Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

MP3 files in the CD player?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 07:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,160 Likes on 3,090 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick'sJag
I've been copying, and burning both MP3 and Audio Files, to a CDR since 2001. I've found that the only titles, that can be copied, are those that were on the original CD. I have the option of adding titles manualy, on my MAC, but it is time consuming and may not work. If you load an original CD that has titles there is no problem with them being displayed on the system's player. If song titles are really that important to you, then use an original CD, and forget making copies.
No idea why that happened to you, other than maybe "apple" and its **** ways. All my windows stuff works perfectly well, everywhere.

The following users liked this post:
Sean W (12-11-2017)
Old 12-10-2017, 09:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,168 Likes on 2,336 Posts

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
No idea why that happened to you, other than maybe "apple" and its **** ways. All my windows stuff works perfectly well, everywhere.
Who hurt you Cee Jay?

OK seriously, my iTunes lives on my mac and home sharing doesn't play well, even when all the laptops have the same version so I guess I'll have to pull them off my server and do it on a F'N PC.

Old 12-11-2017, 12:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean W
So are you seeing this on your Jaguar? cd\playlist folder\band1\song.mp3?
I created 6 music CD's when I got my '07 XKR 5 years ago and I am pretty sure that I was able to see the actual tracks. I know it has different firmware but this is what I see on my '10.

I used to find it boringly slow to actually read the CD and display the folders when I switched to a new one and think that the '10 is actually quicker at doing that. I tend to listen to radio or Spotify now though so very rarely use the CD's.

Attached Thumbnails MP3 files in the CD player?-img_0945.jpg   MP3 files in the CD player?-img_0946.jpg   MP3 files in the CD player?-img_0947.jpg  

Last edited by u102768; 12-11-2017 at 12:29 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Sean W (12-11-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 09:17 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by u102768
I used to find it boringly slow to actually read the CD and display the folders when I switched to a new one and think that the '10 is actually quicker at doing that. I tend to listen to radio or Spotify now though so very rarely use the CD's.
No Dark Side of the Moon?

Thanks for the info u102768. My store bought CD's display the tunes on the touch screen. I don't use the CD player now. I use my iPod. I am however upgrading my sound system to premium from base so I added the 6 player CD (or will be shortly) and found this thread interesting. I have the ACM USB hub as well.

I did see somewhere yesterday, maybe the service manual, that the CD's are windows supported so I need to try it on a pc. At this point it's more determination than anything else. Seeing your display is helpful. That's where I'm looking for.

If I use the CD player, I would likely only be for playlists and I want to be able to select from the screen as you can.

That said, I'm also modifying my Android interface. These boxes don't hold much data but they also have usb ports with 5:1 pass through. So when I update my system setup, in theory, I should be able to come out of the Android box, into the AV ports which then should go to the amp. The amp's software should interpret the channels if I'm understanding it correctly.

This is why I really want the info on the CD player. Ultimately I want to see what is the fastest. From my own experience on the single CD player, the CD player will not win out but may be an option when 500 plus songs are loaded to a thumb drive, no? Just burn a few playlists on CD.

I'm working on making the android box touch screen responsive. Failing that, voice responsive. So this is my winter gig. Having the music display on the Android will be much larger and allow me to keep my eyes on the road.

Old 12-11-2017, 11:15 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cee Jay
Originally Posted by Sean W
Who hurt you Cee Jay?

OK seriously, my iTunes lives on my mac and home sharing doesn't play well, even when all the laptops have the same version so I guess I'll have to pull them off my server and do it on a F'N PC.
????
Nobody hurt me, not even apple. I'm doing GREAT. It would seem apple DID hurt you since you need a PC to do stuff that anyone SHOULD be able to do.
Absolutely no bad feelings towards YOU of course, but you HAVE to admit that apple does some crazy shi-uff to maintain control of "their" hardware/software.

Old 12-11-2017, 04:05 PM
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
Cool

I'm not going to argue which is Better Apple or Microsoft. Or for that matter, Nikon or Cannon, we could go on for ever.
That would be like discussing which of us believes in "The True God"
Pffffffff.

The following 2 users liked this post by Rick'sJag:
Cee Jay (12-11-2017), Sean W (12-11-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 04:44 PM
Veteran Member

Cronus!

Old 12-11-2017, 05:10 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Rick'sJag
I'm not going to argue which is Better Apple or Microsoft. Or for that matter, Nikon or Cannon, we could go on for ever.
That would be like discussing which of us believes in "The True God"
Pffffffff.
Good. It was just a joke at Cee Jay's expense based on his frequent jokes about iPhones, but apparently not a very good joke.

Old 12-11-2017, 05:23 PM
Veteran Member

What's wrong with Cronus? He's cool!
OK, now more about .mp3s and such...............

Old 12-18-2017, 12:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2014 XJ and have tried burning .mp3 to cds but they will not play - says disc error.

I can add originals to the storage area but nothing else. Any ideas?

Old 12-18-2017, 01:57 PM
Veteran Member

Can you play those files from your computer? Maybe the disk burned bad.
What is the bit rate of the files you burned? Maybe too high or too low?
How about your file names, sometimes players don't like certain characters in the filename.
Are you sure it's a CD and not a DVD? I have a lot of each laying around and sometimes confuse them.
AND, can you play MP3s through the USB port from a stick? I don't know a lot (anything) about XJs, so forgive my lack of knowledge.

Old 12-18-2017, 04:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Cee Jay, thanks for the reply. I've downloaded and used 3x of software Ashampoo Burning Studio 19, Windows media player and Nero. I have 8 discs at the side of me now that do not work. I tried burning as MP3 and as just Data files. I have used MP3 and video. I am using Maxell CD-R that are brand new and bought just to do this particular job.

The music varies from Cee Lo Green, Earth wind and Fire, some heavy rock. None of the files have any characters that I would expect to cause conflict.

Original discs work fine. I used a memory stick and found that a particular file did work but MP3s on the stick did not. Also I have tried putting the same file on a CD-R but it will not play. I'm running out of options TBH.

Old 12-18-2017, 05:22 PM
Veteran Member

Due to my lack of knowledge on the XJ, I'd say you should post on that forum asking this question. Maybe the thing just isn't capable.
You could always cheap-out and use your mp3s and make Audio CDs. Only about 15 songs will fit instead of 200+, but at least it's something.

Old 12-18-2017, 10:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

As long as you are trying to play it directly off the CD, the owners manual for the 2014 XJ claims that it should work:

"The unit will play Compact Disc Digital Audio (CDDA) discs, MP3, WMA, WAV and AAC files.

The player will accommodate one CD or DVD disc at a time but up to 10 CDs can be uploaded onto the virtual CD store.

Only CDDA discs can be loaded onto the virtual CD store."