XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help: Alternative to dealer programming smart prox remote?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 08:30 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Angry Help: Alternative to dealer programming smart prox remote?

I recently purchased a remote for my 09 XK on ebay. The dealer absurdly wants $225 to program it. Totally offended even my sensibilities. Any alternative to the dealer?? I live in S Fla

Old 01-15-2013, 08:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

Welcome to the forum, and to Jaguar!

Sadly I don't think your going to have much luck. Dealership programming has been pretty much the case for me on my last 3 cars (Audi, Lexus, and now Jag).... the joys of modern electronics....sigh...

-Vince

Old 01-16-2013, 04:52 AM

Thank you for the welcome and your response. Greatly appreciated!!!

Old 01-16-2013, 05:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

Welcome to the Forum
Please take a moment to visit
New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
and introduce yourself.

I understand these remotes need programming by a dealer or locksmith.
Apparently locksmiths are a lot cheaper.

AutoLocksmithFinder -Find an Automotive Locksmith in your area now!

Old 01-16-2013, 05:30 AM
GGG
Received 16,798 Likes on 12,167 Posts

Welcome to the forum XKGuy,

That'll be the Smart Key?

Help: Alternative to dealer programming smart prox remote?-xk-smart-key.jpg

As Vince says, it's a dealer or automotive locksmith job. The earlier 1997-2006 XK8/XKR remotes can be owner programmed but from the 2007 XK/XKR the Smart Key has to be programmed using the dealer diagnostic system.

When you get a minute, please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST section and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful information on posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 01-16-2013, 05:40 AM

Thanks Graham. So $225 is standard to program? The remote new OEM was $50 on ebay.
Scott

Old 01-16-2013, 09:20 AM
GGG
Received 16,798 Likes on 12,167 Posts

Originally Posted by XKGuy
Thanks Graham. So $225 is standard to program? The remote new OEM was $50 on ebay.
Scott
Scott,

I was surprised at the number of new Smart remotes available at this cost from eBay and other web sources. Significantly less than the earlier model where good used remotes go for about that and new ones can be double or more. New from dealer is, of course more again.

Programming cost is a little higher than I'd heard XK owners in the UK are paying but not excessively so. - despite your offended sensibilities!

Graham

Old 01-16-2013, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by GGG
Scott,

I was surprised at the number of new Smart remotes available at this cost from eBay and other web sources. Significantly less than the earlier model where good used remotes go for about that and new ones can be double or more. New from dealer is, of course more again.

Programming cost is a little higher than I'd heard XK owners in the UK are paying but not excessively so. - despite your offended sensibilities!

Graham
I've done some due Dilligence in regards to specialty auto locksmiths that program remotes however none seem to have the dedicated specialty program that is necessary for the smart key prox remote.

IMHO I still protest the over $200 dealer programming fee. It's excessive.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:19 PM
Veteran Member

One area I was wondering about is can those that buy the Mongoose diagnostic cable (or China clone) program the keys?

For $80 or so you could get to tool, install the software to your laptop and maybe sidestep the dealer?

(More of a question than a recommendation)
Vince

Old 01-16-2013, 10:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

I was going to suggest a Chinese clone as I have one and have seen the option in the menu. I haven't tried programming remotes with it though but everything else I have tried seems to work.

I used it recently to reset the gearbox adaptation because the gear changes on my recently purchased XKR were a bit rough. They are now as silky smooth as those on my XJ8 used to be.

The clones can be a bit fiddly to get going and you ideally need a spare laptop to use it with.

Old 01-17-2013, 03:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts
Default Have You Ever Felt Like Suing Your Remote?

While ing around trying to find a solution, I stumbled across this most highly entertaining piece from the June 2012 issue of Car and Driver magazine involving a Jaguar proximity remote, among others. The author is John Phillips, whose "lawsuit" is really an editorial. His purported attorney, Hugh Jim Bissell, is actually a political satirist. I hope you get as big a laugh as I did:

Quote:
Plaintiff Phillips, by his attorney, Hugh Jim Bissell, for his Complaint, alleges as follows:
NATURE OF THE ACTION

This is an action seeking redress for damages from the unceasing deleterious effects of Proximity Key Fobs and their associated push-button ignitions, which, when allied in co-conspiratorial portent,  have transformed Plaintiff’s life into a “festival of daily misery and spleen-piercing embarrassment.”

1. Plaintiff alleges that on November 7, 2011, he did drive to his customary domicile in a Jeep Grand Cherokee and did meet his wife at their shared mailbox, at which time aforesaid spouse articulated an immediate need for milk and bread and a desire to obtain such comestibles from a nearby 7-Eleven, whereupon Plaintiff vacated the driver’s seat, relaying primary control to his wife, who operated said vehicle successfully and safely until she attempted to restart its engine at the stipulated retail establishment. At that time, Plaintiff’s wife had no choice but to telephone Plaintiff, who had unknowingly stored the vehicle’s Proximity Key Fob in the pocket of his best trousers and who did, subsequently, suffer the torment and humiliation of mounting a family-owned bicycle to deliver a key fob to a vehicle otherwise “deader than John Wilkes Booth’s pet cat.” Plaintiff’s wife then did proceed to wage attacks on Plaintiff’s mental capacity and did materially question the status of both his manhood and their civil union, the two being impugned and upbraided in undignified and hurtful ways, inflicting lasting emotional censure for misconduct, for which Proximity Key Fobs, et al., are deemed liable.

2. Plaintiff alleges that in October of 2010, he did place a Proximity Key Fob on the roof of a Jaguar sedan, selecting that placement for the purpose of security and utmost visibility to colleagues who would otherwise fail to find it hidden, as it was, in the center console, and that unknown person or persons then did start the aforesaid vehicle, driving it in an aggressive fashion, causing said Proximity Key Fob to hurtle through the atmosphere at a velocity capable of “putting a man’s eye right damned out,” after which brief flight it came to rest on the berm of Ohio State Route 374, where it intermingled with colorful organic debris and remained stubbornly camouflaged despite a subsequent on-foot manhunt sufficient in size, scope, and diligence to have safely secured the Lindbergh baby. Whereupon Plaintiff did notice himself involuntarily repeating a foul and obscene verb, deploying it also as a noun, adjective, and direct object, and Plaintiff did further witness his blood pressure “pull a full Mount St. Helens” that left him dizzy, abusive, and dangerously vulnerable to the darker effects of alcohol.

3. Plaintiff does further note an identical “Flying Fob” event during a comparison test involving a Nissan Juke, in which subsequent search parties led Plaintiff “eerily close to a murder scene.” Plaintiff, at this time, does herewith widen accusation of suffering to include a 2012 Toyota Camry that did, “somehow through evil magic combined with black-juju astronomy,” lock all four of its own doors even though its Proximity Key Fob was satisfactorily and correctly deposited in the vehicle’s center console, where it had been touched or molested by not even anyone’s imagination. Plaintiff alleges additionally that the embarrassment attached to the admission of this theoretically impossible event left him feeling “hollow and dirty,” for which Proximity Key Fobs, et al., shall bear charge for recompense.

WHEREFORE, Plaintiff Phillips does herewith respectfully request this Court to enter judgment on claims specified and, moreover, to stipulate relief appropriate to harm. To wit, Plaintiff  requests:

a.) that manufacturers of Proximity Key Fobs do freely and openly confess to Plaintiff’s aggrieved wife and to Plaintiff’s suspicious employer that said devices are designed only for persons with a “major crapload of free time on their hands”; that said devices are further intended to muddle the already confused minds of middle-aged men with male-pattern baldness; and that this particular scheme for starting an automobile is widely understood to demand two to five wasted motions and thus does fail all known motion studies for humans, for lesser pandas, and for edentate mammals.

b.) that manufacturers of Proximity Key Fobs shall locate a private place away from minors and from potential heart-attack candidates and shall then perform upon themselves a vigorous sexual act that is largely judged by the mainstream citizenry to be anatomically impossible or at least extremely difficult, and that said act further be witnessed by six high-school librarians who are free to comment openly on the levels of grossness they are observing.

c.) that manufacturers of Proximity Key Fobs shall supply Plaintiff with a lifetime’s worth of “actual frigging real steel keys that slide into actual frigging real steel ignition tumblers” and that such supplied keys can further be “rotated in real steel locks that cause the actual frigging real steel doors to frigging open.”

PLAINTIFF PHILLIPS, by his attorney, does earnestly now petition this Court in expectation of relief and redress, not to mention the chance to let fly a big fat “I told you so.”
End Quote.

Here's the link:John Phillips: In The Matter of Phillips v. Proximity Key Fobs, et al - Column - Car and Driver

Stuart

Old 01-17-2013, 03:46 PM
Veteran Member

Fun! Thanks