Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Mysterious curb rash on wheels

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 06:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts
Default Mysterious curb rash on wheels

I have noticed a bunch of curb rash on my wheels that didn't seem to be there when I bought the car 18 months ago. I don't recall hitting a curb while parking more than once or twice, yet there is "curb rash" on all four wheels. They are looking quite tattered!

I have gone over plenty of potholes, however. And the roads here are in **** poor shape, especially in the winter. Can potholes really cause rash like that?

Old 04-26-2014, 07:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

Wouldn't think so. I suspect you may have been getting closer to kerbs than you think! Also, it's possible that there were small nicks which were hard to see but allowed road salt to get under the protective coating and spread surface corrosion.

I've almost given up on mine. London streets are often narrow, and you have to squeeze as close to the kerb as possible when you park - even then, the outside wheels often extend beyond the white line. Also, there are loads of width restrictions to keep trucks out, and they're narrow and often have oblique approaches - I've clipped the kerb a few times trying to manoeuvre through.

Old 04-26-2014, 08:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
I have noticed a bunch of curb rash on my wheels that didn't seem to be there when I bought the car 18 months ago. I don't recall hitting a curb while parking more than once or twice, yet there is "curb rash" on all four wheels. They are looking quite tattered!

I have gone over plenty of potholes, however. And the roads here are in **** poor shape, especially in the winter. Can potholes really cause rash like that?
Post a few photos. Curb Rash just doesn't appear, it is created by the driver. But it is possible that your wheels have some sort of virus. Why drive over potholes? Why not drive around them?

Old 04-26-2014, 09:38 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ngarara
Wouldn't think so. I suspect you may have been getting closer to kerbs than you think! Also, it's possible that there were small nicks which were hard to see but allowed road salt to get under the protective coating and spread surface corrosion.

I've almost given up on mine. London streets are often narrow, and you have to squeeze as close to the kerb as possible when you park - even then, the outside wheels often extend beyond the white line. Also, there are loads of width restrictions to keep trucks out, and they're narrow and often have oblique approaches - I've clipped the kerb a few times trying to manoeuvre through.
I would be inclined to agree, but there is just as much rash on the left wheels and I can't remember ever parallel parking with a curb on the left!

Old 04-26-2014, 09:39 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by richzak
Post a few photos. Curb Rash just doesn't appear, it is created by the driver. But it is possible that your wheels have some sort of virus. Why drive over potholes? Why not drive around them?
I'll try to post some photos. You are spoiled by your nice roads in New Mexico!

Old 04-26-2014, 09:49 PM
Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

You haven't inadvertently let my wife drive your car have you???? It only takes her 100m or so to trash mine!!!

Old 04-26-2014, 09:52 PM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

If you have had new tyres put on recently, then the garage may have been a little rough with your wheels. If the tyres are the same when you bought it, then can only think you must have clipped the kerb without realizing.

Old 04-26-2014, 10:33 PM
Veteran Member

I did just get new tires, but I was noticing the curb rash getting worse even before then (which was actually necessitated by the fact that a pothole did this to my tire):

I would like to think that the damage done to the wheels is done by a curb, but in fact I bet you it's more likely that these things are caused by potholes! What is the difference between scraping a curb at 2-3 mph when parallel parking and inadvertently going over a large pothole at 30 miles an hour?

I mean, look at what this pothole did to this one guy's wheel:

Wheel Repair for Pothole Rash

I have very similar issues on my wheels, except not as severe (maybe 1-2" and not as deep). Unfortunately we had a very bad and extended winter here. It seemed that they were not attempting to patch potholes until the last couple weeks or so. Needless to say, trying to dodge a large pothole on the highway at 70 mph can be a losing proposition!

Attached Thumbnails Mysterious curb rash on wheels-img_20140208_150350_848.jpg  
Old 04-26-2014, 11:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Are you sure that is not just residue left behind from the installation of new tires? I've had the same thing happen. It is not noticeable at first but will appear as dirt accumulates with driving. It will come off with elbow grease.

Old 04-26-2014, 11:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

I have never curbed my car, yet, I have all sorts of small marks and scratches on my wheels, all 4. This is, unquestionably from the careless installation of new tires, as I have specifically noticed new marks immediately after the new installation. I'm not sure why tires can't be installed without marring the rims, but this has happened to me each time I have replaced them.

Old 04-26-2014, 11:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

I can definitely see how potholes would cause that kind of rash. The price to pay for having these low profile tires with sidewalls that are flush with the wheels. I would gladly give up some fashion looks and go back to taller sidewalls that bulge out enough to protect the rims, as well as they would prevent the all too common bent wheel damages while providing superior ride.

Old 04-26-2014, 11:55 PM
Veteran Member

Why BMW center caps on a Jaguar?

Looks like asphalt marks on the wheels caused by the tire and wheel falling into the holes in the pavement.

I am sure that if these deep marks were done by a tire installer, they would have noticed as well as the car owner immediately.

I do not believe these marks come from a tire installation. The depth of the marks on the wheel shows a hard strike against some obstacle, either concrete of asphalt from a hole in the road.

Explain the BMW caps on the wheels. These can't be your wheels off your Jaguar. If not, why post the photos? You need to post photos of your actual damage for anyone to make an assesment of what might have happened.

Last edited by richzak; 04-26-2014 at 11:57 PM.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,414 Posts

That is because it's not his car he posted, actually the first pic is his but not the others. The black marks in that pic look just like the ones I described in the previous post.

Old 04-27-2014, 03:53 AM
Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

That bit on the upper left of the pic looks like tire shine residue believe it or not, try to scrape it with a plastic tool or your nail.

The bigger issue is the tire tit on your sidewall, that's a blow out waiting to happen.

Old 04-27-2014, 04:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

Wow, you must have tank traps rather than potholes!

If you hit the edge of a deep pothole with the rim, it would result in the sort of damage shown on that Beemer. I was thinking of 'normal' potholes. And that tyre of yours needs to be replaced (if you haven't already), because you're risking a blow out.

Old 04-27-2014, 05:38 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have Orona 20inch wheels which cannot be repaired by your local wheel man, they have to be sent away to be recut and polished. It makes you doubly careful!!

Old 04-27-2014, 07:57 AM
Veteran Member

Another strange thing is that I notice the same kind of marks on my wife's Hyundai Sonata (also low profile tires) which she almost never drives (takes public transit to work and I usually drive her around in it). It has the original tires. We have definitely gone over some serious potholes at high speed in that car! Although I know I have curbed it badly 3 or 4 times, but only on the right side!

Does anyone know of any wheel rash insurance? I think this sort of damage is going to happen to the wheels predictably every winter and it would be nice to have some sort of policy that might cover it!

Old 04-27-2014, 07:59 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ngarara
Wow, you must have tank traps rather than potholes!

If you hit the edge of a deep pothole with the rim, it would result in the sort of damage shown on that Beemer. I was thinking of 'normal' potholes. And that tyre of yours needs to be replaced (if you haven't already), because you're risking a blow out.
Many potholes here are 4" deep or more. I saw the mother and father of potholes this winter that was maybe 6 feet long and 6-8" deep!

Old 04-27-2014, 08:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts

... Does anyone know of any wheel rash insurance? I think this sort of damage is going to happen to the wheels predictably every winter and it would be nice to have some sort of policy that might cover it!
Safe-Guard Products (Atlanta, GA) offers several wheel/tire/ding insurance policies. Google them. I think they're sold mainly by new car dealers. When I bought my wife's new 2012 Acura MDX Advance, I bought their 5 year "everything" plan - I think it was around $700 - since I knew how my wife drives. Best insurance I ever bought. So far, they've paid for 2 new Michelins (not prorated for wear) and 3 "potholed" rims refinished. No door dings yet. And there's still over 2 years left.

Edited: Here's the link to their automotive products, which are sold only by authorized dealers and reps: http://www.safe-guardproducts.com/pr...elivery-forms/

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Stuart S; 04-27-2014 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Added Link
The following users liked this post:
amcdonal86 (04-27-2014)
Old 04-27-2014, 08:48 AM
Veteran Member

Another strange thing is that I notice the same kind of marks on my wife's Hyundai Sonata (also low profile tires) which she almost never drives (takes public transit to work and I usually drive her around in it). It has the original tires. We have definitely gone over some serious potholes at high speed in that car! Although I know I have curbed it badly 3 or 4 times, but only on the right side!

Does anyone know of any wheel rash insurance?
If your wife doesn't drive the car, and you admit having curbed the Sonata 3 or 4 times what's the complaint? It is driver error and driver related, so it's a driver responsiblity.

The driver is responsible for how they drive their cars. Perhaps you need to attend a driving school and learn proper parking techniques.

Where are the photos of your car?..... not some BMW that does not reflect the true damage of the wheels on YOUR Jaguar.

Quick Reply: Mysterious curb rash on wheels