Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

And the hits keep coming!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by LoudHogRider
Suddenly, I'm glad I have the 4.2 vs. the 5.0 and all of it's systemic water pump issues. Eeek.
Just hear say with no data to back it up. I would not be concerned until or unless there is creditable data to support this as an issue. Ask your self out of the tens of thousands of XK's or Jags built from 2009 - 2015 with the 5.0L engine how many water pump failures have there been. Now how many XK owners are on this form and how many WP failures have we actually experienced. Because the change in part numbers has anyone seen the differences in each one.

Old 08-30-2016, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,181 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Suddenly, I'm glad I have the 4.2 vs. the 5.0 and all of it's systemic water pump issues. Eeek.
Me, I have now 62,000 miles on my 2010 XKR, and absolutely ZERO problems with the water pump. No drips, no smell, no low coolant, nothing.
Plus, the ONLY thing that's gone wrong with the entire car in those 62,000 miles is a single tire pressure sensor which Discount Tires replaced for me free of charge. I did replace the battery last year, but that was more of a maintenance issue.
My wife's brand new Lexus RX350 already had one problem, albeit a tiny one... a loose interior piece on the driver door which was replaced.
So going by THIS, my Jag is 12 times more reliable than a Lexus, as so far One Problem in 6 months for the Lexus vs. Zero Problems for my Jaguar in 6 years.
Now I'm GLAD I don't have a Lexus with their horrible quality and reliability........

Old 08-30-2016, 12:32 PM
Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

Loath:

Have you considered an exorcist?

Old 08-31-2016, 09:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 346 Likes on 239 Posts

Got a call back from the dealership. The Air Motor Blower failed - "total coincidence" they assure me.

FACT - I gave them the car with the blower working fine - It was given back dead. My after Market Jag Vehicle Protection warranty will cover this. (THANK GOD FOR THAT!!)... however I will need to pay the deductible :O

Regarding the Screams under my hood. Of course its belts. Of course its likely coolant that got on the belts. They said - "The belts are fine and DO NOT need changed, "we" just need to do a better job cleaning them up..What happened was when your water pump started to leak it got the belts wet."

FACT - When I arrived there was never any squeaking on belts...in fact car was running perfectly just some spots on my floor - when I got my car back there was squeaking everywhere....ear bleeding squeaking!. Who exactly spilled what on my belts when??

We shall see if my air is working and car is squeaking come Friday when they said the car will be done. Which means - I will be getting it sometime mid-late next week or week after with something else broke completely unrelated.

Loth

Last edited by Lothar52; 08-31-2016 at 09:22 AM.
Old 08-31-2016, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,905 Likes on 1,292 Posts

Justified.

Old 08-31-2016, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 632 Likes on 409 Posts

That sucks, I never buy the coincidence excuse. Perhaps they are buffoons, it is very hard to contest though. How could you prove it was something they did? I have been down this rabbit hole also.

Also, what if it really has nothing to do with them and it failed on it's own? If that really is the case then you are a jackass for taking out your frustrations of owning a problematic used car on them.

Not trying to accuse you of anything, I am looking at this objectively as an outsider. I don't know that you can get to the bottom of the root cause for the new failure. Perhaps stop all work and have it moved to another dealer (if available) to evaluate what they did or did not do right?

Regardless, I understand how frustrating this can be to have your beautiful XKR in for this many failures, some that are repetitive issues.

Old 08-31-2016, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member

Yeah that's why im just going to have them fix it and pay the deductible. I cant prove anything - they certainly wont admit anything. so ???

Old 08-31-2016, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member

Only other option besides sucking it up is to stop all repairs and have it moved to another dealer to evaluate the first dealers work.

If there was something that indicated ineptitude for the first dealer then what do you do, I don't know, all you are out is a $100 deductible, so you would be entitled to challenge the first dealer to cover that cost. Perhaps some lost time, a couple of days. It is small on monetary value but high on irritation meter and time cost to you. At that point you would need to exercise your consumer right to choose another provider and never give your business to the first one, if you feel that they really are screwing up your car.

Old 08-31-2016, 11:07 AM
Veteran Member

My concern if you still get the squeal would be in the belt tensioner pulley bearing. If the belts got wet my bet is the front of the engine did too whether it was from the WP or from them not draining the system correctly. Also there are other bearings there although sealed may have been compromised.

Old 08-31-2016, 02:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 282 Likes on 170 Posts

Perhaps it is time to sell this car and drive the XKR-S.

Old 08-31-2016, 02:35 PM
Veteran Member

You know I just had a totally rude and inappropriate client. I know how tough it can be to please customers. Just gonna say at this point I just want the car fixed and fixed. If the deductible is what it will cost SO BE IT. Just get it done. I will continue to be nice. You know I doubt they meant for any of this to happen - lord knows they are sick of seeing me with this d%$& car.

Old 08-31-2016, 02:41 PM
Received 420 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Just hear say with no data to back it up. I would not be concerned until or unless there is creditable data to support this as an issue. Ask your self out of the tens of thousands of XK's or Jags built from 2009 - 2015 with the 5.0L engine how many water pump failures have there been. Now how many XK owners are on this form and how many WP failures have we actually experienced. Because the change in part numbers has anyone seen the differences in each one.
You're right, I don't have empirical evidence regarding the # of water pump failures on the 5.0 engine. Just thread after thread of anecdotal evidence from Forum members who indicate this is a 'known issue' for the 5.0.

My point stands - the 4.2 has served me well for 65,000 miles with the original water pump. I'm sure there are 5.0 owners who can say the same thing. Just not Lothar.

The following users liked this post:
Lothar52 (08-31-2016)
Old 08-31-2016, 02:50 PM
Veteran Member

You're right, I don't have empirical evidence regarding the # of water pump failures on the 5.0 engine. Just thread after thread of anecdotal evidence from Forum members who indicate this is a 'known issue' for the 5.0.

My point stands - the 4.2 has served me well for 65,000 miles with the original water pump. I'm sure there are 5.0 owners who can say the same thing. Just not Lothar.
Yep I hear ya and it seems that being there are so few posters on this part of the form the rumor spreads fast. I'll wait to see if/when it happens and go from there. I check my fluids once a week and so far when I pull the cap and look into the tank the antifreeze is on the divider in the tank. Hasn't moved in the 2 years and 10K miles I put on it. It is disappointing to think they would fail at such low mileage. We've got 365K miles on our Volvo and it's on it's 2nd WP.

Lothar52 (08-31-2016)
Old 08-31-2016, 03:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagRag
Perhaps it is time to sell this car and drive the XKR-S.
I got too much into it... done too much to make it better then the first owner. If the water pump would be good the car is good. I hope this is the last one!

Old 08-31-2016, 05:47 PM
Received 189 Likes on 88 Posts

If you REALLY think this is going to be the last problem you have with them ... I bet you put a glass of milk and a plate of cookies under your Christmas tree each year ... just sayin'!

Old 08-31-2016, 06:41 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 928 Likes on 607 Posts

Damn Ryan, Jaguar is messing with their best customer. I would call out to Jaguar USA with a phone call and follow it up with a polite letter if I were you. Let them know your made from Jaguar DNA. I can see you in many future Jaguar productions and I'm hoping Jaguar will see the light and take care of you between your extended third party warranty and themselves. I feel like calling Jaguar myself to let them know what a huge fan you are of the brand--you have Jaguar in your blood.

I followed your initial problem you had with your XKR-S and purchased my second XKR only after Jaguar fixed your XKR-S to your satisfaction. I sold my 2013 XKR with only 8,000 miles and again I find myself wanting another one. I'm interested in a convertible 2015 for next summer. Yes, these are beautiful cars that put a smile on our faces and should continue to. If Jaguar looses you as a customer they loose a lot more than a customer. You're the de facto spokes person for Jaguar on this forum. I'm not saying you're about to throw in the towel, but I'm sure this is effecting your enthusiasm for the brand.

Last edited by DGL; 08-31-2016 at 06:46 PM.
Old 08-31-2016, 07:40 PM
Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Snide72
If you REALLY think this is going to be the last problem you have with them ... I bet you put a glass of milk and a plate of cookies under your Christmas tree each year ... just sayin'!

I'll raise that a bottle of Johnnie Walker Black.

Old 08-31-2016, 09:47 PM
Veteran Member

Sigh, when I had my Boxster everyone was saying on the boards (in 2001 mind you) that there was an RMS/IMS issue. Most people said it was a small percentage, just a couple of vocal complainers, most didn't have a problem. I was of that mind also. Then it happened to me and I had to have a full engine replacement, thankfully the IMS failed under factory warranty. Same with every issue that came up on my BMW 650, some folks would have a common issue and so they started calling it a weak point everyone will experience. Plenty of folks perked up and proved that it wasn't a problem for them. In my BMW every problem that was brought up as "common" ended up happening to me!

Where there is smoke there is fire, my non-scientific history on boards and with previous cars has told me that the majority of owners will not have the water pump issue. However, it has happened to enough folks to indicate that there is an unusual frequency, it might just be 10% or 20% of the owners, but you can't say it is 0%. I hate that I have read these threads, this means (again I say this because of my past history) that it will happen to me, it always does!

I still feel confident in my car, I am not a "sky is falling" and think everyone is going to have a water pump failure even if I eventually experience this issue.

LoudHogRider (09-06-2016)
Old 09-01-2016, 05:44 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DGL
Damn Ryan, Jaguar is messing with their best customer. I would call out to Jaguar USA with a phone call and follow it up with a polite letter if I were you. Let them know your made from Jaguar DNA. I can see you in many future Jaguar productions and I'm hoping Jaguar will see the light and take care of you between your extended third party warranty and themselves. I feel like calling Jaguar myself to let them know what a huge fan you are of the brand--you have Jaguar in your blood.

I followed your initial problem you had with your XKR-S and purchased my second XKR only after Jaguar fixed your XKR-S to your satisfaction. I sold my 2013 XKR with only 8,000 miles and again I find myself wanting another one. I'm interested in a convertible 2015 for next summer. Yes, these are beautiful cars that put a smile on our faces and should continue to. If Jaguar looses you as a customer they loose a lot more than a customer. You're the de facto spokes person for Jaguar on this forum. I'm not saying you're about to throw in the towel, but I'm sure this is effecting your enthusiasm for the brand.
Thanks DGL... I do love my jags that is for sure!! I probably won't leave the brand.... Certainly won't give up on this car... Just won't be able to buy a new one too soon for fears this one will need funds to get fixed! :O

Old 09-01-2016, 07:38 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tampamark
Sigh, when I had my Boxster everyone was saying on the boards (in 2001 mind you) that there was an RMS/IMS issue. Most people said it was a small percentage, just a couple of vocal complainers, most didn't have a problem. I was of that mind also. Then it happened to me and I had to have a full engine replacement, thankfully the IMS failed under factory warranty. Same with every issue that came up on my BMW 650, some folks would have a common issue and so they started calling it a weak point everyone will experience. Plenty of folks perked up and proved that it wasn't a problem for them. In my BMW every problem that was brought up as "common" ended up happening to me!

Where there is smoke there is fire, my non-scientific history on boards and with previous cars has told me that the majority of owners will not have the water pump issue. However, it has happened to enough folks to indicate that there is an unusual frequency, it might just be 10% or 20% of the owners, but you can't say it is 0%. I hate that I have read these threads, this means (again I say this because of my past history) that it will happen to me, it always does!

I still feel confident in my car, I am not a "sky is falling" and think everyone is going to have a water pump failure even if I eventually experience this issue.
I would go with 1-2% maybe considering the number of 5.0L engines built. Then you need to break it down between XK and XKR where the thermostat housing may be the culprit and the WP being the "while you're in there" dealer choice. I wonder how many of the few had seen or asked to see the bad WP and what the failure was.

Quick Reply: And the hits keep coming!!!!