XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Jaguar XK 2013 pix?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 08:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Jaguar XK 2013 pix?

anyone received Jaguar XK 2013? Kindly, share your pix!

Old 08-04-2012, 11:16 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Here you go.

Attached Thumbnails Jaguar XK 2013 pix?-img_1921.jpg   Jaguar XK 2013 pix?-img_1922.jpg   Jaguar XK 2013 pix?-img_1925.jpg   Jaguar XK 2013 pix?-img_1927.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Barry Leftwich (10-17-2023)
Old 08-04-2012, 05:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow nice man i wonder if it has aluminum veneer or wood..

Old 08-04-2012, 05:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by Lug_Nut
Here you go.

Do the 2013 XK/XKRs come with the 8-speed transmission? I know the XJL Ultimate is listed with it.

Albert

Old 08-04-2012, 11:23 PM

No, just the six speed. I don't know whether I would want an eight speed in a true performance paddle shift, I'm happy with six.

Old 08-05-2012, 06:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Just stunning!

Old 08-05-2012, 10:28 AM
Veteran Member

No, just the six speed. I don't know whether I would want an eight speed in a true performance paddle shift, I'm happy with six.
That is somewhat disappointing, particularly in view of its availability on the XJL Ultimate. Two more gears would close up the ratios so that the improvement in acceleration and high performance driving should be very noticeable. I was going to wait for the 2013s to purchase my XJL just for the rumored 8sp. But, the good factory incentives won me over and got a 2012 with the 6sp. For the nature of the XJL, I'll be happy with the 6 but, for an XK/XKR I would have definitely preferred the 8sp.

Right now the top two gears are for MPG numbers. The ratios between the performance gears are too wide for ultimate acceleration. I find myself driving most of my winding roads in my XK in 2nd gear only, when I should be really using 4 gears for the same. I bet you that with a good 8 speed the XKR 0-60 numbers would easily drop below 4s and the 1/4 mile would improve by a bunch too.

Albert

Last edited by axr6; 08-05-2012 at 11:01 AM.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:16 PM
Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

I agree that there could be improvements in the gearing. The xkr-s is essentially a 5 speed. 1st gear is useless-too much torque. The car starts off in 2nd gear in sport auto. I drive in manual sport most of the time and never use 1st gear. Seems like 1st gear should be 2nd gear and an extra gear could then be added (a tall 6th gear) to improve highway fuel economy

Old 08-05-2012, 05:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

With a car with as wide a power band as the XKR has, I can't imagine why you would need or want 8 speeds. It would be really obnoxious to have to constantly be shifting in the middle of curves and such.

Old 08-05-2012, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
With a car with as wide a power band as the XKR has, I can't imagine why you would need or want 8 speeds. It would be really obnoxious to have to constantly be shifting in the middle of curves and such.
I would be of like mind here. Being the abolute fastest 0 to 60 or the 1/4 mile is not really why I like or purchased the XK. Mind you, bragging rights may well be something else.

Old 08-05-2012, 10:36 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
Ask why all 2400 lbs, 640 RWHP GT-1 race cars, or all serious race cars, use close-ratio transmissions.

In any race or performance car you get max performance by staying near the peak power band values. If your car develops max HP at 6000 RPM, you want to keep the revs near 5500-6500 for max performance. You have to check your actual dyno values to see how much HP you loose just by dropping 1000 RPM out of that range. Usually significant numbers.

In my XK I loose LOTS of power when I shift gears, because the RPMs drop too much between gears and fall way off the peak power range. As far as I know the XKR uses the same gear ratios as the XKs, so in that case, they could also significantly benefit from closer gear ratios. That could be done by leaving first gear unchanged, make 8th gear roughly what 6 is now (maybe a bit taller for improved MPG) and insert two more gears in between. The car would be a BEAST with those two gears. There are perfectly good reasons why more and more manufacturers are going to 7 and 8 speeds under the present cut-throat competition for performance supremacy while trying to deliver decent cruising MPGs at the same time.

To be fair; hardly any everyday driver needs the 8sp. But, then, hardly any everyday driver needs 510HP in their car either. However, to keep up with the Jones's, with the Nissan GTR's close(r) ratio tranny or the new BMWs, Benz's etc. it is simply a must have.

BTW - You should NOT be shifting in the middle of turns. Close ratio transmissions do not require such practice.

Albert

Old 08-05-2012, 10:56 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by axr6
I find myself driving most of my winding roads in my XK in 2nd gear only...

Albert
That's because you're somewhat torque limited with the 4.2 non-supercharged. Second gear multiplies engine torque more than 3rd to give you the punch you want, and 2nd gear throttle lift would help turn-in by counteracting the understeer nature you've mentioned . Since you hold it in 2nd your engine rpm wouldn't be broad enough to use 4 gears, but maybe an 8 speed would allow you to take advantage of a 2nd and 3rd gear, and the 8 spd would definitely help acceleration.

The 5L S/C XKR is quite the opposite in that it's traction limited. Your same 2nd gear run would be done in 3rd gear where you'd have more torque to the wheels, and quite likely more than the tires could handle. I get wheel spin at 50 mph in 3rd when I put the spurs to it while going straight, never mind in the twisties. The ECU is actually limiting torque to the wheels, not looking for more. The practical way to improve 5L XKR acceleration would be with all wheel drive.

But an 8 speed will have the marketing types all geared up so it's sure to come, unless they decide to give us something truly useful like hybid power with electric drive to the front wheels like they were originally touting for the C-X16!!!

Bruce

Old 08-05-2012, 11:29 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bruce H.
That's because you're somewhat torque limited with the 4.2 non-supercharged...

The 5L S/C XKR is quite the opposite in that it's traction limited. ...

Bruce
Bruce

You are correct, the 4.2 XK is both torque and power limited. For max performance it really needs a close ratio tranny. However, max performance is NOT what the XK is about. That is why Jaguar made the XKRs.

I purposely included my example of the 640 RWHP, 2400 lbs race car as the example to show that even that car is NOT traction limited in skilled hands.

Today's top ultra performance tires are just about as sticky as the racing slicks were 10-20 years ago. It is only a matter of driver skill to handle the power and traction for those ultra high powered cars. You do not slam on the accelerator coming out of a tight corners but, treat that pedal as if it was an fragile egg and sink it only, and still gradually, when the car is fully hooked up. I suspect that a significant reason for the GTR's supremacy on race tracks or in the 1/4 mile vs. most of everything else is its close ratio tranny. Of course, no doubt, 4 wheel drive also helps a great deal.

Albert

Old 08-06-2012, 02:48 AM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Are those side skirts stock?

Old 08-06-2012, 10:41 AM

The side skirts are part of the Dynamic Package. Also it includes a 8 mm lower ride.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:27 PM
Veteran Member

Albert,

My comment about traction was made only to illustrate that the XKR is not lacking in torque via the gearbox in the gears you've found lacking...not to suggest there's a problem with maintaining traction itself As you discover in your brief XKR test drive, the DSC steps in to assist when those limits of grip are easily exceeded.

I've been impressed with the XKR gear spacing under track conditions where any mis-match in gearing and powerband are obvious to the skilled driver, so no need for you to speculate about its effectiveness, or whether it uses the same gearbox as the XK, as that wouldn't help anyways since the powerband of the XKR is completely different. But regardless, all XK's will likely get the 8 speed with the 2014 redesign and be even better for it.

The side skirts are part of the Dynamic Package. Also it includes a 8 mm lower ride.
I can't tell from the photos, but do you feel the side skirts have the "visual" effect of lowering the car more than the 8 mm drop would do on its own? I wonder if the springs and/or skirts would be available to retro fit to 2010-2013 XKR's not so equipped. That could be a factory solution to those wanting to change the "stance".

Bruce

Last edited by Bruce H.; 08-07-2012 at 05:53 AM.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:43 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Actually, it's lowered 10mm, not 8mm.

...and it looks damn near perfect.

Old 08-07-2012, 11:28 AM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

It DOES look good with those skirts and lower stance. That's an excellent question about parts Bruce... I wonder if they're available.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:15 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

aahmichael,

Have you gotten your car yet? Mine is on the water and the dealer expects it in a couple of weeks.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:11 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by HouTexJag
aahmichael,

Have you gotten your car yet? Mine is on the water and the dealer expects it in a couple of weeks.
It sat in Baltimore for 2 weeks, but was finally put on the truck yesterday. Dealer thought he would get it either late today, or sometime tomorrow. After he gets it, he said he would need 24 hours to do his thing, which includes switching out the wheels and installing the Mina exhaust. So, I should be driving it before the close of business on Thursday.

Quick Reply: Jaguar XK 2013 pix?