XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Purchase Select Edition Warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 02:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts
Default Purchase Select Edition Warranty?

Just bought a 2009 XK XKR Portfolio Edition with 13,500 miles. It is out of the factory warranty (4 yr/50,000 Mile) and only has corrosion warranty left. I am considering buying the Jaguar Select Edition warranty. Any indication of cost? Does the cost vary from dealer to dealer for the contract? I would like to keep the car for about 2 years then move up into a later model. Do I buy the warranty, or go without? since it has such low mileage. I am new to the brand, so any input into this matter will be very helpful. I am located in southern New Mexico and the only Jag dealer is in El Paso, TX about 50 miles away. I am open to all opinions and advice. I have read through all the postings on this thread, both good experiences and bad experinces.

Old 05-29-2013, 04:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,425 Likes on 1,937 Posts

Originally Posted by richzak
Just bought a 2009 XK XKR Portfolio Edition with 13,500 miles. It is out of the factory warranty (4 yr/50,000 Mile) and only has corrosion warranty left. I am considering buying the Jaguar Select Edition warranty. Any indication of cost? Does the cost vary from dealer to dealer for the contract? I would like to keep the car for about 2 years then move up into a later model. Do I buy the warranty, or go without? since it has such low mileage. I am new to the brand, so any input into this matter will be very helpful. I am located in southern New Mexico and the only Jag dealer is in El Paso, TX about 50 miles away. I am open to all opinions and advice. I have read through all the postings on this thread, both good experiences and bad experiences.
Did you buy the car from a Jaguar dealer ? It is my understanding the Select Edition warranty is only available at the dealer on a car they sell and have inspected to satisfy Jaguar is it suitable for cover.

AFAIK these official warranties are very expensive, and you might be better off with a commercial warranty covering major components only. My local indie says the aluminium XKs are very good and they don't get many issues at all. True or not, I don't know, but they have no axe to grind.

Old 05-30-2013, 12:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,228 Likes on 788 Posts

The Jaguar warranty expired on 1-30-2013, so the Jag is NOT eligible for the Jaguar Select Edition warranty direct from Jaguar. The dealership in El Paso, TX ( the closest to me) suggested a third party warranty (Fidelity) that will add 3 years and 36,000 additional miles for a cost of $2495.00. This warranty is only sold through auto dealerships. Of course there are exclusions to the contract. Normal wear and tear items are not covered. In my research today, I found reliability and dependability ratings for the XK Jag's, and they are quite high for reliability. The car was inspected and went through all normal inspections and any maintence was completed at West Palm Beach Jaguar in Florida. This is according to the CarFax and AutoCheck car reports that are available on the car. My understanding they are the number #1 Jaguar dealer in the USA. So I am considering driving it perhaps 7000 miles a year for about 2 years then sell it and move on to a later year XK. The car 2009 only has 13,500 miles on it. The is in showroom, mint condition and the XKR Portfolio Edition. So I just may forget the third party warranty. At least I found out what the price was from the Jaguar dealer, and this is for the top of the line Platinum service, no delay time with $100 deductible. Most other third party warranties (CarChex and Direct Buy Warranty) has 30 day and 1000 mile delay before their warranties kick in.

Any other input, or ideas are most welcome. I am going to call the dealership in West Palm Beach who did all service and try to get reports on exactly what service was performed.

Thanks guys for the input, it is greatly appreciated.

Old 05-30-2013, 02:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Posts moved. Was in wrong section and peripheral to original post.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

I have purchased 3 aftermarket warranties over the years to the tune of about $12,600.00. The last one I purchased was for the 2007 XKR...I used it for a $47 repair once. I did get some of it back when I traded it for my 2010...but out of $4080 I got about $2700 back. So that $47 repair cost me about $1400...

The only one that I got a significant return on was the one for the 2005 VDP, which over the years we owned it we probably had $2000 to $3000 in repair costs. Most of that was suspension related repairs. The other two were just wasted money.

I have not purchased one on my 2010 XKR and will not be buying one on the 2011 XJL. These cars are very reliable, and as long as you keep them serviced properly and utilize the manufacturers warranty to take care of issues as they arise aftermarket warranties are a crap shoot in my opinion.

Personally I think you'd be better off taking the money you'd pay for an aftermarket warranty and put it in an interest bearing account, or save a monthly amount in a savings account for possible major repairs.

These cars are not cheap to repair, or sometime even to service. I guess it depends on your particular position as to whether a $4K repair would be devastating, a blip on the radar, or something in between.

The following users liked this post:
bystrange (07-07-2016)
Old 05-30-2013, 06:26 AM
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

My wife's XK has had about $4000 worth of warranty work on it in just over a year, the warranty cost us $1800 not a bod return as it is a 72 month warranty from car max. They have not questioned one repair and all work was carried out at our main dealer, I will never own a car again without a warranty as my 2004 XJR has no warranty and has now got to go as is costing too much in Electrical repairs.

The following 3 users liked this post by Robert Page:
amcdonal86 (05-30-2013), bystrange (07-07-2016), Lothar52 (05-31-2013)
Old 05-30-2013, 06:30 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Robert Page
My wife's XK has had about $4000 worth of warranty work on it in just over a year, the warranty cost us $1800 not a bod return as it is a 72 month warranty from car max. They have not questioned one repair and all work was carried out at our main dealer, I will never own a car again without a warranty as my 2004 XJR has no warranty and has now got to go as is costing too much in Electrical repairs.
What year XK is that?

Old 05-30-2013, 07:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Which warranty company is this?

I hardly drive any miles (300/month or so) so I wonder if I could get a relatively inexpensive warranty plan.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

The warranty will make it much easier to sell to a private party as long as you do so before it expires.

This is my 2nd Jag and I opted not to get a warranty. Last Jag I broke even or lost a little in the end...

Old 05-30-2013, 01:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Originally Posted by rscultho
Personally I think you'd be better off taking the money you'd pay for an aftermarket warranty and put it in an interest bearing account, or save a monthly amount in a savings account for possible major repairs.
Aftermarket warranties are a form of insurance. Insurance is essentially a bet. The house makes the rules, sets the odds and hates to lose.

Old 05-31-2013, 05:11 AM

My wife's XK is a 2007, if having a warranty is a bet or insurance I won. Our warranty is with Carmax which you by at the time of purchase, it's great and bumper to bumper and yes we had the car inspected by my main dealer before we purchased, Jaguar could not find us an XK and after 3 months ours came up at CarMax at a reasonable price and we asked our dealer what the warranty looked like and they said its fine go for it. We have had no problems with it at all.

Old 05-31-2013, 05:35 AM
Veteran Member

My wife's XK is a 2007, if having a warranty is a bet or insurance I won. Our warranty is with Carmax which you by at the time of purchase, it's great and bumper to bumper and yes we had the car inspected by my main dealer before we purchased, Jaguar could not find us an XK and after 3 months ours came up at CarMax at a reasonable price and we asked our dealer what the warranty looked like and they said its fine go for it. We have had no problems with it at all.
Wow...$4K in a year...what did they have to do to it? Just curious...that warranty paid off for you in a big way...you have already made the money back plus some...

Can you use Car Max warranties anywhere or do they do the work in their shop?

Old 05-31-2013, 05:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 85 Likes on 83 Posts

What is interesting is a way or another, they will get your money, and only 5% did not have to go through some repairs but had a warranty. For me the warranty are thief's and often dealer do not understand nothing. Good luck. I will never buy one myself. Just calculate how much in services brakes oil tires you will need to spend. You will tell me then, so it's worth buying a warranty for the rest, yes but if it does not work you are there paying maintenance warranty and paying the repair just like i did with 3 different warranty. But I am a rare case, but regular, I will always be ****ed up with cars...it is how it goes..., not only the warranty is often lengthy, they pissed out the dealers and if they have to send an expert you are there!

It has happened twice with an aftermarket warranty and once with the constructor Jaguar warranty, where not only they did not refund me but they never could diagnosed the car! cost 3500 euros under constructor warranty, expert cost 1200 euros, 5 different persons on the case not to find anything wrong, the control arms bushing were dead like ( 9 alignment, 2 column changed, 1 steering rack changed)..I crossed france to see this so called best dealer Le Port marly to ask them advices they did not find anything too. But here in Spain they did.

Jaguar approved to have the car towed away and they finally send me the invoice...with registered mail. on top of not refunding repair not diagnosting them, nothing. You name it!

a good theme title will be: what your warranty has not covered.

another time it was the distribution chain we had to reset it 3 times, the chain was elongated, the warranty never wanted to do anything and yes they killed 30 days waiting this so called expert. he was good at enjoying driving my car only, and told me it was like the motor was almost to die, he said the noise come from something hydraulic, while it was the chain and a pulley that needed to be changed. You see all these cases were the dealership do not understand nothing, would you expect the warranty to understand or their so called experts...lmao....

Last edited by jagxk2008; 05-31-2013 at 06:39 AM.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:10 PM

The XK needed new Roof motor and switches after the roof stuck half way up, new motor on Quarter light which stuck down, main fuse box after it shorted out, new throttle position sensor after throttle run away, new passenger side mirror unit it stuck in the down position. I think that is it! My XJR which has no warranty (I took the chance on it after dealer inspection) has had issues lately and if I had not found parts in the UK would of cost me $9000 yes you read right $9000 in the last 3 weeks it still has cost me $2000 and I will be looking to sell once I have fixed some remaining issues. I will never again buy a car with no warranty in fact in the next few weeks we will lease our first ever car. Electronics have killed the car as far as I am concerned. You cannot even do an oil change on the new F type or XF yourself as there is no drain plug and all fluids are sucked out by a special machine which only dealers will have.

Old 05-31-2013, 11:15 PM

Sorry, yes the work can be carried out where ever you want, you do get a discount on repairs if you go to Carmax but our local Carmax said because its a Jag they would just take it to the main dealer anyway, the Carmax is 20 miles away my main dealer is 5.

Old 06-01-2013, 06:50 AM
Veteran Member

You cannot even do an oil change on the new F type or XF yourself as there is no drain plug and all fluids are sucked out by a special machine which only dealers will have.
I thought all 5.0 V8's are same (in that respect) from Jag?

Old 03-16-2020, 11:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 560 Likes on 314 Posts

Oh and someone on here mentioned a Carmax warranty.
IF YOU SEE AN XK/XKR AT A CARMAX AND YOU LIKE IT, BUY IT FOR THE WARRANTY ALONE AND GET THE BEST ONE YOU CAN AFFORD.
Carmax warranties are ridiculously good-- particularly our cars.
Why? Because for a small additional fee ($100?) you can have the car serviced anywhere, not simply at a carmax. And they ALWAYS pay. So you'd essentially have a CPO'd car that you could have serviced at any Jaguar dealer. And if the dealership is any good at all, they'll COMB THROUGH the car to find anything else that might need attention-- because they also know that carmax will pay on it. (Carmax pays the service dept directly, it has nothing to do with you.)

Last edited by pk4144; 03-16-2020 at 11:40 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by pk4144:
guy (03-19-2020), mosesbotbol (03-19-2020), Queen and Country (03-17-2020), ralphwg (03-17-2020)
Old 03-19-2020, 08:12 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by pk4144
Oh and someone on here mentioned a Carmax warranty.
IF YOU SEE AN XK/XKR AT A CARMAX AND YOU LIKE IT, BUY IT FOR THE WARRANTY ALONE AND GET THE BEST ONE YOU CAN AFFORD.
Carmax warranties are ridiculously good-- particularly our cars.
Why? Because for a small additional fee ($100?) you can have the car serviced anywhere, not simply at a carmax. And they ALWAYS pay. So you'd essentially have a CPO'd car that you could have serviced at any Jaguar dealer. And if the dealership is any good at all, they'll COMB THROUGH the car to find anything else that might need attention-- because they also know that carmax will pay on it. (Carmax pays the service dept directly, it has nothing to do with you.)
I've seen articles where the goal was to buy the most troublesome fancy used car at Carmax so you'd know you had that warranty. They have a decent selection nationally of Porsche and Range Rover.

Old 03-19-2020, 04:53 PM
guy
Veteran Member
Received 1,007 Likes on 715 Posts

Thanks for the tip about carmax. Every jaguar I have purchased included the Jaguar Extended warranty of 6 years, 160,000 km.
One word: Wow!

Coupled with picking up on a flatbed, delivering a loaner, and fixing covered components at no charge: what’s the problem.
Other than tires and brakes, this has worked out very well for me.

Old 03-22-2020, 01:04 PM
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

The standard rule regarding purchase of insurance is to insure only against things that you couldn't cover yourself, e.g., your house burning down. The simple reason is the insurance companies know the statistic far better than you and charge you enough to cover that plus a substantial profit.

Quick Reply: Purchase Select Edition Warranty?