Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help changing brake pads on 2008 XKR

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 02:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help changing brake pads on 2008 XKR

First of all hello everyone!!!

I am the proud owner of a white 2008 XKR since five years. I Have 110K kms and zero problems, the car runs excellent and gives me nothing more than happiness and speed Best car in the world.

I use it everyday, long distance trips, weekends on twisty roads and I even take it to a circuit a couple of times a year.

Now I need some help changing the brake pads (wear indicators are screaming). I didn't find anything specific about this car…

Anything particular about XK/XKR150 I should be careful about?

Is it necessary to disconnect the battery before replacing the pads?

What kind of tools will I need? Do I need a C clamp to push the cylinder back?

Is it necessary to do anything with the electronic park brake or the brake fluid?

What kind grease do I need to use?

I have zero mechanic skills, but it seems quite straight forward and I want to give it a try.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 09-07-2017, 02:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,889 Likes on 1,283 Posts
The following users liked this post:
WolfdogXKR (09-09-2017)
Old 09-09-2017, 03:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kj07xk
Thanks for your reply.

After reading the post above, i decided to go to a mechanic friend of mine and do the job myself but with his guidance and tools.

I only did the rear breaks as those were where the noise came from.

First thing was to hook the car up to diagnostic and deactivate the park brake. Car must be in neutral.

Then remove the wheel, remove the xkr cover, remove the little wire, remove the 2 back "big" screws.

Remove the pads with a large screwdriver for leverage. Remove the big metal piece with the brake line and piston. Place it in such a way that it is not hanging by the brake lines... and finally remove the worn pads.

Then you need the special tool and use it to compress the cylinder. Nothing was done with the brake liquid or reservoir or anything.

Then place the new pads, put the caliper back on and tighten the 2 big screws at the back. Put on the wire spring and finally the cover. My mechanic told me that no grease needed to be applied. I will be replacing the rotors with my next oil, filter and tyre change (soon).

Same on the other side.

When finished we hooked the car up to the diagnostic and the park brake was turned on again. A "purring" noise was heard when it was turned on.

When I turned the car ON, it asked me to activate the foot and parking brake. I pressed the brake several times. First it was soft and then it hardened as the piston adjusted to the new pads. I then activated the parking brake.

And that was pretty much it

CleverName (09-13-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 06:16 PM
Rey
Received 144 Likes on 100 Posts

When replacing rotors do compare Jaguar OEM pricing with aftermarket rotors from such sources as Centric or Stoptec.

Old 09-13-2017, 10:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

I never bothered with the ECU parking brake commands, and did the rears as I would any car.

Simple enough, and when done, it prompted the same message of 'activate the parking brake... etc....'
Couple cycles of each, and I was good to go...

Vince

Cee Jay (09-13-2017)