XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How do you enjoy your XK without needing to speed

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 09:51 AM
Received 420 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by trw999
I find driving with my wife next to me slows me down ....
I, too, am married to a fun suppressor.

Old 12-09-2016, 12:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

Aren't we all?

Old 12-17-2016, 07:01 PM
Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

I can't...don't...I really want to and some days I am good, really I am, but then I just go bad and things start moving faster and the noise of the exhaust makes me crazy and I have to go even faster and before I know it we are flying...I'm not really sorry, and as soon as you turn your back I will slam that pedal to the floor and you can kiss my wide *** goodby.

Old 12-17-2016, 07:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by ralphwg
Aren't we all?
Actually my bride drives faster then I do. She has had the car in 3 figures which I haven't done yet. In fact she took my old Ferrari up into 3 figures right after I got that. I never had that over 90. I guess I just don't want to get the ticket , after all I've only had one ticket in my life and that was back in 1964 for having 4 in the front of my Corvette.

The following users liked this post:
sharx8 (12-18-2016)
Old 12-17-2016, 07:11 PM
Received 70 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Actually my bride drives faster then I do. She has had the car in 3 figures which I haven't done yet. In fact she took my old Ferrari up into 3 figures right after I got that. I never had that over 90. I guess I just don't want to get the ticket , after all I've only had one ticket in my life and that was back in 1964 for having 4 in the front of my Corvette.
Toes, say it ain't so... 90?

Old 12-17-2016, 08:39 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by AllblueACR
Toes, say it ain't so... 90?
Nope was doing 70 on an interstate and came up on a guy doing 60 so I punched it and before I knew it I was at 90. Had to hit the brakes to bring it back down.

Old 12-17-2016, 09:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

Around Southern California, the traffic is so heavy nearly 24 hours a day, that just going the posted speed limit once in a while is a treat. However, getting to that limit can be loads of fun! On the rare occasion (usually before 5am) where one can exceed the limit, I can find myself up to about 90mph before I get nervous that a Highway Patrolman will pop out of somewhere. So I get my "fix" for high speed runs a couple of times a year at track day events where you don't have to worry about law enforcement and your only limits are your gonads. For a couple of hundred dollars you take all the risk out of the equation but retain all the joy. I have missed the last few events due to work, but at Buttonwillow Raceway which is about an hour from my home. there is one coming in early February that I hope to make. It will be the first time since doing the pulley/tune/exhaust modifications, and I just want to be able to open her up. Sometime next month, when I get my restored '72 Pantera back with a "new" 500hp engine, fuel injection, big throat headers and several other upgrades, I will also want to take it out to the track just to be able to open her up and hear that glorious exhaust (that would make F-type owners blush). Without such luxuries as power steering and adaptive shocks, it's not as easy or enjoyable to fling around a track as the XKR (in fact, on technical tracks with lots of tight turns, at the end of the day you feel as if you've been beaten up), but flat out on the straightaways and on high speed sweeper curves, there's nothing like being so close to the road surface that you think you're in a go cart. Well you really are as the Pantera is less than 40" tall. It also weighs somewhere around 2900lbs. I'm nervously anticipating our next ride together, it's been nearly 2 years. If it's ready in time and we've had a chance to break in the engine, I will probably take both the XKR and the Pantera up to Buttonwillow. Interestingly, the Pantera's 5 speed shifter (and Jagtoes, I'm sure you can appreciate this) has the same gate as the older Ferraris, and the ZF gearbox is so notchy that shifting quickly is nearly impossible, so you simply don't. You accelerate to 3rd and then leave it there using the tremendous torque to make up the difference. I'd love to have paddle shifters in that car!

Attached Thumbnails How do you enjoy your XK without needing to speed-group-b-cotton-corners-top-cp4_1365-jan3015-photo_by_brian.jpg   How do you enjoy your XK without needing to speed-vp__3982-1280x853-.jpg  
ralphwg (12-18-2016)
Old 12-18-2016, 08:00 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by tberg
Around Southern California, the traffic is so heavy nearly 24 hours a day, that just going the posted speed limit once in a while is a treat. However, getting to that limit can be loads of fun! On the rare occasion (usually before 5am) where one can exceed the limit, I can find myself up to about 90mph before I get nervous that a Highway Patrolman will pop out of somewhere. So I get my "fix" for high speed runs a couple of times a year at track day events where you don't have to worry about law enforcement and your only limits are your gonads. For a couple of hundred dollars you take all the risk out of the equation but retain all the joy. I have missed the last few events due to work, but at Buttonwillow Raceway which is about an hour from my home. there is one coming in early February that I hope to make. It will be the first time since doing the pulley/tune/exhaust modifications, and I just want to be able to open her up. Sometime next month, when I get my restored '72 Pantera back with a "new" 500hp engine, fuel injection, big throat headers and several other upgrades, I will also want to take it out to the track just to be able to open her up and hear that glorious exhaust (that would make F-type owners blush). Without such luxuries as power steering and adaptive shocks, it's not as easy or enjoyable to fling around a track as the XKR (in fact, on technical tracks with lots of tight turns, at the end of the day you feel as if you've been beaten up), but flat out on the straightaways and on high speed sweeper curves, there's nothing like being so close to the road surface that you think you're in a go cart. Well you really are as the Pantera is less than 40" tall. It also weighs somewhere around 2900lbs. I'm nervously anticipating our next ride together, it's been nearly 2 years. If it's ready in time and we've had a chance to break in the engine, I will probably take both the XKR and the Pantera up to Buttonwillow. Interestingly, the Pantera's 5 speed shifter (and Jagtoes, I'm sure you can appreciate this) has the same gate as the older Ferraris, and the ZF gearbox is so notchy that shifting quickly is nearly impossible, so you simply don't. You accelerate to 3rd and then leave it there using the tremendous torque to make up the difference. I'd love to have paddle shifters in that car!
Good show and have some fun. Yep I remember the "snick , snick " sound going through the gated shifter , especially with the cold 2nd gear issues on the F car. Go for it.

Old 12-18-2016, 11:01 AM
Received 98 Likes on 39 Posts

I find the best way to enjoy it without speeding is just enjoying looking at the lines as it sits in the driveway after cleaning it. Other than that, I enjoy taking it on the local Porsche Club rally's. Their low-key events that my wife enjoys... I navigate while she drives.

AllblueACR (12-18-2016)
Old 12-18-2016, 03:36 PM
Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Lot of `Flachkäfer`on the left side :-)

Old 10-17-2017, 07:30 PM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

On ramps, and overpasses mainly. Giving it just enough gas at a stop sign or red light to purr.

However, one day a suped up pickup with giant wheels (you know the annoying how high can I make my truck go off the ground type?) tore down the road far enough ahead of me not to matter that they billowed out as much smog as possible (I'd call it crop dusting the folks behind them).

Caught up to him at a set of lights with two lanes. I had the top down and was not about to let my wife eat his dust, literally, so saw an opening in front of him and took it, without being overly annoying or angry. Didn't have to cut him off.

At next light just a hundred yards ahead, still two lanes about to turn to one, they were right behind me in the right lane. One car ahead of us in same lane. Left hand lane guy turned left. As he saw his opening, he tried to speed past me, but the XKR said, uh uh, not today friend. Zipped in front of them before he could get going and passed the car in front of me, trapping them behind him. Then I proceeded to drive the speed limit, 35 or so down the road for a mile or so, until the road forked and they went left. Guy I thought I saved from the smog behind me, who I thought I was doing a favor, had the nerve to beep the second the light turned green near my house. Jealous anyone?

It's nice to have the power when "needed." Even more fun to let the car next to you go first...which usually leaves them baffled. I know I could toast you, but I'm a gentlemen in a gentlemen's car.

Old 10-17-2017, 09:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 359 Likes on 254 Posts

"I'm a gentlemen in a gentlemen's car." Yes, we are.....

Old 10-18-2017, 02:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 733 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by RedRider48
"I'm a gentlemen in a gentlemen's car." Yes, we are.....
Well... most of the time.

Old 10-18-2017, 10:36 AM
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts

For me it's how you get to the limit and the ability to quickly and safely pass those stopping me from getting to said limit.
Plus the wonderful exhaust notes.

Old 10-19-2017, 01:51 PM
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,784 Posts

My 2007 X150 (Emerald Fire Pearl over Caramel) is driven about 1000 miles per year, so I don't usually push her very hard when I do take her out.

I enjoy driving along the Pacific Coast Highway from Newport Beach towards Dana Point with the windows down just slightly below the speed limit, enjoying the views. I also enjoy all the positive comments and enthusiasm when stopped at a traffic signal.

I do not feel the need to drive her hard to enjoy my time behind the wheel.

Old 10-19-2017, 06:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

I just can't do it. Muddled in traffic through a construction zone this evening. Dingle wad in a Jeep surging back and forth in front of me. Millennial in a Red Camry zooms up the right side looking to cut in front of me. Full size Chevy pushing him. Semi in the mix too and we're all doing the inchworm shuffle between 35 and 50 mph. Gas, brake, gas, brake, gas, brake, ugh. After 1/4 mile of expecting impending doom I'm looking for the 'Deploy Turret' button...

Then blessed as can be the third lane opens up. Jeep jumps over but get's blocked by a 6 pot stang. Jeep's still surging along pushing the stang but finally the middle lane opens up. Jeep boy is intent on oscillating 3-20' away from the stang who's almost doing the speed limit. Semi in the right lane is staying there, jeep still hasn't jumped around the stang and a little nudge against the magic pedal brings us down a gear and pulling nicely. Coming up beside the stang, look over and he's looking longingly at the XKR's lovely flanks so the devil grabs my foot and the go fast pedal presses harder, down two gears, the demon roars, the 6 pot stang fades into a distant memory of regret and I laugh out loud as we pass up through 110 mph with three miles of straight and only a couple random cars in the slow lane. No 'need' to push harder so we back it down to a respectable 85 with nary a car within 1/2 mile of three lane heading into the sunset.

The following 2 users liked this post by Ranchero50:
GhostRider9000 (04-21-2018), ralphwg (10-19-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 10:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

What is really nice with the XKR is if you don't want to let somebody pass you ----- They Can't!! And as a bonus for me it is great on the twisties.

Old 10-19-2017, 11:23 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 1 of 19
Well... most of the time.
Ha, Ha, most of the time....
until I get into my 65 cvt Mustang dynoed at 380+ RWHP

Attached Thumbnails How do you enjoy your XK without needing to speed-new-muffs.jpg   How do you enjoy your XK without needing to speed-mustang-2009.jpg  
Old 10-19-2017, 11:25 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ranchero50
I just can't do it. Muddled in traffic through a construction zone this evening. Dingle wad in a Jeep surging back and forth in front of me. Millennial in a Red Camry zooms up the right side looking to cut in front of me. Full size Chevy pushing him. Semi in the mix too and we're all doing the inchworm shuffle between 35 and 50 mph. Gas, brake, gas, brake, gas, brake, ugh. After 1/4 mile of expecting impending doom I'm looking for the 'Deploy Turret' button...

Then blessed as can be the third lane opens up. Jeep jumps over but get's blocked by a 6 pot stang. Jeep's still surging along pushing the stang but finally the middle lane opens up. Jeep boy is intent on oscillating 3-20' away from the stang who's almost doing the speed limit. Semi in the right lane is staying there, jeep still hasn't jumped around the stang and a little nudge against the magic pedal brings us down a gear and pulling nicely. Coming up beside the stang, look over and he's looking longingly at the XKR's lovely flanks so the devil grabs my foot and the go fast pedal presses harder, down two gears, the demon roars, the 6 pot stang fades into a distant memory of regret and I laugh out loud as we pass up through 110 mph with three miles of straight and only a couple random cars in the slow lane. No 'need' to push harder so we back it down to a respectable 85 with nary a car within 1/2 mile of three lane heading into the sunset.
Ha, Ha, naughty boy tude.....

Old 12-04-2017, 10:12 PM
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
Talking

A few observations:
1) The car don't go 55 !
2) I can never go faster than the guy who passes me at 90+ MPH !
3) If you want to go fast, drive the Interstate Highways in Connecticut, where no one pays attention to the speed limits.
4) If you have it today, don't wait until tomorrow 'cause tomorrow never happens.

Oh and while we're on the subject of speed, the car vibrates at speeds over 95 MPH, I am thinking maybe new wheels and tires, at least before I put in on a track in the Spring. Any suggestions??