Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Loss of oil pressure loss after oil change,,,Help please

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 05:52 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Loss of oil pressure loss after oil change,,,Help please

Hello all,
After a routine oil change at my neighbourhood Jag dealer, i was advised by the service manager that the oil pressure was low and the engine was idling very sluggishly,. It is a 2008 XKR with a very low 31,000 km . This car was always well maintained and spoiled. never winter driven. Car was driving well prior to the scheduled oil change,

Now they have no clue what is causing this issue. They are in contact with Jaguar Canada to see what is the problem. they mentioned it might be an issue with the VVT.

Has anyone ever had any experience with this? all help will be appreciated as i feel i might get hosed by them.

Thank you in advance.

Old 05-27-2013, 02:38 AM
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Well, there are some things that you could check...although maybe they sound obvious...

1. Is there enough oil in there? Did you check?
2. Did they use the right kind of oil? Maybe they used ATF by mistake???

Because...what could have caused this because of an oil change? Well, basically nothing.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

Have the oil filter replaced ASAP. This may not be the problem but it's a quick and cheep way to eliminate a possibility. I'm surprised the dealer didn't do that right away.

Stay with us on this as we all could learn a few things.

Old 05-28-2013, 10:42 AM

thanx for the reply to my thread. I did call my Jag dealer today ( my XKR is still at dealer, as car is undriveable ! ).

And he assured me that they did not use atf oil by accident.

Old 05-28-2013, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

Is your car out of warranty coverage?

If the Jaguar dealer cannot tell you what is wrong with your Jaguar, you should probably take it to another dealership.

That's weird...

Have they checked your oil pressure sensors? Oil pump pressure?

Old 05-28-2013, 10:51 AM

I just want to add a few comments.

The car is still at the dealer since this ordeal , the car is undriveable, I went last Friday to check it out and it makes an awful rattling noise and the engine shakes something awful.

Now speaking to some other techs in the Montreal area, they all but said that the most probable cause for this was that after the engine oil was drained and the car was lowered, somehow the tech forgot to add the oil to crankcase, and the car was taken out for a test ride ( the part for the test ride was confirmed by the service manager at the dealer, as this is when it was discovered the engine was driving sluggishly ).

The lack of oil will cause the VVT to be damaged and probably my engine!

I really don't know how a simple oil change could cause this if it was done correctly. I do not know of any history with the XKR 4.2 l supercharged engine has these problems , let alone a TSB.

I really would appreciate all help in this situation.

Thanx!

Old 05-28-2013, 10:55 AM

Thanx for your message to this thread. Yes , it is out of warranty since last April 2012.

the dealer is very hush hush about this,,,like they are hiding something .
To bring it to another dealer? what if they accidently damaged my engine with their neglectful oil change?

Jaguar Canada is also involved at this time.

Old 05-28-2013, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Louenigma
I just want to add a few comments.

The car is still at the dealer since this ordeal , the car is undriveable, I went last Friday to check it out and it makes an awful rattling noise and the engine shakes something awful.

Now speaking to some other techs in the Montreal area, they all but said that the most probable cause for this was that after the engine oil was drained and the car was lowered, somehow the tech forgot to add the oil to crankcase, and the car was taken out for a test ride ( the part for the test ride was confirmed by the service manager at the dealer, as this is when it was discovered the engine was driving sluggishly ).

The lack of oil will cause the VVT to be damaged and probably my engine!

I really don't know how a simple oil change could cause this if it was done correctly. I do not know of any history with the XKR 4.2 l supercharged engine has these problems , let alone a TSB.

I really would appreciate all help in this situation.

Thanx!
I have actually been witness to this happening with another car - the refill of oil was forgotten and the car driven which destroyed the engine. If the engine is knocking and shaking then one or more of your crankshaft bearings are more than likely shot.

There is absolutely no way an oil change could do that to your car, except of course if you forget to put the oil back in!!!

Hope you don't have to get an attorney involved...

Sounds like that dealer owes you a new engine.

Old 06-08-2013, 12:18 PM

Good day to all,

I just want to give all of you a follow up on my nightmare, after the cylinder head was shipped to Jaguar Canada for verification, it was quickly returned back to my jag dealer.

On this past Wednesday the Jaguar tech from Canada was dispatched to view by car.

It was deemed unrepairable. Engine seized,.

the good news is that they quickly authorized the dispatch of a brand new engine.
No one has taken responsibility or explained to me what happened.

Yesterday I was asked to meet with the service manager at jag dealer, where he told me how lucky I was that this accident happened at his dealer and was able to get a GOODWILL warranty engine, which would have cost me $20,000 .

Instead it will cost me only 16 hours at $110 per for installation with a 12 month , 20,000 kms.warranty.

I should get back my baby later this week.

The moral of this story, ALWAYS be there .....insists that a experience mechanic and not a apprentice do work on these machines. And that in no way have car jockeys take these cars out for joy rides. I ve heard too many horror stories ever since ive been living this nightmare,

Thanx to all who took the time to respond.

Old 06-08-2013, 12:44 PM
Received 6,253 Likes on 5,453 Posts

Well that's good news, but why do you have to pay for installation?

Old 06-08-2013, 06:22 PM
Veteran Member

I suspect that your dealer, like many another dealer, assigns oil changes to the least qualified low man on the totem pole sort of bloke who made a major blunder. God only knows what at this point.

I lost an engine on a 54 Studebaker after a gas station oil change some many years ago. There was no oil in that engine. Not a damn thing I could do about it. Another time I had the tires rotated on a Mercury. thankfully, while I watched from the drive way. Anyway the guy got in the car to back it out for me and I had to stop him because he had not tightened the rt front lug nuts. So it happens even to the most righteous of us.

Glad to hear it turned out ok for you and kudos to you for the feedback and to the dealer for doing the right thing.

Old 06-08-2013, 07:54 PM
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

Seems to me if there was no oil in the pan, then when the man went for a test drive he would have noticed a WARNING Low Oil light or such being displayed, and would have shut the engine down.

I don't know what WARNING shows up on YOUR model Jaguar, but I'm sure there is one and maybe also an audio tone to go with it. Just my opinion and nothing more.

Old 06-09-2013, 01:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by Norri
^ What he said ^

I know the new motor has you relieved and I wouldn't want to jeopardize what ground has been made already, but this does seem to be a complete dealership mistake.

In my eyes, the resolution seems less than optimal, and should not involve cash from your pocket.

-an opinion, of course....

The following users liked this post:
jagxk2008 (06-10-2013)
Old 06-09-2013, 04:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

I've thought of installing hidden cameras in the car when it's in for service. And also marking items that are supposed to have been changed to verify that they have in fact been changed. I've learnt my lesson--I trust no one!

Old 06-10-2013, 02:23 AM
fma
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

You take a perfectly good car in, dealer destroyed your engine, dealer tells you how lucky you are, you're now paying ~$2000 to drive your car off - that's one hell of an expensive oil change! I'd be down there causing a major scene if it was my car and I certainly wouldn't pay them anything. No dealer would eat the cost of a $20K engine if it wasn't their fault, and they're just trying to stick it to you with this installation cost nonsense.

You're in an odd position, probably not worth lawyering up for $2K (and the dealer knows this), so I guess you're either going to pay it or fight it.

Old 06-10-2013, 03:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

Open an account with $10 in it, pay the dealer with a cheque drawn on that account and, when it bounces tell him 'sorry, I must have forgotten to put any money in it when it was empty'.

Old 06-10-2013, 05:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 85 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by steveinfrance
Open an account with $10 in it, pay the dealer with a cheque drawn on that account and, when it bounces tell him 'sorry, I must have forgotten to put any money in it when it was empty'.
The problem with jaguars are not the cars, not the owner, its the service maintenance basic that we can not get! just this. It's a real shame.

Who brakes jag reputation are not the losers who tells you "it's a jaguar" when you are down....these are jealous losers who remember what others jealous losers told them when they got their first type E or type 3, they are saying so cause never they will have the courage and money to buy one and enjoy it, get rid of them its a sign when things get worst they will come up with something else........since ford they are great cars but dealership has killed us one by one.... there is between 5-10% of good dealership.

Louenigma (06-10-2013)
Old 06-10-2013, 06:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 172 Posts

Whoa,
That seemed like a nightmare, Good Luck and at least haggle over the maintenance charge, there are too many unscrupulous people out there getting away with this kind of treachery.

Hope you end up well sorted and smiling again?
Best Wishes, Stu

Louenigma (06-10-2013)
Old 06-10-2013, 07:26 AM
Veteran Member

I just reread GrimLeaper's post re being charged for the installation labor for new engine. Sorry, I didn't understand they were charging $110 per hour. I thought it was a flat $110 charge.

Grim- contact Jag personally. If no satisfaction get a lawyer and send a nasty letter. Don't stand for this - even if costs you money. Actually, a strong letter from a lawyer may be all you need.

The following 2 users liked this post by tarhealcracker:
Louenigma (06-10-2013), Stuart Beattie (07-07-2013)
Old 06-10-2013, 08:32 AM
Received 136 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Norri
Here's the bottom line, if you can prove that the dealership was negligent and performed a faulty oil change that resulted in damaging your engine you shouldn't be out of pocket. However, If in Canada they have a "betterment" law, you might be subject to an offer of a used motor, with similar mileage, with a limited warranty.

I rather doubt that this is the case. I know it's tempting to pay the $2K because you're pleased about getting a new motor, who wouldn't be! That makes this your call, so you can decided to (1) pay the $2K (2) insist on paying nothing or (3) you offer them a "goodwill" payment of $500

Quick Reply: Loss of oil pressure loss after oil change,,,Help please