XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

OEM Alpine stereo kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 08:14 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default OEM Alpine stereo kit

What are the specs on the original kit in the XK? Am looking to fit an extra amp and speakers. I'll probably go for an amp that takes speaker level inputs - so I can keep all the existing units etc. Just curious about the original specs as I want the upgrade to actually be an improvement!

(PS, 2007 XK coupe)

Old 03-16-2012, 03:38 AM

Surely someone out there must know?
I've written to Alpine and Jaguar, but neither have responded.

Does anyone know anything about the configuration of the in-car audio system in the XK? How does the cd player integrate with the bluetooth and parking sensors and the touch screen etc - surely Jaguar didn't develop a bespoke head-unit from scratch for the XK - that would be hugely expensive?!

Old 03-16-2012, 09:25 AM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

It's a good question. I'd like to know the answer as well. I suppose another question would be this -- where are you going to hide these goodies? There's precious little extra space for amp shenanigans in these cars. Well, mine's a convertible, so I'd be looking at sacrificing what precious little trunk space I have for an amp/sub set.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Rahtok
It's a good question. I'd like to know the answer as well. I suppose another question would be this -- where are you going to hide these goodies? There's precious little extra space for amp shenanigans in these cars. Well, mine's a convertible, so I'd be looking at sacrificing what precious little trunk space I have for an amp/sub set.

I'm sure you could find space for an amp somewhere - under the rear seat perhaps - I dunno. I wasn't looking to put a sub in, just better full range speakers.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:39 AM
Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

Focal makes some nice full range speakers that are pretty efficient. Just don't go to the top end that want 75+ RMS... as I doubt we're pushing that much. There was a thread recently on SQ and SP in the XKs recently -- done by Stuart. The overall quality is pretty good, but I find the SP lacking... mind you, that's not to say that Jag did a bad job IMHO. It's just that I'm overly snobby about my noise. I haven't ever sat in a factory system that really had me convinced I didn't need more. /facepalm

Old 03-16-2012, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Rahtok
Focal makes some nice full range speakers that are pretty efficient. Just don't go to the top end that want 75+ RMS... as I doubt we're pushing that much. There was a thread recently on SQ and SP in the XKs recently -- done by Stuart. The overall quality is pretty good, but I find the SP lacking... mind you, that's not to say that Jag did a bad job IMHO. It's just that I'm overly snobby about my noise. I haven't ever sat in a factory system that really had me convinced I didn't need more. /facepalm
I play guitar in a band.... Want it LOUD!!!

Old 03-16-2012, 12:31 PM
Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by manicguitarist
Surely someone out there must know?
I've written to Alpine and Jaguar, but neither have responded.

Does anyone know anything about the configuration of the in-car audio system in the XK? How does the cd player integrate with the bluetooth and parking sensors and the touch screen etc - surely Jaguar didn't develop a bespoke head-unit from scratch for the XK - that would be hugely expensive?!
I worked for Siemens for a while, designing a new head unit core for cars. Siemens sold exactly the same system to many differnet car manufacturers, just with small software modifications (mostly the display graphics) and a different plastic front panel for each car model/manufacturer. The unit I worked on went into (at least) Porsche boxters and 911s, Lancias, and Fiats and probably other makes/models too.

I'd be VERY surprised if Jag developed their own system from scratch, or if basically the same system isn't also used in at least one or two other brands.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by JustNiz
I worked for Siemens for a while, designing a new head unit core for cars. Siemens sold exactly the same system to many differnet car manufacturers, just with small software modifications (mostly the display graphics) and a different plastic front panel for each car model/manufacturer. The unit I worked on went into (at least) Porsche boxters and 911s, Lancias, and Fiats and probably other makes/models too.

I'd be VERY surprised if Jag developed their own system from scratch, or if basically the same system isn't also used in at least one or two other brands.

That's what I figured. I reckon some fords of the same era might have them in too...wonder if we can get bluetooth updates from Ford?

Old 03-19-2012, 06:55 AM

I bit the bullet and 'phoned Jaguar *AND* Alpine (UK). Alpine said "You need to speak to Jaguar".
Jaguar said, after taking my VIN etc "We have no idea of the specs of the system".

Old 03-24-2012, 12:11 AM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Doesn't answer your question, but Googling this might interest you:

Alpine's ground-breaking digital 5.1 surround sound system for new Jaguar XK

Old 03-24-2012, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by GreyXK
Doesn't answer your question, but Googling this might interest you:

Alpine's ground-breaking digital 5.1 surround sound system for new Jaguar XK
Yeah, I was aware of that. I think if I actually had the 5.1 kit inu car as opposed to the basic kit, I'd probably be ok with the sound. I've contacted alpine and jaguar and no one seems to know!

Old 03-24-2012, 08:15 AM
Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

From what I have found it says 5.1 digital surround system and with the premium system you get a subwoofer and 550 watts. Some specs say 525 watts. So I don't know which. My days of loud stereos are long gone along with the hearing in my ears.

Old 03-24-2012, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by 07XKJaguar
From what I have found it says 5.1 digital surround system and with the premium system you get a subwoofer and 550 watts. Some specs say 525 watts. So I don't know which. My days of loud stereos are long gone along with the hearing in my ears.
my XK doesn't have the Dolby system. Just 6 cd changer stereo.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:45 AM

I've just got this reply from Jaguar. Which explains why the existing sound system isn't so hot:
Please accept my sincere apologies for the delay in providing the information concerning the audio system in your vehicle.
Our Audio Engineer has forwarded the following in response to your enquiry:

It is difficult for us to identify exactly what system was fitted to this car as marketing naming convention is always different that that used in engineering. But I think the term "Jaguar Sound System" refers to the standard unbranded audio system (not premium)
If this is the case then the vehicle does not have a remote amplifier & subwoofer (located beneath passenger kick board) and does not have centre speaker,
So vehicle has IAM2 (gen2.0) headunit manufactured by MELCO (Mitsubishi Electric Corporation) driving 6 speakers (woofer & tweeter in each door and mid range in each rear qtr panel) from 4 channels, IAM 2.0 was specified to have
19 W/channel at 0.5% THD+N (4 channels)
25 W/channel at 10% THD+N (4 channels)
This audio system had 4 ohm speakers, but I am not familiar with speaker supplier.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question to your satisfaction. Again, I apologise for the time it has taken to get to this point and thank you for your patience.

Old 04-21-2012, 09:23 AM
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Manicguitarist, that explains a lot - credit Jaguar for being that specific. I'm with you, good audio and sufficient volume matter. If you are thinking about upgrading, several of us have .. and have followed similar approaches, largely independently. This thread is a good place to start if you're thinking about doing something along those lines. I'm happy to PM you additional content and anything else I learned along the way.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:25 AM
Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts

I can only say good things about the Bowers and Wilkins system. Its so good, even way better than the stereo I have in my house.
It came in my 2008 car only because its a portfolio ed. I think they come as standard since maybe 2009 or so. If you are considering buying an XKR its worth making sure you get one with the Bowers and Wilkins system.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great info