XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Looking towards buying an XK

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 08:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking towards buying an XK

I am looking towards buying a XK,I have always wanted one since last year.Good thing is I am not rushing into this and do not buy on scene.What problems do they have?I do have a brother that knows Jaguars,he is a mechanic and does work on them.I always have him check them out first and get his opinion.This will be a weekend driver and sometimes to work.I am going to look at 2007 to 2011 models.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:53 PM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...newbies-67368/

I will add to this that not much was said about the difference between the 4.2 and the 5.0 engines in the thread, but deciding on an engine is a big part of deciding on the car. There are advantages and trade-offs either way.

Last edited by Muddydog; 04-12-2013 at 09:56 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,214 Likes on 918 Posts

Two thoughts. Having owned an 08 XK convertible and now having a 2012 XK convertible. I would definitely opt for a2011 XK if you can afford one. Why? 1. The 5.0 engine is a major improvement over the 4.2 engine. 2. Many fewer problem areas with the newer XK. As you read the forum threads note that most of the problems seem to emanate form the 07's and 08's. Remember that the above is just one man's opinion.

Old 04-13-2013, 01:37 AM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Good luck with the hunt. Having your brother check over any potential purchase will be worth its weight in gold.
Drive as many as you can. 4.2 and 5.0.
If the dealer will let you keep it for the day, use it in as many every day situations you can think of. This will give you an idea how you can get along with it.
Are you looking at just xk or also xkr?

Old 04-13-2013, 07:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

Do you want a coupe or convertible? Consider looking nationally for your car and have it shipped back. This might thwart your brother's help, but you'll be able to find that perfect car a lot easier. I would look from 2008+. 2007 has the antenna and non-folding mirrors. What's your top price range?

The 5.0's are nicer, but not as many indy's have experience on them (yet), and the 4.2 is a legendary reliable engine. Either way, you'll have an XK! They are easy to drive, good in traffic, excellent at speed. Easy to wash, and outside of weird electronic gremlins, an easy car to own. I use mine as a daily driver. Hardest part is front parking, the nose is longer than Cicero's and is tough to gauge where the front of the car realy is.

Old 04-13-2013, 07:29 AM

Coupe and I have driven one with the 4.2 and it goes,a friend of mine's.I am looking into the 2011s too.I have the money,my husband whom was killed in a car accident in December left me inheritance money spending it wisely.my range is $40,000.00 and up.XK,I might look into the XKR too.

Old 04-13-2013, 10:45 AM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

Hardest part is front parking, the nose is longer than Cicero's and is tough to gauge where the front of the car realy is.
No doubt. I turn on my parking sensors every time I pull in nose-first, and back in to spaces when I can.

my husband whom was killed in a car accident
That's such terrible news. I'm so sorry to hear of your loss.

Old 04-13-2013, 11:03 AM

I was hit hard when my husband passed.He never talked badly about my X type and knew I liked Jaguars.I started talking looking into buying a XK in November and my husband was supportive.Just came back from my boss's house,he has a XKR and let me test drive his,a 2012 and it flat out flies.His has a few modifications done power wise.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:31 PM

I went looking today.I found a 2010 XK with 30,000 miles on it,test drove it and the A/C did not work.The used car dealership said it worked before I test drove it calling me a limey noticing my British accent.I was not happy at all and walked right out.My brother noticed an oil leak coming from the left side,I took it to his place to have it checked out.Then I found a couple more,both 2010s and I did not like the color of both.One was in a wreck,hit in the left front and not fixed right.I found a 2011 XKR with 15,000 miles on it and liked it,my brother checked it out.He could not find a thing wrong with it and it was clean underneath.Said this one is a good buy.I liked the color,Botanical Green and it is well taken care of.Clean inside too,interior is in great shape with no tears and rips.It is from an estate,was a couple brothers that are selling it and it was their father's whom passed away in Febuary buying it brand new in 2011.Showed me the service records and the oil was changed before it was put in storage.I put an offer of $63,000.00 on it asking $65,000.00 for it and will be getting notified on Monday or tommorrow night.These two brothers have to wait for their sister whom comes back tommorrow morning from a buisness trip.

Old 04-13-2013, 09:55 PM
Veteran Member

Good luck with your impending purchase.

Old 04-14-2013, 02:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 875 Likes on 633 Posts

Not a lot worth repeating, but I will advise you to make sure your getting all the "whistles and bells" available for your year/model.

My knowledge of the 2nd gen (2010+), is quite limited, but with my 07, the stock stereo is barely adequate (and not upgradable!), so make sure you are getting the Premium sound option.
Front parking sensors were an "option" for my car I certainly wish I had after scuffing the nose so many times on parking blocks...
Look for what "packages" were available on your car, and make sure you get them all...

Nothing is upgradeable (in the practical sense) so what you buy is what you will live with.

Best to you!
Vince

Old 04-14-2013, 09:26 AM

It has every option including the premium sound system.I get all the service records including the purchase papers when bought brand new.It is what I wanted option wise and know it has been taken taken care of very well.The original owner never abused it,he always believed in taking care of things.Giving me the call at 3:00 PM when their sister comes by to discuss my offer I gave.I believe I will get it,I take care of things I own very well and they saw that.

Old 04-14-2013, 02:23 PM

Recieved the call and it is mine,they took my offer.There were two couples interested in it too.One wanted it for their 16 year old son and the other wanted it for their 16 year old daughter.They knew it was not a first car for a teen.Going to deliver it to my place tommorrow night.Calling the insurance company tommorrow morning to put insurance on it,have the vin off the car already.Luckily my boss has a fax machine.I am getting the detail kit their father put together with the wash bucket and car wash soap too with it too.

Old 04-14-2013, 05:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 85 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by cassiej
Recieved the call and it is mine,they took my offer.There were two couples interested in it too.One wanted it for their 16 year old son and the other wanted it for their 16 year old daughter.They knew it was not a first car for a teen.Going to deliver it to my place tommorrow night.Calling the insurance company tommorrow morning to put insurance on it,have the vin off the car already.Luckily my boss has a fax machine.I am getting the detail kit their father put together with the wash bucket and car wash soap too with it too.
congratulations, I have the same, its a great one.

Old 04-14-2013, 06:16 PM

These two brothers and their sister discussed my offer of $63,000.00.It was right away that they knew a differance of $2,000.00 was not going to hurt the price of the car wanting $65,000.00 for it.I came back from the one brother's place,I handed the cash over receiving the title,service records,purchase papers and a copy of their father's death certificate.Gave me a copy of the death certificate just in case when I put the title in my name showing the original owner is deceased and get a plate for it.Plus I had my daughters Alexis and Hayley with me,they said it was a cool car.I met their mother when I went over to pay for it,she was glad I bought the car and I told her that I am a Jaguar fanatic.That lit their mother's eyes right up knowing it was going to a good home and someone that likes Jaguars.I am 100% happy with it.

Old 04-14-2013, 09:48 PM
Veteran Member

Congratulations on your purchase. Good luck with the XKR and enjoy it.

Old 04-15-2013, 07:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,202 Likes on 933 Posts

That is quite a story, enjoy your new car. Please post some pictures when you get a chance!

Old 04-15-2013, 07:59 PM

Delivered today,when I got home from work.Put the insurance on it this morning and will put the title in my name including getting a plate for it on Wendsday.Plan on driving it on Thursday for the first time

The following users liked this post:
jagxk2008 (04-15-2013)
Old 04-15-2013, 09:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,581 Likes on 1,421 Posts

Congratulations and best of luck with your new car. You're gonna have some kind of fun!

Old 04-15-2013, 11:05 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck with your "new to you" Jag. I searched for 2 months & purchased a 2005 XK8 coupe via e-Bay 2/12. It had just turned 29,000 miles & was in absolute mint condition for under $20.K. Only thing I've done to it was put in a new battery & new tires. The 4.2 engine, albiet a bit sluggish compared to a 5.0 engine, makes no difference to me. It's bullet proof they tell me. The XK series are nothing but pure class. Owned 2 Jags in past - one an XJ-S was a pain-in-the-***(I owned it for 17 yrs).

$63. grand is a lot of bucks - remember they depreciate a lot during the 1st 4-5 yrs! Hope you got your moneys worth. I'm envious.!!!!

Quick Reply: Looking towards buying an XK