XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Key fob replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2021, 12:23 PM
Received 87 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Henry Schmitt
I have read through this thread, and have seen several bad and good experiences... I recently purchased the XKR and it only came with one key, which works fine. I want to get a second key and get it programmed, without screwing up the original key's capability. I have found, on eBay, new aftermarket key fobs with uncut entry keys for ~$70. Do these work? Assuming the local Jag dealer will program it, what are the risks?

Thanks for any help from those of you who have been through the minefield..
I see you have a 2007, so you should be very wary about online FOB purchasing. In 2007, they went from a single-channel FOB to a multi-channel FOB, and they are not interchangeable. from another thread on this topic, that change happened at VIN B12815 which is part way through the 2007 MY. Check your VIN. If you are earlier than 12815, you'll need a single-channel FOB. I learned this the hard way, but the information is in these forums for those who dig deep!

The following 3 users liked this post by 007XKR:
Henry Schmitt (01-28-2021), kj07xk (01-28-2021), silvertonesx24 (09-03-2023)
Old 01-28-2021, 01:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 007XKR
I see you have a 2007, so you should be very wary about online FOB purchasing. In 2007, they went from a single-channel FOB to a multi-channel FOB, and they are not interchangeable. from another thread on this topic, that change happened at VIN B12815 which is part way through the 2007 MY. Check your VIN. If you are earlier than 12815, you'll need a single-channel FOB. I learned this the hard way, but the information is in these forums for those who dig deep!
Appreciate the heads up my VIN is B13630. So I need multi-channel... How can I tell if the aftermarket FOB is correct? Below is the one I have that works, it is Jag OE.

Old 01-28-2021, 02:30 PM

Appreciate the heads up my VIN is B13630. So I need multi-channel... How can I tell if the aftermarket FOB is correct? Below is the one I have that works, it is Jag OE.
That is a question that I don't have an answer for. My bet is that most of the FOBs available that claim to fit our cars will work. I think the problem is the earlier VINs like mine, because even the dealer was unaware of the difference until they couldn't program my FOB. Then it took a couple of weeks for them to figure it out, by which time I had came across the thread in these forums. I still have the spare FOB that came with my (used) car that 'just needed to be programmed'. I'll try to dig it up and compare the chip to your picture. It'll be tomorrow before I can get back to you on it.

Old 01-28-2021, 03:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,167 Likes on 3,393 Posts

There are no aftermarket X150 Smartkey fobs, but there are aftermarket cases for the electronics. You can either buy a brand new Jaguar X150 Smartkey from a Jaguar dealer or Forum Sponsor that sells parts, or a used Smartkey from Ebay or other vendor.

BUYER BEWARE! A used Smartkey might not be programmable, so get a written guarantee that it's refundable in full if it doesn't work. Smartkeys are "paired" to a specific car; like a child to its parent. To reprogram a Smartkey for use in another X150, it must first be unpaired ("divorced") from its parent. Otherwise, it's a brick. To unpair that Smartkey, it must be present together with its parent vehicle. Once that Smartkey is cleared, it can be reprogrammed and paired to another vehicle.

Unpairing and reprogramming is done with the Jaguar SDD (System Driven Diagnostics) equipment.

The following users liked this post:
007XKR (01-28-2021)
Old 01-28-2021, 03:19 PM

"BUYER BEWARE! A used Smartkey might not be programmable, so get a written guarantee that it's refundable in full if it doesn't work. Smartkeys are "paired" to a specific car; like a child to its parent. To reprogram a Smartkey for use in another X150, it must first be unpaired ("divorced") from its parent. Otherwise, it's a brick. To unpair that Smartkey, it must be present together with its parent vehicle. Once that Smartkey is cleared, it can be reprogrammed and paired to another vehicle."

+1 on this.

The dealer also said that you cannot program a single key FOB. You had to have the original plus the new ones that you want to add. If your original is damaged (mine was), then you have to buy 2 new FOBs. They were in the neighborhood of $225 each from Jaguar. They also don't come with the aluminum key, so if you want that, it's another $185 to have one cut and shipped from across the pond.

Stuart S (01-28-2021)
Old 01-29-2021, 05:12 AM
Received 175 Likes on 105 Posts

I had a bit of an issue with FOBs - a very good locksmith pointed out I had bought the wrong one and that there were differences, a local Jag dealer confirmed the correct fob over the phone. I didn't progress at that point.

Shortly afterwards my breakdown cover offered me with free key fob replacement. I made a claim a few months later, and they put a locksmith in touch with me. I gave him the part no of the key I needed and he ordered it.
When he came to the house he cancelled the key that was lost (don't know how), and re-programmed my new and existing keys to the car.
Since he did this the car has stopped automatically locking its doors randomly

Bill Mack (01-29-2021)
Old 01-29-2021, 05:50 AM
Veteran Member

Random automatic locking may be caused by a low battery, and is "cured" after driving enough to recharge the battery. A low battery can cause many electrical gremlins.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...oltage-109544/

wsn03 (01-29-2021)
Old 01-29-2021, 06:39 AM
Received 175 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S
Random automatic locking may be caused by a low battery, and is "cured" after driving enough to recharge the battery. A low battery can cause many electrical gremlins.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...oltage-109544/
Thanks for the heads up, I wasn't aware of this. It would make sense as I hardly use the car and was before the days of having my CTEK.

Old 01-29-2021, 08:29 AM

Henry, here is a picture of the FOB that came with my car that 'just needed to be programmed'. This is not OEM and is multi-channel. The dealer was willing to try programming it, which indicates that it's possible to use something like this, but they also strongly recommended using only OEM.

Button side

Battery side

This is a paperweight to me. I'd be willing to drop the FOB in the mail to you, but I can't guarantee it will work for anything. I'd echo the advice above to stick with OEM, but if it's something you want to pursue, and you PM me an address, I'll mail you this thing and it can be your new paperweight or new FOB.

Old 01-29-2021, 11:15 AM
Veteran Member

Henry, here is a picture of the FOB that came with my car that 'just needed to be programmed'. This is not OEM and is multi-channel. The dealer was willing to try programming it, which indicates that it's possible to use something like this, but they also strongly recommended using only OEM.

Button side

Battery side

This is a paperweight to me. I'd be willing to drop the FOB in the mail to you, but I can't guarantee it will work for anything. I'd echo the advice above to stick with OEM, but if it's something you want to pursue, and you PM me an address, I'll mail you this thing and it can be your new paperweight or new FOB.
Don't do it! It's not worth the risk, even if you could get it programmed. What can you do if it stops working properly and you can't start the engine?

That's where the Starter Control Unit in the center console comes into play. Docking the Smartkey fob into the SCU will enable you to start the engine.

You have no guarantee that this aftermarket, multi-channel device will work properly. What if it doesn't and fries the starting circuit and modules? Are you willing to take that risk to save a couple hundred bucks?

Why do Jaguars have 9 lives? Because they look before they leap!

The following 2 users liked this post by Stuart S:
Blues1 (01-30-2021), guy (12-14-2023)
Old 01-31-2021, 02:33 PM
Thumbs up

Button side

Battery side

Thanks very much for the kind offer. Yours is made by Siemens, and so is the OE jag fob. It is not a chinese copy. Assuming it was never programmed, it should work. Please stand by... I'm trying to find a dealer or locksmith that will program it. The local dealer will only program what they sell, and there are no local locksmiths that have the Jag SDD. I'm going to call some places in Atlanta tomorrow, then will get back to you.

Old 01-31-2021, 04:41 PM
Veteran Member

Henry,

It's your car, your money, and your choice. But don't say that I didn't warn you in my Post #70, above, about using that multi-functional, non-OEM Jaguar remote. Even if it's made by the same manufacturer, it's multifunctional and not identical and could damage the Starter Control Unit and brick your car. Is it worth it?

That's up to you.

Stuart

Old 01-31-2021, 11:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 908 Posts

That's where the Starter Control Unit in the center console comes into play. Docking the Smartkey fob into the SCU will enable you to start the engine.

You have no guarantee that this aftermarket, multi-channel device will work properly. What if it doesn't and fries the starting circuit and modules? Are you willing to take that risk to save a couple hundred bucks?

Why do Jaguars have 9 lives? Because they look before they leap!
The SCU reads the transponder in the fob contactlessly so using a 3rd party fob is unlikely to fry anything.

I would stick to a genuine one myself but the only danger I can see is that it either just doesn't work or gets stuck in the slot.

Old 02-01-2021, 07:25 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by u102768
The SCU reads the transponder in the fob contactlessly so using a 3rd party fob is unlikely to fry anything.

I would stick to a genuine one myself but the only danger I can see is that it either just doesn't work or gets stuck in the slot.
Your conclusion (and mine) are conjecture because nobody knows wthout actually having that aftermarket fob and inserting it in the SCU.

My point is that, IMHO, in the worst-case scenario it's simply not worth the risk. Others may disagree.

Again, it's the OP's car, his money, and his choice. It's a crapshoot. What's the worst thing that can happen, and is the risk worth the reward?

Old 02-01-2021, 07:55 AM

Henry,

It's your car, your money, and your choice. But don't say that I didn't warn you in my Post #70, above, about using that multi-functional, non-OEM Jaguar remote. Even if it's made by the same manufacturer, it's multifunctional and not identical and could damage the Starter Control Unit and brick your car. Is it worth it?

That's up to you.

Stuart
I appreciate your concerns, and understand the risks from yours and others posts. At present, I do not have access to a locksmith or dealer to program a FOB, be it OE or aftermarket. Since you are in Atlanta, can you suggest a fob programmer? I can ask those folks what they will and will not do, and go from there...
The local dealer where I live wants about $800 for a new fob, cut key and programming. They are known for being really high priced and no nearby competition. I'm not going to spend that much.
Thanks

Old 02-01-2021, 09:56 AM
Veteran Member
Henry Schmitt (02-01-2021)
Old 02-01-2021, 12:01 PM
Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

I appreciate your concerns, and understand the risks from yours and others posts. At present, I do not have access to a locksmith or dealer to program a FOB, be it OE or aftermarket. Since you are in Atlanta, can you suggest a fob programmer? I can ask those folks what they will and will not do, and go from there...
The local dealer where I live wants about $800 for a new fob, cut key and programming. They are known for being really high priced and no nearby competition. I'm not going to spend that much.
Thanks
Hello Henry
I paid a little less as they comp’ed the programming for me but no deals here in RI either. I had no luck with local locksmiths. I will say I feel much better having a second key available despite the high cost.
A call to other Jag dealers in Columbia, Charlotte and Asheville may be worth the time. May be they will be more reasonable.

Old 02-01-2021, 01:34 PM
Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

I recently went thru this on my 09 XKR. Only came with one factory key. I ordered a "replacement" online and went to the dealer to have it programmed. The dealer was great, they tried for well over an hour to program the new key with no success. I then bought a factory key fob from them and the key was programmed within a half hour. Factory key cost me $225. Luckily, the seller of the aftermarket key allowed me to return it for a full refund. Be careful, at one point while programing the aftermarket key they lost the signal between the factory key and the car. They were lucky to get them communicating again. Best of luck to anyone else trying this.

Old 12-13-2023, 12:12 PM
Thumbs up

Thanks
After spending too much time trying to find a less expensive route, I decided to go OE. The local dealer, under recent management change, reset parts pricing to more competitive levels. They will not attempt to program an aftermarket key fob, only what they sell. The fob price is $371, and is the same as Jag of Palm Beach online; they are the least expensive OE dealer parts supplier I have found online, and have bought other items from them. Programming is $160 and must be done with the car and other fob all together (as stated in this forum) at the dealer. For where I live there is no other viable option. Atlanta is same or more money and 2 hours away...

Fancy cars have expensive tastes. Thanks to all of you (especially Stuart and 007XKR) for your help and advice, it was needed to help me know that while the cost may be a rip-off, there are no other reliable solutions.