XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New custom interior for my '08 XK

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 01:07 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default New custom interior for my '08 XK

I am having a complete new custom interior installed in my Jag XK.
I have always wanted a custom ride, but as a kid, couldn't afford it, and as an adult, didn't have the right car to invest additional cash. Since I bought this car as a retirement gift for myself and plan to drive it forever, I decided to swallow hard and do it now, even though the car is 4 years old and has only 15,000 miles on it. The upholstery shop is considered one of the best anywhere, and I have been totally satisfied with their creativity, professionalism and willingness to incorporate my wishes to the extent that it is possible. Great team of management and very talented shop guys.

If you'd like to follow along on the car's progress, follow this link: 08 Jaguar Olson
_

The following users liked this post:
Tiepolo (08-28-2023)
Old 08-30-2013, 02:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

I see the sketch. Are you retaining the OEM leather where it in the sketch it looks the same color?

Old 08-31-2013, 10:45 AM
Default Re: New custom interior for my '08 XK

Thanks for your interest. Yes, I'll be keeping most of the original panels (Caramel), but some leather is being replaced with identical hides in places where it has to be seamed with the Ridgeback hides. Example: new perforated leather on seat inserts. In other areas, the shop made thin fiberglass copies of the panel shapes, covered them, and overlaid them on the original panels. Example: door panels areas shown in brown. Not shown on the concept drawing are brown cut-pile carpets (a Porsche product), with sound-deadening panels underneath. The headliner will be beige ultra-suede, also with a sound-deadening base. Another custom shop is recovering the steering wheel and making small wood-grain trim panels for the dash. Other suppliers for wood shift knob and specialty lighting.
Here is a photo showing the design concept. I visit the shop almost daily, and we make small changes to the design as we progress.

Attached Thumbnails New custom interior for my '08 XK-interior-design-concept.jpg   New custom interior for my '08 XK-step-4-materials-selection-3.jpg  
Old 08-31-2013, 10:06 PM
Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

Any electronic updates to match the sweet interior upholstery?

Old 09-01-2013, 12:18 AM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

Subscribed. Looking forward to watching your progress.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by apost8n8
Any electronic updates to match the sweet interior upholstery?
apost8n8: If your question about "electronic updates" means programming changes to engine performance, the answer is "no." I am making some LED lighting changes to complement the new interior: indirect light strips along the console, inside the door pockets, and around the overhead console. These will be on a rheostat so I can keep them from being too bright. In fact, the shop is looking for "glow tubes," but haven't found them yet. I'm also having shadow projectors installed in the bottom of the doors to replace the puddle lights, but will keep the red reflectors for safety.
Other electronic options include dynamic cruise control, hookup for my iPhone, and a Passport 9500ix radar detector that announces speed traps and red-light camera locations. It's updated every month through my computer. It doesn't detect laser, however. I have that in my other car and really like it. I wanted to "hide" the radar detector, but we couldn't find a good spot to build it in. So, the shop is making a slip-on cover from the croc hide, and it will blend into the dash treatment. All of the wires are hidden and I have a small remote display and mute button on the console. Finally, I am considering turn-signal lights that shine through the rear-view mirrors.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Muddydog
Subscribed. Looking forward to watching your progress.
Thanks, Muddydog: Work is (knock on wood) ahead of schedule. The first door panel is finished, and I really like it. Here's a photo. As you can see from the other pics, there's a lot left to do.

Attached Thumbnails New custom interior for my '08 XK-dscn1287.jpg   New custom interior for my '08 XK-dscn1294.jpg   New custom interior for my '08 XK-img_0612.jpg  
Old 09-01-2013, 05:11 PM
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Looks nice! What is the name of the shop and where are they located?

Old 09-01-2013, 06:52 PM

I love it! FYI, on the newer models they started putting a leather patch on the top of the door panel, also. That's not in your design, but I thought I'd mention it. Here's a pic of mine (stock, not nearly as cool!). I'm referring to the stitched leather piece just below the window.

Attached Thumbnails New custom interior for my '08 XK-image.jpg  
Old 09-02-2013, 07:36 AM
Veteran Member

It looks like your car is in skilled hands.

Old 09-02-2013, 11:46 AM
Default New custom interior

Originally Posted by Moe-she-sa
Looks nice! What is the name of the shop and where are they located?
The name of the shop is Headliner Customs in Fort Worth, TX. Here is a link to their web page.
Headliner Customs

Old 09-02-2013, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Muddydog
I love it! FYI, on the newer models they started putting a leather patch on the top of the door panel, also. That's not in your design, but I thought I'd mention it. Here's a pic of mine (stock, not nearly as cool!). I'm referring to the stitched leather piece just below the window.
Thanks, Mujddydog: I'm not having that panel replaced. It's in good shape, so we'll just make sure it's properly cleaned and conditioned before installing the strip below it. For parts like the upholstered strip, the shop covers the original panel with plastic, makes a thin fiberglass cast, sands and shapes this overlay, and then covers it with leather. The new panel fits perfectly on the door, with no seams showing. Here's a photo:
(By the way, the picture of the projected Jag emblem in your signature panel is like the one I'm having installed in the doors. Looks nice.)

Attached Thumbnails New custom interior for my '08 XK-fiberglass-overlay.jpg  

Last edited by iamddo; 09-02-2013 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Forgot something
Old 09-02-2013, 12:19 PM

More progress on panels ready for final installation. The photo shows the long panel that runs from A pillar, over the doors, and all the way to the rear hatch. The picture also shows the padded armrest that I added to the design. I'll be visiting the "patient" again today and may have another progress report on its "cosmetic surgery."

Am I posting too much information about this project? Just checking, but I don't want to overload the forum with stuff you may not care about. If you guys prefer, I can just wait and post only before-and-after pictures.

Attached Thumbnails New custom interior for my '08 XK-croc-panel.jpg  
Old 09-02-2013, 12:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

I have saved your link and will conitinue to watch the progress. Can you provide a rough estimate on what you expect to spend or invest on this project?

Love the croc leather panels.......looks totally different and like a pair of high quality Texas cowboy boots.

Look forward to seeing the progess.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by iamddo
Passport 9500ix radar detector that announces speed traps and red-light camera locations. It's updated every month through my computer. It doesn't detect laser, however. I have that in my other car and really like it.
I think you'll find the 9500ix does in fact detect laser (quite well as a matter of fact), and is fully compatible with Passports Laser Shifter products.
Just an FYI...

Old 09-02-2013, 07:04 PM
Veteran Member

More pictures the better, keep them coming.

Old 09-05-2013, 12:26 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=iamddo;803122]apost8n8: I am making some LED lighting changes to complement the new interior: indirect light strips along the console, inside the door pockets, and around the overhead console. These will be on a rheostat so I can keep them from being too bright. In fact, the shop is looking for "glow tubes," but haven't found them yet. QUOTE]

www.coolight.com you want to look at electroluminescent wire and an appropriate driver. I am installing this in a old thunderbird custom I am building. I have purchased some to play around with and it might be just what you are looking for. Its the same as is in my Audi A8L.

The following users liked this post:
Muddydog (09-06-2013)
Old 09-05-2013, 09:57 AM

www.coolight.com you want to look at electroluminescent wire and an appropriate driver. I am installing this in a old thunderbird custom I am building. I have purchased some to play around with and it might be just what you are looking for. Its the same as is in my Audi A8L.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the tip: The shop discovered this a couple of days ago, so they bought a couple of sample colors to test. I had also noticed this application in several new cars, and it's exactly what I was looking for (LEDs: too bright). None of the lights will actually show directly; all will be behind the edges of panels. The overhead light panel, for example, will "float" about a quarter-inch below the headliner, with just a little light around the perimeter.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:23 AM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

Fascinating! I wonder if we have any shops like this up in the Seattle area. Anyone have knowledge to share there?

Old 09-06-2013, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by iamddo
Thanks, Mujddydog: I'm not having that panel replaced. It's in good shape, so we'll just make sure it's properly cleaned and conditioned before installing the strip below it. For parts like the upholstered strip, the shop covers the original panel with plastic, makes a thin fiberglass cast, sands and shapes this overlay, and then covers it with leather. The new panel fits perfectly on the door, with no seams showing. Here's a photo:
(By the way, the picture of the projected Jag emblem in your signature panel is like the one I'm having installed in the doors. Looks nice.)
The projected logo gets a lot of compliments. You'll enjoy how something so simple gets so much attention.

So the original upholstery is still underneath the new leather overlay? Or you're just saying they used the original panel to create the new fiberglass one, and then replace it entirely with the new one? How did they do the center console?

Please continue to post the in-progress pics. As much as you enjoy watching the progress unfold, so do I (and it seems others, too). It's learning about how they do what-they-do that's part of the fun.

But the end result will be cool, too. I admit if you're going to mod your interior, this is the way to do it!

Last edited by Muddydog; 09-06-2013 at 09:52 AM.

Quick Reply: New custom interior for my '08 XK