Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Maintenance records

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 01:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts
Default Maintenance records

Is it reasonable to ask the Jaguar dealership where a preowned Jaguar was serviced for all the service records? Is this confidential information? At Lexus it is not only easy to find but is readily available on their website if it was serviced at Lexus. I see on the car faxes only dates, mileage, and a very brief general summary of what might have been done. What if I wanted a detailed service history on a car I was considering purchasing?

Old 10-20-2013, 02:10 PM
GGG
Received 16,790 Likes on 12,164 Posts

I can see it's reasonable to ask for the detailed service history for a vehicle you own but not for one you are considering purchasing.

Graham

Old 10-20-2013, 05:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by bocatrip
Is it reasonable to ask the Jaguar dealership where a preowned Jaguar was serviced for all the service records? Is this confidential information? At Lexus it is not only easy to find but is readily available on their website if it was serviced at Lexus. I see on the car faxes only dates, mileage, and a very brief general summary of what might have been done. What if I wanted a detailed service history on a car I was considering purchasing?
Boca:

When I bought my Jag XKR this May of 2013, I did the AutoCheck and Carfax reports. The CarFax was helpful as it told me that the XKR was serviced at West Palm Beach Jaguar. I got on the phone, called them and spoke to the Jaguar Tech Writer as they are called. He verified all the work that was ever done on the car, BUT would not send me copies of the service records due to confidentiality of the previous owners. In fact the Jag Tech Writer, Allen at West Palm Beach Jaguar was very familiar with my car as he was the exact person that always checked the car in prior to serviceing.

I understand that some Jaguar dealers "might" provide this info, but in my case they would only verify. All they needed from me was the last 6 numbers of the VIN, they punched that into their computers and provided the info over the phone. They confirmed everything and all servicing of the car that matched the CarFax report. I was very appreciative for their time, and I then ended up buying the car.

No disappointments and I was glad I spent the money for the AutoCheck and CarFax reports and took the time to call the dealer listed on the Carfax.

You might want to do the same for verifcation. Unfortunitely, Jaguar dealership across the country do not have a main data base that any Jaguar dealer can see service records from other dealers. At least I am not aware of any.

After I got my car delivered, I took it to my local Jag dealer (Garcia Jaguar, El Paso Texas) for oil and filter cahnge, general overall inspection, but they could not retrieve any past service records.

Hope this helps.

The following users liked this post:
bocatrip (10-20-2013)
Old 10-20-2013, 10:29 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Richzak. Almost all the cars I've looked at on line have car fax reports attached or once requested, the seller sends it over. I've seen some scary stuff, some of which doesn't make sense. I see cars travel to different states to get service. I've seen a Jag sold new by a Toyota dealership. Without any service records, I'm fairly certain I will not go forward with laying out over 50 grand. My biggest problem is finding a car locally I can see and most of the better deals are out of state. I would have to travel to see it, find an independent shop to inspect it etc. I'd rather pay a little more and have all inspections done in my comfort zone. Also, if there are any problems after the sale, I can go back to the dealer if I purchase locally.

Old 10-20-2013, 11:32 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Richzak. Almost all the cars I've looked at on line have car fax reports attached or once requested, the seller sends it over. I've seen some scary stuff, some of which doesn't make sense. I see cars travel to different states to get service. I've seen a Jag sold new by a Toyota dealership. Without any service records, I'm fairly certain I will not go forward with laying out over 50 grand. My biggest problem is finding a car locally I can see and most of the better deals are out of state. I would have to travel to see it, find an independent shop to inspect it etc. I'd rather pay a little more and have all inspections done in my comfort zone. Also, if there are any problems after the sale, I can go back to the dealer if I purchase locally.
Boca:

You're in an area where at lot of Jaguars are leased and then eventually placed up for sale after about 3 years. I live in New Mexico and found the car in Florida so I had to make sure that I was making the right decision on a $46,000 purchase. I did my due diligence and tried to find out as much about the car as possible, then made the leap.

Since you live fairly close to Miami and Ft. Lauderdale you have a very good chance of being able to see the car close up and inspect it yourself. I am sure that you will find allot of Jags for sale in your area. Just be patient and get the one you want. Don"t make the purchase an impulse purchase.

Best to you. There are so many people on the forum that can help lend advice and discuss their own experiences owning these premium cars.

Old 10-20-2013, 11:33 PM
Veteran Member

Boca:

You're in an area where at lot of Jaguars are leased and then eventually placed up for sale after about 3 years. I live in New Mexico and found the car in Florida so I had to make sure that I was making the right decision on a $46,000 purchase. I did my due diligence and tried to find out as much about the car as possible, then made the leap.

Since you live fairly close to Miami and Ft. Lauderdale you have a very good chance of being able to see the car close up and inspect it yourself. I am sure that you will find allot of Jags for sale in your area. Just be patient and get the one you want. Don't make the purchase an impulse purchase.

Best to you. There are so many people on the forum that can help lend advice and discuss their own experiences owning these premium cars.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by richzak
Boca:

Since you live fairly close to Miami and Ft. Lauderdale you have a very good chance of being able to see the car close up and inspect it yourself. I am sure that you will find allot of Jags for sale in your area. Just be patient and get the one you want. Don't make the purchase an impulse purchase.

Richzak. Yes, Florida does seem to be the headquarters for XK ownership and there are a number of cars available here at premium prices. I do appreciate and agree very much with your advice about being patient in order to get the "right car". I'm past the stage in my life with buying on impulse. Actually, I over think and analyze, but am used to buying new cars (other than my LS430). I'm extremely particular and will not settle. I guess you purchased your car without your personal and visual inspection, something I could never do, but looking at the pictures of your Portfolio Edition you got a winner! Thanks again for your positive imput and my search will continue. I'm looking for the lowest mileage, unblemished, 2010-2011 XK Coupe out there with the color combo I like. I hope medicare doesn't kick in before my purchase!

Old 10-21-2013, 11:43 AM
Received 98 Likes on 59 Posts

What would it hurt to have the records sent to you with the previous owners name and address blacked out???????
Might be a reasonable request? (With a delivered bottle of Jack Daniels)

Old 10-21-2013, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by hawaii
What would it hurt to have the records sent to you with the previous owners name and address blacked out???????
Might be a reasonable request? (With a delivered bottle of Jack Daniels)
I agree and with the cost of potential repairs a case of Jack Daniels could be an option!

Old 01-15-2014, 01:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sure would be nice to know if the tensioners have been updated in my 02 XKR

Old 01-15-2014, 03:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

I got everything when I bought my car including the receipts for non-dealer items like previous sets of tires, etc.. The previous owners kept everything in the owner's manual case and they just gave it all to me when I bought the car (including window sticker).

Did not ask for any of it.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Richzak. Yes, Florida does seem to be the headquarters for XK ownership and there are a number of cars available here at premium prices.
I am sure you must be check offleaseonly.com, no?

I would call or visit all the local Jag dealers with your specific criteria and if there's a salesperson worth their weight in salt; they'll be on the look out for you. I bought my car from a Jag dealer in NC. I was kind of interested in one car that was not exactly what I wanted and then called me with the one I own now. Car was so perfect, did not need to inspect it or anything. I did need to replace tires in short order, but tires do not last long on this car. Under 30K miles on 3rd set of tires...

Old 01-15-2014, 04:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

I am having the same dilemma. My XKR was serviced at some dealer in New England. I haven't tried to call, because with my last Jag, some dealer in Texas wouldn't verify anything for me and said it was "confidential"...

Old 01-15-2014, 05:41 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
I am having the same dilemma. My XKR was serviced at some dealer in New England. I haven't tried to call, because with my last Jag, some dealer in Texas wouldn't verify anything for me and said it was "confidential"...
I would first start with a CarFax report as most Jaguar dealers here in the USA will report service reports to CarFax. If you have ever had your Jag serviced, I am sure that your service provider (bonafide Jaguar Dealership Service Department or other brand dealership) will attest that they do in fact report to Carfax.

Carfax will provide the name and address of the dealer. Then you could call the servicing dealer and provide the VIN number of the car. If the data is still in their computer system, they will be able to verify what work was done, and most likely provide additional information.

Jaguar dealers across the US do not share service records between Jaguar dealerships.

I went through this exercise when I bought my 2009 Jaguar XKR in May 2013.

I paid for the Carfax, which was cheap to learn the history of the car. I reviewed all service records within the Carfax then followed up and called the service department of the Jaguar dealership (West Palm Beach Jaguar), then narrowed down my search to the exact Jaguar Tech Writer who knew the car and he provided additional insight to me before I bought the car. The Jag dealer in Florida however would NOT provide copies of the service record receipts from Jaguar due to confidentiality. They would not simply cross out the name and address and send the info. I had many questions, the tech writer answered them and I was satisfied.

In order to find the info you are seeking, you must be willing to investigate, and make telephone calls. The older the service records are, the most likely probability is that the data may have been eliminated from their computer systems. I have been told look back on computer data is about 3 years.

Hopefully this is a start to securing your data on the servicing of your car. Be polite and cordial with the servicing dealer and you may go a long way getting your data. Start with the Service Manager first.

Hope this experience helps someone.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:36 PM
Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Complete service records might be difficult to find as the previous owner(s) might not have had all the work done at a Jaguar dealership. I have virtually all of my work done by an indie and file every work order.

Carfax and AutoCheck are a great resource but obviously do not report everything. I checked both when I bought my car locally from a private seller two years ago. The car went from New England to Texas to Georgia. There was a "pink" flag about when the car was CPO'd so I called the Texas dealer and they clarified the issue.

While I was interested in this car I also was researching another car in Chicago. In talking with the Chicago dealer I asked if I could have an independent service go over the car at the dealership. They were fine with that. I also had the independent service go over the local car that I finally bought and the report was excellent. Easily the best peace of mind $150 that I've spent.

Research, research and more research is invaluable. In addition, I think it is imperative to take a pro active approach.

I was fortunate to have found exactly the car that I did not realize I wanted!

Don't settle...

Best regards and good hunting,

Old 01-15-2014, 06:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by richzak
In order to find the info you are seeking, you must be willing to investigate, and make telephone calls. The older the service records are, the most likely probability is that the data may have been eliminated from their computer systems. I have been told look back on computer data is about 3 years.
Oh dear, I guess most of the maintenance records have already been eliminated, then!

I did check the Carfax report, which did give me a general idea of what was done. Lots of reports for "checking electrical system", which I imagine was the previous owner trying to figure out all the electrical gremlins I am dealing with myself!

Old 01-15-2014, 06:44 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

I'm looking for the lowest mileage, unblemished, 2010-2011 XK Coupe out there with the color combo I like.
I have to question the importance of service records on such a recent car. Today's Jags are not the same beasts of 20-30 years ago that required 3 hours of fiddling for every 2 hours of driving. They're just as reliable and maintenance-free as any other car on the road today, in other words there's really nothing to 'service' anymore.

There is no legal reason to bring a car to a dealer for scheduled maintenance- it can be done by any corner garage or the owner himself as long as receipts are kept in case of warranty concerns.

Being that factory dealers can be few and far between in outlying areas, I'm sure many owners would forego even 'free' servicing at a dealer if it's an hour or two away in the wrong direction and have their local guy do it instead.

As much as lack of records would not put me off a given car, the presence of them wouldn't impress me much either. Have a look at the tasks and intervals on the maintenance schedule for the car in question- none of it is rocket science nor would most of it not being done make much of a difference in a car's long term health, oil and filter changes aside.

Just saying this to suggest that you might inadvertently be rejecting some very nice cars

Old 01-16-2014, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member

Even on a recent car, it's easy to get behind on the maintenance--at least the maintenance schedule published in the books. Bogus "fuel treatments", alignments, "fluid checks" (like transmission and differential) and "lube chassis", etc., are things that I have found on my wife's 2012 Hyundai Sonata maintenance schedule. It's 2 years old and it has 16k miles and they already want me to check the tranny fluid??

I wonder if not doing exactly what's published is grounds for voiding the warranty. If it were, I'd be pretty upset!

Last edited by amcdonal86; 01-16-2014 at 11:49 AM.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:17 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
Even on a recent car, it's easy to get behind on the maintenance--at least the maintenance schedule published in the books. Bogus "fuel treatments", alignments, "fluid checks" (like transmission and differential) and "lube chassis", etc., are things that I have found on my wife's 2012 Hyundai Sonata maintenance schedule. It's 2 years old and it has 16k miles and they already want me to check the tranny fluid??

I wonder if not doing exactly what's published is grounds for voiding the warranty. If it were, I'd be pretty upset!
None of the Hyundai tasks mentioned exist on a Jag under 60K miles except for universal joints which need to be greased at the same interval as oil/filter changes. The remainder of the tasks are 'inspect' or 'check' a particular item but no mention of mandatory replace or change.

Warranty can only be denied if the lack of scheduled maintenance contributes directly to the failure. IOW- if the brake fluid wasn't changed (2 year interval) and the radiator springs a leak- there's no connection.

Old 01-16-2014, 02:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 310 Posts

My theory is always ask for ANYTHING you need politely and with good reason(sometimes). All they can do is say no. If you purchasing something and the data contains personal information, if asked nicely someone will provide you with what you need and scrub the personal data. Just my ten cents.

Last edited by MaximA; 01-16-2014 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Spell check that didnt check.

Quick Reply: Maintenance records