XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

my new XKR - and why!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 09:02 PM
Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Default my new XKR - and why!

I'm looking forward to picking up my new XKR on Friday. I'll post some pics in this thread then and also a couple of weeks later once I get the front end "de-blinged" - I'm having all the chrome (other than the Jag symbol) resprayed in black to look more like the XKR75 or Black Pack.

Seeing as this is my first Jag I really don't have much to contribute to this forum other than perhaps the decision making process over the last couple of years and how i arrived at the XKR. Perhaps it may be of help to someone out there.

Over the past couple of years I've spent plenty of time scouring the net for reviews of the style of car I like (sporty, stylish GT) and then testing them when I had a chance. It pretty much came down to a match between the Aston Martin DBS and the Maserati Granturismo S . I don't consider cars like the M6 and SL AMG competition for these cars - they might get close in performance but not much else. If you just want a fast car , then hey - GTR.

Maserati: It didn't take long for me to rule out the Maserati. Not only did I hear and read of numerous horror stories with Granturismo lemons and how the local dealer dealt with it, but there were just too many compromises to be had. To make matters worse there's only one dealer in our state which is almost double the size of England.

When I spend in the $300k-$500k+ range I don't expect to get in and immediately notice all the areas where costs have been cut - everything should look bespoke. Of course it's gorgeous from most angles and a decent performer but in the end the following counted against it:

- the reliability issues above. I understand that some are prepared to live with the "charm" of brand new Italian exotics that spend half their life in for service/repair but I'm not one of those people. I spend 80+ hours a week running my own business and the little bit of time I have for driving should be for just that. Everything I've seen tends to indicate that Maseratis are not particularly well put together.

- the very low rent looking centre dash/controls/gps straight from Peugeot/Citroen and boring dash/steering wheel (see thumbs)

- the seats ........the weirdest design I've seen and only comfortable for certain builds due to the "lump"/bolstering across the shoulders - also quite hard and no good on my bad back (see thumbs)

- not enough travel on the seat - couldn't get back far enough to get comfortable (i'm only a touch over 6 foot).
- a very narrow foot well with a disproportionately large brake pedal which is also too close to the gas pedal.
- the low rent job they've done of integrating the side air bags into the driver/passenger doors - looks very ordinary (see thumbs)

- the tail lights right off a Mondeo

In the end all I could see to recommend the Maserati were its external looks , the more usable back seats and the exhaust sound which is quite spectacular. It also feels its weight. Not enough to get a win over the DBS.

Aston: The DBS is a better all round car than the Maser but for six figures more it should be. The DB9 doesn't get a look in because it's too slow and the styling is getting a bit old to these eyes. They keep giving it updates and the only way they seem to be able to keep it current is to make it look more and more like the DBS with each update (now has similar side skirts, the DBS stereo, clear tail lamps etc...) , which leaves it a bit in the middle of nowhere until a more complete styling change occurs.

From what I can gather the DBS is significantly more reliable than the Granturismo , so a tick there.

I found the DBS an exciting drive but it was a bit messy in the handling department and if you push it a bit there's a lot of work needed to keep it on track. There seemed to be a bit of shudder at speeds greater than 100kmh which was rather concerning. I've since found out this is a known issue with the car. Both the DBS and XKR have adaptive dynamics/suspension but it seems better sorted in the XKR. Of course the sound is immense.

However once again , despite the sense of occassion in jumping into an Aston (and the lovely speedo/tacho which is a work of art) , I found my eye drawn to all the short cuts in the interior. I find myself thinking why bother with all the gorgeous leather etc.........in a half million dollar + car (in Australia) when it's set off by the diabolical pop up , out of date Volvo sat nav. The dash looks good but is extremely fiddly and an ergonomic disaster. It seems there's still Ford parts bin stuff being used as some of the stalks/switches feel cheapo.

I had to do a lot of work (raising the front of the seat) to get my knees far enough away from the pedals , so yet another compromised driving position.

The Emotion Control Unit key is a nice touch but the name is a real "****" for want of a better description.

I am being picky and there are far less issues than the Maser so overall the DBS was the obvious choice in terms of performance and overall finish.

The Jag:

It was just a few months ago I was having a chat with a mate about the DBS and he said "have you tried the new XKR?". I said no - it's not even a big step up from my CLK500 for God's sake. I then found out about the new V8 in it which is putting out 510hp and 625nM of torque from only 2500 rpm ...........so it was now a fair starting point for a comparison. Clearly better than anything Maserati does. The DBS has the same power and less torque , also peaking much higher. The DBS is however lighter due to some carbon fibre panels. Both cars share a very similar aluminium chassis.

To drive, the Aston is possibly a little quicker off the mark (due to its carbon fibre components knocking off some weight) , although not a huge difference. Car and Driver say they got the XKR to 60mph in 4 secs which is a match for the DBS so perhaps there's not much difference - it also indicates that the horsepower and 0-60mph times quoted by Jaguar are rather conservative. . The Jaguar is noticeably more powerful from a running start and would be quicker than the DBS from 60-100kmh due to much more low down torque/wider power band. The Jag felt a better all round steer and beats the DBS for technical merit too with things like its electronic/active diff which provides better traction and less interference from engine cuts/braking etc....like many other TC systems. The ZF gearbox is the best setup of any kind that I've experienced with faster, smoother changes than the DBS or Granturismo and nicely rev matched downshifts. The suspension is firm without being harsh and the steering , whilst lighter than the DBS , has decent feel. This is one area that will grate on some people (the light steering) - to me it just means that the XKR is ever so slightly leaning towards the GT side of its dual personality , as against its sports car credentials.

Not that it bothers me but I understand from talking to others who've driven both (and Jeremy Clarkson LOL) that the XKR is the better drifter and easier to control.

The interior of the Jag to my eyes is better overall than the DBS - having said that the DBS is a touch better in terms of creating a sense of occasion. The leather is lovely , even if the Aston's may be a little more expensive. The clincher is not only that it feels just as luxurious , but everything looks purpose built for the Jag - it just looks more the complete package rather than being fiddly and seeing compromises made. It's also far more ergonomically livable , although the touch screen interface has been widely criticised. I think Jag have sacrificed some convenience in the name of keeping the fiddly buttons to a minimum , which I can live with. As an audiophile I also find the Bowers and Wilkins stereo the equivalent of anything I've heard in a car , including the Harmon Kardon. The only thing that pissed me off was the speedo which is marked 50,70,90 etc.... where our speed limits are more often 60,80,100 km/h. The steering wheel in the Jag is much nicer than either the DBS or Granturismo and the seats (whilst not as sporty as the DBS) are very comfortable and hugely adjustable (16 way). Unlike the others I had no trouble whatsoever getting a comfortable driving position.

The Jag also comes with far more standard features and for all intents and purposes there is no option list other than adaptive cruise at $5000 (which my car has - can't see me using it though). Optioning up a DBS Volante to a similar standard (Aston don't offer some of the Jag's features) would push it well into the $600's on the road compared to the Jag at a touch under $300k.

While fuel economy is never a top priority at this end of the market the Jag does a pretty amazing job at combined 12.3L/100kms compared to the Aston's 16.4L/100km

My understanding is that the new range of Jags are rating well in the reliability data (JD Power etc.....) and there's a better network of dealers and mechanics around for the Jags. I'd expect the Aston to have more quality issues over time (one of the joys of lower volume cars)

The Final Decision:

On any objective basis I feel the XKR is the better car, even before you consider value for money. The decision to purchase the Aston and spend another $200-$300k would come down to subjective matters like looks and badge , whether you prefer a V8 or V12 (I find both equally awesome) and whether you loathe forced induction engines ( the XKR has no whine btw). The DBS and XKR both have the active exhaust where > 2500 rpm you get a symphony of destruction with all the pops and crackles.

Despite its recent success , particularly with the XF and XJ, Jaguar still has a huge amount of work to do to get rid of the "old man's car" image and improve its reputation for reliability - those buying now probably get the benefit of that to a small extent. I know first hand - every single person I told I was considering a Jag called me an old geezer LOL. The new range of cars and the amazing C-X75 concept are slowly restoring Jaguar's street cred.

My wife wanted me to trade up to a CLK63 AMG convertible which to my eyes DOES look like an old man's car

I find both the Jag and DBS spectacular from the rear and side but less so from the front , with the edge to the DBS -. Depending on the day I really waver between which looks the best overall. I think Jaguar have slightly ruined the front end with chrome blingy vents and intakes which I am going to get resprayed to match the Ultimate Black colour of the car...........it looks a lot better then.

In the end I feel the Jag is a better drive and unless you wish to pay mucho extra for the badge and James Bond factor , I can't see the point. If you do see the point then I totally get that too. I love the DBS but feel the XKR just pips it overall and that's even before you consider price. From my point of view the XKR is not only the best value GT in the world right now , it's the best period.

Aston will always be more exclusive due to the lower volume production , although having said that I've seen more Vantages and Db9's in Melbourne than XKRs so there's no great difference in rarity in these parts. Most people who see the XKR think it's an Aston anyway , which isn't surprising given the involvement of Ian Callum in both (the DB7 was a Jag derivative)

The XKR is spectacular compared to just about any other car but parked next to the DBS it possibly fades into the background a touch. Taking everything into account though (and how often I'll park next to a DBS - never) , it's clear to me what the best all round package is.

Cheers,

Brent

photos of my new cat to follow.

Attached Thumbnails my new XKR -  and why!-maserati_granturismo_s_-dash.jpg   my new XKR -  and why!-maserati_granturismo_s_side-air-bag.jpg   my new XKR -  and why!-maserati_granturismo_s_seats.jpg  

Last edited by bl5150; 01-02-2011 at 09:32 PM.
The following 8 users liked this post by bl5150:
axr6 (10-15-2011), JimC64 (08-03-2012), KDW4Him (01-19-2011), POC62 (01-21-2013), RKD8000 (11-24-2012), Skid Mark (01-26-2011), stell4r (01-15-2011), yaosers (08-26-2021) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-02-2011, 09:36 PM

In the name of a second opinion from someone who knows these cars much better than I do I thought I'd quote a comment I stumbled on during my research.

Putting the looks and interior quality aside for the moment, IMO the XKR (5.0L S/C) is the best GT car available right now.

Performance wise, the XKR matches and surpassed the DBS, the Auto box in the XKR has a smoother faster change, and when in Dynamic mode the speed of the changes in manual operation are as good as any DSG box I have tried, that includes our F458!

The ride is extremely well composed, never harsh even on poorly surfaced roads and the car flows in a very natural manner. Handling wise, the car is a GT, it has a very fluid steering set up which whilst light, has a positive turn in, good straight line feel and is linear from lock to lock. It is very controllable and traction is extremely strong. When in the right conditions, the car can be drifted in a very controlled progressive manner and the car always leaves you feeling in control.

The XKR engine is incredible, great power, a good rev range and endless amounts of torque. Lovely noise which is no longer masked by the Supercharger.

The DBS has a heavy steering feel, quite meaty but a little vague and rubbery in the straight ahead. It is a little more tail happy but very controllable and the ride a little less comfortable overall than the XKR. Not quite as well sorted as the Jag as an all rounder but perhaps a little more "exciting" at times. Performance wise, the Jag is probably a little quicker particularly from 50 - 120. On most roads most of the time you would not notice too much difference. The DBS has to be worked a little harder, the XKR always seems to be ready to go.

Looks are always a tricky subject because everyone has a different perspective however the DBS is more coherent and looks as "one" whereas the XKR is clearly built to a price therefore the stuck on spoiler looks a little cheap. When stood in isolation the XKR is undoubtedly a stunning car, when parked next to a DBS (or DB9 and Vantage) however its beauty fades a little.

Interior wise, the XKR in Black with white contrast stitching and Aluminium trim is a lovely place to sit. The Sat Nav whilst being a bit fiddly to use on the move (small touchscreen buttons) is very accurate and all of the other car functions easy to use. Quality of build is good and materials are generally classy and modern.

The DBS has a bespoke look to it. This is both good and bad. Some of the switches look 20 years out of date - in fact some of them do date back over 20 years. The volvo sourced sat nav is appalling, and the mirror switches and stalks are cheap feeling for a bespoke car. The Leather used on seats, dash and door trims however is lovely, much higher grade than the Jag. The centre section is a mess ergonomically however it looks great and looks to be of a very high quality. The instruments also look great but are not especially easy on the eye to use.

Enough of my waffle though, which would I choose? Logically it has to be the XKR - it does everything the DBS does and often does it better. It is very well made, has a great feel to it and is a car that every time you jump into it makes you feel great and that you have made the right choice - until you see a DBS!

The author of that little comment is Paul Brown who runs the ecurie25 supercar club in Britain and who has a DBS, XKR and GranturismoS in his stable of cars. I found it quite interesting that someone in that position and with that experience came down in favour of the XKR.

The following 3 users liked this post by bl5150:
Skid Mark (01-26-2011), stell4r (01-15-2011), yaosers (08-26-2021)
Old 01-04-2011, 04:52 PM
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Very interesting read! Thanks for sharing it and congratulations on the new Jaguar!

Old 01-04-2011, 06:48 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thank you for the interesting read.
I believe you will rapidly find that you made a great decision.

Personally, I think the chrome looks good when it contrasts with the Pearl Grey of my car. I'm more of a fan of some contrast than the all black look though.

Last edited by doctock993; 01-04-2011 at 07:00 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:39 AM

Thanks guys - I was starting to get a complex after putting all the work into that post and not getting one reply til now

@doctock993 : the only colours where I think the chrome "gills" look okay are on silver and grey , as it's not so "in your face" as it is on the blacks.

I expect mine to look something like this at the front

Attached Thumbnails my new XKR -  and why!-jag-wheels.jpg  
Old 01-05-2011, 09:17 AM
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bl5150
Thanks guys - I was starting to get a complex after putting all the work into that post and not getting one reply til now

@doctock993 : the only colours where I think the chrome "gills" look okay are on silver and grey , as it's not so "in your face" as it is on the blacks.

I expect mine to look something like this at the front
very nice mi amigo.

you the lack of responsiveness is kinda what bugs me about this forum, but i attribute that to amount of jaguar owners more-so than the enthusiasm of jaguar owners

Old 01-05-2011, 09:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

I think the first gen forum is a bit more active than the second gen forum...probably because it seems like more first gen owners work on their cars. We actually have a bit of a discussion on the Masser going on over there touching briefly on the Aston (albiet DB7 rather than DBS)

The new Supercharged 5.0 XKR is quite a beast, especially considering its price advantage compared to its rivals. I'm amazed it can easily be compared to a DBS when it wasn't long ago it was having to fight off the V8 Vantage.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:46 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Surely the XK/R is comparable to a DB9 rather than a DBS.
The DBS is almost twice the price of the Jag.

Old 01-05-2011, 02:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow congrats on the car! The blacked out grill and side vents looks good. I agree with you on the maserati, it looks good and sounds good, but its performance and reliability leave something to be desired.

Old 01-05-2011, 03:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bl5...Thanks for the write up.

The Maserati GT and Vantage are on my new car "Stretch" list, while the XKR, Carrera S, and BMW 650 are on my "Likely" list. For me, the Maserati is the most aesthetically appealing in both groups. However, the apparent day to day "sensitivity" of the GT unfortunately rules it out as a daily driver...and a second car is likely out of the question.

The XKR is no slouch in the looks department, and is currently the realistic "favorite" for me, although it appears that it too is prone to some minor ****les and issues.

How would you compare the exhaust note of the Maserati to the XKR?

Old 01-05-2011, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Reefbreak

How would you compare the exhaust note of the Maserati to the XKR?
I would say at high rpms they are comparable but cruising around in Sport mode the Maser is a lot more bombastic and "look at me" which I'm not sure I want anyway.

When I looked at the DBS they mentioned that they can fit a switch so that you can choose to keep the exhaust valves open across the whole rev range if you wish. I will ask the Jag dealer about that when I pick it up tomorrow - might be an option worth having at least. You may find that then the XKR and GTS are closer in terms of sound at low revs.

Also- I understand that the Maserati GTS AUTO isn't tuned quite so loud , so for the really loud version you need to go for the original version with the F1 (automated manual) transmission , the very clunky auto mode that goes with it (not a pinch on the ZF in the XKR) and budget for regular clutch replacement...............no thanks!

Cheers,

Brent

PS When you say Maserati GT I assumed you meant the GT-S. The original GT with the 4.2L engine has no grunt and seriously feels its weight when pushed. Not comparable to a XKR.

Last edited by bl5150; 01-05-2011 at 03:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Reefbreak (01-05-2011)
Old 01-05-2011, 04:04 PM

I would say at high rpms they are comparable but cruising around in Sport mode the Maser is a lot more bombastic and "look at me" which I'm not sure I want anyway.
It would be nice, while cruising, to have the "look at me" sound as an option. (Can't help it...I grew up around American Muscle cars in the 70's). I like what Porsche does with their PSE (Porsche Sports Exhaust) on the Carrera S...which can be turned on and off. I'll have to see if something similar can be done with the XKR that does not create warranty issues.

I will ask the Jag dealer about that when I pick it up tomorrow - might be an option worth having at least.
Let us know what you find out.

PS When you say Maserati GT I assumed you meant the GT-S. The original GT with the 4.2L engine has no grunt and seriously feels its weight when pushed. Not comparable to a XKR.
Yes...I was more interested in the GT-S with the bigger engine to push around all that weight.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:33 PM

Just re-read your "Likely" and "stretch" lists and it reminded me how much I envy you guys with car prices

If you lived in Australia your "likely"'s wouldn't even make your stretch list I'm guessing. List price down here for an XKR is approaching US $300k . So basically if you can afford a Lamborghini in the US/UK you'd be lucky to "stretch" to a Lotus here.

Old 01-09-2011, 12:56 AM

Some photos posted here guys.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...570#post290570

Cheers.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:06 PM

Brent,

Your XKR has a nice looking okole (as my Hawaiin friends would say).

Regarding the Australian high prices for vehicles...the offsets are the great waves you have, the proximity to Indonesia (even better waves), and fantastic Shiraz. Perhaps the trade-off is not so bad...

David

Old 01-10-2011, 12:22 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Regarding the Australian high prices for vehicles...the offsets are the great waves you have, the proximity to Indonesia (even better waves), and fantastic Shiraz. Perhaps the trade-off is not so bad...
And the culture!

Oh, no, I was thinking of somewhere else. Anywhere else LOL.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  19.3 KB

welcome to the site, good to have you here
I have to say tahts one of THE most awesome intro's I've ever saw and thanks for taking the ( considerable time ) to write it up.

I was lucky enough to be invited by Jaguar to test drive the XKR coupe and Convertible in spped pack AND black pack versions......simply put - An awesome piece of engineering, you lucky bugger

Hope you enjoy the site, I know you will enjoy the car

I've manually upgraded you to full forum access so you can better view the site and all its features.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Right on, to each his own.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:04 PM

Thanks all and of course Graham the resident expert on culture

@ Reefbreak : I did ask at the dealer in regards to the exhaust valve switch and it's not something they've done. Looking at the manual there is a fuse specific to that function like the famous fuse #22 in the Aston DB9 that if removed (ala many DB9 owners) may have the same effect. I'm not game to try until I confirm it has been done successfully with the XKR.

Regards

Brent

Old 01-10-2011, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by doctock993
Thank you for the interesting read.
I believe you will rapidly find that you made a great decision.

Personally, I think the chrome looks good when it contrasts with the Pearl Grey of my car. I'm more of a fan of some contrast than the all black look though.
Now that I've lived with the car for a few days I'm not quite as gung-ho about getting rid of the chrome. I'm about 50/50 on it now. It looks poor on a black car in photos but not quite so "in your face" in the flesh.

Hmm.

Quick Reply: my new XKR - and why!