XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Newer XKR and Detailing

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 04:51 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Newer XKR and Detailing

Gang,

I'm new to Jag ownership. Last spring I picked up a 2010 XKR with about 20,000 miles on it. Over the course of the spring and summer, I hand washed my cat.

I thought that it might be a good idea to have it professionally detailed. I took it to a shop referred by our local Jag dealership. They are recommending that the car be Clay Barred to deepen the paint.

Not knowing anything about detailing, is it a good idea TO Clay Bar? Any help would be wonderful.

Thanks …

Phil …

Old 12-08-2014, 05:15 PM
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Don't know what 'deepening the paint' means!
But the occasional use of a clay bar is a good idea. The difference to the paint on my 2010 was noticeable (I did it myself a panel at a time whenever I had a bit of spare time..)

Old 12-08-2014, 05:18 PM
Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Phil, if you take a sandwich bag and put your finger in it and lightly wipe over the car (just one little swipe) and you feel friction, then it is time to use a clay bar. It will feel like a piece of glass. Be sure after the car is clay bared that it receives a good was job.

Old 12-08-2014, 05:19 PM
Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Wax job

Old 12-08-2014, 05:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by texasxkr
Wax job
I was wondering what a was job was. LOL

Old 12-08-2014, 05:32 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by plight
Gang,

I'm new to Jag ownership. Last spring I picked up a 2010 XKR with about 20,000 miles on it. Over the course of the spring and summer, I hand washed my cat.

I thought that it might be a good idea to have it professionally detailed. I took it to a shop referred by our local Jag dealership. They are recommending that the car be Clay Barred to deepen the paint.

Not knowing anything about detailing, is it a good idea TO Clay Bar? Any help would be wonderful.

Thanks …

Phil …
I had the same situation after getting my car in May. I decided to wait until after the driving season to get it clay'ed and waxed. Just do a little internet searching on how to clay a car (youtube) and you can see what it does to the finish. Although I have a 2012 and the paint is great I can take my finger and run it over a finder and feel the debris. It is a fairly simple job and I may do it myself but I'll wait until around March to do it or get it done.

Old 12-08-2014, 05:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Yes, depending on your paint status a clay barring session may be a good idea.

As stated, after washing, cleaning your car so it is the best it can be, very lightly run your hand over the paint with your fingertips ( you could use a thin plastic bag if you wish )

Does it feel rough?
Like very find sandpaper?
If so it will benefit from clay bar

Its fairly easy to do, the trick is to use plenty of lubricant and to lubricate well throughout the process!!

Here's a few vids below...

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...,d.d24&cad=rja

Old 12-08-2014, 06:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 893 Posts

I have a metallic black 2012 vert. Black cars show swirls when not washed properly. Clay barring gets rid of the swirls. On balance it is not a bad idea to do it or have it done occasionally.

Old 12-08-2014, 07:30 PM
Veteran Member

Ralph - I stand to be corrected but as far as I know clay barring will not remove swirl marks from the paint, only contaminants, brake dust, paint over spray etc

Old 12-08-2014, 07:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

Every 6 months I get my car glazed and waxed. Every year or 18 months (as required) I get a 3 step process, clay, glaze and wax.

I have a guy who does the 3 step process for $60 or $70. I know. It's insanely cheep and it takes him 6 hours or better but that's the deal. I live in a hot climate but I keep the car garaged night and day except when on the road.

The extra step of glazing really pays off especially for black cars. You must follow up the glaze step with wax as glaze offers no UV protection.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:06 PM
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=JimC64;1116956]Ralph - I stand to be corrected but as far as I know clay barring will not remove swirl marks from the paint, only contaminants, brake dust, paint over spray etc

Yep you need a swirl remover to get rid of them . A good detailer knows how to take them out.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:10 PM
Received 493 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by tarhealcracker
Every 6 months I get my car glazed and waxed. Every year or 18 months (as required) I get a 3 step process, clay, glaze and wax. I have a guy who does the 3 step process for $60 or $70. I know. It's insanely cheep and it takes him 6 hours or better but that's the deal. I live in a hot climate but I keep the car garaged night and day except when on the road. The extra step of glazing really pays off especially for black cars. You must follow up the glaze step with wax as glaze offers no UV protection.
I've never heard of glazing. Is that like a liquid wax or something?

Old 12-08-2014, 09:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Clay bar is a detailing standard. It's quicker and less abusive than using grit or chemical based polishes to remove contaminants on the finish. You can easily do this yourself if you are already hand washing the car.

There's an initial investment in tool/products, but after that twice a year on a good detail will suffice.

I wash the car in between most of the detail steps, but in general I do:

Wash
Acid wash (Iron X Car Pro)
Wash
Clay bar
Wash
Sealer
Wax

The washes between steps is very quick since the car is already "clean". Additional polishing before the sealer is sometime needed as clay can "mar" the finish, but no one who's ever seen my cars have thought that looking at the paint. Go for the fine grade bars and you can clay bar the windows and lenses. Wax the lenses is good too.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

[QUOTE=jagtoes;1116974]
Originally Posted by JimC64
Ralph - I stand to be corrected but as far as I know clay barring will not remove swirl marks from the paint, only contaminants, brake dust, paint over spray etc

Yep you need a swirl remover to get rid of them . A good detailer knows how to take them out.
Getting swirls out is a pain and where the real high cost for a pro comes in.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,136 Likes on 3,382 Posts

Originally Posted by plight
... Not knowing anything about detailing, is it a good idea TO Clay Bar? Any help would be wonderful.

Thanks …

Phil …
Phil,

Click on this link for everything that you wanted to know but were afraid to ask about car detailing: Auto Detailing Facts, auto detailing Tips, How to detailing Guides, how to polish, how to wax, DIY detailing, do it yourself guides You won't find a more comprehensive explanation.

Here's the flowchart from the above link:

Stuart

Last edited by Stuart S; 12-09-2014 at 11:28 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ElGreco (12-12-2014)
Old 12-09-2014, 07:04 AM
Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

I had my 2008 professionally detailed with a clay bar and a paint sealant before storing it away for the winter. With the dark colors it was hard to see all the imperfections, but under the right lights the surface was full of swirl marks. Detailing made a major difference.

The attached link shows some pictures before and after:
https://www.facebook.com/WolfeboroCarwash

Come Spring when I take it out of storage, I plan to take it one more step and put a couple of coats of Pinnacle Souveran car wax on it for added protection.

Old 12-09-2014, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Muddydog
I've never heard of glazing. Is that like a liquid wax or something?
Try Poorboys Blackhole ( If you have a black or darker coloured car, specifically designed for this )
I believe they have a product called White Diamond for whites and or lighter coloured cars.

The glaze has fillers in it helping to smooth out imperfections.

After clay barring I used this on my XJ which was clean and in decent shape to start with.

Essentially if you apply a little product and apply in a smallish circle, or tape off a section, then buff to shine, try standing back and looking at the spot closely from different directions.

Name:  5050Medium.jpg
Views: 766
Size:  29.3 KB

Name:  P1000893.jpg
Views: 1601
Size:  79.4 KB

You will basically see a "BLACK" circle, or a distinct line in your paint and the surrounding areas are a little lighter, almost grey in comparison.
Usually this is then sealed with a wax / sealant or your choice.

The difference is like night n day

The following 2 users liked this post by JimC64:
Muddydog (12-09-2014), Rw99 (12-11-2014)
Old 12-09-2014, 09:36 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Phil, I clay bar every six months then followed up with polish then wax. It's a process but the car will be bullet proof! All the best, enjoy.

Old 12-09-2014, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

Yes, yes, yes.....do the clay bar...and do it yourself. Buy a clay bar kit at your local auto supply store or at Amazon and buy either the "Mothers" brand Gold Clay Bar kit or the "Meguiars" Clay Bar kit.

Amazon.com: Mothers 07240 California Gold Clay Bar System: Automotive Amazon.com: Mothers 07240 California Gold Clay Bar System: Automotive

Amazon.com: Meguiar's G1016 Smooth Surface Clay Kit: Automotive Amazon.com: Meguiar's G1016 Smooth Surface Clay Kit: Automotive

Buy an extra spray bottle of Mothers or Meguiars Quick Detail, as you will use this as a lubricant with the clay bar. Takes about 30 minutes to clay bar the entire car.

Amazon.com: MOTHERS 08224 California Gold Showtime Instant Detailer - 24 oz: Automotive Amazon.com: MOTHERS 08224 California Gold Showtime Instant Detailer - 24 oz: Automotive

Amazon.com: Meguiar's G7624 Gold Class Premium Quik Detailer - 24 oz.: Automotive Amazon.com: Meguiar's G7624 Gold Class Premium Quik Detailer - 24 oz.: Automotive

Car MUST be washed first before clay barring the Jag.

Doing the clay bar will turn the paint surface like glass, super smooth.

Once clay barred, wash again, let dry, apply Meguiars Tech 2.0 wax to the car. Always use a quality microfiber cloth to wipe off any wax or paint protection.

Amazon.com: Auto Detailing Towels - Professional Grade Premium 70/30 Split Microfiber Cloth 16" X 16" 520 GSM (Pack of 3) - Best Microfiber Cleaning Cloth Preferred By Professional Detailers. The Cleaning Microfiber That's Ultra Thick, Super Absorbent with Silk Banded Edges, Scratch-free & Lint-free - 100% Guaranteed: Automotive Amazon.com: Auto Detailing Towels - Professional Grade Premium 70/30 Split Microfiber Cloth 16" X 16" 520 GSM (Pack of 3) - Best Microfiber Cleaning Cloth Preferred By Professional Detailers. The Cleaning Microfiber That's Ultra Thick, Super Absorbent with Silk Banded Edges, Scratch-free & Lint-free - 100% Guaranteed: Automotive

Amazon.com: Meguiars G12718 Nxt Generation Tech Wax 2.0 Liquid Wax With Applicator 18 Oz Bottle: Automotive Amazon.com: Meguiars G12718 Nxt Generation Tech Wax 2.0 Liquid Wax With Applicator 18 Oz Bottle: Automotive

Total time to DIY detail the Jag completely including doing the wheels and under the bonnet is about 4-6 hours. 2-3 hours to hand wash, clay bar, hand wash again, and apply your favorite wax to the surface.

Contaminents are always on the paint surface. Using a clay bar is the best way to smooth the paint to an ultmate glass like finish. Apply light pressure when using the clay bar. You will be amazed at how easy this is to do.

I have used the clay bar many times on my 2009 Jaguar, 2014 Porsche 981, 2014 Ford F-150 and my wifes 2012 Hyundai Tucson. The result to my method is a showroom finish. Clay bar the car every 6 months. It WILL NOT damage the paint surface.

You can spend $50.00 to DIY or pay a detail shop over $200 to $250 to do the same thing.

Detailing your own cars will bring lots of personal satisfaction. Try this method, you will not be disappointed. This post should make it very easy for you/anybody with all links provided for easy access and ordering the products mentioned.

If you've been helped, please click on the "Thanks" button

Last edited by richzak; 12-09-2014 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Added link to Microfiber cloths
The following 2 users liked this post by richzak:
ElGreco (12-12-2014), sharx8 (12-13-2014)
Old 12-09-2014, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member

Following on from Richzak's comments...

Yes, wash the car first for sure.

Buying an expensive detail lubricating spray isn't absolutely necessary.
Top tip....

Wash the car and leave wet.
Keep your soapy wash mitt handy and generously apply to the spot you're going to be working on. Have a spray bottle handy mixed with warm soapy water and spray as required as a top up lubricant and clay away till your hearts content.

Quick Reply: Newer XKR and Detailing