XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Oil change

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 06:18 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Oil change

I bought a 07 XK a few months back. I can't find any info on how to know when it's time to change the fluid. Does a light come on to let me know like my Benz. This car did not come with full synthetic from the factory according to the manual. Is this correct? Surprised !

Old 11-10-2013, 06:38 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Jaguar servicing is on a mileage or time elapsed basis.

The scheduled service interval on your model is every 10K Miles OR 12 Months - whichever comes sooner.

Jaguar cars do not leave the factory with fully synthetic oil.

If you begin reading forum posts on the topic of 'best oil' you will still be reading at Christmas! This is what Jaguar has to say on the subject:

Oil change-oil.jpg

(click on the image to enlarge it)

Beyond that, choice of regular or synthetic is down to personal preference.

Graham

Old 11-10-2013, 08:02 AM
Received 87 Likes on 37 Posts

As mentioned, there is no 'Maintenance Minder' usage-driven indicator on the XK.
Something else that might come as a sticker shock: Jaguars traditionally have large-capacity sumps. The XK engine holds around 7.5 US qts of oil - around double the amount of a 'normal' engine.....

Jeremy

Old 11-10-2013, 09:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

The car owner needs to take personal responsibility for oil changes. You can go by mileage or time. You can choose to change oil and filter earlier than what what the manufacturer recommends, you can push the limit and go beyond.

You can use high quality components and oil brands or cheap ones and oil brands.

The cost to have an oil change from a service provider, independent or dealer runs $90.00 to $120.00.

This is a small expense for a premium car like an XK or XKR. It's just a cost of owning the car.

I think most owners would agree that every 5000 to 7500 miles is appropriate for oil change timing. Jaguar recommends 10,000 miles.

Personally I prefer earlier than that. Oil and lubrication is an essential part of maintaining a good running engine.

Old 11-10-2013, 11:15 AM
Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts

If the 10K oil change bothers you, just change the filter every 5K.
Jaguar filters are not very big.......and don't forget to top up afterwards!
The easiest way to do this is (for a 78 yr old!) to use a good plastic ramp ; the steel ones like to slide away too easily ........
Although I just bought an Al. 1 1/2 ton floor jack (at Harbor Freight) to supplement my old heavy 2 ton steel one. Very light, even I can carry it and only $64............
Wife said "why did you buy that" answer: "I have an Al. car" !!

Cheers, Adrian

Old 11-10-2013, 11:59 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by richzak
I think most owners would agree that every 5000 to 7500 miles is appropriate for oil change timing. Jaguar recommends 10,000 miles.
Given that the OEM interval is already conservative and nowhere near the ragged edge, second guessing and reducing it yet again by half makes little sense.

There's no evidence that even remotely suggests that more frequent oil changes affects engine helath or life one way or the other.

As always- the owner must do what makes him happiest- the cars apparently couldn't care less.

Old 11-10-2013, 05:59 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mikey
Given that the OEM interval is already conservative and nowhere near the ragged edge, second guessing and reducing it yet again by half makes little sense.

There's no evidence that even remotely suggests that more frequent oil changes affects engine helath or life one way or the other.

As always- the owner must do what makes him happiest- the cars apparently couldn't care less.
The cleaner the oil the better it is for the engine and vital components.

After racing Formula cars for many years, the oil and filter was changed after each race weekend.

I realize the XK or XKR is NOT a Formula race car, but there is nothing hurtful about changing oil and filter every 5,000 to 7500 miles. It's a small expense compared to the value of the car.

But to each his own on timing and mileage.

I am happy to change the oil and filter out every 5000 to 7500 miles for my own peace of mind. The cost is immaterial to me when owning a car that retails at $100,000+.

Old 11-10-2013, 06:12 PM

Yes, if that makes you feel better.

Your statement "I think most owners would agree" is definitely not true when it comes to any facet of oil discussions.

Old 11-10-2013, 07:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

The scheduled service interval on your model is every 10K Miles OR 12 Months - whichever comes sooner.

Your car, your choice whether you do it sooner, per the schedule, later or at all

Old 11-10-2013, 08:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

It seems strange that the X150 doesn't have an "oil change" warning indication on the screen.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

On a 2012 when you reach either a month or 2000 miles before a change is due you get a warning in print at the bottom of the center panel between the analog clock and the odometer.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Most owners who look at the maintenance schedule do not realise that they ought to be looking at the severe service schedule. The short version is that unless the vehicle is driven exclusively on long highway journeys, the severe service schedule applies. Just look at the definition in the fine print.

And given the Jaguar tendency to "sealed for life" as a specification on many other lubricants, their pronouncement as to oil change intervals is understandably suspect.

Last edited by plums; 11-10-2013 at 09:38 PM.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:52 PM

I've never seen Jaguar actually publish a definition of 'severe service'.

If we are to use bobistheoilguy as any sort of credible reference, there's some thinking that very few modern vehicles fall under their OEM's definition of severe service

Changing Definition of Severe Service - Bob Is The Oil Guy

Old 11-10-2013, 09:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by plums
Most owners who look at the maintenance schedule do not realise that they ought to be looking at the severe service schedule. The short version is that unless the vehicle is driven exclusively on long highway journeys, the severe service schedule applies. Just look at the definition in the fine print.

And given the Jaguar tendency to "sealed for life" as a specification on many other lubricants, their pronouncement as to oil change intervals is understandably suspect.
^This^

I recommend every owner research "Severe Service Schedule".
If you choose a lesser route, that's your call, but most of us fit in that schedule.

The following users liked this post:
plums (11-10-2013)
Old 11-10-2013, 11:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
I've never seen Jaguar actually publish a definition of 'severe service'.

Vehicle Care Manual

Scheduled Maintenance

The Maintenance Schedules list all the maintenance operations
and their intervals. Because of the need for the use of
specialized equipment and skills, it is strongly recommended
that all service work be entrusted to a Jaguar Dealer.

Should the vehicle cover a low annual mileage, have a high
proportion of short journeys or operate in severe conditions,
Jaguar Cars recommend that the lubrication service shown in
the maintenance schedule in the ‘Passport to Service’ Booklet
be performed at intervals not to exceed six months.

The Maintenance Schedules may be revised from time to time.
Jaguar Dealers will be notified of revisions by Service Policy
Letters or Technical Bulletins.
It's in the usual low key "sealed for life" Jaguar language,
but the intent is clear on the face of the statement.

Most automotive professionals have the understanding that
severe service mandates a halving of both mileage and time
intervals. This is because they deal with a range of makes
whose manufacturers are a little more forthcoming on what
severe service means.

In addition to short journeys, the other characteristics
usually mentioned are extended idling, stop and go traffic,
and frequent acceleration.

In other words, anything other than long highway journeys.
Not to mention, typical usage for most drivers.

I believe I have previously copy and pasted the same information
in reply to the same niggle.

The Vehicle Care Manual is supplied with every Jaguar and is available
as a download for most models in the stickies at the top of the model
specific forum sections.
++

Last edited by plums; 11-10-2013 at 11:14 PM.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:28 PM
Veteran Member

I'll stick to my plan to have the oil changed every 5000 to 7500 miles.

The cost of the oil change is immaterial to me.

It will provide peace of mind even if other owners feel it is unnecssary or a waste of money and time. It's cheap maintenance item/service to preserve the integrity of the engine and components.

Sounds like this is a controverial topic and it should be left up to personal perference and personal driving habits and conditions.

There are allot of opinions on this topic.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:59 AM

So Jaguar's definition of 'severe service' is

Should the vehicle cover a low annual mileage, have a high
proportion of short journeys or operate in severe conditions,

without actually defining low, high, short or severe.

That's helpful.

Originally Posted by plums
Most automotive professionals have the understanding that
severe service mandates a halving of both mileage and time
intervals. This is because they deal with a range of makes
whose manufacturers are a little more forthcoming on what
severe service means.

In addition to short journeys, the other characteristics
usually mentioned are extended idling, stop and go traffic,
and frequent acceleration.

In other words, anything other than long highway journeys.
Not to mention, typical usage for most drivers.

If you follow the link I posted above to the BITOG site, it contains the actual wording from manufacturers that are more forthcoming. If automotive professionals are to take their lead from these other brands as you propose, then very few Jaguars would fall under severe service.

Here's Ford's wording from 2004, keeping in mind they were Jag's parent company at the time

"Towing
Heavy Commercial Use
Operating in Dusty Conditions
Off Road Operations"

That's it.

Old 11-11-2013, 11:01 PM
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

I just did mine at the 7300 mile mark. I have a service shop nearby that does oil changes for $9.99 on Mondays. I purchased from Walmart a 5 quart container of Mobil 1 5W-30 full syn for $25 and two single quarts for $7.42 each. The filter was changed with a Wix forgot the part number but got it O'Rilleys for $10.40. Total cost to perform the oil change was $14.44 and with all that I bought comes to $65. My Chevy 2500 truck has the computer that determines oil life and it uses temp and engine rpm. It usually tells me between 7-8K miles that it's time to change.

It's best that the engine gets to operating temp long enough for the oil temp to get 212deg F to burn off any moisture that it might have absorbed.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

I've evolved over time with the improvements to oil. I recall the days when I would do an oil change on the XJ-6 (9 qts) and the XJ-S (12 qts) every 3000 miles. Then it went to 5000 miles which seemed to be where I stopped. The Lexus says 10000 miles but I started to see discoloration at around 7000 so I fell back to changing it every 5000. My wife's Volvo at 336,000 miles gets it changed at 5000 also. The Ferrari gets it changed once a year which usually is around 3000 miles. So I think it is up to you and what you feel good about. No matter how you look at it , it is a cheap investment. The bigger problem back in the day was getting rid of 12 qts of oil , LOL. Now days my local salvage yard burns it in their oil furnace and welcomes the stuff.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:17 AM

Colour/transparency of engine oil should never be used as a guide to determine whether it needs changing or not. Oxidation or the suspension of carbon particles has little/nothing to do with the ability to lubricate or health of the additives.

Quick Reply: Oil change