XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

My New 11' XKR - Your Input Please!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 05:28 PM
Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts
Default My New 11' XKR - Your Input Please!

So I'm in the final stages of closing out a deal on a Black 11' XKR. I have two deals ready to go and all I have to do is come take delivery. So now I need to get some feedback on which one to get...

Car #1
2011 XKR
Black/Tan, 1k miles, red calipers (not sure if all have this), never titled so I'll be 1st owner. Was a factory car so a Jag employee drove
$102,400 sticker

Car #2
2011 XKR Black Pack
Stratus Black/Black with red stitching, 7k miles
I will be 2nd owner
$103,700 sticker
My deal is $2k higher than the other car

So I think I prefer the dark interior with red stitching since it's more aggressive in keeping with the "R" nature. I go back and forth on the blacked out bits. Looks aggressive but also looses some of the upscale clean Aston-ish look. Same for the black wheels. Perhaps the stock silver ones look better?

The standard black one looks incredible in that deep black. The Stratus black is a dark charcoal. Unique but do you think it lacks the drama/punch of a clean black? I think of Ghostrider's and how clean his looks lowered etc. Finally should I really pay $2k more for the Black Pack car when it actually has MORE miles.

I will make a decision in the morning so please give me your $.2

Old 03-29-2012, 05:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,198 Likes on 931 Posts

I really love the dark interior with red stitching. I'd keep looking considering the price you are paying for the right color combo you want.

Old 03-29-2012, 06:28 PM

Have you any idea how rare 10+ coupes are! Let alone 11's. In all the sources Autotrader, Ebay, Cars.com etc. there are like 2 in the entire country right now and I'm working on them! Don't want to settle either. But the Tan is still nice no?

Old 03-29-2012, 06:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,198 Likes on 931 Posts

Yes, tan is very nice too. I am fan of the chrome touches on all Jag's, except for the wheels. The mono-color touches on Jag's never did much for me.

Old 03-29-2012, 06:41 PM
Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

I would go for car#2. I like the stratus black better especially if it's going to be a daily driver (easier to maintain). I like the black interior with red stitching and the black pack is a nice addition-gives it a sportier look. In addition, 7k mi is still very low mileage. Good luck- both sound like nice cars!

Old 03-29-2012, 06:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Being the original owner is a big one, and when the next guy buys it years from now he'll like being just the second owner...not the third. Lower miles is good, and with the unregistered one the warranty probably does not start until you buy it, and the used one started when? Lower price is good also.

But if you prefer the second one then at least try to negotiate a better price on it as the other deal really is a much better deal...new vs used. Appearance is very personal, but I think the black pack trades away a lot of the classy look for the more sporty look. I've never considered the XKR as having an aggressive personality, I don't see that anywhere on the car, so seeing one made to look that way seems off to me...but for sure there will be others that think the opposite. I suspect age probably plays a part in that. And lasty, I really like silver wheels...even if I have to clean them more often.

And be sure to buy the car that you think is the most beautiful thing ever. If it isn't one of those two then keep looking because the perfect car will turn up...guaranteed! Hope that helps...and good luck.

Bruce

Last edited by Bruce H.; 03-29-2012 at 06:45 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:07 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I looked for months for a black 11 coupe, not a lot out there. Initially I wanted a tan interior then I decided I liked black a little better but would have been happy with either. Mine to was a factory car so it was never registered and I'm the first owner. The good thing about that is you get to go to the R academy.
You will love whichever one you choose!

Old 03-29-2012, 08:09 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Evoking
Have you any idea how rare 10+ coupes are! Let alone 11's. In all the sources Autotrader, Ebay, Cars.com etc. there are like 2 in the entire country right now and I'm working on them! Don't want to settle either. But the Tan is still nice no?
There is a new black on black 2012 XKR coupe at the dealer in Buffalo, NY. (West Herr Jaguar) I think the exterior color is called Ultimate Black Metallic. It has ivory stiching, a canvas headliner, and aluminum veneer. I don't remember the size of the wheels. I drove it last week. It's a bad-*** car for sure.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:26 PM
Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts

So I'm in the final stages of closing out a deal on a Black 11' XKR. I have two deals ready to go and all I have to do is come take delivery. So now I need to get some feedback on which one to get...

Car #1
2011 XKR
Black/Tan, 1k miles, red calipers (not sure if all have this), never titled so I'll be 1st owner. Was a factory car so a Jag employee drove
$102,400 sticker

Car #2
2011 XKR Black Pack
Stratus Black/Black with red stitching, 7k miles
I will be 2nd owner
$103,700 sticker
My deal is $2k higher than the other car

So I think I prefer the dark interior with red stitching since it's more aggressive in keeping with the "R" nature. I go back and forth on the blacked out bits. Looks aggressive but also looses some of the upscale clean Aston-ish look. Same for the black wheels. Perhaps the stock silver ones look better?

The standard black one looks incredible in that deep black. The Stratus black is a dark charcoal. Unique but do you think it lacks the drama/punch of a clean black? I think of Ghostrider's and how clean his looks lowered etc. Finally should I really pay $2k more for the Black Pack car when it actually has MORE miles.

I will make a decision in the morning so please give me your $.2

Evoking,

Car #1 sounds like the better choice.

1. You get to attend the "R" academy.
2. Warranty start date
3. Comes in handy to have light colored interior in the TX heat.
Parked the M5 (Blue/Black) on Congress St during SXSW 2012 & its was boiling in there during the return drive.
4. Its slightly less expensive, which i wouldn't imagine is a major concern when spending over 100K on a car. but hey, a dollar saved is a dollar made.

yea I guess my opinion could be somewhat basis considering my Xk is black/tan.haha but personaly i believe the black/tan look keeps true to the jaguar nature. classiness by all appearances, with hidden aggressiveness when needed. a gentleman's sports car.

Just my .02

good luck on the choice & post some pics please.

Last edited by dag82; 03-30-2012 at 12:52 AM.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:00 PM
Received 42 Likes on 14 Posts

If I had to choose I would select #1. No question.

Personally I like the black interior better than the tan, but in this case I would take the tan. But if it is going to make you unhappy (even a little bit) every time you get in it, then wait. Another one will come along.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:25 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd go for car number one because I don't like the black pack. It takes away from the car rather than add to it. Just my .02.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

I've had black, grey and tan leather in previous vehicles. The tan was at a time I admittedly had a young child getting in and out of the vehicle. I hated trying to keep the leather clean. Every little spot or scuff would stand out to my eye, evoking a "dang it! Did you do that?" reaction from me.
I always try to keep my interiors clean and black at least let me relax an not be so worrisome.
I also have light sensitive eyes, so dark interiors are now my norm....

Vince

Old 03-30-2012, 12:59 AM

Thanks for all the feedback! I had no idea about the R Academy! Nor the warranty starting from the date of my purchase... Is that confirmed? Also, what is the R academy? I'll have to look it up.

Regarding the Black Pack I too have had my reservations about trying to make a gentleman's car a blacked out tuner-ish beast like a Z06 or something. I definitely don't like the stock blacked out wheels but some aftermarket ones might be nice. But considering I typically have more focused sports cars (although I had an SL500 - the boxy 95' version at 25yrs old no less ;-) I was thinking I might want the more aggressive look.

But the more I look at the Black vs the Stratus Black the more the deep black looks a bit better. Even if purely from a drama/impact perspective. Then I figure I can always lower and add wheels etc to make the standard black car more aggressive. Regarding the interior perhaps I'll like the caramel interior a bit better after seeing in person. I don't dislike light interiors. In fact on Bentleys and Audi A8 I love every other color interior than Black! Especially colors like Amaretto. Seems like the light color interiors looks more sumptuous. But from the pics the Caramel doesn't seem to have that effect but it could just be the photos...

Old 03-30-2012, 02:49 AM

Thanks for all the feedback! I had no idea about the R Academy! Nor the warranty starting from the date of my purchase... Is that confirmed? Also, what is the R academy? I'll have to look it up.
its My understanding the "R" Academy is complimentary privilege experienced by 1st time purchaser/owner of a New Jaguar XK "R" model from the dealership.
& Your JAGUAR factory warranty start date is the day you take delivery of your new vehicle.

here's a lil info/link on the Jag R Performance Academy...
The Jaguar R Performance Academy is a one-day driving school designed to train owners of Jaguar's "R" vehicles how to get the most from their powerful 510 horse powered cars.

Jaguar R Academy

good luck!

Last edited by dag82; 03-30-2012 at 03:11 AM.
Old 03-30-2012, 03:10 AM

its My understanding the "R" Academy is complimentary privilege experienced by 1st time purchaser/owner of a New Jaguar XK "R" model from the dealership.
& Your JAGUAR factory warranty start date is the day you take delivery of your new vehicle.

here's a lil info/link on the Jag R Performance Academy...
The Jaguar R Performance Academy is a one-day driving school designed to train owners of Jaguar's "R" vehicles how to get the most from their powerful 510 horse powered cars.

Jaguar R Academy

good luck!

Old 03-30-2012, 03:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take a drive in both, the tan interior reflects on the windscreen and effects the view considerably. I can't speak for the black interior but would guess that it is a far better view.

Regards

Old 03-30-2012, 03:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

Car # 2 , I like black interiors

Old 03-30-2012, 06:56 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I prefer black interiors so #2 jumps ahead for me.
#1 being new brings it even.
#1 costing less puts it ahead.
With either car I'd change the wheels.
#2 is already lowered so that puts things even again.
#1 has gloss/metallic paint, which I heavily prefer so now 1 is back in the lead.

Race result: photo finish with #1 by a nose.

Now if I could negotiate a price drop for #2, that changes the finish.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:54 AM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Regarding the interior perhaps I'll like the caramel interior a bit better after seeing in person. I don't dislike light interiors. In fact on Bentleys and Audi A8 I love every other color interior than Black! Especially colors like Amaretto. Seems like the light color interiors looks more sumptuous. But from the pics the Caramel doesn't seem to have that effect but it could just be the photos...

You really need to see it in person and not rely on pictures. Pictures can lie a thousand words! :-)

I had always assumed that I was going to get the Caramel interior UNTIL I saw it in person. It was not what I was expecting at all, although now I realize why they call it Caramel, and not Tan. I settled on the Ivory/Charcoal combo.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:24 AM

Well that's not encouraging to hear at all about the Caramel interior! I was hoping the pale caramel would appeal in person like the pale tan's on Ferarri's. You still notice and pick up the stitching etc.

The interior does still feel every bit as high quality in the caramel doesn't it? Or does it loose some and feel more - dare I say... cheap?

The following users liked this post:
RJC (03-30-2012)

Quick Reply: My New 11' XKR - Your Input Please!