XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

I powder coated my calipers and got to show them off at Brits on the Bay!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 08:12 PM
Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts
Default I powder coated my calipers and got to show them off at Brits on the Bay!

I took my car to the shop last week for an oil change, changed brake pads to ceramics (I hate that dust!) and had them investigate an intermittent left front turn signal issue. While it was there I sent my calipers to get powdercoated. I'm very happy with them. The guy custom made the jaguar logos for me, powdercoated the text in silver with the red so it should be as permanent as powder coating can get. $300! I feel like that was a great deal. The logos are just slightly smaller than the OEM ones but otherwise indistinguishable.

I also swapped out my center wheel caps for red ones I got on ebay for $10ish. They didn't fit tight so I put a rubber band around them to firm up the fit. It works fine for now but I'm not sure how long it will stay put.

They couldn't figure out the turn signal and was thinking they might need to pull the whole light assembly but at the car show I talked to the mechanic and he said there was an electrical board outside of the assy that might be the culprit. We'll see.

So today was the Pensacola Brits on the Bay car show and I got to spend the day looking at a wide variety of awesome cars, MGs, Jags, Lotus, Vauxhall, Caterham, LR, Austin Healey, Sunbeams, etc. and talking to their owners. In my division there were 4 XKs and 3 F-types.

Here's a whole album of pics of my car along with others from the show. (Brits on the Bay 2017 - Album on Imgur)

The following 4 users liked this post by apost8n8:
LoudHogRider (04-24-2017), ralphwg (04-23-2017), Sean W (04-22-2017), sharx8 (04-23-2017)
Old 04-22-2017, 08:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts

Very nice!

Old 04-22-2017, 08:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

Indeed, nice.

I just finished taking a heat gun to the tabs on my loose caps and tweaked the hot tabs outwards a bit. Made them lock up tight in the wheel.

Old 04-22-2017, 09:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,414 Posts

pics????

And you need a new switch/stalk. Common problem on these cars.

Originally Posted by apost8n8
I took my car to the shop last week for an oil change, changed brake pads to ceramics (I hate that dust!) and had them investigate an intermittent left front turn signal issue. While it was there I sent my calipers to get powdercoated. I'm very happy with them. The guy custom made the jaguar logos for me, powdercoated the text in silver with the red so it should be as permanent as powder coating can get. $300! I feel like that was a great deal. The logos are just slightly smaller than the OEM ones but otherwise indistinguishable.

I also swapped out my center wheel caps for red ones I got on ebay for $10ish. They didn't fit tight so I put a rubber band around them to firm up the fit. It works fine for now but I'm not sure how long it will stay put.

They couldn't figure out the turn signal and was thinking they might need to pull the whole light assembly but at the car show I talked to the mechanic and he said there was an electrical board outside of the assy that might be the culprit. We'll see.

So today was the Pensacola Brits on the Bay car show and I got to spend the day looking at a wide variety of awesome cars, MGs, Jags, Lotus, Vauxhall, Caterham, LR, Austin Healey, Sunbeams, etc. and talking to their owners. In my division there were 4 XKs and 3 F-types.

Here's a whole album of pics of my car along with others from the show. (Brits on the Bay 2017 - Album on Imgur)

Old 04-22-2017, 09:34 PM
Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by jahummer
pics????

And you need a new switch/stalk. Common problem on these cars.
There's an album link in my last sentence of my post here (Brits on the Bay 2017 - Album on Imgur)

I doubt it's the stalk as the rear light is just fine, the front light works about 50% of the time. When it doesn't the interior indicator blinks fast but the rear light always blinks normal. Sometimes during a signal its fine for a few seconds and then starts rapidly flashing the interior indicator and the front goes dark. Maybe though.

The following users liked this post:
jahummer (04-22-2017)
Old 04-22-2017, 10:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Originally Posted by apost8n8
There's an album link in my last sentence of my post here (Brits on the Bay 2017 - Album on Imgur)

I doubt it's the stalk as the rear light is just fine, the front light works about 50% of the time. When it doesn't the interior indicator blinks fast but the rear light always blinks normal. Sometimes during a signal its fine for a few seconds and then starts rapidly flashing the interior indicator and the front goes dark. Maybe though.
Sorry missed the link the first time. Brakes look great. Didn't know the specifics of your signal issue and your description does not sound like the switch but perhaps a CANBUS problem, could be the bulb, socket or wiring short in the front?

Old 04-23-2017, 12:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 359 Likes on 254 Posts

Nice looking! Gotta luv this powder coating technology.....

Old 04-23-2017, 09:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

Caliper covers look fabulous!! Nice job!