Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Inner Door Panel

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 12:22 PM
Received 99 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Inner Door Panel

Hey Cats,
I continue remediation on my 2008 XKR convertible. Very clean car when I got it and a few items needed attention. One is what looks to be a fitment issue with the drivers side door inner panel. In the image you can see a gap just under the tweeter. I am assuming that a clip is not correctly seated or missing. Before I take off this inner door panel to inspect, I'd like to get an idea of any issues or gotchas in attempting this. I do most if not all work on my cars, but this will be the first Jag interior I will be working on. Any recommendations, thoughts or experience is greatly appreciated. Also, looking at the a-pillar suede covering which appears loose. I'd like to get some feedback on correcting this also.

Old 05-09-2017, 12:40 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

if I remember correctly there's a couple (2 or 3) torx screws in the bottom of the arm rest holding the panel on, that and a bunch of snap fasteners that you lightly pry open preferably with a flat blade screwdriver maybe cover it with teflon tape so it doesn't scratch or use plastic tools as I did. Looks like someone had the door panel off and fitted it back terribly but not a big deal to redo. VERY easy job, if you were near San Diego I'd say bring it over and we can remedy that in a couple minutes

Last edited by Leeper; 05-09-2017 at 12:45 PM.
Old 05-09-2017, 01:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,894 Likes on 1,285 Posts

I have that gap, but on the passenger side. In fact, the whole panel has a gap along the edge of the window, which is wider than the close fitting panel on the driver side.
I'd read that there was a problem with these panels warping, causing it to pull away at the top edge. I'd like to fix it, but its sort of way down my todo list.
Good luck, hope it turns out well, as I'd like to hope its a simple fix.

Old 05-09-2017, 01:44 PM

Thanks Leep, Just did not want to run into any surprises. Don't think there is anything else I need to do in there while it is off. Was thinking of some puddle lights with jag logo, but do not want to modify with holes in the door.

If I was in San Diego I'd let you do it and spend my day at Pacific Beach...Havent been out there since the 90's.

Old 05-09-2017, 01:59 PM
Banned

Grab some tacos at South beach in OB! Let's do it! I did my puddle lights that's how I knew about the panels and the ease in messing with them. BTW - got mine from eBay for maybe $16 shipped and LOVED them but they did take a little soldering so a bit more involved

Old 05-09-2017, 02:16 PM

Kj, I'll share my experience here when I do it. May be as early as this weekend. Depends on my to do list..which could mean I will get to it by 2020..

Old 05-09-2017, 02:21 PM

I may just take you up on that next time I am on the left coast. Lots of rain in Boston so I could use some sun and real fish tacos. Perfect place for the Jag convertible. Toying with puddle light idea. Solder and electrical does not scare me but was thinking for resale. My guess is that the modern effect will beat the keep it stock preference on this one.

Old 05-09-2017, 03:14 PM
Banned

Just sold my Jag the new owner, and my former passengers LOVED the lights they look very much factory. You can't tell it's not factory install unless yo lay on the ground and close the door over yourself. If that gap is due to warping maybe popping the panel off will help maybe not maybe someone else can chime in but the removal of the panel is quite easy

I'f you're in the SD let me know, always looking for reasons to frequent PB and OB for drinks and food.

Old 05-09-2017, 03:37 PM

The effect is pretty impressive. I have seen a few new high end cars using them and it adds a nice touch. Thinking the leaper logo is the way to go. Someone is going to animate these pretty soon if it has not been done already.

Old 05-09-2017, 07:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

I have the same issue with my drivers door panel so will be interested to hear how you get on.

Old 05-09-2017, 07:59 PM
Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts

Problem is with the door retaining clips if you give the panel a tap at that corner where it meets the tweeter it should pop back in and close the gap if it does than you have to take the panel off not to hard and reposition all the clips at the top of the panel and then reinstall

Old 05-09-2017, 09:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Definitely an issue with the way it is fitted to the door, it should be nice and snug all the way around. You will have to carefully remove the inner mirror cover (tweeter housing) to reveal a screw, also screws under the grab handle and one under a small cover at the end of the door in the jamb. The rest is held in with clips. I suspect the issue lies with the metal clips along the top edge where the panel attaches along the glass, if they are bent or not fitted correctly you will see the gap you describe.