XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Instrument Cluster Turn Signal Light Non-Op (intermittent)

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2019, 02:58 PM
Received 38 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Instrument Cluster Turn Signal Light Non-Op (intermittent)

Hi there. I noticed the other day that the turn signal green arrow light on the instrument cluster is having problems. Only one of them (the right one) is giving me trouble.

After starting the car, it works normally for some time. But then (maybe 15 minutes to 45 mins into the drive) the light simply stops lighting when the turn signal is on. It stays that way for the remainder of the drive.

The turn signal "sound / click" works as normal. Likewise the exterior turn signal lights seem to be operational as normal.

Once the cluster light fails, activating the emergency flashers exhibits the same problem (only the left arrow flashes - the right arrow remains dark).

As far as I can tell, the bulbs in the instrument cluster are LEDs - so there is nothing to replace there unless I am mistaken.

All other lights and functions of the instrument cluster seem just fine.

Has anyone seen this before? Any suggestions for trouble shooting it?

Many thanks!

Old 10-14-2019, 03:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

Not at all confident on this....
Have you changed exterior bulbs lately? My Jag is pretty touchy on bulb choices, and maybe one of them is messing with the system?

Also not enough information in the electrical diagrams to be of instant help, sorry... I would think when looking at it that if your exterior lights are working correctly, then the switch would be too. But this is too simplified for my taste.... Example, is the switch single pole or double pole?

Hope others have better help...

(added later)
On closer inspection, it looks as thou the switch simply offers a different voltage to the cluster to distinguish left and right selections....

Last edited by CleverName; 10-14-2019 at 03:38 PM.
Old 10-14-2019, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by CleverName
Not at all confident on this....
On closer inspection, it looks as thou the switch simply offers a different voltage to the cluster to distinguish left and right selections....
Thanks so much - nothing has been changed lately (though to be honest, the car is new enough to me that I can't say when this started happening - it may have always been this way).

And yes - my reading of the manual, confirmed by your diagram (thank you) is that the L/R switch selection sends the current through different resistors - signalling to the cluster which turn signal is on. However, it seemed to me that since the turn signals are operating correctly, the cluster is getting the correct signal ... it just (sometimes) is not displaying the RHS green flashing arrow.

Likewise, since the arrow also does not come on when the hazards are on, this tells me that the issue is "closer" to the bulb since the issue occurs for both the signal light and the hazard light - which likely rules out the L/R signal light switch.

I suspect this will be a tough one to diagnose and is likely internal to the instrument cluster. If that's the case it may only be fixed by a replacement instrument cluster. If that ends up being the case, I may have to just live with it. Has anyone ever delved into the instrument cluster? And am I correct in assuming that the flashing green arrow is indeed a LED?

Thanks for your input!

Last edited by MurrayG; 10-14-2019 at 03:54 PM.
Old 10-14-2019, 04:08 PM

And - let me ask explicitly - does anyone know if the instrument cluster have user-replaceable bulbs in it? I assume not, but if "yes", that would be the obvious first thing I will try.

I just would like to know before going to the effort of removing the IC.

Thanks!

Old 10-14-2019, 04:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

I'm interested in the led question as well.... My fingers are crossed for you!

The signal presented to the cluster is voltage, not current, if the diagram is as I interpret. Being voltage related (although I suspect it is a 5vdc circuit), be sure to put a meter on the battery to double check.

We all acknowledge our Jags are shockingly temperamental about voltages n stuff!

peace!

Last edited by CleverName; 10-14-2019 at 04:24 PM. Reason: had to rephrase after reading prior post question...
Old 10-15-2019, 12:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,902 Likes on 1,290 Posts

Originally Posted by MurrayG
And - let me ask explicitly - does anyone know if the instrument cluster have user-replaceable bulbs in it? I assume not, but if "yes", that would be the obvious first thing I will try.

I just would like to know before going to the effort of removing the IC.

Thanks!
Take a read through Ranchero50’s build thread (The Green Turtle...), as he swapped the face plate in his cluster and may have mentioned if the lamps were LEDs.

Old 10-15-2019, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by kj07xk
Take a read through Ranchero50’s build thread (The Green Turtle...), as he swapped the face plate in his cluster and may have mentioned if the lamps were LEDs.
Thank you - I will do that!

Old 10-17-2019, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by kj07xk
Thanks again - I read through it (what an epic - fantastic!)

I was able to find his images of the inside of the instrument Cluster. They are all LEDs - so it is either fix the instrument cluster, or replace it. I see they can be had for $275 - so I will just have to decide if the blinker is worth that to me. I usually am a stickler for everything working - but I am not sure I care enough about this one to change out the whole IC.

Thanks so much again for the pointer to the Green Turtle thread.