D)
No headliner change. No dash cover change. No vent pipe issue.
Next to the xjr, best car I ever owned.

Old 06-18-2019, 03:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 549 Likes on 380 Posts

Bought my 2010 in 2016 with 33k miles. Have 42k now.

So far:
- Replaced sagging headliner (specialty shop)
- Glove box damper was broke - fixed using method seen on this forum. (self)
- Replaced battery, installed Ctek (self)
- Replaced coolant bleeder tube that broke (self)
- Replaced failing water pump and plastic hoses/tubes (dealer)
- Got a MAF related code, Found broken wire in harness on drivers side air intake area soldered wire back on (self)
- Had issue with pump shutoff when re-fueling. Thought the Evap canister was clogged. My service guy checked out the vent and did some poking and jarring and it seems to be corrected. Probably something stuck in the vent line. Hope that's all.....
- Installed the rear Leaper that the factory forgot to put on in 2010 and 2011
- Replaced drivers side seat tilt lever on top of seat back that snapped off (self)
- Oil changes once per year, new tires, brake fluid flush last year, Air filter change, Cabin filter change (service guy)

Brake pads still look good. Rotors are wearing but are still in spec for thickness.

Other oddities:
- TMPS light show on occasion - usually goes away on it's own, if not, add air to about 38-40 lbs, then lower to 34ish once it clears.
- Shudder in steering wheel when turning at low speeds. Seems to be a common issue.
- Slight clunk in transmission when switching from Park to Drive. I think this happened 2 or 3 times.
- Slight vibration at ~1800 RPM. Seems like exhaust is loose somewhere. Haven't had a chance to get under there to look yet.

Old 06-18-2019, 04:48 PM
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

I got my 2011 XK about 14 month ago with about 5k on the odo. Now It has about 15k run.

Meanwhile I had an annual service done and the water pump replaced.

Car sometimes smells slightly of coolant in the engine bay when hot. After 6 months I got the AFS swivel light warning with left light pointing down. It comes back every 4 months or so.

This week I got the feared pedestrian warning twice, for the first time ever.

With the second set of wheels I bought for winter, the TPMS warning is triggered. Has not come back since I refitted the original summer wheels. Will put new sensors into the winter wheels.

I am sometimes trickle charging with ctek. Have connected it to battery ports.

Br
ter

Old 06-18-2019, 06:53 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default such low milage

Only one person that i noticed had more than 100k. I'm considering getting one as a third car, for when i just want to drive by myself or with just my wife or son. It'll be driven often but not always.

As such, i don't want to spend too much on it, around the $15k mark. But to do so I'll need one with higher mileage. Is there much experience from any of you on these with over 100k?

Old 06-19-2019, 04:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,257 Likes on 563 Posts

My 2010 with about 76,000 miles on it has or had the following issues:

Water pump and coolant pipe broke. $2000 to repair at the dealer.
Coolant hose to overflow tank was broken by the dude at Snappy Lube. That was replaced as a part of the $2000.
Electronic differential error since the day I picked it up. I was going to have the dealer fix it, but I spend $2K getting the water pump changed.
TPMS error comes and goes. I replaced all four TPMS sensors. That didn't fix it. It's the front right according to SDD. Brutal or Cambo said its probably the wire harness. I need to take the bumper cover off to get to it. That is a project for an upcoming weekend.
I get a very infrequent DSC error. It has happened 3 or 4 times in the past month. Turning the engine off and back on seems to resolve it. Temporarily.
I got a speed sensor error one time. I'm not sure what caused it. I disconnected the battery, touched the ground wire to positive, and reconnected it. That cleared the problem.
The AC drain is clogged. I installed a bypass hose per some instructions in a different thread. That seems to have mostly fixed the issue, but every once in a while I still get water on the floorboard.
The blower motor has stopped working three different times. Each time I removed it, blew out the water, sprayed it with WD-40, and it started working again.
The horn doesn't work. The relay is good, but the horn no worky. It's apparently a pain in the *** to get to on the supercharged cars. That's another upcoming project for when the bumper is off.
The front parking sensors don't work. According to SDD its all 4 of them. Probably that same wiring harness behind the bumper. Same upcoming project.
The hood lift struts wouldn't hold the hood up. I replaced them.
The leather on the dash is peeling up. It wasn't too bad when I bought the car a month ago, but it's much more noticeable now. Or maybe I just notice it more. I dunno...
The glove box slams open. I hear that's an easy fix. It's low on my priority list.
Some of the electronic issues I mentioned above might have been caused by the battery, so I replaced it even though it was less than a year old. That set me back $200.
The headliner had to be replaced. I found a guy who did a great job. Yet another $200.

There might be more... I need to think about it.

Old 06-19-2019, 05:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,150 Likes on 3,085 Posts

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
..............TPMS error comes and goes. I replaced all four TPMS sensors. That didn't fix it. It's the front right according to SDD. Brutal or Cambo said its probably the wire harness. I need to take the bumper cover off to get to it..............................
The questionable portion of the harness/bumper problem is nearly accessible through the right headlight hole when the headlight is removed. The harness gets pinched between the bumper bracket and bumper skin at that location. Pop out the headlight and it is easy to see if that's the problem. My harness is not pinched, but I get the F-R fail also.

Old 06-19-2019, 11:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 893 Posts

Just had the water pump and two hoses replaced at 37.2K miles. New part nrs are as follows:

water pump AJ 813909
Tube C218658
Outlet Pipe AJ813865
Tube AJ 813917
Total cost $1546.39
deductible 123.68 (under question)
"extended warranty" 1422.71 +$250 for towing

Old 06-20-2019, 12:08 AM
Received 88 Likes on 34 Posts

So Sheeba, my MY14 XK and I have just celebrated one year together. I have just picked her up from Jaguar of Huntington dealer after the most recent repairs, water pump and coolant outlet pipe. Yep that piece of plastic resin they keep putting into the cars that wears out due to the high temps, pressure and stress of heating/cooling. So in the past year since purchase with 55K on the odo at purchase, I have had two major repairs that left me calling a flatbed. Currently at 70K. All in all the repairs have cost me $980.00, mainly due to having the water pump covered under the CPO, Yelling and screaming about the short in the battery cable that was not covered, but Jaguar Customer Service Comped me; and the most recent non-covered item that damn piece of plastic. But they gave me a substantial discount. Now don't get the wrong impression of me, I love cars, have owned a bunch, some cheap, some modified, some poorly made and others down right bullet proof. I have wrenched on a few of them, although I am not a mechanic by trade, In fact It was my thread of Dec 9 where I called into question about Jaguar reliability. So just to be clear, I believe that luxury and HiPo cars can be engineered to be reliable and fast and luxurious. I also understand the if you drive them fast all the time they will break more often than if you drive them sedately or don't drive them at all (garage queens). When your manufacturer keeps using the same poor quality parts that breakdown after 50K miles, than something is wrong. You cannot win LeMans or Daytona or any other race if you cannot finish. So here is what I mean by poor quality and unreliable, the cheap - owned a Vega and a Pinto, neither made 100K miles without major repairs and counting. Dedicated mid-range cars keep your maintenance on schedule, '80 Fiat X/19 - 165K; Three, Diamond Star cars, AWD Turbo Eclipse and Eagle Talon, both with about 120k and heavily modified. and an entry level FWD Turbo 160K. The reliable cars, VWGTI, also modified 225K miles before breaking; and my Infiniti M35x also modified slightly - 206K. The kings of reliability were two Toyotas, one a beater I bought with 120K on the odo, took to 291k and a 2000 Celica GTS (new) 289K miles and heavily modified, ran so well the Ferrari shop which did the work on it bought it and tracked it. Of the cars I have owned I have driven almost 1.5 million miles. Of the reliable cars only the Celica had a major repair due to a bad radiator, temp switch and thermo. the Fiat was a weak transmission, broken synchros were easy to do. The Diamond Star cars, rubber timing belts and a close tolerance engines don't mix, along with bad main engine bearings. The GTI suffered from metal fatigue on the cast alternator arm that was part of the block. But many of those cars were built in simpler times. Now we have computerized start buttons. Jaguars can be very reliable if they would fix the known issues before 10 years go by, then retro-actively fix those cars already made if the cost is not overwhelming. Just look at what Hyundai has done in 12-15 years.

Old 08-27-2020, 11:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 651 Likes on 477 Posts

An update from a year later.
My original post:
Maintenance: Tires, Fluids, Filters, Batteries, Bulbs.
A Coolant fitting from the T-stat got a little leaky and needed replacement.

I started driving less, finally have encountered some of my first problems.
ABS/TC module is out. Can possibly be repaired instead of replaced.
AC compressor is out.

In the grande scheme of things, for a car that is such a peaceful environment to get behind the wheel in, I'm quite happy so far.
When I get it back from having the AC fixed, I'll be taking it out more often as I truly believe they last longer being driven.

I think if I'd stayed regular things would be fine.

All in all, still quite happy with the reliability of the car.

Old 08-27-2020, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 666 Likes on 451 Posts

20 months into ownership and no issues.

All of the money I've spent has been voluntary (in other words I could have spent less or not spent at all) so MPS4's all around, k&n filters when standard would have done, DTUK power control, TCU flash and pedal box plus, bovee wm1000 and lead, both insulator pads for the footwells (which were strangely missing) dash=cam, tracker, oil flush and basic dealer servicing.

Last edited by MarkyUK; 08-28-2020 at 03:07 AM.
Old 08-27-2020, 03:18 PM
Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts

2012 coupe bought 2 years ago 31000 miles now 64000 first year still under warranty
Water pump
Transmission
Transmission mount
Exhaust Y pipe by me
Steering column
Alarm sounder
Clockspring by me
AC compressor switch
Headliner replaced by me
Glove box repair by me
Battery, tires and brakes and the sensors as well as all fluids multiple times by me

Old 08-28-2020, 03:43 AM
Received 278 Likes on 103 Posts

No worries at all over 4 years, besides maintenance and the duckbill, the latter solved in an hour. So I spent my time (I'm DIY) doing all the maintenance the previous owners maybe forgot. 3 runs through German Autobahns and Austrian Alps to italy, no problems. Fab car Jag made.

Old 08-28-2020, 07:30 AM
Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Glad to hear you are farily trouble-free! Which Ctek charger is Jaguar-friendly?

Old 08-28-2020, 09:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 915 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by 80sRule
Mechanically excellent the 1 year and 6k I've owned it. Tpms sensors are being replaced soon, and i have a leak in my washer jug i need to fix. Relatively uneventful compared to my oldest stuff, even when they were this age and mileage.
Now 2 years and 17k total miles, car has 67k now.

1. Washer jug leak was a hose that slipped off and I just put it back on, it had a barb that would expand the hose to create the tension. So I put a tiny zip tie on the hose behind the barb, its been good for over a year now and was like 4 cents.
2. Bought Siemens TPMS on RockAuto for like $90 for the set. Put them in. They good.
3. I had my left headlight throw an active headlight error and get lazy like Paris Hiltons. I popped it out. Put it in a buddies garage oven. Separated the lens from the housing. Turned out the wiring insulation was falling off for the little motor that moves the bulb around. Replaced all the wires. Like $2 worth of very fine gauge wire. Worked great! It's been 3 months and all is good.
4. My dash had shrinkage issues (I JUST GOT OUT OF THE POOL). I found an immaculate dash on ebay for $700 shipped. I bought it. I did the staple fix at the leading edge documented by many, and have a strip over the staples. I broke a wire for the passenger airbag and had to solder a little but relatively painless swap!
5. I got a fancy full paint correction, all wheels refurbed, the two tiny door dings removed and ceramic coating. I paid $1100.
6. I got a CEL about a VVT actuator on the passenger side. $90 and maybe 2 hours? Very easy and fairly relaxing as far as repairs go.
7. I got a belt squeal. My car had never had the supercharger belt done. I did both the SC and Serpentine belts for like $60 for Goodyear belts.
8. I did supercharger oil ($28), brake fluid (valvoline synthetic full bleed, like $20), transmission fluid and filter+pan (all ZF maybe 250-300$), power steering fluid swap (like $10 of valvoline syntec ATF). Have not done rear diff yet.
9. I did air filters at the same time as the washer fluid fix since it involved taking off wheel liners; was like $30-40 for the pair of filters.
10. I bought a bunch of plastic retainer clips that were missing in the engine bay for like $10 and now it has all them and looks not hokey!
11. I bought a NERV Parking Pass sticker from a press event when ADV released the Platinum Complete collection for Neon Genesis Evangelion and put it on the car in the rear drivers window. Like $50. I'm a nerd.

Basically $2500 and I consider that cheap considering the existing cosmetic damage at purchase was 1800 of that amount. It looks great and has been brought really current on preventative maintenance. Great cars!

Old 08-28-2020, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,150 Likes on 3,085 Posts

Seven years and ten thousand miles+.......
One fuel injector.
Engine mount left side (I blame my extremely heavy foot.
Intake tube tear (caused by failed engine mount).
TPMS is a piece of ****, will disable the terminal thing.
I got a P0430 once, but it cleared and nothing has happened since, with no noticeable problems.

Old 08-28-2020, 11:05 AM
Received 278 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Clellandm
Glad to hear you are farily trouble-free! Which Ctek charger is Jaguar-friendly?
Can't remember buying anything special, just an ordinary CTEK, that brand

The following users liked this post:
Clellandm (08-31-2020)
Old 08-29-2020, 07:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 893 Posts

41/2 years 45k miles from new only extraordinary item was a water pump failure at about 33k miles. Also had TPMS unit replaced under warranty as well. Other than that trouble free.

Old 08-29-2020, 10:24 PM
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

I bought my 2010 with 26K miles on the odometer. There was a TSB on the rear suspension and the A/C fitting the previous owner never dealt with that needed attention which was factored into the purchase price. At around 50K a new radiator, water pump and coolant flush. Now at just under 57K the A/C pressure valve and right headlight on the fritz (it's likely chaffed wiring or a new leveling control unit).

I actually weighed trading the car last week instead of dealing with the expense of the A/C and headlight issue. I'm glad, well until I see the bill this coming week, I kept it. It's beautiful (I chose the XK-R over an Aston Vantage), a hoot to drive (it eats miles on the highway in great comfort) and unlike every other car out there, barring a few, it's unique. Probably like many of you the understated elegance drew me to the XK-R. I'm not a "Hey notice me" person but it's fun when you get a thumbs up.

Personally I could do without some stuff on today's cars, like the swiveling headlights, that just don't make much sense to me and seem to be a system that eventually malfunctions. My big fear with any modern car is the dashboard (GPS, stereo, etc.) going sideways as that's big money.

Feff

Last edited by Feffman; 08-29-2020 at 10:27 PM.
Old 08-31-2020, 09:43 AM
Received 272 Likes on 187 Posts

Had mine 5 and a half years and it has been reliable. It hasn't been used much but still ...

One major reason that I went for the X159 was that in almost every reliability report, it was as reliable or better than its rivals. Not what the vast majority of the public expects of a Jaguar but generally true. They are well made with few weaknesses. Sure some experience some problems but so do BMW, Mercedes, Audi and Lexus owners. The X150 is generally cheap to keep running for this type of car.

Quick Reply: Has your X150 not been troublesome?