XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Question re Orona rims

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 12:52 AM
Received 231 Likes on 105 Posts
Default Question re Orona rims

My 2013 XKR has the Portfolio package with the polished 20" Orona rims, and I am contemplating refinishing them.

I saw another XK with the same rims but not polished and to me they looked much, much sharper. I couldn't get a good enough look to tell, and pics I've come across online aren't that great, so was wondering if someone on here can confirm if the standard Oronas are two-tone? From what I could see, the center of each spoke seems to be machined aluminum while the sides are a grey/gunmetal finish? On my polished Oronas, the whole rim is the same polished finish, which makes the spokes look sort of fat and vague while also showing every little bit of brake dust. But on the car I saw with the non-polished Oronas, the spokes seemed much more distinct and the wheels just looked lighter and more open in general. I'd like to do something similar with my polished rims. Any reason why this might be a bad idea? The rims on my wife's car have darker inner faces, and they look 10x cleaner since brake dust doesnt show on those faces.

Last edited by Simon Tan; 12-04-2017 at 12:59 AM.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

I think this is what you are looking for: https://www.ebay.com/i/292223870414?chn=ps

I have the same wheels as you have. I also am contemplating having something done to them for the same reason. I'm also think about getting the Whitley Wheels by Coventry. You can find them here and they come in a variety of finishes.
Jaguar Wheels - Jaguar Rims by Coventry

Please let us know what you decide to do.

The following users liked this post:
Simon Tan (12-07-2017)
Old 12-06-2017, 09:07 PM
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

My 2014 has these rims as you described and I can confirm that they are indeed two toned.
This picture, taken from an angle shows the contrast. I agree, it does make them seem sharper to the eye.

The following 2 users liked this post by BryanL:
ralphwg (12-07-2017), Simon Tan (12-07-2017)
Old 12-06-2017, 09:21 PM
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Simon Tan
I might also add that the “gunmetal grey” portion, as you describe, looks great with my Lunar Grey exterior color. Based on the photo of your car, you may have this same exterior color.

The following users liked this post:
Simon Tan (12-07-2017)
Old 12-07-2017, 12:05 AM
Received 231 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by BryanL
My 2014 has these rims as you described and I can confirm that they are indeed two toned.
This picture, taken from an angle shows the contrast. I agree, it does make them seem sharper to the eye.

Thanks for the photo, Bryan! The spokes do look much more defined with the two-tone treatment. Unfortunately, none of the shops I contacted felt confident about refinishing mine with contrasting colors. Maybe I can get lucky and find a set of takeoffs I can trade my polished ones for.