XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Problems, problems, problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 11:30 AM
Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Problems, problems, problems

It's clearly time for me to get rid of my 2007 XKR. At nearly 110K miles this week has been one to forget, with a ruined rear tyre, a faulty wing mirror, a suspect aircon issue and now a flat battery!

Having had a new Hormann garage door fitted last weekend, it became obvious fairly quickly that the factory fitted garage transmitter wasn't going to play with the new bisecure remotes that Hormann use. A bit of research and a few emails later and I learnt that my car is fitted with a HomeLink system (V6 I believe) that is definitely not compatible with the newer Hormann remotes and that I would need to install a HomeLink Universal Receiver, which connects up to the "push" button mechanism of the new electric door and "bypasses" the Hormann receiver so my Jaguar HomeLink transmitter will talk to the HomeLink Receiver and operate the door.

The HomeLink receiver arrived this morning and within 20 minutes it was fitted and the Test button confirmed it worked.

Unfortunately, that's as far as I got as after 30 minutes of trying every possible combination to try to program the Jag's HomeLink transmitter to work with the new HomeLink receiver, the car battery went flat! Now this battery is just over 2 years old and is a Varta Silver Dynamic 019 100Ah, so it is surprising it has so little juice in it. The car is used every day and travels 50 miles on mainly back roads, so it isn't an issue with irregular use.

I have a number of questions:

1. Is it expected to get a flat battery after 30 minutes of using the car in "convenience" mode i.e. sat in my garage with the ignition on and the door open while pressing the garage buttons? Note: the engine was NOT running as the programming instruction specifically state it shouldn't be (not sure why this would make a difference - apart from stopping the battery going flat).

2. I currently have the battery on charge using a friends charger, but I'm looking to purchase a battery charger/booster for myself. Can anyone recommend one that is adequate for this size engine/battery? If I had a booster, I could have started the car straight away, instead I'm unable to continue trying to program the garage transmitter until it has been left on charge overnight. I confess, I'm now concerned about trying to continue to program the transmitter as the battery is likely to go flat again!

3. Any pointers on getting the HomeLink transmitter to talk to a HomeLink Universal receiver? I suspect another email to HomeLink will be required, but they won't respond until Monday at the earliest. The instructions that came with the Universal Receiver are different to those in my car manual, but neither seem to work! Very, very frustrating! It's not rocket science!

4. My newish Samsung Galaxy S6 won't pair with my Jag and Jaguar aren't interested. Ce la vie I guess, but this kind of lack of support puts me off buying another Jaguar (this is my first). Just thought I'd throw this question in, but it is less of a concern than the state of the battery and the garage door transmitter PS. Why is it that when I buy a new, state of the art mobile phone, a replacement model is announced within weeks!

Thanks in advance for any pointers that will help me get out of my current state of depression with my Jag.

Old 03-05-2016, 11:39 AM
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,784 Posts

What is the age of the battery currently installed? If it is the original, it must be replaced.

Many of the newer smart phones and other devices are not compatible with the X150.

Old 03-05-2016, 12:18 PM

Do you mean the battery in the remote control? If so, according to the HomeLink Universal Receiver instructions, the hand held remote isn't required for programming:

1. In your vehicle, simultaneously press and HOLD all 3 transmitter buttons for 30 seconds. (The HomeLink light will remain steady for 20 seconds, will then flash for 10 seconds, and then turn off.). This works perfectly as stated!
2. Release the 3 buttons after the HomeLink light turns off.
3. At the receiver site, open the cover (this is the cover of the new Universal Receiver) and press and release the program button for channel A. The indicator light for Channel A will turn on for 30 seconds. Also, no problem doing this, the indicator light comes on when pressing the "Learn" button.
4. In your vehicle, press the desired transmitter button within 30 seconds. The receiver's indicator light will turn off. This happens (the receiver's indicator light turns off), however, the car transmitter button does not operate the garage door.

As you can see, for these programming instructions, no sign of a hand held remote!

The ones in the car manual do talk about using a hand held remote to program the car transmitter, but this also doesn't work.

I should point out that the car transmitter worked perfectly for 8 years with the old garage door mechanism, so I know the transmitter is in working order. You would think that given the factory fitted transmitter was made by HomeLink and the Universal Receiver is made and supplied by HomeLink, that there would be no problem getting them to talk to each other. If only!!!

The following users liked this post:
007XKR (10-02-2020)
Old 03-05-2016, 12:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

The car draws at least 10A when just sitting in Ignition Mode (switched on but not running), significantly more if you have the door open and thus have the interior lights on. That will definitely take a bite out of your battery reserve, and if it wasn't fully charged to start with, could leave it without enough juice to crank.

Re chargers: just do a search for 'CTEK' on the forum. That's the manufacturer supplied by Jaguar (at an inflated price), but I can't recall the current favourite model. Owners swear by them; I don't have a garage, so can't use one.

Old 03-05-2016, 01:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,836 Likes on 1,231 Posts

First I would make sure that the homelink transmitter opens and closes the new garage door. Then use the instructions from the homelink web site detailing how to program a "roaming code" dooe opener. You need to use the homelink transmitter to do this. Do not use the Jaguar OM method. Next the Samsung phone should pair and unless it is different when the Jag asks for a code to pair put in 0000 . This should work also. Now the battery problem if you have a 3-4 year old battery in your Jag most likely you have killed it from trying to make the homelink work. After you charge it up remove the charger and check it about an hour later with a volt meter and see what your voltage is. It should be between 12.4 to 13.0 volts. If lower you'll need to replace the battery. Now if it is OK and you want to try to make the homelink work leave the battery charger on the car as you are working on the homelink. Next is the smart charger . A lot of us use the Ctek charger and there are a few different models. I just purchased the MSU 4.3 8 step charger but others may chime in here with their selection. Good luck.

Old 03-05-2016, 01:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,122 Likes on 795 Posts

Bluetooth code code on mine is 1313

Old 03-05-2016, 01:55 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ngarara
Bluetooth code code on mine is 1313
OOPs wrong car and yes it is 1313. Also make sure you go into your Samsung tools and under Bluetooth check the Only visible to paired devices box when you are pairing.

Old 03-05-2016, 02:13 PM
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,784 Posts

Originally Posted by milleniumaire
Do you mean the battery in the remote control?...
What is the age of the 12 volt battery that powers the vehicle, not the remote devices?

Old 03-05-2016, 02:26 PM
Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts

After you program the car to learn the garage remote, you need to manually sync it to your opener motor using the programming button on the opener motor. Every home link module I've ever read the owners manual says in most cases the final step of programming directly to the motor shouldn't be necessary, but I've never had one work for me without doing the remote to home link programming followed by the garage door motor to home link programming. Make sure to follow the manual that came with your garage door motor to do this step and treat the home link system as if it is a standard remote because your motor will see it as one.

The issue is that even though home link has learned the coding language of the remote, the motor doesn't recognize the remote's code so it ignores the input. The motor can tell it is a different device sending the signal.

Old 03-05-2016, 02:48 PM
Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

you think these are problems? try owning a Ferrari.

steve_k_xk (03-08-2016)
Old 03-05-2016, 03:20 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ferraripete
you think these are problems? try owning a Ferrari.
Been there , 77 308 GTB

steve_k_xk (03-08-2016)
Old 03-05-2016, 04:07 PM
Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Been there , 77 308 GTB
one of the prettiest modern era Ferraris period. a jewel of a car...maintenance notwithstanding

jagtoes (03-05-2016)
Old 03-06-2016, 12:37 AM
Received 333 Likes on 201 Posts

Sorry, but in the world of technology it is up to the manufacturers: Hormann and Samsung to have backwards compatibility with older products- not the other way around. This is not Jaguars fault. You need to get on their cases for making an incompatible product and THEIR lack of support. Why not just use the Android app to open and close your garage door or the provided remote that they are supposed to supply? As for the battery, tire and air conditioner - those are easy fixes that any good Jaguar dealer can handle. Jaguars - like any other car have issues from time to time, yours are hardly a reason to get rid of it.

Last edited by michaelodonnell123; 03-06-2016 at 12:40 AM.
Old 03-06-2016, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by NBCat
What is the age of the 12 volt battery that powers the vehicle, not the remote devices?
Sorry, I was being very dim, of course you meant the car battery! The battery was installed in November 2013, so is just over 2 years old.

Old 03-06-2016, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by Torrid
After you program the car to learn the garage remote.....
Torrid, I don't believe this is necessary or even possible as the new Hofmann remotes are bisecure, so aren't compatible with the old HomeLink system fitted to my car. That's why I had to purchase the Universal Receiver from HomeLink. The instructions that come with the Universal Receiver are straight forward and don't mention anything about using the existing remotes. They simply give directions for the Universal Receiver to"learn" from the cat transmitter. As simple as these instructions are, it hasn't worked yet after 30 minutes of trying, so something isn't right.

Old 03-06-2016, 04:53 AM

jagtoes, is it really okay to use the car while the charger is connects to it? All the instructions I've read state the battery should be disconnected while on charge. It has been charging overnight, but haven't had chance to check it yet - will get my multimeter out.
I've seen the CTEC chargers, but they are described as "conditional", which I believe means they are designed to give a trickle charge over a long period of time. I'm after a "quick" charger/starter, something that will allow me to start the car from the charger and which I can use to quickly charge up the battery over a couple of hours.

Old 03-06-2016, 05:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 6,141 Likes on 3,384 Posts

millenniumaire,

See my post #7 in this thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-opener-52228/ for detailed, step-by-step instructions on how to program your your Homelink transmitter.

Let us know if this works.

Stuart

Old 03-06-2016, 06:15 AM

Hi Stuart,

I've read your thread and this is basically a repeat of the instructions in my manual, which I have followed numerous times without success.

The first issue I have with the manual instructions is they talk about learning the code from the garage door remote. Well, in my case I "know" this will NOT work as the new garage door remote uses a bisecure code that my car HomeLink transmitter is NOT compatible with. I have been told this by both HomeLink and by Hormann and have also determined it by using the HomeLink compatibility web page.

So, following the instructions to teach my car transmitter the code of the garage door remote WILL NEVER WORK. This is the reason HomeLink recommended I purchase their Universal Receiver as this essentially bi-passes the remote receiver on the new Hormann garage door. It is wired into the "Push button" connections on the electric door motor using bell wire. The Universal Receiver has a test button and when pressed, the doors operate, so this proves that the bell wire is connected correctly. The Universal Receiver also has a learn button, with instructions on how to program it to learn the code transmitted by the cars HomeLink transmitter.

This is where I'm getting a little confused about all the different instructions I've read. The instructions that came with the HomeLink receiver are very straight forward. They do NOT say anything about learning the code from an existing remote transmitter - why would they? The whole point of using the Universal HomeLink receiver is to work around remote transmitters not working with the car, i.e. to bypass the remote codes that are generated by the remotes that are not compatible with the cars HomeLink system!!!!

Despite being really simple, I have followed these instructions multiple times without success. The instructions appear to be a way of teaching the Universal HomeLink receiver the code used by the car's HomeLink transmitter, however, if I have initialised the car's HomeLink transmitter by pressing buttons 1 and 2 (as described), surely the car is no longer producing a code, so what code would the Universal HomeLink receiver learn?

For something so simple, I'm either being completely thick, or the HomeLink instructions are just plain wrong. I suppose the other possibility is that the Universal HomeLink receiver is broken!

The car battery has now charged so I'm going to try again....

Old 03-06-2016, 06:22 AM

I'm looking at the following battery charger/starter:

Clarke BC190 Battery Starter Charger

Clarke BC210C Battery Starter Charger

The first is a quicker charger than the second, which provides a larger "boost".

Given my car is fitted with a Varta Silver Dynamic 019 100Ah, I'm assuming that anything that can produce over a 100Ah boost will be able to start the car when it has a flat battery, so either of these chargers/boosters would be very adequate.

Old 03-06-2016, 06:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,894 Likes on 1,285 Posts

Originally Posted by milleniumaire
The first issue I have with the manual instructions is they talk about learning the code from the garage door remote.
I suspect those instructions are for pairing existing HomeLink compatible remote transmitters when you are using the Universal receiver to bypass a dead receiver in the door opener. A cheaper solution than replacing the whole opener.

Quick Reply: Problems, problems, problems