XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Passenger seat won't tilt forward

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 07:01 PM
Received 153 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Passenger seat won't tilt forward

Everything else appears to be in working order. I am in the process of installing the remote top be option so my battery will be disconnected, hopefully this resets it.

Old 04-16-2019, 07:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,160 Likes on 3,090 Posts

While the battery is disconnected, touch the positive and negative leads together for a couple seconds to ensure all modules are discharged. This may help your problem.

More likely, the seat module needs to be reflashed/programmed using SDD through maybe a dealer or anyone who has access to Jaguar's SDD hardware/software.

The following 2 users liked this post by Cee Jay:
Canadacat (04-17-2019), George05 (05-09-2020)
Old 04-17-2019, 12:13 PM
Received 198 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Canadacat
Everything else appears to be in working order. I am in the process of installing the remote top be option so my battery will be disconnected, hopefully this resets it.
Do you mean the seat won't tilt electrically or the seat back won't tilt forward to allow access to the back seat?

Old 04-17-2019, 12:16 PM

electrically

Old 04-17-2019, 12:33 PM
Received 198 Likes on 140 Posts

I agree with CJ, it will likely take a re-flash f the seat controller. There are several instances of the problem on the forum. Do a search on seat controller.

Old 04-17-2019, 12:54 PM

Yah I have and if doesn't reset itself by disconnecting the battery that is what I will do.

Old 04-17-2019, 02:46 PM
Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts

Definitely a dealer reset

Old 04-19-2019, 05:35 PM

If dealer flash doesn't work is there a way to manually bring seat to a proper level till I get around to fixing be it?

Old 05-09-2020, 02:32 PM
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Canadacat
Interestingly, this just happened to me as well.
I don't have a dealer nearby, so I'll first see what i can determine first.
I'm wondering if it isn't a broken gear.
I'm gonna tear into it in the next few days.
I'll let you know what I find, and I'd appreciate if you let me know if the problem is fixed by the "dealer flash".

Good luck and cheers!

Old 05-09-2020, 05:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 407 Likes on 279 Posts

Could be just a fuse , check out the location of said fuse and replace see if that works

Old 05-09-2020, 08:54 PM
Received 117 Likes on 62 Posts

In Central Junction Box: F9 or F28 or F29...

Do you get any movement at all, or is dead in the water??

Last edited by Tracee; 05-09-2020 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Added question
Old 05-10-2020, 08:52 PM

Will keep going back just not forward

Old 05-11-2020, 03:22 AM
Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

It sounds like the motor has lost its reference points of where to operate.
It might be worth trying to reset these parameters
Select one of the memory settings say button one then hold as if you are resetting for a few seconds
Then try to move seat forward as you hopefully will have the set the backward parameter.

There is a name for electric motors remembering their operating parameters but I can’t recall what it’s called

It used to happen on my previous MBenz and this was always the fix.

Old 05-11-2020, 04:20 PM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,010 Likes on 717 Posts

As @Cee Jay says: reflashed/programmed using SDD. This is a common issue.

Old 05-12-2020, 12:17 PM

So screwed with button s seat is now horizontal and dealer can't see it until June 1 , aagh.

The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (05-12-2020)
Old 05-12-2020, 06:09 PM

Yikes!!! Well, if you're really up against it, and feel adventurous, try this method I used to run the incline motor up to mid-position. You have to get access to the plugs on the passenger seat module, which lives under the front bottom of the seat. You have to undo the two front bolts holding the seat to the floor. Ideally, you also have to unbolt or at least loosen the two rear bolts holding the seat to the floor. I realize you might not have access to the rears 'cuz the seat might be declined too far. The idea is to get enough clearance so you can unplug the connectors going to the seat module.
To be safe, I unplugged all three (as I remember...) connectors from the module. Now, you have to locate two pins on connector PS017 - might be the largest of the connectors (my memory?). You're looking for pins 8 and 9: should have a blue and a green/blue wire, respectively. These connect (eventually) to the Hall-Effect motor controlling tilt. You're going to apply battery voltage to these two pins; polarity unimportant right now - if seat goes the wrong way, then reverse polarity until seat is now inclined mid-position. Restore all connectors, bolt seat back down, and you should be good-to-go.

I included the schematic if you'd like to follow. Again, it's a Kamikaze method if you're up to it...

The following 3 users liked this post by Tracee:
ETexJag (05-31-2020), peterv8 (05-12-2020), V7Sport (05-12-2020)
Old 05-12-2020, 08:11 PM

Thx Tracee way to much for me. I was able to release seat by chrome hooks on top ( what u use to lean seat forward) and then back seat up so back rest on rear quarter
Hard to explain but seat is upright but not locked in, will have to do for now.

Old 05-31-2020, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Tracee
Yikes!!! Well, if you're really up against it, and feel adventurous, try this method I used to run the incline motor up to mid-position. You have to get access to the plugs on the passenger seat module, which lives under the front bottom of the seat. You have to undo the two front bolts holding the seat to the floor. Ideally, you also have to unbolt or at least loosen the two rear bolts holding the seat to the floor. I realize you might not have access to the rears 'cuz the seat might be declined too far. The idea is to get enough clearance so you can unplug the connectors going to the seat module.
To be safe, I unplugged all three (as I remember...) connectors from the module. Now, you have to locate two pins on connector PS017 - might be the largest of the connectors (my memory?). You're looking for pins 8 and 9: should have a blue and a green/blue wire, respectively. These connect (eventually) to the Hall-Effect motor controlling tilt. You're going to apply battery voltage to these two pins; polarity unimportant right now - if seat goes the wrong way, then reverse polarity until seat is now inclined mid-position. Restore all connectors, bolt seat back down, and you should be good-to-go.

I included the schematic if you'd like to follow. Again, it's a Kamikaze method if you're up to it...
Thanks, Tracee -
I thought I'd give this a try, but I'm not seeing the blue and a green/blue wires - below is what I'm seeing.
Interestingly, there is not a plug going into the middle socket of the module, and the module mounts are broken - wonder if the previous owner had an issue also.

Any more hints?

Cheers!

Old 05-31-2020, 12:35 PM

It you look closely at the plug(s), there are tiny (really tiny) numbers showing the pin numbers. Maybe see what colour wires are on these pins (8 and 9). Should be fairly heavy wires - those motors pull a lot of current. As memory serves, I had (3) plugs on that module; will study schematic for a while and update...

Old 06-13-2020, 04:29 PM

only one of the wires in 8 and 9 are heavy wires -
put the seat back in the car - i can hear the motor for both directions -
may have a different issue than op - may be a broken gear - will need to tear into the seat,
but that's a project for another day -
thanks for your suggestions - cheers!

Quick Reply: Passenger seat won't tilt forward