XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Radiator fans and Check pedestrian system / front parking sensors

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 07:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Radiator fans and Check pedestrian system / front parking sensors

Can anyone tell me if the radiator fans should come on when the A/C is switched on (I want to prove that the coolant fans work) also the A/C does not seem to be coming out very cold! (the A/C pump is kicking in as the RPM increases slightly)

Also have Check pedestrian assist which pops up often at start up and sometimes on longer drives. when this warning shows up the front parking sensors do not work. as the fault is not there all the time would a dealer diagnostic show up and locate the fault?

This is a family members car, I am trying to sort it after a jaguar dealer wanted to charge the 70 year old lady owner £16,500 to replace the engine!

Many thanks

Spence

Old 01-04-2018, 01:23 PM
Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts

Hi Spence -

What car do you have?

I'd update in your profile signature, makes it much easier for us to assist.

Old 01-04-2018, 03:18 PM

I will up date my sig asap.
the jag im working on is a 2009 XKR 5.0 supercharged.

I believe low batterys cause all sorts of issues. I have been charging a battery that has been flat in the car for about 6 months. Perhaps a good start is to fit a new battery.

As far as the cooling fans for the radiators go i understand the speeds are built into the motors. And the fans are controlled via ECU and aircon. I know its cold this time of year but i cannot get the fans to spin even with air con on cold. Is there anyway i can test them?

also the front parking sensors are giving me woes which mighy be todo with the "check pedestrian safety" warning which is there 50% of the time.

What should my battery read when connected? When i checked mine was 12.2v. Should i turn the ignition on and test for any voltage drop?

thanks for any help.

spencer

Old 01-04-2018, 10:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,183 Likes on 895 Posts

You need to replace the battery. It is reading below 12.5 at rest. There are multiple threads dealing with battery issues on this forum. I suggest you use the search box in the upper right corner of this page and go to some of the threads that are shown. When you do that you will find confirmation that a weak battery is the root of most electrical issues and that is what maybe causing your pedestrian assist to light up.

The following users liked this post:
trofeo2016 (01-04-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 10:27 PM
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,784 Posts

+1 on replacing the battery.

Have you checked the fan connections at the loom and the fuse that controls the circuit?

Refer to the Workshop Manual and Electrical Guide, which are available from various Internet vendors. Additional information can be found on:

JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

trofeo2016 (01-04-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 10:27 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ralphwg
You need to replace the battery. It is reading below 12.5 at rest. There are multiple threads dealing with battery issues on this forum. I suggest you use the search box in the upper right corner of this page and go to some of the threads that are shown. When you do that you will find confirmation that a weak battery is the root of most electrical issues and that is what maybe causing your pedestrian assist to light up.
Thanks, I have been looking at battery's and this was my next to-do (I will buy one today) Yuasa HSB019 ok?
would this have any impact on the fans? does anyone know when the radiator fans would normally work?

thanks

spencer

Old 01-04-2018, 10:32 PM

I have not yet checked the wiring harness for the fans - but I did look at the 100amp fan fuse which seems fine. Is that the correct fuse - seems high rated.I have the workshop manual on CD. It gives a good over view of the cooling system, I didn't notice any trouble shooting tips. I will have a better look. both fans spin freely when turned by hand.spence.

Trending Topics

Old 01-05-2018, 09:52 AM
GGG
Received 16,794 Likes on 12,165 Posts

Originally Posted by trofeo2016
..... Also have Check pedestrian assist which pops up often at start up and sometimes on longer drives. .....
The usual cause of an intermittent Check Pedestrian Assist warning is a failing PIS (Pedestrian Impact Sensor). There's 2 of them mounted behind this front cross brace:

Radiator fans and Check pedestrian system / front parking sensors-ped-1.jpg

The original pattern on the right has been superseded by the type on the left:

Radiator fans and Check pedestrian system / front parking sensors-ped-2.jpg

Bad news is the front bumper has to come off to access the sensors and the current pattern requires a new locating hole drilling in the back of the cross brace.

You really need Jaguar SDD to diagnose the error - to determine if it is a sensor and if so, which one.

Graham

Old 01-05-2018, 11:06 AM

Thanks Graham. I have the newer grey sensors (ive been under the car and located them and agree that bumper needs to come off and a dealer may need to scan the system.
but what should i do if the pedestrian system is not aways on at start up. Risk taking it to Jag anyway? Surely no warning will mean no codes? Some times its there on start up. Sometimes its comes on when driving now.

i have a new battery to fit tomorrow.

anyone have any info on the radiator pack fans and when they should come on?

spence

Old 01-05-2018, 11:42 AM
Received 2,579 Likes on 1,784 Posts

The radiator fan is controlled by the ECM depending on system temperature. Testing may be difficult if the ambient temperature is less than 10 C.

Old 01-05-2018, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by NBCat
The radiator fan is controlled by the ECM depending on system temperature. Testing may be difficult if the ambient temperature is less than 10 C.
This makes sense. But can anyone confim if the fans come on upon start up or low speeds when driving?. ?

Old 01-05-2018, 02:58 PM
GGG
Received 16,794 Likes on 12,165 Posts

..... what should i do if the pedestrian system is not aways on at start up. Risk taking it to Jag anyway? Surely no warning will mean no codes? Some times its there on start up. Sometimes its comes on when driving now.

i have a new battery to fit tomorrow. .....
When the pedestrian warning is displayed, there should be a stored code to indicate the reason. Stored codes can be temporary or permanent. For one of the three sensors, this will be P1004xx, P1005xx or P1006xx. The first four numbers referencing the particular sensor and the extended xx codes indicating a specific fault such as signal range, circuit or sensor malfunction. Unfortunataly you need Jaguar SDD to read the extended codes.

If the battery is suspect, I'd fit the new one before having the codes read. A below par battery can cause all kinds of weird apparent electrical faults which often miraculously disappear with a new battery.

Graham

NBCat (01-05-2018)
Old 01-05-2018, 03:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 654 Posts
Lightbulb

This makes sense. But can anyone confim if the fans come on upon start up or low speeds when driving?. ?
On my '07 once the engine comes up to temp the fans do spin slowly. Ford's control logic was for the fans to come on at lowest AC temp on my sons Lincoln LS (which shares a lot of Jag stuff) but I haven't verified it on my XKR. On mine the PO took the belly pan off because some bolts went missing and eventually the wiring hardness got scraped up and cut the control wiring. When that wiring failed the fan ran all the time. The plugs are inside the wheel wells next to the air boxes, right side for the fan in my case. Not sure if that matters LHD vs RHD.

I have pics and the repair parts in my build thread. It was one of the earlier 'events' and helped me a lot. Another event resulted in draining a lot of the coolant then then the fan came on full blast. It's loud enough to hear inside the car.

You should be able to download both the service manual and wiring diagram online for free. A good digital volt meter and some patience will get the car back on it's feet. Battery replacement required 10mm tools for both the terminals and base plate holding block.

NBCat (01-05-2018)
Old 01-06-2018, 01:14 AM
Received 375 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG

Bad news is the front bumper has to come off to access the sensors

Graham
No need to take the bumper off, you can access them from underneath!:-)

Old 01-06-2018, 03:19 AM

I think i may need to remove the bumper. I have the horizontal extra radiator undernearh. Looks like this gets in the way. I cant see any other way to access them.

spence

Old 01-06-2018, 03:57 AM

I think i may need to remove the bumper. I have the horizontal extra radiator undernearh. Looks like this gets in the way. I cant see any other way to access them.

spence
Sorry, mine is an XK, so no intercooler in the way.

Old 01-06-2018, 07:41 AM
Default New battery fitted.

Ok so just fitted a new battery. I could see a "09" stamped onto the negative terminal on the 'jaguar branded' battery. So assume its the original.
Anyhow it has not got rid of the "check pedestrian system"

Is it most likely to be one of the small grey sensors?

as i see it now i will need to pay the dealer £150 for diagnosing the fault. Then £100 for the sensor (£250 ish)
i was just wondering if it would make more sense to change both sensors while the bumper was off rather then pay the dealer £150?

thank you for all the advise so far .

Old 01-06-2018, 07:48 AM

Or buy an Icarsoft or foxwell scanner and you can find out which sensor it is, they cost around the same as one trip to a dealer!:-)

I have the Icarsoft LR2 and I also had the pedestrian warning but with the Icarsoft it told me which sensor was failing!:-)

Old 01-06-2018, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by peterv8
Or buy an Icarsoft or foxwell scanner and you can find out which sensor it is, they cost around the same as one trip to a dealer!:-)

I have the Icarsoft LR2 and I also had the pedestrian warning but with the Icarsoft it told me which sensor was failing!:-)
This might be a good idea. I can get one for £140 new. This can definaley read the pedestrain system them?

Old 01-06-2018, 08:24 AM

This might be a good idea. I can get one for £140 new. This can definaley read the pedestrain system them?
Yes!
My alarm was intermidiat(probably spelled wrong:-D) and my Icarsoft said left sensor was bad, I erased the code and switched places on the sensors and after a couple of days I got the warning again. Checked with the Icarsoft and now it said right sensor bad so I knew for sure it was the sensor and not a bad connector or wiring.:-)

I think it can read all or almost all modules in the car, it finds around 25 modules when I connect it to mine.

Last edited by peterv8; 01-06-2018 at 08:27 AM.
Ranchero50 (01-06-2018)

Quick Reply: Radiator fans and Check pedestrian system / front parking sensors