XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

The next XK

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 09:11 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default The next XK

After seeing the new F Type and being thoroughly impresses with the design, I wonder what Jag has in store for the new XK. This most recent iteration is drop dead gorgeous and in my opinion has aged amazingly well....its very hard to make a timeless design with a car yet this generation XK is truly a classic. What are you guys hoping for?

Old 05-28-2012, 09:58 PM
RJC
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

According to the regional jag USA sales rep the car will grow to a true 2+2 and move further upmarket. It should be out late 2013 as a '14 or early 2014 as a '15. There will be a high power forced induction V6 as an option. With Ian Callum at the design helm I'm sure it won't dissapoint as the recent revisions to the '12 were spot on.

Last edited by RJC; 05-28-2012 at 10:05 PM.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

I'm glad the F-Type looks different than the XK because it is a different model, but I hope the new XK is more an evolution of existing model. If it has a little more rear seat room, that'll be great for those that maybe couldn't consider the existing XK, while others that don't care about that can choose between trim/sporty and larger and more elegant.

I love everything about the current XK, and while I can't imagine a major update being more appealing, I also have complete confidence that Jaguar will continue to exceed design expectation...and I'm sure it will become everyone's fantasy on this forum. If Jaguar is going head to head with the Gran Turismo and Panamera it'll be very exciting!

Bruce

Last edited by Bruce H.; 05-29-2012 at 06:14 AM.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:37 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RJC
According to the regional jag USA sales rep the car will grow to a true 2+2 and move further upmarket. It should be out late 2013 as a '14 or early 2014 as a '15. There will be a high power forced induction V6 as an option. With Ian Callum at the design helm I'm sure it won't dissapoint as the recent revisions to the '12 were spot on.
I hope the growth to a true 2+2 doesn't mean a reduction of interior legroom for the driver.
I also hope it doesn't add to the overall length increase in the exterior size. The current car is 188 inches long. Any bigger would ruin the sexy shape. Like the new BMW 6 series. The last model had a great shape imo. The new model is 192 inches and looks like a whale.
The current size of the XK is perfect.
People who want back seat space have so many options. I would rather the XK focus on the driver.

Old 06-19-2012, 05:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

I hope the new XK will have...

(1) a real trunk with a powered lid. I don't want to pay 100k for a hatchback.
(2) a sunroof or Magic Sky a' la SL /SLK
(3) a nicer interior, the current XK interior looks pretty low rent/lo-tech
(4) oh and please fix that ungainly Ford Focus snout.

Cheers,
Wolfy

Last edited by Wolfy; 06-19-2012 at 05:57 AM.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolfy

(1) a real trunk. I don't want to pay 100k for a hatchback.

Cheers,
Wolfy
The interior of my 2010 is excellent. Leather everywhere, additional leather pads on the door panels, contrasting stitching, cockpit styling over drivers display, 7 way adjustable heated and cooled seats with memory (both), heated steering wheel, Alcantara headliner - the only thing I don't have is a backup camera which is available on the 2012 on (or maybe the 2013). Technology everywhere tastefully melded into the functional space. And I am just skimming the accoutrements...

I don't understand the comment of "low rent". That simply isn't so.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by rscultho
The interior of my 2010 is excellent. Leather everywhere, additional leather pads on the door panels, contrasting stitching, cockpit styling over drivers display, 7 way adjustable heated and cooled seats with memory (both), heated steering wheel, Alcantara headliner - the only thing I don't have is a backup camera which is available on the 2012 on (or maybe the 2013). Technology everywhere tastefully melded into the functional space. And I am just skimming the accoutrements...

I've only sat inside an 07 XK and it left me cold, as cold as the XF interior. I am used to the posh ambiance of an XJ VDP and the older XK8. From your description, maybe they upgraded the '10... which is a good thing!

Cheers,
Wolfy

Old 06-19-2012, 07:06 AM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

I've only sat inside an 07 XK and it left me cold, as cold as the XF interior. I am used to the posh ambiance of an XJ VDP and the older XK8. From your description, maybe they upgraded the '10... which is a good thing!

Cheers,
Wolfy
The current XK is extremely luxurious on the inside. The only cheap stuff is the plastic around the nav display, and the plastic buttons underneath the nav display. The doors also have some cheap buttons/controls. Other than that, it compares favorably to the most high end interiors of any other car on the market.

The main thing it really needs is a software upgrade to bring the nav/dispay system up to date. As it stands now, that system is about 10 years out of date. I seriously doubt that the upgrade will ever happen, though.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:28 PM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

(1) a real trunk with a powered lid. I don't want to pay 100k for a hatchback.
(4) oh and please fix that ungainly Ford Focus snout.

Cheers,
Wolfy
I have a HUGE powered sunroof in mine. ;D

Old 06-19-2012, 02:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by rscultho
And the hatch is one of the coolest features. People are like "wow" when the see the hatch open. A lift sensor on the hatch would be cool to prevent it hitting a low ceiling.

Old 06-19-2012, 03:54 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
And the hatch is one of the coolest features. People are like "wow" when the see the hatch open. A lift sensor on the hatch would be cool to prevent it hitting a low ceiling.
Not only that, but I wish the back seats weren't even there, or at least could fold down, to allow the storage space to go all the way up to the back of the front seats.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Cheers,
Wolfy
I dunno, my X350 VDP had a lot of cheap bits in it. Especially the headliner!

Old 06-19-2012, 06:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Didn't the E-Types have a hatch?! I think they opened sideways. It's part of the car's DNA!

Old 06-19-2012, 07:34 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
Didn't the E-Types have a hatch?! I think they opened sideways. It's part of the car's DNA!
And had it been electric it would never have worked! XK DNA runs deep, and for that reason I think I know one person who will never find an XK to his liking

Old 06-19-2012, 09:16 PM
Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce H.
XK DNA runs deep, and for that reason I think I know one person who will never find an XK to his liking
That's because his DNA now has SL AMG genes!

Old 06-20-2012, 05:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by aahmichael
Not only that, but I wish the back seats weren't even there, or at least could fold down, to allow the storage space to go all the way up to the back of the front seats.
Yea, I'd like this too. I had this in my 3000GT VR4.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:53 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce H.
And had it been electric it would never have worked! XK DNA runs deep, and for that reason I think I know one person who will never find an XK to his liking
Lucas, the Prince of Darkness.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:53 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default New XK

Originally Posted by RJC
That's not good news. Jaguar has a history of bad 2+2 design. Remember the 2+2 E Type. Terrible proportions.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:30 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 2007 Rick
That's not good news. Jaguar has a history of bad 2+2 design. Remember the 2+2 E Type. Terrible proportions.
The current XK is a 2+2... and they seemed to have gotten better at it What I can't remember is if the old E-Type 2+2 had more leg room than the current one. But in the end the F-Type may end up being the closer replacement to the XK, with the new XK more of a new model. It'll be a desirable car either way I'm sure.