Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

The real difference between a Jaguar buyer- today

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 02:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts
Default The real difference between a Jaguar buyer- today

Much has been said about a Jaguar buyer being the pipe and slippers sort. Perhaps, however the real difference between the kind that buys a BMW vs one who buys a sporty Jaguar is, one has just escaped poverty and the other is firmly in grasp of their future.

That's why a typical BMW owner could not bear further expenses, such as owning another car as a daily driver, or having it garaged. Most that I see buying a M4 drive it daily through miserable conditions even when they have salt on the road. It is their mule that has to do everything and it dare not require $200 oil changes. And that's why the M6 and other BMW 'supercars' are ubiquitous at 'we will finance anyone' car lots. (its priceless these days to have a car, like any romance, that never ends up washed out)

I dont believe that a Jaguar buyer is one who is trying to buy a car that stands out from the average sedan. He is buying a toy, a mistress, because he has finally arrived at a station where he doesnt need a car to stand apart, he has that car because he stands apart. Unfortunately this rarely happens under the age of 45.

Coco Chanel said it best: Luxury is not the privilege of those who have just escaped adolescence, rather those firmly in grasp of their future.

The following 3 users liked this post by Queen and Country:
jetlag700 (11-02-2019), MarkyUK (10-24-2018), tommytess (02-24-2016)
Old 02-24-2016, 02:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

I had just escaped poverty, and now my Jaguar is threatening to throw me back in it!!!

The following 8 users liked this post by amcdonal86:
chazaroo (07-10-2017), guy (03-08-2016), jag68 (09-24-2017), Jagged Wire (08-03-2017), JagRag (07-10-2017), jagxk2008 (02-25-2016), Queen and Country (06-29-2017), wicklewamb (07-03-2017) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-24-2016, 03:05 PM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Q&C: My wife totally agrees with your statement: "I don't believe that a Jaguar buyer is one who is trying to buy a car that stands out from the average sedan. He is buying a toy, a mistress, because he has finally arrived at a station where he doesn't need a car to stand apart, he has that car because he stands apart. Unfortunately this rarely happens under the age of 45. "

PS I'm 29 and many many months....

The following users liked this post:
Queen and Country (06-29-2017)
Old 02-24-2016, 03:05 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
I had just escaped poverty, and now my Jaguar is threatening to throw me back in it!!!
At least you will be slumming is style ole chap. But you will never be without a bird.

amcdonal86 (02-24-2016)
Old 02-24-2016, 03:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by wrair
Q&C: My wife totally agrees with your statement: "I don't believe that a Jaguar buyer is one who is trying to buy a car that stands out from the average sedan. He is buying a toy, a mistress, because he has finally arrived at a station where he doesn't need a car to stand apart, he has that car because he stands apart. Unfortunately this rarely happens under the age of 45. "

PS I'm 29 and many many months....
W, too funny, my wife hinted some concern about it being both a chick magnet and a potential mistress; I hinted getting a minivan and growing gut and one of those ponytails. She said this was the least expensive car we would buy.

Old 02-25-2016, 05:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 651 Likes on 477 Posts

Most people with a BMW that I know, it is indeed their only car. The reason Jaguar owners have multiple cars, is they need something else to drive while the Jaguar is in the shop.

davchr (06-28-2017)
Old 02-25-2016, 09:20 AM
Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts

she sits in the garage, waiting for the sunny days, weekend spins, and date night....as it should be...

Queen and Country (07-11-2017)
Old 02-25-2016, 09:54 AM
Received 157 Likes on 101 Posts

My wife was also very positive...until I put the "Shagwr" plates on it. I thought she would laugh. Nope.

The following 2 users liked this post by ndy.boyd:
Injekter (02-25-2016), Queen and Country (07-11-2017)
Old 02-25-2016, 10:35 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ndy.boyd
My wife was also very positive...until I put the "Shagwr" plates on it. I thought she would laugh. Nope.

She knows your chances just went way up. You sir are a proper ladies man.
I am dumbfounded by the guys who put those diesel smoker exhausts on their trucks- do they think the opposite sex finds that attractive or are they just trying to attract other men? Its all a state of mind isn't it. I love the Jaguar state of mind.

Old 02-25-2016, 11:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 85 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
Much has been said about a Jaguar buyer being the pipe and slippers sort. Perhaps, however the real difference between the kind that buys a BMW vs one who buys a sporty Jaguar is, one has just escaped poverty and the other is firmly in grasp of their future.

That's why a typical BMW owner could not bear further expenses, such as owning another car as a daily driver, or having it garaged. Most that I see buying a M4 drive it daily through miserable conditions even when they have salt on the road. It is their mule that has to do everything and it dare not require $200 oil changes. And that's why the M6 and other BMW 'supercars' are ubiquitous at 'we will finance anyone' car lots. (its priceless these days to have a car, like any romance, that never ends up washed out)

I dont believe that a Jaguar buyer is one who is trying to buy a car that stands out from the average sedan. He is buying a toy, a mistress, because he has finally arrived at a station where he doesnt need a car to stand apart, he has that car because he stands apart. Unfortunately this rarely happens under the age of 45.

Coco Chanel said it best: Luxury is not the privilege of those who have just escaped adolescence, rather those firmly in grasp of their future.
when you own a jag you need to be ready to call or email the dealer for a small lights, a signal, a sensor, well you become a very assisted person and are in the hands of the service who seats between 2 chairs. if you can afford it, get yourself a more expensive car where the service is better,

when jag do not record any of the problems dealer got before and cant even comunicate well you can be sure that you will suffer like the first one did and so on, thank you for all the "experience" but its not for me.

with all the basic models without soul we have seen, probably the grand chinese market ahead, I do not even want see the new xk and the clunk transmission soon. I called one time jag uk when a dealer almost racket me, installed something himself and did nt want assume, UK seems like i was calling the moon, so here from mars, to the moon, thank you very much but not for me anymore, jaguars are good for those not rich, but those who want pretend to, and are indeed small little cryer with their never ending breaking car. and of course the cold ambience in all shops, Its a must, it goes with it.

how do you calculate your gas mileage= with or without the miles going to the dealer, otherwise you could afford a 18 miles a gallon car.
find a good independant and get a used car from a particular, its the best way to go if you want cry less. or buy an aston martin and spend more in service and go there once a year only. Last year when they finally resolved the tire /geometrie problem, the trasnmission axle was to redone/fixed after their trial, its a never ending.... or do like aston martin owners, do not go to the official service for 3 years....but can you? I bet you can't.

Last edited by jagxk2008; 02-25-2016 at 12:09 PM.
Old 02-25-2016, 02:37 PM
Veteran Member

The more exotic the mistress the more maintenance. But this horse gives way more than it complains. They gave you a bad one. In USA Jaguar would have to buy that car back, and they probably did to send it to Spain. Get a supercharged 5.0, this new girlfriend will even make you forget a toothache. The transmission is phenomenal, ediff, supercharger, engine too.

Someone here can help you find a mechanic that can give you advise over the phone. Most them love jags like their owners.

Old 02-25-2016, 03:39 PM
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I own both a BMW and Jaguar....and my wife has a Subaru Forester. They all have their place in the pack.

BMW is my daily driver and it does very well at it. The 535 is an amazing 4 door auto that is big, comfortable, and surprisingly quick and agile.

The Subaru Forester pulls trailers and dirt bikes. My wife is a realtor and has put 130k miles on the Forester...all around town. Not a single breakdown or repair. Only consumables and scheduled maintenance.

But the XKR is special. She goes out on nice days with the top down. She always pleases and impresses. The cost to keep her in trophy shape isn't any more than any other high end car. She is a bargain at twice the price. And she is cheaper than a girlfriend. Especially when you factor in that no matter how many repairs she might need....she will never cost me half my stuff in a nasty divorce.

The following 2 users liked this post by kyle191:
sharx8 (02-25-2016), TobyJag (02-26-2021)
Old 02-25-2016, 03:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

I think your description of the Jaguar buyer is a stretch, but sounds good.

I feel Jaguar should play the "pipe and slipper" image to their advantage instead of re-inventing the wheel.

Old 02-25-2016, 04:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
I feel Jaguar should play the "pipe and slipper" image to their advantage instead of re-inventing the wheel.
But it was never 'pipe and slippers'-let me take your mind's eye back to the EType- it was a smart buyer who wanted it all, looks, performance, mileage, and it was better than anything the competition offered. And indeed the coolest folks on earth drove an Etype. This ad says it all.
https://www.iloveretro.co.uk/e-type-jaguar-print

The XKR delivers every bit of that same promise and more, it out performs a Lamborghini Gallardo in nearly all parameters, including braking and the lambo has carbon brakes.

Their mistake was having mediocrity from then to 2010. Where indeed the only thing to celebrate was its geriatric virtues of grace. It totally lacked pace and space prior to 2010.

Last edited by Queen and Country; 02-25-2016 at 04:57 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Queen and Country:
MarkyUK (10-24-2018), rfr66 (02-27-2016)
Old 02-25-2016, 04:36 PM
Veteran Member
Old 02-25-2016, 08:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
I think your description of the Jaguar buyer is a stretch, but sounds good.

Did Jaguar always have that sort of image? Something tells me that's not the image they had in the 1950s and 60s. As those buyers aged, the cars aged with them. That is, they got really boring. Jaguar's lineup in the 80s and 90s was really lacking in excitement. Thank goodness they are reviving the brand with some fresh models and a bigger performance focus!

Old 02-25-2016, 09:11 PM
Received 56 Likes on 28 Posts

I used to look at the BMW's and think "i'll save my nickles and dimes."

Now I look at them in my rear view and think "that poor sob..."

Old 02-25-2016, 11:45 PM
Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts

With the intro of the more affordable XE and the much-acclaimed F-Pace, it will be interesting to see how many Bimmer owners can now finally make the 'Leap'...

Old 02-26-2016, 06:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

But it was never 'pipe and slippers'-let me take your mind's eye back to the EType- it was a smart buyer who wanted it all, looks, performance, mileage, and it was better than anything the competition offered.
Jaguar went a long time without having an E Type replacement. People under 50 will first think of sedan when you ask them about Jaguar.

Old 02-26-2016, 08:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 85 Likes on 83 Posts

The more exotic the mistress the more maintenance. But this horse gives way more than it complains. They gave you a bad one. In USA Jaguar would have to buy that car back, and they probably did to send it to Spain. Get a supercharged 5.0, this new girlfriend will even make you forget a toothache. The transmission is phenomenal, ediff, supercharger, engine too.

Someone here can help you find a mechanic that can give you advise over the phone. Most them love jags like their owners.

it was a 2010 xkr 5 liters sold by JFC duffort, for 84k$ (63k euros at that time) they sells the most xkrs in france and are well known jag dealership. the alignement was dead when we bought it, we drove 100 meters afetr an aceleration the car was blocked, (never seen this) transmission blocked. they towed it back from 100 meters with a truck.
said it was batterie. 1400km i have driven and no realised one front tire had 500 gr less to compensate not only a bad geometrie but dead bushing. it was 2 cm wrong. it took me going 5 times to jag valencia, to get it solved, then it was the transmission after their trials. 3 times they had me coming and said they cant do it to go home, then they apologize and wanted to change back the 4 tires new 2k with the same bad geomeiire they left me, thye wanted to change 4 tires to see if it resolve it, they did and did not even realised it was the same, until i ended up talking to Paco the right manager at another location but same dealership who took care of it, but again transmission was like axle was unscrew totally, it was another 200e after all the traumas. owner offered to have all 4 tires changed i said no, I was obset and prefered to eat the bad tires they set maybe on purpose to screw me, i assumed it , i even bought a land rover and sold both cause it was not fair. it is a good dealership, it was hard for them to check out all the things that needed to be done after buying it from another place. each time with Paco there , it was perfect, they even offer twice some parts. but when they changed of service manager, he never wanted or was not willing to find the problem, it was obvious the steering wheel will directly turn by itself upon driving,

i did not even tried to resolve the mis aceleration cause it was rare, but always there and yes it has trigger me to keep the car, like something that we wont resolved and maybe why they sold it there.
upon 2 emails no more response from them, i should have had a warning light or something should be on diagnostic...lol i was about to buy a rapide used from 2 dealer and it was them again, upon infos the car needed 12k of repair at 94500 sale price.

I am not going to convinced jagaur spain or jagaur france or uk or usa of my own experience, i am out, i keep watching jags but i am sick and tired at the design probably for this.

i had 10 jagaurs, 8 xj and 2 xk. i m 44.

i had a small problem with the gla lately, not sure if i caused it...but its well reliable, i can wait 1 year and no need to reach the service.
investing 30k in a newer car like this is good and not much so you do not regret and feel bad if problems happens.

luxury, soul ok, if it is very reliable otherwise it is not a soul i need.

my budget is 280k euros today but soon I will heritate and maybe around 700k euros , it will do it to choose a good decent car.

Last edited by jagxk2008; 02-26-2016 at 10:24 AM.

Quick Reply: The real difference between a Jaguar buyer- today