XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Prepurchase inspection

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 05:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Prepurchase inspection

I'm looking at an XKR and want to have a pre purchase inspection done. So, what's the best plan, a firm like Lemon Squad or a local Jaguar dealer? And what should that cost? Advice welcome.

Old 06-28-2017, 05:35 PM
Received 128 Likes on 89 Posts

I would suspect that only a Jaguar dealer or a shop that works on Jaguars would even know what to look for. The downside would be the cost of a dealer at $120 an hour and a code reading that that only they can do.

The following users liked this post:
chazaroo (06-29-2017)
Old 06-28-2017, 10:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 893 Posts

I would go with the best local (to the car) Jaguar dealer you can find. In addition, I think I would have a jaguar approved body shop check out the body. Total cost should not exceed $500. If either should find something you should be able to get the seller to make the necessary repairs or reduce the price by the cost of the repairs.

chazaroo (06-29-2017)
Old 06-28-2017, 11:23 PM
Received 333 Likes on 201 Posts

After you complete the inspection, hand the owner $10 bucks and tell him you want to leave the car on for an hour. You would be surprised what can happen within 60 minutes. Been there done that.

chazaroo (06-29-2017)
Old 06-29-2017, 09:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,164 Likes on 2,334 Posts

I think not only a Jag Dealer, but you should also be specific as to what you want inspected. They will do a minimal or thorough inspection like anyone else. You have to direct them to meet your expectations.

One of the cars I purchased was too old to be pre-certified, but I told them to complete a pre-cert inspection. Cost was $250 about 6 years ago.

I also provided a list of known issues for the specific vehicle. For the XK, this forum has the heavy hitters.

I would also insist on full maintenance history (not carfax) from the PO or owners.

If you provide the year and vert/coupe, most here can help you with specifics to have inspected.

chazaroo (07-02-2017)
Old 06-29-2017, 09:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

How old is the car? Is it under warranty? How complete are the service records? I would worry more about the body than the engine. Dealer in general is a good option unless there is a high end indy place you could go.

I would lean towards body shop first, then indy for mechanicals.

Old 07-02-2017, 06:05 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
How old is the car? Is it under warranty? How complete are the service records? I would worry more about the body than the engine. Dealer in general is a good option unless there is a high end indy place you could go.

I would lean towards body shop first, then indy for mechanicals.
Seven years old, two owners, under 21000 miles. The Jaguar dealership there doesn't have a body shop but I can probably find one to check it out and let me know if there's been any paint work. As for service records, I'll have to see if the Jaguar dealership has records. The car is at a different dealership but it's a local car not an auction.

Old 07-02-2017, 06:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Sean W
I think not only a Jag Dealer, but you should also be specific as to what you want inspected. They will do a minimal or thorough inspection like anyone else. You have to direct them to meet your expectations.

One of the cars I purchased was too old to be pre-certified, but I told them to complete a pre-cert inspection. Cost was $250 about 6 years ago.

I also provided a list of known issues for the specific vehicle. For the XK, this forum has the heavy hitters.

I would also insist on full maintenance history (not carfax) from the PO or owners.

If you provide the year and vert/coupe, most here can help you with specifics to have inspected.
GREAT IDEA! The inspection they were going to do was the low end one. I had'ntthought about a CPO inspection. I'll request that in the morning. THANKS

Old 07-02-2017, 07:41 PM
Veteran Member

I should also mention that when the 2nd owner bought the car in 2013, it was a CPO. I'm assuming that means there will be some Jaguar Dealer records that can be pulled up. Right?

Last edited by chazaroo; 07-03-2017 at 05:42 AM.
Old 07-05-2017, 02:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Have you tried calling local Euro-car mechanics?

I recently bought my XKR in Fort Worth. I called the nearest local European - only repair shop, gave them the last 8 numbers of the VIN, and sure enough, old boy had been there to service the car! Learned that the bumper was "reattached" there after a failed attempt to put an aftermarket diffuser on it, as well as an a/c issue. The seller had the AC rebuilt by a mechanic and reinstalled at another location. At least I knew to ask the question!

'05 Chrysler 300C

chazaroo (07-05-2017)
Old 07-05-2017, 03:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,164 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by chazaroo
I should also mention that when the 2nd owner bought the car in 2013, it was a CPO. I'm assuming that means there will be some Jaguar Dealer records that can be pulled up. Right?
Yes, pull up the carfax, get the name of the dealer, give them a call and have them send you the history via email. If they push back, have the PO call them.

There's been a lot of jibber jabber about dealerships and shops sending out vehicle history indicating privacy issues. This is absolute bunk. It's a car, not your medical records. If they get hung up on it, have them de-identify the owner.

I've never had an issue with getting full histories from any garage. All sent via email immediately.

Old 07-05-2017, 03:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by TomcatJag
I recently bought my XKR in Fort Worth. I called the nearest local European - only repair shop, gave them the last 8 numbers of the VIN, and sure enough, old boy had been there to service the car! Learned that the bumper was "reattached" there after a failed attempt to put an aftermarket diffuser on it, as well as an a/c issue. The seller had the AC rebuilt by a mechanic and reinstalled at another location. At least I knew to ask the question!

'05 Chrysler 300C
I just talked to the Jaguar dealer doing the PPI. Turns out they've been servicing the car. I'm waiting for the report now but they say all it needs would be new tires. Not that they're bad but they're five years old.

Old 07-05-2017, 06:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts

Chazaroo. Is the car you are considering local or out of town? Sorry, but I didn't get that part which is important. Did you see and touch this car?

Old 07-05-2017, 09:54 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello, I'm a Honda owner looking at a 2014 XK Coupe, 51,000 miles, one owner, coming off a 3-year lease, clean CARFAX, drives beautifully, nothing odd at all visible. I can't find these answers on the XK forum (maybe I missed it somewhere), but if someone could help me:
- If I can get the local Jaguar dealership to do a PPI, are there typical "known 2014 issues" that they're looking for (just so I can get familiar with it)?
- If I CAN'T get the local Jaguar dealership to do the PPI, is there a shortlist of recommended things that I should inspect for, other than tires/leaks/noises?

The car is being sold by an "international autos" dealer, and this is the first used car I've ever bought. Thank you for any help!

Old 07-06-2017, 08:39 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by stevem69
Hello, I'm a Honda owner looking at a 2014 XK Coupe, 51,000 miles, one owner, coming off a 3-year lease, clean CARFAX, drives beautifully, nothing odd at all visible. I can't find these answers on the XK forum (maybe I missed it somewhere), but if someone could help me:
- If I can get the local Jaguar dealership to do a PPI, are there typical "known 2014 issues" that they're looking for (just so I can get familiar with it)?
- If I CAN'T get the local Jaguar dealership to do the PPI, is there a shortlist of recommended things that I should inspect for, other than tires/leaks/noises?

The car is being sold by an "international autos" dealer, and this is the first used car I've ever bought. Thank you for any help!
If the car is no longer on warranty, I would plan on saving for some servicing. Water pumps can be an issue, there are threads on that. Not a huge expense if you need to pay out of pocket.

At 50K+, I would suggest a transmission plan/fluid change. When was the last time the brake fluid was changed? If you don't have a record; change the brake fluid. XK's are robust cars and I find whenever a car changes hands, something comes up... Nothing particular to Jaguar, but with all cars in my experience.

Old 07-06-2017, 11:18 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi mosesbotbol, thank you for the reply -- great advice! It's a little odd for me, having never bought a used car before, so I appreciate this and any other advice!

Old 07-06-2017, 02:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by stevem69
Hi mosesbotbol, thank you for the reply -- great advice! It's a little odd for me, having never bought a used car before, so I appreciate this and any other advice!
Imagine buying a used car like this sight unseen...

Old 07-06-2017, 04:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts

Personally I could NEVER imagine that scenario,

Old 07-06-2017, 06:07 PM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

If you care about dings, make sure you see the car at dusk or night...or pull into a garage with the right lighting so you can look for those small ones that take just the right angle to find. I did a walk around and just pointed out some paint chips that needed repair on the bumper and missed about 8 dings. They're minor, but annoying to know there.
A CPO should have all the info and have been taken care of. Think of those miles as someone else taking care of some early problems...but check on the list of recalls, etc.

Old 07-06-2017, 06:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

its not a problem brother; thats how the dealers do it.
If the ownership history is right, and If the price is right, Bob's your uncle.

You know more about the reliability for the next 100,000 miles of a used car than you do a brand new one. Based entirely on its history of passing a 50,000 mile road test.

Consider the alternative. You buy a car with 5k miles- guess what none of the lemon laws apply. And because its depreciated little, you dont have the buffer to pay for a new wiring harness.

Or, a newish car has 10k miles on it, used as a limo in Manhattan and drift car on the weekends by the chauffeur. This car's troubles will not show up till another 40k miles. But it will look perfect on physical inspection.

Its a number's game- thats why an extended warranty company will give you $50k worth of warranty, sight unseen!

Sean W (07-06-2017)