XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Radio/Climate Control/Navi/CD Unit Blank???

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 04:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio/Climate Control/Navi/CD Unit Blank???

2007 XK Convertable

My Radio/ClimateControl/Navi/CD display is out completely. The screen is blank. Only the Jaguar logo flashes occasionally. When I start the car, the antenna goes up and RARELY the display shows for about a second. 99.9% of the time .. no static, no noise, no display.

If I use the lower level climate control knobs, the temperature does change, but I'm guessing at the temp that I'm setting because there's no display.

Any thoughts?

Old 10-08-2017, 05:09 PM
GGG
Received 16,764 Likes on 12,153 Posts

As it's a technical question and not an Intro, I've moved your post from New Member Area - Intro a MUST to X150 forum. Members here with the same model will be able to help.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
winstonsalemncxk (10-09-2017)
Old 10-08-2017, 05:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,149 Likes on 3,085 Posts

95% of the problems with XKs boil down to Low Voltage. How old is the battery? What is its resting voltage? Max voltage? Minimum voltage?
You need to charge the battery with a normal charger (not a trickle or battery maintainer) for at least 24 hours, probably longer, and then check everything again. Also a battery load test would be in order, and most auto parts stores will do this for free.

Old 10-09-2017, 06:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 732 Likes on 468 Posts

When my screen only shows the logo it's the battery every time.

Old 10-09-2017, 06:50 AM
Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts

+1 battery

Old 10-09-2017, 08:16 AM

I don't want to be charging my battery on a regular basis, especially if the car starts fine every time. Strange.

How often does this happen? Should I just buy a new battery?

Last edited by VinceG; 10-09-2017 at 08:18 AM.
Old 10-09-2017, 08:29 AM
Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts

I have a 2007 and it started fine also radio would act trippy on occasion. Then my seat back would only move to one point then the steering wheel would not do the auto movement when I got in the car. A couple weeks later my battery died. I replaced the battery myself. No more radio problems and everything works like it should except I have to get the seat module reset.

Old 10-09-2017, 09:08 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by VinceG
I don't want to be charging my battery on a regular basis, especially if the car starts fine every time. Strange.

How often does this happen? Should I just buy a new battery?
So here's the deal, we have the same car basically as far as the battery is concerned. I use a smart "Battery Tender" and have no issue's. I can go a couple two three weeks without using and then the screen logo thingy appears or back up sensor freaks out or steering wheel not auto or...

This is the one that convinced me to use religiously, you're at the "Red Light Grand Prix", new-ish Vette next to you, somehow you're able to disengage traction control in time (we know how long this takes) before green and then... it turns itself back on due to low battery.

I plug it in almost everyday since and no issue's. I have strapped the charger to the end of the battery and run the cord out the hatch to plug in. This way charger is always with car when traveling abroad. You do not have to plug in everyday but it does not hurt to do so.

Get your battery tested to insure in good condition. Me, I would just buy a new battery, strap on a smart charger and be done with it.

Last edited by 1 of 19; 10-09-2017 at 09:13 AM.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:27 PM
Received 198 Likes on 140 Posts

Vince, if you drive your car daily as I do, 20 mile runs every three days. then you will be fine without the battery maintainer. These cars do not like to sit. charge the battery up on heavy duty battery charger, 10 amps for four hours should do it. Then have it tested at AutoZone or one of the other big parts stores. You will have to remove the covers for them or they won't touch it. If it were mine and the test came back even marginal, I would change the battery.

Old 10-09-2017, 03:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

Vince, (my name as well)
First, Welcome to our forum!

Get use to the battery conversation... Its all over this board, and it is a real problem.
Batteries can be a year old, and fail just enough to let the gremlins loose.

Rather than dealing with chargers, both my xk and xkr have AGM batteries.
Both can set for weeks without issue. If you drive less than that, a maintainer makes sense, but after years of trouble-free use, I can't fathom why everyone still shoves maintainers down each others throats. Go AGM, and be done with it. I'd be ticked if I had to plug my car in all the time.
Just sayin....

Peace!
Vince

The following users liked this post:
Chris77 (01-23-2022)
Old 10-10-2017, 02:51 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by CleverName
If you drive less than that, a maintainer makes sense, but after years of trouble-free use, I can't fathom why everyone still shoves maintainers down each others throats. Go AGM, and be done with it. I'd be ticked if I had to plug my car in all the time.
Just sayin....

Peace!
Vince
I don't believe anybody was shoving anything.
I'm not sure if you noticed but this is a forum. And your AGM suggestion is a good one. As are the suggestions of using what works for others. Just sayin...

Old 10-10-2017, 03:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 874 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by 1 of 19
I don't believe anybody was shoving anything.
I'm not sure if you noticed but this is a forum. And your AGM suggestion is a good one. As are the suggestions of using what works for others. Just sayin...
Which is why I said "If you drive less than that, a maintainer makes sense..."
Leaves the forum floor open for those that choose to use them... right?

BTW, Of the 25 cars in my life, the only time I plunged one in regularly was living in Montana in the early 70,s, and that was a block heater so the darn things would turn over in the morning!

V

Old 11-20-2021, 04:39 AM
Default Hi

Hi all- due to the long time suppose that this theme its over for the former members- but if you are new here and have the same trouble it is mostly the ground connection that causes mistakes like that. So first make it new before you look for batteries, fuses of broken parts (its an english car...)

Old 11-21-2021, 04:05 AM
Veteran Member

My AGM battery did not last any longer than my lead acid battery. 3 years that's it! Things that make you go hmmm.