XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Looking for advice on the XKR vs 650i

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 10:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for advice on the XKR vs 650i

Hi All,
i am new here, and i am currently looking to purchase my first jaguar(CPO) or a newer 650i(CPO) , but do have some skepticism. I am hoping any of the current XKR owners can help me out here?

I am coming out of a 650i, and looking to get into an XkR( yes not exactly same category) but i am in LOVE with that exhaust..

Things i like about the XKR

Ridiculous power
one of the most beautiful cars on the road today. ( even though its now stopped production)
THAT EXHAUST noise...

Things i am not so sure about- could use some advice here. I am comparing it with my 650i ( with executive package interior )

i drive 15-20 miles max a day. and sometimes go in the canyons to floor it.

Any advice? what do you like most about your car? and what do you hate about it?
    does anyone have experience with ( or also owns) a 650i? to give a comparison

Much appreciated

Old 06-20-2017, 10:49 AM
    Veteran Member
    Received 5,149 Likes on 3,085 Posts

For me it would boil down to one thing.... BMWs have absolutely no soul. Jaguars are living things. No, not metaphorically, they seem to know what you want to do, and they make you feel alive while you do it. BMW is proud to be called (the ultimate driving) MACHINE........ boooorrriiinnnggggg...........

The following users liked this post:
    Ozmag (06-21-2017)
    Old 06-20-2017, 10:55 AM
    Veteran Member
    Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

To the general public a beemer's a beemer's a beemer's a beemer, blah, blah, blah, blah, regardless of whether it's special or not. Audi's get more attention.

An XKR is an OMG, did you see that? What WAS that? I've never seen something that looks so sexy before etc. x 10. Where ever you go in an XKR, folks will stare at it. They will ask about it. Little kids will point at it and honestly love when you wave to them. When it comes to driving the car I have no experience in a beemer but when you walk up to this car you admire how well the lines flow and catch the light. Even, well especially when wet it looks oh so good. I love to drive it in the rain to watch water beads flow up the hood.

Tough day at work? Knowing what's out in the parking lot waiting makes the day drag but also keeps it bearable. Knowing I can chose my trip home, either twisty back roads, full speed interstate blast or sedate burble with the cruise on and some old blues helping ease the day's pain away. The car will do anything well. I love pushing it hard on back roads. The aero is amazing and the car feels glued to the road at speed.

With this car you don't sit in it, you surrounds yourself with it. The door sill is above the seat bottom. The roof is fighter plane snug and the roof line drops behind the front seat. Rear window looks big but is much smaller than the rear view mirror. Call it 8" tall by 20" wide. The back seat is little more than an upholstered shelf. Speaking of which, the front seats do a remarkable job. The arm rests are in the right places. It's comfortable and sporty too.

I have two gripes about the interior. One, there's no where to hold my sunglasses or wallet except the center console. I leave the ash tray open and slide my wallet there and the sunglasses slide around behind the shifter. Second the fog light switch is hidden behind the wheel and can be a challenge to find when you need it.

There's so much more to be said but it would take all day. I suggest you read the past several pages of threads to get an idea of what goes wrong with the car. Sometimes the electronics are quirky, especially once the battery ages. The 5.0 suffered from some water pump issues and the plastic cooling parts fail just like every other maker's plastic parts after many heat cycles. Repairs are not particularly expensive unless you stick with the dealer. OEM parts can be found online for reasonable prices.

Hopefully this helps.

The following 2 users liked this post by Ranchero50:
    ralphwg (06-20-2017), XJDanny (04-09-2018)
    Old 06-20-2017, 10:59 AM
    Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

BMW very nice family saloon with loads of power, probably blends in with all the other family cars in the car park but the XKR will stand out from all the rest and you'll always have a smile on your face

Old 06-20-2017, 11:17 AM
    Veteran Member
    Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts

You have picked two wonderful machines, I also was picking between a F12/F13 BMW 650 or a Jaguar XK. For me one didn't win out over the other so much as I wanted to make a brand change for diversity, I am not a brand homer who locks in on one manufacturer, I want to look back and have experienced many. Coming from a 2006 BMW 650 for 6 years I chose to go the Jag route and have no regrets.

Unfortunately the Jaguar does not have the updated Infotainment technology that the BMW will provide, the system in it is 15 years old. For me that was irrelevant.

My previous generation (2006 650) BMW handled better than my XK, I just think that BMW has a better handle on the performance side. The XKR is extremely capable and should blow a regular 650 away, really the comparison is to an M6. If you were not impressed then you probably did not have the settings right on the XKR when you drove it, I tried one out and the salesman let me have it by myself for 45 minutes. I am surprised I wasn't chased down and arrested, the 5.0L XKR is a BEAST. I elected not to buy one to save my license.

The Jaguar will come loaded with most everything, heated/cooled seats, heated steering wheel, all leather interior including dash, great OEM stereo. I think much of that are add-ons or in different packages for the BMW. The Jag is a simpler interior design, but beautiful in execution, even though I am a fan of the new 650 interior I feel the quality every time I sit in my XK.

As far as depreciation the curve is about the same for these class of cars, of course the XKR has a higher starting point so it will be higher in general than a 650 of like year.

The following 2 users liked this post by tampamark:
    drbbop (06-21-2017), helpmegetajaguar (06-20-2017)
    Old 06-20-2017, 11:41 AM
    Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

You said you're coming out of a 650i now? What year is your 650i? Is it the older E63 chassis, with 4.8L V8?

The older 650is have basically the same 6-speed ZF transmission as the XKR. The newer twin-turbo V8s have the 8-speed. The XKR gearbox adapts, and also depending on if you were in Dynamic mode or not (or using paddles), they shift differently too.

The current 650is have a nicer looking center console screen, but the Jaguar has a more elegant design with far less cheap plastics.

Depreciation has been very, very kind to XKRs. In fact, it seems to have considerably slowed down because they are becoming coveted cars now. I bought mine for $45K after negotiating with only 26K miles on it. And my dealer has offered to buy it back for the same after I've put about 7K miles on it in the past 16 months. I wouldn't worry much about depreciation.

As far as performance: the XKR is hands down the better car. Handles better, sounds better, runs faster. And the looks and compliments you'll get...well, be prepared. My car is black and I NEVER expected to receive that many compliments. I bought the car thinking it was understated. But it draws stares and words a lot. People simply love it.

Old 06-20-2017, 01:26 PM
    Received 275 Likes on 138 Posts

The infotainment and interface on the Jag is from 2007. Compare that to a BMW of that same year and I'd say that no, ze Germans weren't any better. But now? Hell, even Kia makes a better unit now compared to what's in my XKR. Thing is, I didn't get my XKR for any of that. I have a couple computers and home theaters, so I couldn't care less if the XKR had blown out Sparkomatics from 1984 in it. However... as for the actual navigation itself, other than a slightly clunky input process, it works every bit as good as the Google Maps on my phone. I've run both simultaneously, and they're within about a second of each other when it comes time to give audible directions, and I feel that the XKR does a better job of letting you know a turn is approaching.

Depreciation? Who cares? It's a car, not a mutual fund. Go drive its gorgeous *** off, enjoy every minute in it, and lovingly maintain it. Whatever it costs you in the end in regards to depreciation will be worth it.

To me, the back seats serve as a reminder of the choices in life I've made. My peers have chosen to get married, have kids and drive minivans with Cheerios ground into the carpet. I chose education and career. But as for the seats themselves, it's probably the most perplexing part of the car. They could have just extended the trunk because the only people that will fit back there are toddlers or double amputees.

There is far more to the experience of driving these cars in anger than the gearbox. I'm a new XKR owner and have only had a few opportunities to give her the what for on mountain roads and even then, it's been at the most 7/10ths. But that having been said... ZF and Jaguar did a damn good job of making the transmission invisible and paying reparations for the slushboxes of years past. As is with the rest of the car, it just works perfectly. It suits the nature of the car perfectly. As a side note, a friend asked if I'd ever do a manual swap in the car and the answer is a resounding no. It'd ruin what the car is. The ZF 6HP28 is quite honestly, one of the most brilliant automatics I've ever had the chance to get to know. Around town in normal mode, it behaves like an auto should- seamless shifts that always keep the engine in the right spot, but in sport mode with dynamic selected, you'll forget all about a third pedal. There are accelerometers that sense when you're in a turn, preventing an unwanted up or downshift, there's a feature which prevents an upshift if you suddenly lift off the throttle under hard acceleration, it'll lock the torque converter in almost every gear, and speaking of which, there's a torque converter so you're not burning out a DCT in stop and go traffic.

To answer your questions... What I like most about my XKR is that it is perfect. I'll use this word a lot because everything about it is exactly that. The interior is luxurious without being overly done. Inside it is purposeful, simple and refined. It coddles you just enough to make daily driving enjoyable without being mute while driving hard. The suspension and brakes are so good, I haven't even given them much thought. The engine... Oh, the engine. To quote Jeremy Clarkson, "It's not an engine, it's a nuclear bomb." Surprisingly, it is remarkably easy to drive around town and not have to worry about speeding. It's not the type of car where you have to set the cruise control between stoplights to keep from ending up doing 30 MPH over. This is the duality of this car. If you want to cruise, it will cruise. If you want to drive in anger... boy howdy, will it get angry. It's about as threatening around town as a Camry, but give it a hot supper and hang on. You might find yourself looking for excuses to floor it- "that guy behind me is just a bit too close... I better hurry to catch that green..." ect. Or, you'll just do it because I mean, you didn't just buy a 510 HP car for the mileage, right? Speaking of which, I get around 19 around town, 25.x at 70 MPH, 22.x at 80 MPH, and about 16 MPG in the mountains. I can live with that. Lastly, the exterior. I dare you to find someone that says it's anything less than achingly gorgeous. Again with the Clarkson quote- "You won't know whether to stare at it or floor it." It's not the kind of car for you if you don't like compliments, random conversations in parking lots, or the occasional picture being taken.

What I don't like about it? Little things like having to hold the seat memory button until everything is done adjusting as opposed to just pushing it once and going for a ride. Having to push the park assist button every time I pull into my garage. The garage door opener- sometimes it works out in the street, sometimes I'll have to be in my driveway before it'll work and sometimes I have to press it more than once. The, uh... um... yeah, that's it. Just those three things. Trivial, right? I guess you could add the infotainment to the list but like I said before- I bought a car, not a computer so I don't particularly count that as a negative.

So in closing, drive both and see which talks to you more. If you're unable to differentiate or still on the fence, just get the BMW.

The following 7 users liked this post by Mandrake:
    Cee Jay (06-20-2017), helpmegetajaguar (06-20-2017), LoudHogRider (04-08-2018), Ozmag (06-21-2017), robtroxel (06-20-2017), sharx8 (06-21-2017), XJDanny (04-09-2018) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
    Old 06-20-2017, 01:43 PM
    Veteran Member
    Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

The 650 is pretty sterile compared to the XKR. Park them side by side and see which car the pretty girls & cool guys notice more...

In all seriousness, it's time you make that step towards a British marque. There's something to the Jaguar and like that you just need to own to understand...

BMW's styling gets old quick on most cars. I do like the 650's re-design, but how long before that looks dated? Jaguar designs them "right" the first time.

Old 06-20-2017, 02:27 PM
    Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I have...

2008 BMW 328i
    1996 Jaguar Vandenplas
    2008 Jaguar XKR
    2007 Lexus RX350

XKR has the best power and seems classy - My vote.
    BMW is a great car to drive. Like the crisp handling.
    1996 Jag is pure happiness. Don't care low performance as compared to fast cars.
    Lexus is a work horse and drives like a car and most reliable. AC is the best.

My two cents

Old 06-20-2017, 03:13 PM

Thank you all for the responses.

Its pretty evident that there is a lot of soul,depth and pride in owning a JAAGGG.
    I am coming out of the 2012 650i, so newer generation. It was plagued with a a bunch of issues, which BMW accepted and decided to buy it back.

Having gone through other BMW forums, they had mentioned that the issue was known and they have taken care of that now.So the newer 2014 ish generation vehicles( 650is) are much better, with bigger engines as well. So i did drive one too- its definitely is smoother ( than my current one).

Like everyone has said here, the tech on the bmws are pretty cool, HUDs/Nav/Driver assist and what not- but then i guess if i need something that is pure driving nirvana, i need the JAG.

I am a big Jeremy fan as well, but i kinda don't tend to listen to his opinions of British cars, mostly because he is very biased to all British cars- even the crappy ones.

But he is a fan of the M3 though( yeah not the same as a 650- but still)

A 2014 650i GC goes for the same price as a 2013 XKR( miles matter) so just you see, you technically get more car in the BMW- overall. personally i think the depreciation has hit bmws harder than the XKRs and maybe i was skeptical because of the Jaguar unreliable reputation. ( which is prob not true today- but its very evident that that sentiment has stuck to jaguars for a while now. )

i guess it all boils down to what emotion i give more weight to. Get a car that will turn heads in the jag,( and the cops ) or get a little more practical 650i.

Old 06-20-2017, 03:19 PM

now thats a love you don't see often. you should definitely never sell that car, and give it to your grand kids ( its a car worth keeping too)

Old 06-20-2017, 03:27 PM
    Veteran Member
    Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts

To me it's all about use and duty. No one gets out alive so enjoy life a little and quit worrying about practical. I have a '71 F-350 dually with a Cummins swap for that duty. A '05 street brawler built Sportster satisfies that itch. The XKR is my commuter car when it's not scooter weather or I'm just feeling old and sore. Wife has an older Explorer to put around in so I'm covered for all occasions.

Don't be this guy...

Old 06-20-2017, 04:43 PM
    Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If you have a fat ***, the XK may not be for you. The driver's seat is rather tight for a big man. I have an '07 XK, and an '08 E-class Mercedes. The Merc has noticeably wider seats, and for that reason alone it's better for me for long distance work.

Front parking aid is pretty essential too if you park in congested areas. The nose is long, and drops out of view from the driver's seat quite markedly; there's quite a bit out of sight, and it's not easy to judge.

On the other hand, the Jaguar is bite-the-back-of-your-hand-and-faint gorgeous; the BMW just isn't.

If you buy a convertible, with the top down you'll need a fast blonde for the passenger seat...

The following users liked this post:
    drbbop (06-21-2017)
    Old 06-20-2017, 05:18 PM
    Received 230 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by helpmegetajaguar
    A 2014 650i GC goes for the same price as a 2013 XKR( miles matter) so just you see, you technically get more car in the BMW- overall. personally i think the depreciation has hit bmws harder than the XKRs and maybe i was skeptical because of the Jaguar unreliable reputation. ( which is prob not true today- but its very evident that that sentiment has stuck to jaguars for a while now. )

i guess it all boils down to what emotion i give more weight to. Get a car that will turn heads in the jag,( and the cops ) or get a little more practical 650i.
    It's probably a stretch to call any GT "practical", so might as well go for the car that gives you more of what you want from a GT.

Sounds like you've been burned by BMW the same way I have, so I'm surprised you're even considering the newer model. The reliability issue is almost ironic, since Jag's poor rep is based on cars from a few generations ago, while BMW's poor rep is pretty current.

As far as tech goes, my other car has a lot more of the current bells and whistles, but I can't say I really miss anything when I switch to the Jag. The stereo is probably the thing that matters most to me in that vein, and the B&W audio system on the Jag is really, really good. I've never used the Nav unit on my XK, but then again, I didn't on my old BMW or any other car I've had since either, as phone apps seem to be the most current and easiest way to go anyway.

I'm 6 months into my 2013 XKR, and love it so far. I love hearing it start up, and I love seeing it in my garage - two emotions from my motorcycling days that I've never experienced with any other car.

p.s. I'm curious if you're considering a Maserati Gran Turismo as well? That was my original pick purely based on the exhaust note, front grill, and huge (for a GT) rear seats, but I backdoored into the XKR after some research. Still love the way the Maserati looks/sounds, but maintenance and repair costs scared me off.

Last edited by Simon Tan; 06-20-2017 at 05:31 PM.
    Old 06-20-2017, 06:10 PM
    Veteran Member
    Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

If you buy the bimmer, you'll look like a douchebag. Buy the Jaaaag, and you'll look like you're having a midlife crisis. Take your pick.

Old 06-20-2017, 06:18 PM
    Received 275 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
    If you buy the bimmer, you'll look like a douchebag. Buy the Jaaaag, and you'll look like you're having a midlife crisis. Take your pick.
    If they're the kind that has to validate their fragile, vapid existence by the appearance of what they drive, then I suppose there's that. But at that point, it stops being a car and becomes a fashion accessory. Women are prone to making purchases based purely on looks and/or if it will match a particular outfit or purse, too.

Old 06-20-2017, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Simon Tan
    It's probably a stretch to call any GT "practical", so might as well go for the car that gives you more of what you want from a GT.

Sounds like you've been burned by BMW the same way I have, so I'm surprised you're even considering the newer model. The reliability issue is almost ironic, since Jag's poor rep is based on cars from a few generations ago, while BMW's poor rep is p i had looetty curren

As far as tech goes, my other car has a lot more of the current bells and whistles, but I can't say I really miss anything when I switch to the Jag. The stereo is probably the thing that matters most to me in that vein, and the B&W audio system on the Jag is really, really good. I've never used the Nav unit on my XK, but then again, I didn't on my old BMW or any other car I've had since either, as phone apps seem to be the most current and easiest way to go anyway.

I'm 6 months into my 2013 XKR, and love it so far. I love hearing it start up, and I love seeing it in my garage - two emotions from my motorcycling days that I've never experienced with any other car.

p.s. I'm curious if you're considering a Maserati Gran Turismo as well? That was my original pick purely based on the exhaust note, front grill, and huge (for a GT) rear seats, but I backdoored into the XKR after some research. Still love the way the Maserati looks/sounds, but maintenance and repair costs scared me off.
    Actually i had looked into the Maserati too- but the same emotion, i dont think i can afford the repair bills- its too risky. I am playing the lotto- so keeping my fingers crossed

honestly i even looked at the Cayman s. I am not particularly brand guy- and would like to diversify- so i guess BMW is out for now. I think i was keeping it as an option because i do like the option of that occasional back seat( atleast for tiny people like my mom- thats not even an option in the jag)

as for the douchebag vs midlife crisis- i think any car you buy will have some king of 'label' attached to it

jag? Midlife
    porsche- midlife
    bmw- douchebag
    minivan? End of life. Ha!

Old 06-20-2017, 07:06 PM
    Veteran Member
    Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

helpmegetajaguar,
    As others have said, there are many attributes to owning an XK/XKR. First, it's much more exclusive, BMWs on every corner. Secondly, at least for the XKR, which obviously has a lot more horsepower, firmer suspension, etc., this may be a GT, not a sports car, but it doesn't know it. I've had mine on the track, many times, it's fun, it's planted, it allows you to explore its limits unlike anything you can do on the streets. Its (XKR) suspension is tighter than the BMW's, but it's not harsh. The 510-550hp is astonishingly quick with so much torque available at low rpms. Its exterior is simply more sensual and more stunning. I think the interior is nice, not especially exciting, but good enough, and the electronics are old, but as a 64 year old who has a number of old sports car, a clock was considered advanced. My one real criticism is the lack of any gauges, water temp., oil pressure, etc., and no dipstick so that you have to go through a cumbersome computer process to check oil level. Driving and reliability, even the ability to tune both the engine for more horsepower and the exhaust for more sound, are all excellent!!! And finally, this group of forum members has a vast amount of knowledge that is shared so willingly that it's just a pleasure if for no other reason than the comraderie.

Good luck with your choice.

Attached Thumbnails Looking for advice on the XKR vs 650i-dscf8217.jpg   Looking for advice on the XKR vs 650i-dscf8213.jpg   Looking for advice on the XKR vs 650i-dscf8206.jpg  
    Old 06-20-2017, 07:08 PM
    Veteran Member
    Received 5,149 Likes on 3,085 Posts

..............as for the douchebag vs midlife crisis- i think any car you buy will have some king of 'label' attached to it

jag? Midlife
    porsche- midlife
    bmw- douchebag
    Actually, I do believe that Audi has taken over a lot of the DB title from BMW as of late.

Old 06-20-2017, 08:40 PM
    Received 230 Likes on 105 Posts

honestly i even looked at the Cayman s. I am not particularly brand guy- and would like to diversify- so i guess BMW is out for now. I think i was keeping it as an option because i do like the option of that occasional back seat( atleast for tiny people like my mom- thats not even an option in the jag)

as for the douchebag vs midlife crisis- i think any car you buy will have some king of 'label' attached to it

jag? Midlife
    porsche- midlife
    bmw- douchebag
    Ha! Going by that legend, I've gone full circle from motorcycles prior to marriage to precocious midlife crisis guy (Boxster) to dead (Honda Odyssey) then back to life as a douchebag (BMW 750) that matured back to midlife (Jag/Panamera) :P

Cayman/Boxster/911 are certainly all fantastic machines, but I just didn't get any emotional pull from any of the Porsches I've had or driven. A buddy of mine picked up a 911 around the same time I got my XKR, so I got to compare both recently. 911 is hands down better in terms of steering and brake feel, but you really miss the Jag's torque - you have to make a conscious effort to drive the 911 fast, but the XKR is effortless and just feels like a beast.