XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Paddle shift not working

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 07:43 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Paddle shift not working

Problem is 2009 xk sport mode and paddle shifters not working. Paddle shifters will not engage no matter what I do. Also, no sport mode when put into the s position. Only shows the D on the dash never changes to S or numbers 1-6.

Old 06-07-2016, 10:08 AM
GGG
Received 16,794 Likes on 12,165 Posts

I've moved your question from General Tech Help to X150 forum. Members here with the same model will be able to help.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
shamronbeach (06-07-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 06:25 AM

Possible that the dealer disabled paddles?

Old 06-08-2016, 10:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Sounds like fuse or relay error. Check fuses for transmission related functions.

shamronbeach (06-09-2016)
Old 06-09-2016, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by tberg
Sounds like fuse or relay error. Check fuses for transmission related functions.
I am having a hard time trying to figure out which fuse are relay. I have the chart from this forum but nothing identifies paddle shifter. Thanks for the reply will keep looking.

Old 06-10-2016, 12:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

In your owners manual you will find a listing of each of the fuses in each box. The section covering fuses is in pages 185-194. Unfortunately there is not a fuse mentioned as being specific to the paddle shifters. However, in the passenger compartment fuse box there is a fuse devoted to Adaptive dynamic ride control power it is fuse Nr 14a, 15v blue in color. That might be it.

In addition, suggest you look at pages 119-120 and make sure your car is not in the limp home mode.

shamronbeach (06-10-2016)
Old 06-10-2016, 03:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

If you haven't tried it, the first thing I would do is disconnect and reconnect the battery. The second thing I would do would be to scan the car for errors if you have access to a Jaguar specific diagnostic module.

Judging by the elecrical guide there aren't any fuses or relays involved and this description of the paddle levers is from the workshop manual:

When the switch is operated, a ground for the switch contacts is completed via a resistor. The completed ground signal is passed via a hardwired connection to the steering wheel module. The module converts the switch signal into a Local Interconnect Network (LIN) bus message which in turn is passed to the instrument cluster, via the steering wheel clockspring. The instrument cluster converts the LIN message into a high speed CAN bus message which is broadcast to the TCM and other system modules.

And this is for the gear selection lever ( I assume you have a 4.2L?)

The selector lever is located in a slot in the rotary disc which rotates with movement of the lever in the forward or back directions. The disc movement positions magnets located on the disc which are detected by Hall sensors located on the selector PCB which correspond with the different selector positions. The Hall sensors produce a signal relative to the lever position which is passed as a high speed CAN bus message to other system modules.

shamronbeach (06-10-2016)
Old 06-10-2016, 06:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,139 Likes on 3,383 Posts

Originally Posted by u102768
If you haven't tried it, the first thing I would do is disconnect and reconnect the battery. The second thing I would do would be to scan the car for errors if you have access to a Jaguar specific diagnostic module.

Judging by the elecrical guide there aren't any fuses or relays involved and this description of the paddle levers is from the workshop manual:

When the switch is operated, a ground for the switch contacts is completed via a resistor. The completed ground signal is passed via a hardwired connection to the steering wheel module. The module converts the switch signal into a Local Interconnect Network (LIN) bus message which in turn is passed to the instrument cluster, via the steering wheel clockspring. The instrument cluster converts the LIN message into a high speed CAN bus message which is broadcast to the TCM and other system modules.

And this is for the gear selection lever ( I assume you have a 4.2L?)

The selector lever is located in a slot in the rotary disc which rotates with movement of the lever in the forward or back directions. The disc movement positions magnets located on the disc which are detected by Hall sensors located on the selector PCB which correspond with the different selector positions. The Hall sensors produce a signal relative to the lever position which is passed as a high speed CAN bus message to other system modules.
Great info, but it translates into my language as "time to take it to the dealer".

I did notice the reference to the clockspring in the steering wheel and recall that there have been other threads involving this part being defective. Maybe that's the cause - just a guess.

The following 2 users liked this post by Stuart S:
guy (02-03-2022), shamronbeach (06-10-2016)
Old 06-10-2016, 08:07 AM
Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

I am curious to hear of the direction this goes? I only drive my car in sport mode and always use the sport mode and paddles...it is more engaging to me. I hope this is a simple fix! good luck to the op.

The following 2 users liked this post by ferraripete:
guy (02-03-2022), shamronbeach (06-13-2016)
Old 06-10-2016, 07:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,484 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart S

I did notice the reference to the clockspring in the steering wheel and recall that there have been other threads involving this part being defective. Maybe that's the cause - just a guess.
I did wonder that as well but that wouldn't explain why the car won't go in to sports mode when the gear lever is shifted across. If the problems are linked it sounds more like a module playing up which is why I suggested disconnecting and reconnecting the battery first as it is free to try.

shamronbeach (06-13-2016)
Old 06-10-2016, 08:41 PM

I am going to look under the dash this weekend. The wiring diagram shows a module somewhere in that area. I did read somewhere of this switch being disconnected because of accidental engagement. This car was owned by a lady and just wondering if it was a problem to her. Fig.05.2 http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Elec...al%20Guide.pdf

Old 06-13-2016, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by u102768
I did wonder that as well but that wouldn't explain why the car won't go in to sports mode when the gear lever is shifted across. If the problems are linked it sounds more like a module playing up which is why I suggested disconnecting and reconnecting the battery first as it is free to try.
I have tried to disconnect the battery and also checked for codes and nothing. Looks like I will have to visit the dealer.

Old 03-28-2017, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by shamronbeach
Problem is 2009 xk sport mode and paddle shifters not working. Paddle shifters will not engage no matter what I do. Also, no sport mode when put into the s position. Only shows the D on the dash never changes to S or numbers 1-6.
I took the car out it has been sitting all winter. Decided to go to dealer for the paddle shift and s drive not working. They came up with a P0827 code and could not say what the cause really is from. I was told it could be the shifter assembly and maybe the paddles and something else maybe.

jahummer (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 09:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

I took the car out it has been sitting all winter. Decided to go to dealer for the paddle shift and s drive not working. They came up with a P0827 code and could not say what the cause really is from. I was told it could be the shifter assembly and maybe the paddles and something else maybe.
Did you look up the code?
https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...-brady-klopfer

shamronbeach (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 10:18 PM

Looks like will have to remove the console to see if I can find something.

Old 06-15-2017, 09:46 PM
Default Paddles working

Decided to remove paddles and see if I could find the problem. As I think I mentioned some lady was the previous owner. It looks like she had the paddles unplugged and taped. Removed tape and reconnected working perfect now. By the way I took it to the dealer about a month ago. They wanted $1500 to repair.

Old 06-15-2017, 10:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Great news!

shamronbeach (06-16-2017)
Old 06-16-2017, 05:26 AM
Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Decided to remove paddles and see if I could find the problem. As I think I mentioned some lady was the previous owner. It looks like she had the paddles unplugged and taped. Removed tape and reconnected working perfect now. By the way I took it to the dealer about a month ago. They wanted $1500 to repair.
wow - great news !!

Old 06-16-2017, 08:22 AM
Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

bloody good show!!!!!

Old 06-16-2017, 08:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,889 Likes on 1,283 Posts

And they had probably charged the little old lady $1500 to unplug and tape the paddles in the first place!
Nice save!

Quick Reply: Paddle shift not working