XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Help: Convertible mechanism inactive

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 05:14 AM
Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Help: Convertible mechanism inactive

2007 XK Convertible.

Battery is wearing down and probably needs replacing. I typically use a battery maintainer in the winter, but my old one failed and hadn't bought a new one. I jumped the car, went and bought a new battery charger/ maintainer, hooked it up and thought, problem solved (again).

I took the car out the next day (try to take it out once a week), and the windows nor the convertible top worked. I pulled the centerpiece out in the back and pressed all the fuses, though none seemed to have "popped". Was ready to take it to the dealership to have it checked out, got half mile down the road and decided to test the windows again and they worked.

Since I have a flu, I did a quick U-turn, parked the car away in the garage and climbed back under the blanket on the couch and hugged my Kleenex box. A couple days later, the sun peaks out and I need some more Kleenex so I choose to drive the XK and head to the market. Windows work fine, but when I get there, I decide to try the convertible top, no go.

Of course, I then remember that in order to get to the battery, I took out the rollout thing. I go home, replace the rollout thing, sneeze a couple times, test the retract button, and...nothing. Usually when the rollout thing isn't seated properly, a message pops up on the dashboard. In this case, there's no pop up message, just the despair of a unresponsive button on a Jag.

Do I have to take it to the dealership and have to pay them $186 to tell me that I have to stand on one leg, chant an incantation, twirl one arm in the air and then press some hidden reset button with the other?

I've got the XK repair manual and tried to scan through it, but didn't see anything that specifically addressed this issue. Any suggestions?

PS: The battery charger/maintainer has both functions that automatically roll from charge to maintain.

Last edited by FRGIII2014; 12-31-2016 at 05:21 AM.
Old 12-31-2016, 05:55 AM
Received 77 Likes on 50 Posts

Did you do the window reset procedure? I don't remember the exact sequence but I think it was in the manual.

Old 12-31-2016, 07:53 AM
Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

No, windows worked without reset, though I'll go check that out because the convertible top is sensitive.

Old 12-31-2016, 12:40 PM
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Since you clearly have a bad case of man-flu, your car is looking after you and not letting a load of cold air swirl around your poorly head.

Wait until the flu has cleared. Go tell the Jag nicely and I'm sure it'll let you drop the roof then.

Get well soon!

The following users liked this post:
ralphwg (12-31-2016)
Old 12-31-2016, 02:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Start the car and run through the reset procedure with the windows per the manual.. If the top is closed, then hold the top open button for a minute. The top may eventually come to life and drop.

If it does not, you will likely need to manually retract the top to reset it (also in the manual, but a bit of a process)

If you are in Northern VA, I am not far and would be happy to help you (once you are better!) Drop me a PM if you want.