XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Looking for "the one"

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 10:22 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Also, first thing he asked was about the Select Edition warranty. They had put it thru the inspection(sure they did) so that it was ready for be SE. When I told him I didn't want it, he acted surprised and puzzled? I believe they anticipated me walking in, paying advertised "sale price", tack on inflated SE warranty. Instead I didn't want the warranty and they needed to pony up for $900 worth of tires and I wanted another $500 on top of it.

I may have gotten the $500 in theory if I had bought the warranty.

Old 09-29-2012, 10:42 AM
Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Keep looking.

Old 09-29-2012, 02:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,198 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by chakka

We'll see how it plays out. It's a good deal, but not the best deal ever for sure!
It's got to be love at first sight and sound decision on final inspection. You started off on a sour note and now the car has bad karma. Maybe things will turn out? Is it your first choice in color and options?

Old 09-29-2012, 03:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

If I were you, I'd look at cars that are already on their second owners. There is a high probability that the second owner bought it Select Edition Certified already, and if you buy from a non-Jag dealer, you get the same coverage without a huge markup, since it follows the car. CARFAX reports should give you a clue about whether or not it is already certified, and this can be verified by calling Jaguar directly.

Old 09-29-2012, 05:03 PM
Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

"The answer is out there, Neo, and it's looking for you, and it will find you if you want it to."

Sorry but after seeing the title of this thread I couldn't help but insert a little Matrix humor.

Mike

Old 09-29-2012, 08:16 PM

There is another "one" in the area that I'm planning to look at tomorrow. Dealership has been nothing but helpful. My holdback to them was the mileage compared to the one I just looked at. But we're only taking 8,500 more miles, but $3k less! In retrospect, given my 7k miles a year of driving it doesn't really matter. Just hope this "one" looks like they advertised....🙏

Old 10-01-2012, 10:34 AM

Well, after terrible dealership I dealt with Friday(Chantilly Jaguar), it prompted me to look yesterday at Aston Martin of DC where they had exactly the same car(brushed aluminum instead of wood inside) but with 39k miles vs. 30k miles. The car looked brand new, barely a scratch on it, tires were practically brand new, brake pads were thicker, wheels were PERFECT. There wasn't even a scratch on the door sill area!

The dealership couldn't have been better. HIGHLY recommend them. Plus looking at 15 brand new Aston Martins was a bonus. The car was locally bought and serviced.

The second I got in it I had the right feeling. It was $3k less than Chantilly car, plus they took another $600 off. Walked out of there for basically $500 less than Chantilly, better conditioned car, less on wearable's and MUCH nicer people and I got a 3/50k miles CNA Preferred Car extended warranty. Looked up CNA and they are BBB rated A+.
One of the best car buying experiences by far! Signed the papers and it's sitting outside.
Absolutely the best looking car i've owned.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:22 PM
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Really happy for you, cheers to many years of ownership. And, just to underscore it...the importance of solid customer service cannot be understated enough. It makes just a world of difference when you feel that you're being told the truth and appreciated. Sounds like you got the better car, but I certainly appreciate that you received superior customer service. Burns me up whenever I feel like I'm getting the run around from dealerships or other automobile establishments.

I wish the Jaguar dealerships in this area would figure that out. It'd make me feel more comfortable when I eventually upgrade to the XF.

Be sure to post some pics!

Old 10-01-2012, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member

We need pics!

Old 10-01-2012, 01:28 PM
Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

+1

Congrats.

Old 10-01-2012, 03:12 PM
Veteran Member

Well, after terrible dealership I dealt with Friday(Chantilly Jaguar), it prompted me to look yesterday at Aston Martin of DC where they had exactly the same car(brushed aluminum instead of wood inside) but with 39k miles vs. 30k miles. The car looked brand new, barely a scratch on it, tires were practically brand new, brake pads were thicker, wheels were PERFECT. There wasn't even a scratch on the door sill area!

The dealership couldn't have been better. HIGHLY recommend them. Plus looking at 15 brand new Aston Martins was a bonus. The car was locally bought and serviced.

The second I got in it I had the right feeling. It was $3k less than Chantilly car, plus they took another $600 off. Walked out of there for basically $500 less than Chantilly, better conditioned car, less on wearable's and MUCH nicer people and I got a 3/50k miles CNA Preferred Car extended warranty. Looked up CNA and they are BBB rated A+.
One of the best car buying experiences by far! Signed the papers and it's sitting outside.
Absolutely the best looking car i've owned.
Glad to hear it! I think I saw this car in my online searches, but it was out of my price range. How much did you end up spending?

Old 10-01-2012, 03:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,166 Likes on 3,392 Posts

+1 Congrats! You've been through quite a process, but it was for the best - you bought a gorgeous 2009 XKR Portfolio Coupe at an excellent price!

If it's the same car that I think it is, here's the cars.com listing with multiple pictures:
2009 Jaguar XKR Base, $46,974 - Cars.com

I note that it has the optional adaptive cruise control, which I also have and use all the time. I trust that you will enjoy your new XKR as much as I enjoy mine!

Stuart

The following users liked this post:
chakka (10-01-2012)
Old 10-01-2012, 03:28 PM
Veteran Member

Dang, it's hard to imagine why this one was so cheap. I'd expect it to be something like $50k+.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
Dang, it's hard to imagine why this one was so cheap. I'd expect it to be something like $50k+.
Thanks to all!

I'll get some pic's up in the next day or two.

That is the car, but it seems it's already off their site. The car had every service record from a Jaguar dealership within a few blocks of the Aston Martin dealership. It was a gov't lease(glad to see we pay for $100k cars for them to drive). They paid off the lease on a trade in for an Aston and have had the car since April. The manager said he has a hard time selling Mercedes, BMW, Jaguar off the lot. He thinks people get intimidated going to an Aston Martin dealership to look at a "lesser" car. Can't say enough about how well they treated me.

Very pleased with the deal and I do feel from the 2 months of research I did on this model car the price is really good. I feel very fortunate and will truly enjoy every drive in it!

Old 10-01-2012, 08:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  19.3 KB

Sounds great, but............

Old 10-01-2012, 09:33 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks to all!

I'll get some pic's up in the next day or two.

That is the car, but it seems it's already off their site. The car had every service record from a Jaguar dealership within a few blocks of the Aston Martin dealership. It was a gov't lease(glad to see we pay for $100k cars for them to drive). They paid off the lease on a trade in for an Aston and have had the car since April. The manager said he has a hard time selling Mercedes, BMW, Jaguar off the lot. He thinks people get intimidated going to an Aston Martin dealership to look at a "lesser" car. Can't say enough about how well they treated me.

Very pleased with the deal and I do feel from the 2 months of research I did on this model car the price is really good. I feel very fortunate and will truly enjoy every drive in it!
Government lease?! That must mean some high ranking government official or foreign diplomat was driving this around! Any info on the previous owner?

Old 10-02-2012, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
Government lease?! That must mean some high ranking government official or foreign diplomat was driving this around! Any info on the previous owner?
When I paired the phone, it showed the previous person who paired theirs.
It came up JENNIFERS PHONE. Maybe Jennifer Flowers?? Whoever it was made
sure the car was well maintained. Not even a scratch on the door sill...

Old 10-02-2012, 07:20 AM

Tried posting pic's, is there something special I need to do? Followed the same way i've done it with other forums but it keeps failing.

Did a search, but can't you just manage(attach) the picture under advanced options?

Last edited by chakka; 10-15-2012 at 07:28 AM.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:29 AM

Keep typing in posting photo's under search on forum, but not getting a hit. I'd like to post pic's.....any help would be appreciated! I'm sure i'm missing something simple, but could
use some guidance.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:33 AM
Veteran Member

I once looked at an XJ8 that was a British Embassy car. It was a base model and not that well taken care of. I think the condition was more due to the 2nd owner not the Consulate.