XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Pandora via iPhone 5 to '12 or '13 XKR?

Old 11-18-2013, 09:44 PM
Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Pandora via iPhone 5 to '12 or '13 XKR?

Many similar threads posted, but couldn't find an answer for my specific question.

I'd like to stream Pandora from my iPhone 5 into my 2012 XKR-S. If I buy the Apple Lightning adapter, will I be able to listen to Pandora? Or will I be limited to listening to only iPod output from the phone?

Currently I have an iPod Nano connected to the cable; it works great. But it'd be nice to have a Pandora option available, too...

Thanks in advance for any info...

Rich

Old 11-19-2013, 06:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

I listen to Pandora on my iPhone 4 via iPod connector in my XK. Doesn't sound that fantastic, but should be expected.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:36 AM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I have an iphone 5 and connect via lightning cable (and charge adapter) and can listen to whatever I play on my phone, from Pandora to streaming radio, Amazon cloud player, MLB At Bat, whatever is playing will pass to the car's audio system when the ipod input is selected.

The following users liked this post:
Rw99 (11-19-2013)
Old 11-19-2013, 10:23 AM

Sounds promising, Byte. I'll pick up a Lightning adapter and report back on functionality in my '12... thanks for posting.

Rich

Old 11-19-2013, 11:04 AM

No problem Rich,

Here are the two items I used.

Amazon.com: Apple Lightning to 30-Pin Adapter (0.2M): MP3 Players & Accessories Amazon.com: Apple Lightning to 30-Pin Adapter (0.2M): MP3 Players & Accessories

Make SURE it's an Apple cable though that passes audio, usb audio, sync's and charges.

I used a 30 pin extension cable with male/female ends and on the male end attached one of these:

Amazon.com: CableJive dockStubz+ Charge Converter and 30-pin Pass Through Adapter for iPhone, iPod, and iPad: Electronics Amazon.com: CableJive dockStubz+ Charge Converter and 30-pin Pass Through Adapter for iPhone, iPod, and iPad: Electronics

So the car charges the phone as well - not sure if you'll need that for the 2012 though.

This weekend I also followed these instructions: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ashtray-95251/

to route the cables under the console so the male end of the lightning adapter is now hidden in the ashtray when not in use.

It ends up being the perfect length to plug into the bottom of the phone which is held by this little AWESOME device!

Amazon.com: InfiniApps Slyde CD Slot Mount for Smartphones, Cradle-less Universal cell phone holder with Quick-snap technology, magnetic cell phone mount: Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: InfiniApps Slyde CD Slot Mount for Smartphones, Cradle-less Universal cell phone holder with Quick-snap technology, magnetic cell phone mount: Cell Phones & Accessories

Right in the CD tray in easy view and reach! I did use torx bits to unscrew the shift console and ash tray to make moving the cables around under there and getting them routed the way I wanted easier. All told it took about 20 minutes to do. I did NOT go so far as to mold the phone butt into the ashtray, that seemed a bit too ambitious for me!

Enjoy!

Brian.

Ashlandalan (07-04-2015)
Old 11-19-2013, 11:05 AM
Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

I don't listen to Pandora though I can understand why people do .. Pandora basically does not pay the artists what it supposed to pay them for the use of their songs .. Only the CEO of the company make money .. That's why many artists such as Pink Floyd have filed a lawsuit against them...
iTunes and Sirius pay more so I have to decided to support Sirius XM

Old 11-19-2013, 09:40 PM

Mmmkay. Nick Mason seems to be doing quite well, last I checked...

Anyway, browsing the various adapters available, I see there's a USB-to-Lightning cable. Has anyone used the USB connection in their late-model XKR/XK to access streaming output from their iPhone? I just assumed that USB connection was limited to simple mass storage, file folder structures...

Rich

Old 11-20-2013, 09:54 AM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

As far as I can tell, the USB connection only charges the phone. No audio passes through.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:47 AM

Correct, USB connectivity to an iPhone does not pass audio. Have to use the ipod connection to pass any audio at all.

I hesitate to even respond to Terry007, but, REALLY? I've had to buy 4-5 copies of dark side of the moon. Vinyl, cassette, CD, limited edition CD, etc. So, tough, they didn't care that I'd already bought a license to listen to the music in one format - I had to buy the license again in another format. Not to mention, I've BOUGHT more music as a result of listening to Pandora and being exposed to new music and artists than I would have just listening to the same ole drivel on the radio or simply listening to music I already own. My 2 PSI.

Old 11-20-2013, 11:20 AM
Received 134 Likes on 102 Posts

I do Pandora through my bluetooth and it sounds great. Samsung Galaxy S4 > Iphone.

Old 11-20-2013, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by R_Rated
I do Pandora through my bluetooth and it sounds great. Samsung Galaxy S4 > Iphone.
Very cool, I agree... the way things SHOULD work!

Old 07-04-2015, 12:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Photo of iPhone in XK

Brian, thanks for the info. I just got an awesome 2010 metallic red XKR. I would really appreciate a photo showing your phone installed in your CD mount. Thanks, Alan

It ends up being the perfect length to plug into the bottom of the phone which is held by this little AWESOME device!

Amazon.com: InfiniApps Slyde CD Slot Mount for Smartphones, Cradle-less Universal cell phone holder with Quick-snap technology, magnetic cell phone mount: Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: InfiniApps Slyde CD Slot Mount for Smartphones, Cradle-less Universal cell phone holder with Quick-snap technology, magnetic cell phone mount: Cell Phones & Accessories

Right in the CD tray in easy view and reach! I did use torx bits to unscrew the shift console and ash tray to make moving the cables around under there and getting them routed the way I wanted easier. All told it took about 20 minutes to do. I did NOT go so far as to mold the phone butt into the ashtray, that seemed a bit too ambitious for me!

Enjoy!

Brian.[/QUOTE]

ralphwg (07-04-2015)
Old 07-06-2015, 09:26 AM

Alan,

Here's a shot of the holder sans phone because I needed it to take the picture! It's in a perfect spot to keep track of Waze, stay plugged in and charging or stream anything I'm playing.

Old 07-06-2015, 10:39 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Photo

Thanks Brian. Any trouble accessing the touch screen?

Old 07-06-2015, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Ashlandalan
Thanks Brian. Any trouble accessing the touch screen?
No, not with an iphone 5 in there. The top of the phone doesn't come up much further than the top of the magnet circle in the picture. I can easily access everything but the <-- arrow in the bottom right and hitting that only requires reaching around the phone to the right a bit.

Old 07-06-2015, 03:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

Looks like the CD-slot holder might block access to the hazard switch, especially if you want to find it fast - how accessible is it?