XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

a new forum member, looking at an XK X150

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 01:21 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default a new forum member, looking at an XK X150

Hi, I am researching the viability of buying a repossessed x150. I have owned many interesting cars including 6 Porsches, Skyline GTR, 68 Corvette, and various other cars.
I have gone somewhat cold on buying another 911 because of their engine problems, only sorted out with the series 2 997. Pity because there is a great workshop close to me.
I will be contacting the service manager of our local Jag dealer to see what history he call trace of this particular vehicle.
I would like to learn about common issues to be aware of.
Would be happy to read any comments from members.
I am in Brisbane, Australia.

I will publish another post shortly detailing where Jag parts
are actually made.

Old 01-04-2014, 02:50 AM
GGG
Received 16,768 Likes on 12,155 Posts

I've copied this from your Intro thread for input from members with the same model.

You should add details of year and spec (4.2 or 5.0 litre / NA or SC).

I hope it checks out and you get a good deal.

Graham

Old 01-04-2014, 07:37 PM

Last edited by straddiesurfie; 01-04-2014 at 07:43 PM.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:41 PM

I am looking at an early 4.2 NA. Wonder what problems are common? Would expect there may be constant electronic gremlins so that the owner would live in fear of the CEL check engine light coming on.
Do these cars use common OBD 2 software so I could use my existing scanner?

Old 01-07-2014, 03:24 AM
GGG
Received 16,768 Likes on 12,155 Posts

I switched to a 2007 4.2 NA last November after one year with a 2005 XK8 4.2 and four years with a 2001 4.0 XK8. Both the early cars were changed because of the high miles added. The XK was a natural progression for me as I've owned and run Jaguars for over forty years.

The XK covered 2000 miles over the Christmas holiday when I took it across to France.

Overall the powertrain has become more reliable as the models have been developed. The XK 4.2 engine is now a robust package with none of the issues that plagued previous XK8/XKR 4.0 litre models. Similarly the 6-speed transmission is less problematic that the earlier model's 'sealed for life' 5-speed.

Although I'm not anticipating engine issues, the transmission is a cause for concern. The complex electronic controls for paddle shift, cruise etc have the potential for some expensive problems as the car ages.

The OBD2 is standard protocol so you can use most scanners to interface with Pxxx powertrain codes. I have AutoEnginuity with the Jaguar expansion pack which allow me to interface with the majority of onboard systems and I think something like this or Mongoose is an essential for anyone contemplating their own troubleshooting and repairs.

Graham

Old 01-07-2014, 04:00 AM

Thanks for that reply. Pity autoenginuity charge a subscription fee to use their data which is expensive if you don't use the scantool very often. Scantools are so cheap, thanks to chinese manufacturing and eBay.

Old 01-09-2014, 04:28 AM
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

I have an '07 convertible.. so far.. very reliable but expensive to maintain. I had the left front light swivel unit breakdown, which set me back quite a bit.. the hot weather took its toll on the roof fabric, so inspect that one closely (especially at the rear windshield). Engine wise, never failed on me so far even when doing ~200 for about 1 hrs straight..

only thing I still have is the high temperatures taking out the central media unit.. when driving in 46C and above for longer periods, the unit gets so warm that it fails and switches off. So no radio, no cd, no navigation, no control over air (but the airco stays in the previous selected mode - in my case, as cold as possible)