XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Headlight Washer question

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 11:00 PM
Received 333 Likes on 201 Posts
Default Headlight Washer question

Hey Everybody,
On my 2007 XK my headlight washers to pop out and spray but the drivers side does not spray nearly as much as the passenger side. I suspect it might need a cleaning of the nozzle or something. How can I get the washers to stay extended out so I can analyze what might be clogging it up.

Old 02-18-2016, 10:15 AM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Not that it's much help but I had the same issue with my 2012XKR, I tried everything, removed pump and water tanks, blew out the lines with airlines etc. and it didn't help. I mentioned it to the dealer when it was in for service and they said it was a common problem, apparently there's an in-line filter somewhere that gets clogged. Unfortunately I haven't a clue where it is so can't help much but I'm sure someone on here must know.......

Old 02-18-2016, 11:41 AM

Do you happen to know how I can get the washers to stay extended? Do I grab it with my hand once they are out?

Old 02-19-2016, 03:44 AM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

You can very carefully pull them out if you can get your nails or a screwdriver in a rag underneath them. But there is the chance you will pull the cover off, apparently they're not very strong but I didn't have any issues. The spring is very strong and you can't really see much by pulling it out. Also I'm not sure how different the 2007 version is........

Old 02-21-2016, 11:38 AM

I made some observations and I have some questions: Both washers extend when I press the washer button on the stalk on the steering column. The passenger side sprays perfectly fine but the drivers side sprays nothing.

Question: do they extend via electricity or via water pressure (I suspect water pressure)
Next: If it is water pressure, then is that the same water that would be shooting through the nozzles? If yes, then that would mean that water is getting all the way to the nozzles and is not spaying through the nozzles [which means they are clogged] Can anybody confirm if this is how it actually works?

Thanks.

Old 02-21-2016, 04:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,888 Likes on 1,282 Posts

Pretty sure you've got it right.
I didn't think mine were working after I got the car, and before I knew about the relationship with the main washer intervals. I studied the diagrams and didn't see anything electrical about it, so I assumed I had a bad pump, and bought another. Fortunately I discovered how it relates to the mains before I replaced the pump.