XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Jaguar North America is the worst!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 04:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jaguar North America is the worst!

Just received my final answer from Jaguar NA about my dashboard issue. For all of you out there with an XK or XKR having a delimitation on your dashboard... Jaguar NA washes their hands of any responsibility to do anything to resolve this issue.

After 2 weeks of getting the run around returned phone calls from Jaguar NA, telling me they are reviewing my situation, the representative finally calls today and states "Jaguar North America has reviewed the issue, researched the history with my car, and have determined they will not be financially responsible for any repair to the delaminated dashboard.

Now even after I had stated to him several times that this issue has been a problem since 2007 on this model, and newer models than mine have even suffered the same issue... and that Jaguar Forums have been discussing this issue for years now, they replied, they have never heard of this happening before.

They also stated they do not pay attention to forums. I told the they should because these are Jaguar owners and have a lot to say about the products they build. You would think this feedback from a forum might give some insight as to problems with various models.

This repair on the dashboard is a $3500. repair according to the estimate I received today from a Jaguar dealer. I have had a few other issues that should have ben addressed that were not wear and tear, but ended up paying these costs myself. But this is clearly a design defect as the vehicle only has 31k miles and is garaged all the time if not being driven.

This is the LAST Jaguar I will ever own do to the lack of support from Jaguar North America.

Anyone with a solution to this issue that has worked for them, I would be glad to know...

Old 01-05-2016, 04:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

This is not going to help you in your situation but each time I clean and condition the seats I do exactly the same to the dash.
Any prolonged period in the sun and I will give it a little extra.

So far so good, but very sorry to hear that your situation has had no acceptable outcome.

Old 01-05-2016, 04:42 PM
Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Looks like you have an XK which started its run in 2007. If so, I believe your post would be better placed in the forum for those cars. This is the forum for the XK8 and XKR which ended their run in 2006.

Welcome. I hope you are able to resolve this issue.

Jack

Old 01-05-2016, 05:09 PM
Banned
Received 238 Likes on 180 Posts

Blkcat I think you took a wrong turn...

Bjfield - We understand you're sky is falling and you are having a tantrum, maybe somewhat justified maybe not, but it would certainly help if instead of just ranting we got some details like maybe what car you have, what year, how many miles, has it been parked outside for many years in the blazing hot sun in Florida, etc. before others can jump on your bandwagon.

Last edited by Leeper; 01-05-2016 at 05:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (01-05-2016)
Old 01-05-2016, 05:31 PM
Received 442 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by bjfield
Just received my final answer from Jaguar NA about my dashboard issue. For all of you out there with an XK or XKR having a delimitation on your dashboard... Jaguar NA washes their hands of any responsibility to do anything to resolve this issue.

After 2 weeks of getting the run around returned phone calls from Jaguar NA, telling me they are reviewing my situation, the representative finally calls today and states "Jaguar North America has reviewed the issue, researched the history with my car, and have determined they will not be financially responsible for any repair to the delaminated dashboard.

Now even after I had stated to him several times that this issue has been a problem since 2007 on this model, and newer models than mine have even suffered the same issue... and that Jaguar Forums have been discussing this issue for years now, they replied, they have never heard of this happening before.

They also stated they do not pay attention to forums. I told the they should because these are Jaguar owners and have a lot to say about the products they build. You would think this feedback from a forum might give some insight as to problems with various models.

This repair on the dashboard is a $3500. repair according to the estimate I received today from a Jaguar dealer. I have had a few other issues that should have ben addressed that were not wear and tear, but ended up paying these costs myself. But this is clearly a design defect as the vehicle only has 31k miles and is garaged all the time if not being driven.

This is the LAST Jaguar I will ever own do to the lack of support from Jaguar North America.

Anyone with a solution to this issue that has worked for them, I would be glad to know...
I researched this before I bought my 07. It shrinks from dryness. When I brought it home I moisturized it (damn near soaked it) every 2-3 days for a month until it couldn't absorb anymore just in case the previous owner did nothing.

If you're the original owner then you neglected to properly care for it. If you bought it used but the dash was ok you had time to save it and you didn't. If you bought it like that what did you expect? Like you said this isn't a new issue.

Possible alternate solutions? Have you tried a trim shop? Maybe an indie to remove the dash and then a trim shop to replace the leather? If you remove the dash go ahead and do the duck bill drain in the a/c box. Maybe you could find a junk yard dash and do a swap?

Last edited by flyc2c; 01-05-2016 at 05:51 PM.
JimC64 (01-05-2016)
Old 01-05-2016, 06:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

bjfield - there is at least one if not more relatively simple solution(s) to your problem. Note at the top of this page there is a search box. Type in the box the following entry "leather dashboard" or "leather dashboard pulling" scroll down to the entry that shows Tberg, go there and you will find what you are looking for. You can probably get the repair for less than $500-$600.

Old 01-05-2016, 06:24 PM
Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Leeper

This was originally posted in the XK8 forum. I suggested the OP post in the XK forum. Looks like it was moved. Not sure I took a wrong turn.

Thanks!!

Jack

Old 01-05-2016, 06:43 PM
Banned

Oh didn't see that it was moved sorry. The OP never stated what year his car is nor any details only that this may be a problem for cars 2007>

Old 01-05-2016, 07:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

bjfield,
As Ralph stated above, you can get it done for next to nothing as I did on my 2010XKR. You need to go back to the 12 pages of postings about this and look at my posts of how I had it done or PM me with your phone number and I'll call you with the information.

flyc2c,
While conditioning the leather is a good thing, it is certainly not what has caused this to happen to hundreds upon hundreds of X150 owners. I have worked in the home decor industry with upholsterers for more than 4 decades. The leather on these dashes is not anchored to the actual dashboard by anything other than a poor quality adhesive, no staples, rivets, or other fastening device that would be standard procedure on any other type of upholstery and which has been done on every upholstered dash (as opposed to molded dash) of every Jaguar product before and after. Once the dash is removed it is readily apparent that Jaguar did not even allow enough leather to wrap around the underside of the dash, it's cut flush, and there is nothing holding it down.

The leather can be stretched back to its original shape and anchored with staples around the center speaker cutout (after removing the grille and then hidden by the grille) and at the rear edge of the dash up against the windshield. I covered the staples at the windshield with a 1/2" leather flat braid that matched the dash in grain and color and which is invisible when finished.

Conditioning the leather theoretically will keep the leather supple and may prevent some "shrinkage," but it will not keep areas of the leather that have lifted from the dash because the adhesive has lost its ability to hold the leather. On my car, the entire air bag cover was flopping around like a placemat before I had it fixed.

hdavidson (01-06-2016)
Old 01-05-2016, 07:46 PM
Received 442 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg
bjfield,

flyc2c,
While conditioning the leather is a good thing, it is certainly not what has caused this to happen to hundreds upon hundreds of X150 owners. I have worked in the home decor industry with upholsterers for more than 4 decades. The leather on these dashes is not anchored to the actual dashboard by anything other than a poor quality adhesive, no staples, rivets, or other fastening device that would be standard procedure on any other type of upholstery and which has been done on every upholstered dash (as opposed to molded dash) of every Jaguar product before and after. Once the dash is removed it is readily apparent that Jaguar did not even allow enough leather to wrap around the underside of the dash, it's cut flush, and there is nothing holding it down.

The leather can be stretched back to its original shape and anchored with staples around the center speaker cutout (after removing the grille and then hidden by the grille) and at the rear edge of the dash up against the windshield. I covered the staples at the windshield with a 1/2" leather flat braid that matched the dash in grain and color and which is invisible when finished.

Conditioning the leather theoretically will keep the leather supple and may prevent some "shrinkage," but it will not keep areas of the leather that have lifted from the dash because the adhesive has lost its ability to hold the leather. On my car, the entire air bag cover was flopping around like a placemat before I had it fixed.
Thank you for taking the time to enlighten me!

tberg (01-05-2016)
Old 01-05-2016, 08:15 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

as the vehicle only has 31k miles and is garaged all the time if not being driven.
But it's ten years old which is far more relevant. How long should an OEM provide warranty coverage for purely cosmetic issues?

Old 01-05-2016, 08:58 PM

I have a 2007 XKR.

Old 01-05-2016, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by BlkCat
Looks like you have an XK which started its run in 2007. If so, I believe your post would be better placed in the forum for those cars. This is the forum for the XK8 and XKR which ended their run in 2006.

Welcome. I hope you are able to resolve this issue.

Jack
Actually I have the 2007 XKR.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Leeper

Bjfield - We understand you're sky is falling and you are having a tantrum, maybe somewhat justified maybe not, but it would certainly help if instead of just ranting we got some details like maybe what car you have, what year, how many miles, has it been parked outside for many years in the blazing hot sun in Florida, etc. before others can jump on your bandwagon.
I have a 2007 XKR with only 31k miles. This car sits in my garage unless being driven. There is no valid reason why this and all the other XK models starting in 2007 should have had this issue. I have had many vehicles, mostly expensive exotics all taken care of extremely well. This is my first Jaguar and probably my last since Jaguar NA does not seem to support their brand.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Mikey
But it's ten years old which is far more relevant. How long should an OEM provide warranty coverage for purely cosmetic issues?
When this has been an ongoing issue with this specific model from 2007 all the way to 2011 models reporting the same problem, the manufacturer should acknowledge the issue and deal with it. Regardless of the age, this should have been a recall for this issue. There are threads out there I have found going back to 2008 with XK and XKR having this de-lamination problem.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by flyc2c
I researched this before I bought my 07. It shrinks from dryness. When I brought it home I moisturized it (damn near soaked it) every 2-3 days for a month until it couldn't absorb anymore just in case the previous owner did nothing.

If you're the original owner then you neglected to properly care for it. If you bought it used but the dash was ok you had time to save it and you didn't. If you bought it like that what did you expect? Like you said this isn't a new issue.

Possible alternate solutions? Have you tried a trim shop? Maybe an indie to remove the dash and then a trim shop to replace the leather? If you remove the dash go ahead and do the duck bill drain in the a/c box. Maybe you could find a junk yard dash and do a swap?
What did I expect you ask? I expect a $95k care would have a properly manufactured dashboard that this would not occur. In my 40 plus years of owning cars, many expensive German sports cars, this have never occurred. And yes, I treat the leather all the time and the car has been garaged when not driven since new.

Old 01-06-2016, 05:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,166 Likes on 2,335 Posts

BJ, I understand your frustration but you seem to be treating the forum as an extension of your views of JNA.

While some responses may have lacked the empathy you may have been expecting, plenty of replies have included some suggestions for you to remedy the situation with your car.

Please take the time to click the thank you button. You have options. tberg has direct experience and provides a cost effective solution.

People here genuinely want to help, even if they disagree with your tact.

Old 01-06-2016, 05:37 PM
Banned

a 2007 Jaguar XK has a factory warranty of 4 yr/50K miles... BJ you're throwing tantrum on something that is some 5 years out of warranty, sorry no sympathy here. Like was said earlier it is purely a cosmetic issue that some have (and mine has it now too). There's methods to repair the damage to your car but they way this was handled here was poor at best. The fact that your car was garaged (was it left in the direct sunlight for periods of time? What the leather properly treated? etc) and has low miles, is totally irrelevant to how you are coming here in such a tizzy. No coddling here just tough love brother

"This is the LAST Jaguar I will ever own do to the lack of support from Jaguar North America". I think that is a good thing for all involved.

The other guy who went to his local dealership had VERY legitimate gripes against them and perhaps JagNA could have also got involved that was a questionable... your case not at all. Sell it, in fact I'll buy it if it is in otherwise great condition from you for $12K seeing how it is such an awful car with zero factory support... will a cashiers check suffice or would you prefer cash? I'll ease your pain and rid you of this obvious burden

JgaXkr (01-06-2016)
Old 01-06-2016, 08:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts

... And yes, I treat the leather all the time and the car has been garaged when not driven since new.
bjfield,

You have a 2007 XK and joined the Forum in December 2015, which raised some questions for me. Why didn't you join sooner?

When and where did you buy your car? If you bought it used, how many previous owners and where; Jag dealer or private seller? Coupe or convertible? When parked outdoors, do you use a reflective sunshade? Dark window tint? What brand and types of leather care product do you use? What color are your seats, dashboard, and exterior?

If all black, you were doomed from the outset in Florida unless you took every precaution to protect the leather. It doesn't take long for the intense Florida sun to dry out the leather adhesive and allow the dashboard to shrink. This is a common problem in Florida for other high-end cars (Ferrari, Lambo, Aston) with leather dashboards.

Stuart

Old 01-06-2016, 08:32 PM
Banned

As said early on - BJ has all of 10 posts most all of them in this thread, zero specifics on his car, zero details to the real nature of his dilemma other than his tantrum/tirade. His supposed issue is thta Jag won't cater to his belief that he is entitled to recourse some 5 years after a warranty expired... I'm calling "bull". If he wanted real solutions he would have handled this COMPLETELY different from the onset and would have likely been thankful for others who took their kind time to offer resolutions instead this looks like contrived bull to me.

Quick Reply: Jaguar North America is the worst!