XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

I'm at the end of my rope with this new 12 XKR

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 07:05 PM
Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

Ok. So how are they compensating you in the mean time for paying for a car that is down? In my humble opinion you should not be involved in tracking down all the problems on a brand new car - much less one this expensive.

It would have been a flat out return/refund/exchange or whatever you call it of for me. They can troubleshoot their own car. Anomalies happen - but it behooves THEM to figure them out and prevent future occurrences. They just need to give you a replacement car and do their homework on their own time!

At least that is the direction I would have gone...

Old 04-30-2012, 07:41 PM
RJC
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I agree with you 100%, I just wish it was that easy, but getting a replacement vehicle is a process which I'm going through. They have been testing and testing my engine and so far still no cause, I read on the new XJ forum a guy has the same issue as me and the last repair attempt so far was to replace his cylinder head. Ive also read there that the misfire during cold start has affected several other XJR owners.

Compensation for all the trouble has been "0" so far. I knew after the first three days of ownership I should have returned this car but they talked me out of it; shame on me. This has been THE worst new car experience bar none, and I've been blessed to have owned over 32 new high end cars (I'm 51).

If Jaguar does the right thing and gets me out of this car with a replacement it will greatly improve the experience and I'll give them another chance remaining loyal to the brand; if they don't then unfortunately it's "ta ta" for TaTa.

Last edited by RJC; 04-30-2012 at 11:55 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by RJC
I've been blessed to have owned over 32 new high end cars (I'm 51).
I'm almost afraid to ask... why? I usually can't part with my cars for a few years, and even averaging 4 or more at a time I've only had around 20 I think, and I'm 57!

Bruce

Old 05-01-2012, 11:21 AM
RJC

Nothing to be afraid of, I just love cars. Had a long period of many years prior to when I was injured where I would get a new one minimally every year sometimes 2-3 per year and occasionally I'd have more than one at the same time. My cars were mostly Porsches, MBs, BMWs and Ferraris; this is my first English car.

I've been buying my own cars since 1980 when I entered the business world and started working professionally at 20; I was truly blessed to have done quite well right out of the gate. Glad to learn I'm not the only 50+ guy around here

Last edited by RJC; 05-01-2012 at 03:12 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:23 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RJC
Nothing to be afraid of, I just love cars. Had a long period of many years prior to when I was injured where I would get a new one minimally every year sometimes 2-3 per year and occasionally I'd have more than one at the same time. My cars were mostly Porsches, MBs, BMWs and Ferraris; this is my first English car.

I've been buying my own car since 1980 as I entered tge business world and started working professionally at 20. Glad to learn I'm not the only 50+ guy around here
I don't have a Jag yet but I am over 50 and have been buying cars and modding them a long time. I modded every car I've ever had actually. As a kid I would install my own stereo systems so well that other guys would pay me to do theirs. I'd also add accessories, change to hubcaps to something higher end, tint, dash kits....whatever I thought would make it an individual car.
In college, I had a Monte Carlo that everyone loved to be in. In addition to the mods I normally did, I took a portable TV, spliced the cord with one that came from a portable car vacuum....was the only kid with TV in the car. What a blast.
At 53, I still enjoy making a car mine. I don't think I can drive a car that hasn't been lowered and doesn't have aftermarket wheels. Can't drive a car that doesn't have a powerful sub and amp. Just can't do it.
I get more attention than I would like but I don't do it for others. I love nice cars and always have.
I can't wait to hook up a XKR.

Old 05-01-2012, 04:30 PM
RJC

I'm sure your experience with a new XKR will be better than mine.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:15 AM
Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by ice350
I don't have a Jag yet but I am over 50 and have been buying cars and modding them a long time. I modded every car I've ever had actually. As a kid I would install my own stereo systems so well that other guys would pay me to do theirs. I'd also add accessories, change to hubcaps to something higher end, tint, dash kits....whatever I thought would make it an individual car.
In college, I had a Monte Carlo that everyone loved to be in. In addition to the mods I normally did, I took a portable TV, spliced the cord with one that came from a portable car vacuum....was the only kid with TV in the car. What a blast.
At 53, I still enjoy making a car mine. I don't think I can drive a car that hasn't been lowered and doesn't have aftermarket wheels. Can't drive a car that doesn't have a powerful sub and amp. Just can't do it.
I get more attention than I would like but I don't do it for others. I love nice cars and always have.
I can't wait to hook up a XKR.
If you're not used to Jags you might be surprised at the quality of the stuff you already get as stock. I agree with your point about a tint. I also replaced the grille with an OEM real wire one, but I can't think much else would improve the car.
Unless you're really careful and aim for very subtle and refined style improvements, I think it would too easy to spend a whole bunch of money on aftermarket parts only to find you made the car look cheaper or even ghetto and /or made it perform worse.
For example, I don't think Ive ever seen aftermarket wheels that look as good as the 20" Cremonas that came as stock on my car, or that there's much room for improvement in the interior or the sound of the Bowers and Wilkins premium sound system.
Another point to consider is that aftermarket mods pretty much always negatively affect Jags resale value.

Last edited by JustNiz; 05-02-2012 at 08:22 AM.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,198 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by JustNiz
If you're not used to Jags you might be surprised at the quality of the stuff you already get as stock.

I can't think much else would improve the car.
Have to agree. I am only into sleeper's. Styling, I like it to look stock. If it's an OEM add-on, well I'd have to individualize each one and go from there. Sound system has a lot of bass punch. Much better than on my VDP. Could be from the reduced interior room?

Jaguar has several wheel designs that should suit most taste.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by JustNiz
If you're not used to Jags you might be surprised at the quality of the stuff you already get as stock. I agree with your point about a tint. I also replaced the grille with an OEM real wire one, but I can't think much else would improve the car.
Unless you're really careful and aim for very subtle and refined style improvements, I think it would too easy to spend a whole bunch of money on aftermarket parts only to find you made the car look cheaper or even ghetto and /or made it perform worse.
For example, I don't think Ive ever seen aftermarket wheels that look as good as the 20" Cremonas that came as stock on my car, or that there's much room for improvement in the interior or the sound of the Bowers and Wilkins premium sound system.
Another point to consider is that aftermarket mods pretty much always negatively affect Jags resale value.
Regardless of the quality, I'll always change the wheels, lower, improve the music and tint any car I own. Body kits are a maybe. Interior pieces are a maybe.
Jag is quality but so is Lexus. I refuse to debate levels of quality but will add that cost doesn't always equal quality.

My cuurent car may look ghetto to some but not to me. That's all that really matters. Take a look. I think the body kit enhances the car while being conservative enough to not destroy the lines. I see no reason to not do this to an XKR.
The Ice350 - YouTube

RJC, sorry about hijacking your thread. I am very interested in how it turns out with your car. One great thing about Lexus, they stand behind their cars. I'm spoiled by that. If Jaguar lets you down, I may not buy one. Actually, they've already let you down by dragging this out.

Last edited by ice350; 05-03-2012 at 08:34 AM.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:48 AM
RJC

No worries ICE, let's see what Jaguar finally offers, if they provide a replacement then you can rest assured if you get a problem laden car right out of the gate like mine it most likely will be taken care of. This engine misfire is a relatively common problem as several on the XJ forum have it and Jaguar has been involved with a few getting the cars replaced as the repair can lead up to cylinder head replacement and no one wants that on a brand new recently delivered car. I should know something soon.

Thanks

Last edited by RJC; 05-03-2012 at 11:57 AM.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:54 PM
RJC
Exclamation Update III

Still no solution yet, the engineers in England are analyzing all the data that's been sent to them by the dealership and are still trying to figure out what's going on with my car. The dealership is also waiting for Jaguar USA to finally offer a replacement vehicle and we may know something on Monday afternoon.

There's either going to be a very happy and appropriate ending to this whole fiasco, or a very unpleasent one. I remain confident Jaguar USA will do the right thing as I've been through enough, my dealership agrees and is reinforcing that message.

Last edited by RJC; 05-05-2012 at 10:10 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 86 Posts

Florida has a really strong Lemon Law. you can Google it. I think a new car at Jaguar's expense will solve your problem.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:32 AM

I just don't understand all of this. They may not know why but they know the engine is not working properly. Why not just replace the engine. They can research all they want by taking the defective engine out and giving the customer a new one. I've heard many stories of
porsche replacing engines. I know that's what Lexus would have done. This is putting a bad taste in my mouth about Jaguar.

A friend of mine works for the dealer. He keeps telling me to stay away from Jags. Another of our clublexus members bought an XF and had numerous unresolved issues and he eneded up trading his new car back in...at a huge finincial loss.

Now this.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:33 AM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ice350
I just don't understand all of this. They may not know why but they know the engine is not working properly. Why not just replace the engine. They can research all they want by taking the defective engine out and giving the customer a new one. I've heard many stories of
porsche replacing engines. I know that's what Lexus would have done. This is putting a bad taste in my mouth about Jaguar.

A friend of mine works for the dealer. He keeps telling me to stay away from Jags. Another of our clublexus members bought an XF and had numerous unresolved issues and he eneded up trading his new car back in...at a huge finincial loss.

Now this.
Toyota has had its fair share of V6 engine problems with many unhappy customers...but they have a "reputation" of being dependable. As does Honda and many other companies. Jaguar is still fighting its reputation from decades ago. Reputations tend to hang around a LONG time. When we all hear of something like this we tend to jump on the band wagon and apply blanket statements to the entore company. Does Jaguar put out cars with issues...yep. Are they the only ones? NOPE. (I personally would have stopped praising the staff of this dealership long ago and started raising a stink.) I had a Honda Accord, you know the supposedly uber reliable car. Was in the shop more times than I care to think about. Got rid of it as soon as bumper to bumper warranty was up. Had a 06 Civic as commuter car and had several issues with it as well, but even I would still say it was a reliable car in part because that IS the reputation Honda has.

I guess my point is, you have to do your own research, don't always beleive reputations and understand that forums like this will rarely get posts that say: My car is wonderful and nothing is wrong; but will more often get: My car has this issue.....

Old 05-06-2012, 12:19 PM
RJC

If the car had 15,000 or 20,000 miles+ then a replacement engine would be ok, but this is a brand spanking new car and the problem began week one with just 59 miles on the odo. The only right thing for Jaguar to do is offer a replacement car or to return my money. I'd be willing to give them another shot if they offer a replacement and if they do they're a stand up company and if they put up wall after all this then they're not.

IMO it would behoove them to settle this amicably before I go down the lemon law road as if I'm forced down that path I'll choose a refund and move on...The ball is in their court and hopefully they'll play it right and keep the customer, as the other way it's a lose lose for them (refund plus loss of customer)

Last edited by RJC; 05-06-2012 at 12:26 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:32 PM
RJC

Originally Posted by 2002XK8Orlando
Toyota has had its fair share of V6 engine problems with many unhappy customers...but they have a "reputation" of being dependable. As does Honda and many other companies. Jaguar is still fighting its reputation from decades ago. Reputations tend to hang around a LONG time. When we all hear of something like this we tend to jump on the band wagon and apply blanket statements to the entore company. Does Jaguar put out cars with issues...yep. Are they the only ones? NOPE. (I personally would have stopped praising the staff of this dealership long ago and started raising a stink.) I had a Honda Accord, you know the supposedly uber reliable car. Was in the shop more times than I care to think about. Got rid of it as soon as bumper to bumper warranty was up. Had a 06 Civic as commuter car and had several issues with it as well, but even I would still say it was a reliable car in part because that IS the reputation Honda has.

I guess my point is, you have to do your own research, don't always beleive reputations and understand that forums like this will rarely get posts that say: My car is wonderful and nothing is wrong; but will more often get: My car has this issue.....
Some marques are simply more problematic than others.

Many here have said their cars have had a great track record with little to no issues but several bought their cars second hand so the bugs could have been addresses previously.

My car was/is a problem car from week one and every company produces lemons, some more than others...and especially for those with more than their fair share truly need to step up and improve the consumer's experience rectifying the situation properly.

As I've stated before, when Jaguar/TaTa finally lures someone away from the mainstream luxury brands they should really do what they can to keep them. Jaguars latest sales #'s are down 27% and 3rd from last in initial quality #'s 23/27...one can spin or discount their relevance however they wish, but they are very poor and trending lower and lower year by year, not good.

Last edited by RJC; 05-06-2012 at 04:59 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:21 PM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by RJC
...3rd from last in initial quality #'s 23/27...one can spin or discount their relevance however they wish, but they are very poor and trending lower and lower year by year, not good.

And the irony of that statment is not too long ago they were at the top for a bit in one of those studies

Old 05-06-2012, 05:45 PM
RJC

Yeah 3 models years ago and they were a one hit wonder...
I'd truly like to see them back on top again but they need to improve quality consistency; the longer term trends in these numbers are what tells the story.

Last edited by RJC; 05-06-2012 at 05:50 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

Quality is a state of mind from top to bottom in a manufacturing environment. One wonders about the the attitude of the Jag work force now that Ford is gone and Tata is in charge. Say what you will about Ford, they know about quality control.

Let's hope for the best.

Old 05-06-2012, 05:59 PM
RJC

Spot on THC.

Quick Reply: I'm at the end of my rope with this new 12 XKR