XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Need advice on 2) 2013 XKR's

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 10:07 AM
Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Need advice on 2) 2013 XKR's

Hello guys,

I am looking to upgrade from my 2007 XK Coupe. Its running incredible and looks new. It has 67k on it and has not given me any issues.

I am looking to trade it in on a 2013 XKR.

Used 2013 Jaguar XK XKR Coupe RWD for sale in Florida
One is a 2013 XKR, with portfolio edition (Silver on the rare blue interior..leather headliner..ect). 17k miles and they are asking $41,000. 1 owner and 1 small accident (I will have it checked out to make sure it wasn't serious. Car looks to be in perfect shape).
I think the 2013 XKR's come with a 5 year warranty. Meaning I would have until August of 2017 in factory coverage.

The other option is a HIGH mileage 2013. Lunar on Black. New style wheels. Not much service history. I even called the selling dealer in California and they were willing to help, but said the records don't show anything. Odd...Oil changes and the 5.0 engine scare me. I know they can have oil starvation issues.

2013 Jaguar XK XKR 73K 1 OWN BOWERS WILKINS NAV CAM PDC KEYLESS AC SEATS 20S Houston, Texas | Drive with Pride
The price is $31,500 and they will give me $18,000 for my car. There are some dings on the hood (Hood will require body work..not going to be able to pop those out). They are eager to move this car as it has been sitting for a while on their lot.

I drive about 5k miles a year...the high mileage car would save me a ton on the purchase price. After two years, the mileage would be a tad over 80k.

I had the 5.0 engine my 2011 XJ and even then..I noticed it was a noisy engine. I traded it in before I knew how important the correct oil was (I bought it used as well..who knows about the oil they put into it...it never failed me however).

What are your thoughts?

I have attached the pic of the high mileage Hood..really odd damage.
Dealer also sent me video of engine running...sounded fine.

I have a deposit on both..and approved on both. Just really trying to justify the higher cost car. Its a great and rare color combo..but I'll lose $8k right off the top when I go to sell it.

The 2012+ XKR has been the car I've always wanted..I plan on keeping it a while..but I do know its a BUYERS market for these cars now..

Attached Thumbnails Need advice on 2) 2013 XKR's-img_5307-2-.jpg  
Old 11-23-2016, 10:47 AM
Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

$18k for your car would seem a bargain for anyone looking to get into a nice coupe!

if the low mileage car had a minor accident and the damage was properly handled, that would be my choice.

that said, there is a forum member here selling a minty 2009 xkr portfolio w/ the option of alcon brake calipers...very, very nice. I think you could buy that car right and it has zero stories and looks to be spectacular!!! I will try to link it.

it may not work if you need to trade your current xk.

Old 11-23-2016, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

I looked at a few cars from OFF-Lease a few years back when I was searching for mine. I had someone look at a car and his feedback was they seemed like a typical used car salesmen. The buy auction cars and flip them with very little history. For the price they are asking there is something wrong in order to be $13K underpriced. I have no knowledge of the second car .Just my opinion.

Old 11-23-2016, 06:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts

The offlease car is only a couple thousand off pace from the market, there is a Jaguar Certified 2013 XKR coupe with 28k miles in Indianapolis for $45k on cars.com right now, some others within a fraction also. I would go for the certified and pay more personally.

https://www.cars.com/for-sale/search...=GN_REFINEMENT

I know some guys in Tampa that have bought from Offlease the last couple of years and were very happy, both were Mercedes/BMW in the mid 40's. They are a high volume house that buys nice cars from auction and doesn't do a whole lot to them. The chances of a couple of blemishes that a normal dealer would touch up is good.

Keep in mind that even Jaguar dealers could have bought a car through auction, just because they are listing the car doesn't mean they received it in trade or maintained the car through it's first owner.

Old 11-23-2016, 07:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

I just took a scan on autotrader.com and there are 209 cars from 2012 to 2015 for sale.

Old 11-24-2016, 02:29 AM
Received 43 Likes on 23 Posts

MY 5 cents: I would only buy from an an official Jaguar dealer and get a 2 years warranty with it...... ( i once bought a Range Rover from a VW dealer and ended up in court with that i****).

Old 11-24-2016, 07:45 AM

Thanks for all the feedback guys!

Offlease does seem to have cars with odd history or scary carfax's...but they do buy a ton of cars and some look to be really solid deals. With the low mileage unit in Orlando (a couple hours away) with full Jaguar Warranty..I will be safer with that car.

I have backed out on the Houston car (shipping alone adds 1k to the cost).

The certified black car in INDY looks to be a great deal. I'm not a huge fan of black cars (FL heat and sprinklers make it hard to keep clean).

Local Jag dealer has a couple of XKR's but they are well over my range.

Old 11-24-2016, 09:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Those prices are both very good. I would not necessarily be scared by the mileage, however, by the time you fix and paint the hood, you'll have spent a considerable amount of time and money on it, and the gap will have shrunk. The lower mileage one, if the accident was indeed a minor fender bender, seems like an excellent choice.

Old 11-24-2016, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 631 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by S-Typer
full Jaguar Warranty..I will be safer with that car.

I have backed out on the Houston car (shipping alone adds 1k to the cost).
Are you certain the 2013 has a 5 year warranty? From what I have read the 2011 had a 5 year warranty but that was the only year I am aware of that had this, my 2012 has a 4 year term.

Yeah, when I have looked at cars that require shipping tje added cost for that and flight to check it out make it less of a deal. Even if you had miles and got it for free it is a time bandit.

Old 11-24-2016, 11:12 AM

Tampamark, Good find on the warranty. I thought for sure the 2013's had the 5 years warranty. It looks like it is indeed a 4 year term.

After looking at the 2013's they have in stock... some say "balance of factory warranty remaining". I checked those in service (sold dates were 12/12)... and it looks like they have a lousy month of warranty left.

This is going to require a much more thorough inspection now for the Orlando car. The XK doesn't scare me in terms of reliability. Mine has had a few annoyances with the duckbill and all... but overall very good.

The low mileage car has the documented oil changes and I can see many years of trouble free engine issues (water pump a major issue on my X351..)

The water pump would be the biggest concern now that I would have to pay out of pocket for that terrible designed pump.

Joe

Old 11-24-2016, 05:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by S-Typer
Tampamark, Good find on the warranty. I thought for sure the 2013's had the 5 years warranty. It looks like it is indeed a 4 year term.

After looking at the 2013's they have in stock... some say "balance of factory warranty remaining". I checked those in service (sold dates were 12/12)... and it looks like they have a lousy month of warranty left.

This is going to require a much more thorough inspection now for the Orlando car. The XK doesn't scare me in terms of reliability. Mine has had a few annoyances with the duckbill and all... but overall very good.

The low mileage car has the documented oil changes and I can see many years of trouble free engine issues (water pump a major issue on my X351..)

The water pump would be the biggest concern now that I would have to pay out of pocket for that terrible designed pump.

Joe
S Typer....The best advice I can give you for this not so small investment is this....TAKE YOUR TIME! There are many many XK/XKRs out there and when the right one comes along you will know it. DON"T SETTLE or even come close to. I know it can be an emotional experience but that's where the possible wrong decisions come into the picture. I would never consider any car with any body damage regardless of how small unless possibly a bumper cover repaint. Our cars are assembled with rivets and body work is not that conventional for the XK. High mileage is another thing to consider as these cars do have their vulnerabilities. Three years ago I waited about 2 months before I found a car way out of state and flew there to pick it up and brought it home. It was a 2010 XK with under 5,000 miles from an owner who could no longer driver because of illness. Cars are out there. Be patient and you will find the right one.. Good luck and enjoy the ride!

Last edited by bocatrip; 11-24-2016 at 05:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ralphwg (11-25-2016)
Old 11-25-2016, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by bocatrip
S Typer....The best advice I can give you for this not so small investment is this....TAKE YOUR TIME! There are many many XK/XKRs out there and when the right one comes along you will know it. DON"T SETTLE or even come close to. I know it can be an emotional experience but that's where the possible wrong decisions come into the picture. I would never consider any car with any body damage regardless of how small unless possibly a bumper cover repaint. Our cars are assembled with rivets and body work is not that conventional for the XK. High mileage is another thing to consider as these cars do have their vulnerabilities. Three years ago I waited about 2 months before I found a car way out of state and flew there to pick it up and brought it home. It was a 2010 XK with under 5,000 miles from an owner who could no longer driver because of illness. Cars are out there. Be patient and you will find the right one.. Good luck and enjoy the ride!
I totally agree with the comments here made by Bocatrip. I recommend also, search for a low mileage XK/XKR. Many of these cars are driven that much by their respective owners. Seek out the garage queen with a clean record of maintenance. They are out there. Don't let the purchase become an "impulse" buy. Seek the quality vehicle.

The following users liked this post:
ralphwg (11-25-2016)
Old 11-25-2016, 01:59 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

what is your budget? there is a XKR for sale in Palm Harbor Silver/Black with low mileage, I can try and find out more details on it

Old 11-26-2016, 10:43 AM

Hello Guys,

I hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving. I appreciate everyone's input on the "right" car recommendation. With the next XKR / XKR-S.. It's going to be a keeper.. And I really want the right car.

My budget is $45k for now.. But I think if I wait a year, I could score a mint car for that or less.

I have sense ordered the ACM (hated to spend nearly $450 to have a iPod hookup lol)...

Also ordered X pipe and quad tips too..

That should hold me over for a while.

Thanks again for the recommendations!

Joe

Old 11-26-2016, 04:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by bocatrip
S Typer....The best advice I can give you for this not so small investment is this....TAKE YOUR TIME! There are many many XK/XKRs out there and when the right one comes along you will know it. DON"T SETTLE or even come close to.
This is good advice. Unless you are bottom feeding on price; take your time. The right one will come around. Out of warranty does not worry me much if the car is an obviously well maintained car. You should have no questions on the car you are buying. Jaguar or another high end brand will get one in on trade for sure.

Old 11-27-2016, 04:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts

Be assured that once you make your final decision your car will be your car for some time. These are not easy machines to resell. Once again, do research and take your time and negotiate. Most owners are worn out from low offers. These cars depreciate as I'm posting you. Negotiation is on the side of the purchaser. Buy a good low mileage well maintained car and do not settle. Good luck my friend.