Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Introduction / Hello and High(ish) Mileage Advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 12:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Introduction / Hello and High(ish) Mileage Advice

Good Evening All,

I wanted to introduce myself to this part of the forum as I am hoping to be buying a 2006 onwards XKR. It will be my first Jaguar! I have been a member of the forum for a while as I was looking to buy an older style XKR in the past (see here https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...4-2-xkr-53051/) but after moving back to the UK, a new house meant I've had to take a while to save up again!!

I am hoping to have around the £18-20k mark to spend (I am waiting on a fund to mature at the beginning of February and will then know for sure) and have seen several vehicles on the usual websites. I will be taking some test drives in the coming weekends and probably be buying a car with 50k plus miles, possibly up to around the 80k mark. Reading about possible issues, I know about the recommended frequent brake fluid changes, transmission fluid changes, battery related electrical gremlins and the commonish air con leak issue but if anyone wanted to add their two penneth to help me that would be appreciated!!

I'm thinking of joining the JEC and considering their warranty too - does anyone else have experience of this?

I look forward to using the forum and perhaps getting to know one or two of you at any Jaguar Meets here in the UK. I thank you all in advance for the help I'm sure I'll be asking for in the near future!

Cheers, Cluffy

Old 01-08-2015, 04:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Dash shrinking, control arm bushings...

Old 01-10-2015, 12:11 AM
Received 106 Likes on 67 Posts

Welcome to the forum and good luck hunting, that's always the best part. Until you buy one, then that's the best part.

The newer X150 series, here in the US we didn't get the new body style until 07. And the main concern with those is the AC drain was poorly designed and a costly fix as the dash has to be pulled to fix. Do a quick forum search for AC drain fix and you should get some better info. Result is loss of the blower motor and/or control module as condensation backs up in the system. You may want to go 08 or 09 as I believe they corrected that issue in later models.

The nav issues on earlier X100 series models is not as big of a deal on ours' because it now built into the infotainment system. No more gauges, literally, they just got rid of them all, no coolant temp, oil pressure, or battery (kinda sucks not to have that info). They could have added a screen to the system.

I just got my 07 in October and was welcomed with the blower motor not working as the module was bad. Haven't done the AC fix yet as I really don't want to pull the dash. It's also winter here now so don't have worry about that yet.

Haven't seen much about the bushings but doing research I have run across dash pulling which seems to be prevalent in warmer climates with lots of sun.

Also the thermostat/tower still seems to be a weak point. Have 40k on mine now and plan on replacing the thermostat and tower assembly around 50K for peace of mind.

And as always with jaguars, battery, battery, battery issues are doubled in the X150 series because of all the new systems. Smart Key system, Infotainment, etc.

Many members deal with this by getting a battery maintainer if not used as a daily driver. I drive mine daily so not as big of a deal but I'm waiting on a CTek maintainer just in case I go out of town. On difference is always lock the car when you leave it, even in the garage. System draws like 10 amps when awake and takes 36 minutes to shut down if you don't lock it. 6 Minutes if you do.

Now that I'm done beating it up let me just say Fun,Fun,Fun. Great car and without it's gremlins it wouldn't be a jaguar.

Had a 97 before with the gauges and passed it off to my Father as a summer vehicle after it hit 220,000 miles. Still runs great just didn't want to put it through another Chicago Winter as I've used about 8 of its 9 lives and he can enjoy it as a summer ride for years to come.

My 07 has the adaptive cruise, active front lighting, luxury package with heated seats and steering wheel, 16 way adjustable power seats, Premium Alpine sound system, 20" senta wheels, need I go on.

Handling is insane and I like the hard boot compared to the X100 series soft boot. Cabin noise is a little louder with the new X150 top design but still quiet. Exterior Styling; what can't you like about the new design, as my wife said, it's just gorgeous.

Good luck and hope the info helps.

Old 01-10-2015, 04:49 AM

Thanks for the responses - a couple of extra potential niggles pointed out so I'll add to my list of things to check for when I go and look for one.

I think the battery conditioner is an excellent idea - I will mostly be using the car at weekends (as I live only 1 miles from my work and generally walk) so it might be a good investment for me...

And DpezXK8, I couldn't agree more - I am very excited with this search. It will be the most expensive car I have ever bought but I have wanted one for years and now I'm in the position to buy one it's just fantastic. I can imagine I'll have such a huge grin when I actually driving off the forecourt with one!

Old 01-10-2015, 04:52 AM

Oh, one extra query I have... They Nav - are Jaguar (or whoever supplies the unit) still producing updated Map discs? I have read that it's not the most fantastic system but it would be good to have it running as good as possible, even if I rarely rely on it...

Cheers again, Cluffy

Old 01-10-2015, 09:24 AM
Received 106 Likes on 67 Posts

Not sure about update discs though I have a spare disc in my manual.
I saw in the manual where there is a unit in the trunk to install discs.
It's behind one of the panels for the system.

I believe they have updates but haven't found a need yet. The nav system works well but rarely use it. I'll attached an interior shot so you can see the control layout.

The touchscreen controls your Audio, Climate, Phone, Nav, and Vehicle Settings (trip computer, valet mode, screen settings).

Manual controls just below the screen are for turning on the audio manually, selecting tracks,and loading discs. Below that is climate control knob and temp buttons for either side of the cabin.

Here's a pic of my interior

Attached Thumbnails Introduction / Hello and High(ish) Mileage Advice-interior-pic.jpg  
Old 01-10-2015, 02:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

The updated discs if available can be bought directly from Navteq or from your dealer. You may also want to check out ebay.