XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Jump Starter box with long cables

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 09:20 AM
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Jump Starter box with long cables

I'm looking for a jumper box with cables long enough to hook up to my 2010 XKR. I have a small jumper box in my daily driver but it only has about 6" cables which are sufficient if your car has jumper connection points under the hood but are insufficient for the Jaguar method.

I know I can buy a larger unit like the road service guys use, but I was hoping to find something more convenient. Any ideas?

Old 11-06-2017, 09:55 AM
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,783 Posts

Use the remote positive terminal behind the LH rear wheel and an earth/ground on the body.

Old 11-06-2017, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Someone please correct me if I am mistaken.

I would not use jumper cables in the XK.

1. you don't really have space to carry long enough cables.
2. you can potentially damage electronic or charging system.

I would carry a portable power supply as the one in the link below, it can fit in your glove box- if you chose to keep it there.
Amazon Amazon

Do I have this wrong?

Old 11-06-2017, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,150 Likes on 3,085 Posts

The OP IS talking about a jump-box, not cables.

Old 11-06-2017, 02:10 PM
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,783 Posts

If the OP uses the remote positive terminal and a local earth/ground point on the body there is no need for longer cables from the 'jump box'.

Old 11-06-2017, 02:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
Someone please correct me if I am mistaken.

I would not use jumper cables in the XK.

1. you don't really have space to carry long enough cables.
2. you can potentially damage electronic or charging system.

I would carry a portable power supply as the one in the link below, it can fit in your glove box- if you chose to keep it there.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06W2LRQNR..._t1_B01LSISK90

Do I have this wrong?
There is no reason why you can't use jumper cables if you use them correctly. What you don't want to do is have the donner car's engine running when you do the jump. Just hook up the + positive cable to the + positive terminal in the left side of the boot behind the plastic grill and the the - negative cable to the stud in the spare tire well. Hook the + positive cable to the donner car and then hook up the - negative cable. Wait for maybe 5 minutes and then start the Jag. As I mentioned DO NOT LEAVE THE DONNER VEHICLE'S ENGINE RUNNING DURING THE START OF THE JAG.

The following 4 users liked this post by jagtoes:
Cee Jay (11-06-2017), JackJohn (11-06-2017), Queen and Country (11-06-2017), ralphwg (11-06-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 03:23 PM
Veteran Member

That's my fear and nightmare.
I am stranded in some desolate parking lot.
Wait 45 mins for AAA show up.
And its a new guy who really wanted this gig.
Its Kevin Spacey and no one told him he should shut his truck off.

Old 11-06-2017, 03:42 PM
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
The OP IS talking about a jump-box, not cables.
Yes, thank you for clarifying. The issue is the small jump boxes such as the one Q&C listed is similar to the one I have in my daily driver. The issue is when the positive is hooked up the box is right up against the left side of the car and I only have about 6" which is insufficient to find a ground. The one Q&C listed apparently has about a 12" cable which I also don't think will reach an appropriate ground. Question for Q&C, does the Amazon product you listed attach appropriately on your XKR?

Old 11-06-2017, 03:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by AlexKeyWest
. Question for Q&C, does the Amazon product you listed attach appropriately on your XKR?
I find it easier and faster to remove the 4 thumbscrews that hold the back cover where the battery resides. And hook directly to the negative and positive terminals of the battery- this is what your jumpstarter was designed to do. Many of older concerns such as sparks don't exists with this type of a smart power source.

I don't see a downside. Perhaps someone can chime in what cautions one should take.

Old 11-06-2017, 04:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
I find it easier and faster to remove the 4 thumbscrews that hold the back cover where the battery resides. And hook directly to the negative and positive terminals of the battery- this is what your jumpstarter was designed to do. Many of older concerns such as sparks don't exists with this type of a smart power source.

I don't see a downside. Perhaps someone can chime in what cautions one should take.
I think you should check the manual as I believe that this method is a problem with the 5.0L cars. The issue is the battery monitoring system on the negative terminal. This is not a problem on the 4.2L cars as they have a different charging system.

The following users liked this post:
Queen and Country (11-06-2017)
Old 11-06-2017, 06:21 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
I think you should check the manual as I believe that this method is a problem with the 5.0L cars. The issue is the battery monitoring system on the negative terminal. This is not a problem on the 4.2L cars as they have a different charging system.
You would be the guy to ask. The manual was written before these things became ubiquitous.

I know that when charging the battery if you bypass the monitor, it gets the capacity wrong but has never bothered me.