Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Locking and seat memory problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 09:20 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Locking and seat memory problems

Hi.
Since buying my xk8, 1998 coupe around a year ago, I have had one annoying problem. When I programme in new seat settings, the chime is heard, but new positions will not be accepted. This is the same for both seats, and I have followed the handbook instructions, and also tried several of my own, like taking the key out and back in before trying the memory positions. Try as I may, and even though the process seems ok according to the handbook, the seats will not retain the new memory. My wife often drives so this gets tedious.
Secondly, recently, the car is not locking on the remote. It got quite bad, then by chance, the battery went, so I replaced it with a new one. The problem seemed to go for a short while, but has returned. I have noticed that the car wont lock for several minutes, but after a while, will do so, even from a great distance. I have checked the battery in the remote, and tried others and another remote.
One a few minutes have passed, there are no more roblems until the car is next used.
My thoughts are that a control item is overheating.
Anyone give some advice on these problems?
Thanks
Paul

Old 06-29-2014, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

I have lost the chime on my seat settings also. However the memory that I set still works, but can't figure out the lost chime to set a new memory.

Old 06-29-2014, 02:51 PM

My chime works, it all seems ok until I press one of the buttons, and both seats go back you previous owners settings.

Old 06-29-2014, 03:47 PM
Received 87 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Can the kindly Moderators move this ???

Originally Posted by creuse101
Hi.
Since buying my xk8, 1998 coupe around a year ago, I have had one annoying problem. When I programme in new seat settings, the chime is heard, but new positions will not be accepted.
Secondly, recently, the car is not locking on the remote. It got quite bad, then by chance, the battery went, so I replaced it with a new one.
My thoughts are that a control item is overheating.
Anyone give some advice on these problems?
Thanks
Paul
Paul, this section of the Jaguarforum is for the X150 version of the XK (2006 or 2007-onwards).
You'll get better responses in the 'XK8' forum here.

However, I'll suggest the ever-popular 'low-battery syndrome'. You say it went away with a new (and probably charged) battery, but returned. Is it possible your battery is low ?? eg Not used much, or not charging properly.

Grab yourself a CTek charger (as recommended by RichZak, and endorsed by many, inc me) and fully charge your battery, then try again.
I notice you're in France - hopefully you can find a CTek or equivalant.

Good Luck, and remember the Lucas motto:
"Gentlemen do not motor around after dark".

Jeremy

Old 06-30-2014, 12:44 PM

Hi
Sorry for the mistake. The battery was put in a couple of weeks ago, and has been used regularly, and the rpoblem is worse when the car has just been used and charging. I have checked alternator, and thats ok, good charge, good voltage.
I will post this on the other XK section.

Paul