XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

I'm at the end of my rope with this new 12 XKR

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 04:25 PM
RJC
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks MCP, your points are all very valid. Was supposed to meet with the GM today but medical needs prevailed.

Old 04-09-2012, 04:47 PM
RJC

The new 2012 JD Power Dependability #'s released Feb 2012, this might explain my 2012's many issues; Jaguar in 23rd place out of 27 yikes!

Lexus Back on Top of 2012 J.D. Power Dependability Study, Chrysler Last - WOT on Motor Trend.

Last edited by RJC; 04-09-2012 at 08:11 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:16 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RJC
I hear ya Ice and completely understand...just wish Lexus made a looker like the XKR and wasn't priced like the LFA...what a car, what music that engine produces. Lexus like any other car co has introduced new models over recent years and they still remain in the top group.

It will be very interesting to see if Jag's initial quality improves with TaTa and the new F series.

I must repeat the dealer has done much to rectify my cars problems, it's just that the car has so many right out of the gate and they are trying to tell me some "are normal" or "most people wouldn't notice"... I doubt a significant mis/stumble at idle or headlights fogging over internally are normal for the 2012 XKR or any other 2012 car for that matter, plus there's other issues remaining to be repaired. I'm sure Alpine will get things to my satisfaction one way or another by resolving the remaining issues or a replacement car. If they fix the rest of the problems hopefully that will be the end of them for a long time; if not then it could really be a lemon...hope not.

Remember my story is apparently not the norm, but it is what it is...
One good thing, you've helped me look for the issues you have when I get one. I'll be out there with a water hose rinsing down the headlights looking for leaks and condensation before I put out any cash. I'll also drive the car extensively over several days as well.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:24 PM
RJC

I'm glad I was helpful, and if you buy from Alpine or receive service from them I'm sure the service dept will help you get any issues resolved; you may just have to stand your ground if something is not right and they try to tell you otherwise. Hopefully you car will be well sorted and you'll have a wonderful initial experience

Last edited by RJC; 04-09-2012 at 08:30 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:00 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

RJC - sorry to hear about your problems with the car...unacceptable and plain sux!

I received something in the mail today from a law group regarding Jaguar manufacturers defects. There is a case # US-19838-03753-A.

The letter says as an owner of a 2008-2012 Jaguar XK (I have a 2009 XKR), you may be entitled to a manufacturer's buy back or a CASH settlement if you have experienced ANY of the following problems:
- Engine Problems/Failure
- Electrical Problems
- Fuel System Issues
- Automatic Gearbox/Transmission Defects
- Brake System Problems
- Exhaust Defects / Failure
- A/C & Coolant Leak Problems

I (fortunately) haven't had any of the above issuees (nor anything major) with my car. I bought it as a CPO almost 1 year ago.

Defect Hotline: 877-441-4441. Deadline is 5/5/2012. Law firm is Premier Legal Center, A.P.C.

I never respond to what sounds like a class action suit...but thought I'd mention it if you want to explore it as an option.

Good luck with resolving your issues (including your health!).

Old 04-10-2012, 11:48 AM
RJC

Thanks jimatvs for the legal info and good wishes re my health issue. I'll give these guys a call later today and post back on what I find.

Last edited by RJC; 04-10-2012 at 02:37 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by jimatvs
I received something in the mail today from a law group regarding Jaguar manufacturers defects. There is a case # US-19838-03753-A.

The letter says as an owner of a 2008-2012 Jaguar XK (I have a 2009 XKR), you may be entitled to a manufacturer's buy back or a CASH settlement if you have experienced ANY of the following problems:
Do you think the law firm is looking to see if they can create a case to handle...or handling an existing case? Sound suspicious to me.

Bruce

Old 04-10-2012, 02:33 PM
RJC

Called them, they are bonafide attorneys in San Diego that handle auto problems as well as other legal issues. I explained my situation in detail to them and they feel they could help me but I told them I'd prefer to get things resolved with the local dealership/GM and if that endeavor proves futile I will get back in touch with them. There is no class action suit and the legal number they reference is US law for consumer protection; the must reply by date is a marketing ploy and unnecessary IMO

Last edited by RJC; 04-10-2012 at 02:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Rouseslane (04-10-2012)
Old 04-15-2012, 07:55 PM
Received 110 Likes on 84 Posts

RJC - sorry to hear of all your woes. Have you tried contacting Jaguar NA? I had a problem with my 2008 S-Type that was partly due to a manufacturing issue, and partly due to my **** retentive nature. I was pleasantly surprised that Jaguar NA did not blow me off, but instead rode herd (with spurs on) on my dealer until the issue was taken care of to my full satisfaction.

If you want to take things up with Jaguar NA, I would suggest preparing a detailed e-mail summarizing all your problems and the dealer's efforts to correct them (or not). Send the e-mail to the attention of Heather Baez, Jaguar Customer Service at:
jagweb1@jaguarlandrover.com

There is no way on God's green earth that you should be having such a litany of problems on a new 2012 XKR convertible, without a rapid resolution from Jaguar. You should get back an almost immediate response from Jaguar NA.

The following users liked this post:
RJC (04-15-2012)
Old 04-15-2012, 09:08 PM
RJC

Thanks scmike and agreed 100%, far too many initial problems creating a very poor Jaguar experience.

I plan on meeting with the dealership's GM this or next week and if he can't get things handled to my liking then I'll move on to calling Jag USA, attorney etc.

Last edited by RJC; 04-15-2012 at 09:13 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:43 AM
Received 110 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by RJC
I plan on meeting with the dealership's GM this or next week and if he can't get things handled to my liking then I'll move on to calling Jag USA, attorney etc.
I would REALLY recommend that you contact Jaguar NA before launching off on the attorney track - much more likely to get to a happy ending that way. Once there is a whiff of litigation, your headaches will increase 10-fold. Jaguar/Tata (despite rumors to the contrary) are not stupid - they fully realize the importance of public perceptions in this sector of the market (your mileage may vary with individual dealerships). I would have contacted Jaguar NA way before this point, but that of course is your call.

Old 04-16-2012, 03:45 PM
RJC

I'm a big believer of trying to work things out with any party before legal action is taken...I'm hoping things will get resolved locally without even having to contact Jaguar for that matter.

Thanks,

Old 04-17-2012, 10:08 AM
Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts

Judging by the Jaguar Alive driving experience I just attended this weekend, Tata seem to be genuinely trying hard to (re)build Jaguar's great image and reputation. They are aware that Jaguar has a legacy image of bad reliability and they're trying very hard to show that's really a thing of the past so the reputation is totally undeserved. I'm guessing this means they should be quite sensitive to your complaint.

While I do think you get more results with being nice than threatening lawsuits, there's a time for everything. I certainly think Jaguar NA should hear about this as a complaint about the car and maybe the dealer, otherwise you're not giving them a chance to fix things at a systemic level where it affects you and others beyond your current car issue.

Also you're just reinforcing the message to Jaguar and/or the dealer that they can get away with doing the same crappy service or worse next time you're in for (say) a service, and to the next guy who buys a Jag.

The bottom line is, no matter how nice or well-meaning the people are that your dealer employs, if they can't actually deliver an appropriate quality experience they don't deserve to be a Jag dealer. If you allow them to get away with falling short without providing feedback to Jaguar NA so they at least are aware of the problem, you're not doing anyone any favors, least of all to the marque we all love.

Last edited by JustNiz; 04-17-2012 at 10:20 AM.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:07 PM
RJC

Meeting with GM this Wed.

Old 04-25-2012, 05:54 PM
RJC
Exclamation Update

Met with GM and Service Director today, they were both very, understanding, attentive and agreed to help the situation with my problematic car how ever they could as they agreed it was not the norm.

To my surprise they have already been in contact with Jaguar about my car as of a few weeks ago. I will allow them another attempt to rectify the remaining issues and hopefully they will be resolved but I made it very clear I've been more than patient with this car to which they agreed and if this does not resolve things then I would insist on a replacement vehicle from Jaguar. The GM told me there would be about a $25,000.00 loss on the car to Jaguar...that's some serious depreciation on a brand new car which was already discounted at the the time of sale by about +/-8% so we're looking at a about a 31% hit!

We also discussed their serious falling JD Power numbers which for 2012 dropped even further down to 23rd out of 27; he agreed they were very bad and hoping they would improve, never once did they try to say they were skewed, flawed, didn't reflect true experiences etc which in my mind gave them more creditability as people.

I told them that my preference was to stick with an XKR vs going back to MB or Porsche and I would have hoped once Jaguar was able to convert a long time German buyer over they would do whatever they could to retain them; the GM agreed from a dealer’s perspective but said with TaTa it's mostly all about $'s and cents, but Ta Ta still try’s to help a customer with a lemon although not as willingly as Ford did.

So let's see if they are able to isolate and correct the remaining issues to my satisfaction and if so great; if not then its time for a replacement and hopefully it will be a good one.
As I've stated here before the GM, Service Director and other service personnel are good guys being very helpful and they know all the problems I've brought to their attention have all proven to be legitimate knowing here's no ulterior motives on my part. I unfortunately don't have the health to be running back and forth to the dealership every week or so with problems and they agreed.

Bottom line: The dealership is not offering a replacement but defers that to Jag as we knew they would, BUT the dealership plays a very important role in letting the Jaguar know their feelings about the situation and customer. The dealership also has to make a business decision on whether they want me as a customer again or not as does Jag; I believe the dealership does and for Jag, who knows...we'll soon see.

Stay tuned....

Last edited by RJC; 04-25-2012 at 11:18 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

I think agreeing to take the car in to let them fix it is a great idea! They replaced your flat-spotted tires and fixed your headlight fitment when you brought it to their attention, and I expect they'll take care of any other issues that you may have now that you've impressed upon them that you're not happy. You sound optimistic, so things are already looking up!

Bruce

Old 04-25-2012, 07:39 PM
RJC

Thank you Bruce, I am cautiously optimistic at best and will remain so until these problems have been fully rectified and if not offered a replacement. I really like the GM, Service Directior and assc'd service personnel and know they will do their best, I also know that they feel badly for me not only because of this whole car experience fiasco but that I've been seriously injured and it takes a lot for me to just stand on my feet due to all the pain.

Should know much more by early next week.

Last edited by RJC; 04-25-2012 at 08:37 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:16 AM
Received 38 Likes on 14 Posts

As always best of luck, however it winds up being handled. I hope for Jaguar's sake that they present a solution that satisfies you... its a low volume, flagship car and at least as far as I know, this is the only forum with any kind of extensive discussion about it. Anybody looking to buy one who does any kind of real research is bound to find this thread, and if it ends in some kind of disaster I imagine a 25k loss might not look so bad anymore.

I'm glad you're not giving up yet... hope they fix everything up for you (or get you a different one).

Old 04-26-2012, 10:54 AM
RJC

Thank you MCP. Good points for Jaguar/TaTa to consider.

Old 04-27-2012, 05:53 PM
RJC
Exclamation Update II

Heard form the Service Director today, the cold start misfire was verified several times even by the GM. Jaguar is involved as they are trying to see where it’s coming from, they have given the dealership many specific types of testing to perform and I beleive the info from my car's ECU has been sent to them. The SD also indicated they verified the rattle coming from behind the panel underneath the driver’s side rear quarter window. The SD (Service Director) is a real quality and stand up guy; the dealership and it's cutomers are very lucky to have him.

I am pleased that things are being acknowledged and as I expressed to them the last time, the check engine light does not always trigger when a misfire is present, even a rather significant one.

The other items are being addressed as well and hopefully the misfire will be something simple and not severe as there's a chance it could be related to an internal engine component.

Last edited by RJC; 04-27-2012 at 06:01 PM.

Quick Reply: I'm at the end of my rope with this new 12 XKR