XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Navigation system - "destination"/"address" grayed out

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 08:23 PM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Navigation system - "destination"/"address" grayed out

BLUF: When I try to put in a new address in the Navigation, either "destination entry" or "address" is grayed out. However, "Home" is always functional (blue).

Details: 2010 XK, Almost always on its CTEK and no other gremlins (although I lost my programmed radio stations once); drive ~35 miles each way (>70 mph) to Ft Detrick (Whew, it is hot here in Maryland) couple of times a week. My Jag has ~15k miles. Otherwise, the nav screen correctly shows where I am traveling and Margaret (my nav voice) works well (when using "home"). "Home" and "emergency" are always functional.

However, more often than not now, I can't put in a new address because one of the two touch buttons (destination entry or address) are grayed out!

Appreciate any thoughts.

Best,
~Richard

Old 07-28-2015, 10:12 PM
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Vehicle in park or stopped. Cannot enter destination when moving, it will gray out. HOME heading or emergency only. Read owners manual for more information.
I know this the last place to look for help.
Good Reading toilet material.

Old 07-29-2015, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by georgekale
Vehicle in park or stopped. Cannot enter destination when moving, it will gray out. HOME heading or emergency only. Read owners manual for more information.
I know this the last place to look for help.
Good Reading toilet material.
Interesting. Big brother seems in control, but I'm not sure in my case. First, I HAVE been able to put in a new address while driving, as has my wife, as the passenger.
Second, my manual [JJM 18 02 30 101 - OWNER’S HANDBOOK - XK] I got from TOPIx does not mention that the car must not be moving. I just reread the section on Navigation, and could not find a statement that the car must not be moving.
Third, I agree that the manual is good reading (on the METRO, however) as I have read it twice from "cover to cover".

That said, at my next opportunity, I'll try your guidance.

Thanks,
~Richard

Old 07-30-2015, 07:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 359 Likes on 254 Posts

Hi,
While doing my XK-R (08), I can only select "Home" in the destination module. Need to be stopped (park) to add a destination. My Toyota is the same. When on the road, I have my GF add a destination in "WAZE "https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=WASZ+GPS&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8#q=WAZE+GPSWasz"
Works great and alerts to the presence of the local militia too, as well, as cameras.

Old 07-30-2015, 12:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by RedRider48
Hi,
While doing my XK-R (08), I can only select "Home" in the destination module. Need to be stopped (park) to add a destination. My Toyota is the same. When on the road, I have my GF add a destination in "WAZE "https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=WASZ+GPS&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8#q=WAZE+GPSWasz"
Works great and alerts to the presence of the local militia too, as well, as cameras.
My 2012 XKR and my Lexus work the same way. We had this discussion a few years ago on my Lexus board and someone modified their system to allow it to work when driving. On Lex/Toy cars there is a signal from the speedometer that when moving doesn't allow you to input a new address. The put a switch in that line and just switch it off and the system thinks you are stopped. It does lose the GPS for the time it takes you to put in a new address but once you switch it back on everything works as designed.

Old 07-30-2015, 08:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,140 Likes on 3,383 Posts

You risk voiding any remaing warranty on your life and the lives of your passengers and other victims caused by your distracted driving due to disabling the factory system that was designed to protect you from your own stupidity.

How far does your car travel at 40 mph during the time it takes you to take your eyes off the road and key in the new destination?

How hard is it to pull over, stop and key in the destination? Better safe than sorry.

Just my

Stuart

The following users liked this post:
ralphwg (08-01-2015)
Old 07-30-2015, 09:36 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stuart S
You risk voiding any remaing warranty on your life and the lives of your passengers and other victims caused by your distracted driving due to disabling the factory system that was designed to protect you from your own stupidity.

How far does your car travel at 40 mph during the time it takes you to take your eyes off the road and key in the new destination?

How hard is it to pull over, stop and key in the destination? Better safe than sorry.

Just my

Stuart
I wouldn't do it as I have enough dealing with these new paddle things.

Old 07-30-2015, 09:42 PM
Veteran Member

While I agree with Stuart comments, having my passenger "key-in" an address on the fly is a plus and much safer. We do this any number of times using a 6 Plus iPhone.

Old 07-31-2015, 06:55 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RedRider48
While I agree with Stuart comments, having my passenger "key-in" an address on the fly is a plus and much safer. We do this any number of times using a 6 Plus iPhone.
I agree and wouldn't mind having that ability for the passenger but how would you protect it so the driver couldn't do it. Maybe use the seat belt/air bag circuit to identify a passenger in the seat? Anyway maybe a mute discussion . I have also seen posts in both my Lexus and Audi forms where people were looking for a way to play DVD's and Games on the infotainment screens where they can watch/play while driving to work. Maybe a good feature for the driverless car but I'd be concerned if used in an every day driver.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

There's a system out there (not sure what car it's on) that uses some clever polarisation & masking tricks to show different displays to the driver & the passenger - presumably based on the stuff developed for 3D TV. But as we all know, the XK's display is a long way from that level of sophistication...

Old 07-31-2015, 10:13 AM
Veteran Member

I think WAZE has a passenger override button for passenger use. I can easily imagine, having the passenger seat belt buckled and weight detected in the passenger's seat would suffice. Although, this is easily overridden by adding a weight of some value.

Old 08-08-2015, 10:51 AM

Sorry for my delay in updating...

Indeed, as so correctly pointed out, the nav does not allow destination input while moving. I apparently confused nav input with my wife's SRX, which does allow input while moving.

My 2010 XK grays out the nav input as soon as (simultaneously) with the locking of the doors.

Members - Thanks for clarifying this issue as I thought I had a problem.