XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Mounting tablet to dash.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 11:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

I'm surprised people still use Tom Toms. If you have an Android phone, the Google nav app is extremely easy to use, especially with voice search.

The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (04-07-2015)
Old 04-06-2015, 11:56 PM
Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
I don't see why these Nav Systems are so hated, they really aren't that bad, other than being a touch on the slow side to react. I think most of the problems arise from people not reading the book. My wife's Lexus has a 3" x 5" book about 240 pages on the Nav System alone. She won't use it because she doesn't know how, so it just sits on MAPS the whole time. Our XK/R system has the typical POIs, Restaurants (sorted by type), Voice Turn-By-Turn, Hospitals, so-on and so-on. It's actually much easier to use than the Lexus system, and if/when I ever need it to drive somewhere new (I play with it sometimes and it's quite accurate and handy), I will certainly use it, it isn't really any worse than a Tom Tom, and it certainly looks a HECK of a lot cleaner than a lighted board mounted on the dash.
My whole purpose of doing this was more for the Torque app and the various music apps that I use. I also think that the stock navigation setup works perfectly fine. For the way I want to use the tablet I am really starting to like having it mounted over the factory screen. Seat heat/cool is really the only reason I've pulled the tablet down. I get that you don't like it, that's your opinion. I had several people at cars&coffee last Saturday compliment me on it.

Because of thickness of the trim panel magnets are out of the question at this point. I have tried several different types and sizes so far and have sent the tablet flying having some fun while driving. Now I think I will look for another trim piece to try to modify in a way that accomplishes what I want.

Last edited by RainsFather; 04-07-2015 at 12:01 AM.
Old 04-07-2015, 12:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

I use TomTom because of the live traffic update service it has, as well as the speed-camera alerts. Also, I prefer to have the nav screen close to my field of vision, so I can see what's coming up rather than just rely on the voice instructions - I don't like having to look away from the road. I use it as a digital speedo for the same reason.

The virtual instruments via OBD is a good reason for this project. I'm not sure whether the fact that it blocks access to the touchscreen for other functions would annoy me too much or not.

Old 04-07-2015, 10:54 AM
Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
I'm surprised people still use Tom Toms. If you have an Android phone, the Google nav app is extremely easy to use, especially with voice search.
Exactly I can say ok google where I want to go and be done with it. Maps are always updated without me having to do anything and their traffic service is free.

You can also get copilot for $20 that includes lifetime map upgrades and live traffic for $8 a year.

With all of the other options out there I have a hard time understanding why someone would pay $300-$500 for another device that you have to keep track of or why you would pay $200 a year to update the jag software.

Old 04-07-2015, 05:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

On the 2012 and newer XK/XKRs each turn and your target show up in front of the driver between the Tach and Speedometer prior to the turn and upon approach to the target. A great modification to the GPS.

Old 04-07-2015, 05:32 PM
Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ralphwg
On the 2012 and newer XK/XKRs each turn and your target show up in front of the driver between the Tach and Speedometer prior to the turn and upon approach to the target. A great modification to the GPS.
Having that started before '12, don't know when though. Both my '11 XKR and my wife's '11 XF do that. Only difference is mine has multiple colors and hers seems monochromatic.

Old 04-07-2015, 06:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,160 Likes on 3,090 Posts

Originally Posted by RainsFather
Having that started before '12, don't know when though. Both my '11 XKR and my wife's '11 XF do that. Only difference is mine has multiple colors and hers seems monochromatic.
Originally Posted by ralphwg
Agree, my 2010 XKR has that feature. It's very accurate when there are numerous possible lanes and/or intersections.

Old 06-05-2018, 10:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's annoying I can't replace with an Android head unit. I'd almost consider finding a tablet of a similar size to the inbuilt screen to simply stick over, seeing as there are hardware buttons for A/C and audio on the XF. The only issue would be charging the device!

I am considering a more complimentary approach using an Android tablet for music, Torque, navigation and dashcam, if I could mount it with a view of the windshield.

Something that could flip up, say above the nav screen, and fold down over it, face down would be amazing but not sure it'd get a clear view for the camera

Old 06-05-2018, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Originally Posted by jfire
It's annoying I can't replace with an Android head unit.
Its annoying because our expectations are misplaced. Allow me to explain.

The interface for this car had to be designed when the car was- 12 years ago.

A decade ago, absolutely no one knew that things such as Android car would even be relevant. And we still dont know today as there are competing technologies. And most importantly, no single solution is complete. Android for instance only works properly in the presence of wifi. I actually prefer satellite communications as it works no matter what other than inside buildings and tunnels. And its much faster.

The Jaguars coming off the line today have it all, Satellite, Android and Apple. So the are doing the best they can.

Note: Android tracks everything you do and sells that information. That may not seem problematic- till you come across an astute divorce lawyer.

Old 06-05-2018, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member

As example; Paul Manafort has 2 Range Rovers.
He is thanking his stars that RR did not have Android keeping track of where the cars had been and what other Android devices had been in it.

Old 06-05-2018, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,168 Likes on 2,336 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
Its annoying because our expectations are misplaced. Allow me to explain.

The interface for this car had to be designed when the car was- 12 years ago.

A decade ago, absolutely no one knew that things such as Android car would even be relevant. And we still dont know today as there are competing technologies. And most importantly, no single solution is complete. Android for instance only works properly in the presence of wifi. I actually prefer satellite communications as it works no matter what other than inside buildings and tunnels. And its much faster.

The Jaguars coming off the line today have it all, Satellite, Android and Apple. So the are doing the best they can.

Note: Android tracks everything you do and sells that information. That may not seem problematic- till you come across an astute divorce lawyer.
Edit: pulled the wrong post down but I agree with your comments Q & C

Last edited by Sean W; 06-05-2018 at 12:45 PM.
Queen and Country (06-05-2018)
Old 06-05-2018, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jfire
It's annoying I can't replace with an Android head unit. I'd almost consider finding a tablet of a similar size to the inbuilt screen to simply stick over, seeing as there are hardware buttons for A/C and audio on the XF. The only issue would be charging the device!

I am considering a more complimentary approach using an Android tablet for music, Torque, navigation and dashcam, if I could mount it with a view of the windshield.

Something that could flip up, say above the nav screen, and fold down over it, face down would be amazing but not sure it'd get a clear view for the camera
Android Auto can be incorporated into you XK. I've done it. Do a search for Android and you'll see all kinds of info, including some video demos. I did it using and Android media box but it can be done with a phone as well, but requires the right phone.

Queen and Country (06-05-2018)
Old 06-05-2018, 12:45 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Sean W
Android Auto can be incorporated into your XK. I've done it.
You are telling the wrong guy. I dont even use Chrome browser, its big brother with the ethics of a drug dealer. lol.

Last edited by Queen and Country; 06-05-2018 at 12:47 PM. Reason: oops- we are going in circles. lol. I am leaving my post
Old 06-05-2018, 03:17 PM
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts

Will the news of the new iOS beta that will allow third party apps like google maps and waze be used through Apple CarPlay which should mirror the phone on the car display make this any easier do you think?

Last edited by PsiFox; 06-06-2018 at 01:59 AM.
Old 06-05-2018, 04:58 PM
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

Bah. Just use a Windows XP laptop and hardwire the thing into the car. Granted, you might have to restart the car every 45 minutes or so, but that's what happens when you get greedy with technology.

Old 06-06-2018, 03:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got an Android phone already so I'm OK that Google knows everything about me. My ex girlfriend checked up on me in many other ways anyway!

I'm also happy to stick a tablet to the dash (this is for an XF but no one has attempted that on those forums). I just need to work out the best way of doing so. I stuck my phone over the screen last night by simply putting in in the recess on a sticky mat, which was great, apart from fact that the phone was too small in terms of screen visibility and fit.

Old 06-06-2018, 11:32 AM
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

I've seen tablet/phone holders that have brackets that either slide under the passenger seat, or bolt on somewhere on the passenger side. They typically have an articulated arm so that you can position your screen in an orientation that works best.

Amazon has one that works with various iPads, Samsung Galaxy tablets, etc.
https://www.amazon.com/Arkon-Tablet-Holder-Samsung-Galaxy/dp/B00585CLSQ https://www.amazon.com/Arkon-Tablet-Holder-Samsung-Galaxy/dp/B00585CLSQ

Old 06-06-2018, 12:00 PM
Veteran Member

Well don't stop there

Old 06-06-2018, 03:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
I cant imagine what it would be without a 7" Garmin.
When driving through remote areas where there is no cellphone coverage and you are about to pass a cop desperate for revenue, and you forgot what the speed limit sign said 30 miles ago- the garmin tells you what the speed limit is.

Or if you are in Manhattan and the buildings jam 4G reception or in Seattle and you are rushing to catch a plane, where reception is blotchy and you realize too late you are in the wrong lane.

The garmin is the size of a phone and like your phone requires no external power. And it fits perfectly in the cigar ashtray, so no additional mounts are required. And it has voice search.
And you can now have a wireless backup camera. https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/501486

Last edited by Queen and Country; 06-06-2018 at 03:28 PM. Reason: p.s.
Old 06-06-2018, 05:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 545 Likes on 364 Posts

+1 on that. I used a Garmin as an alternative on my 07 Xk vert that gave me nav as well as BU cam.....worked really great!

Queen and Country (06-06-2018)

Quick Reply: Mounting tablet to dash.