XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rear Quarter window broken again

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 11:13 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Rear Quarter window broken again

My rear quarter window has failed again. I did complete replacement on it about a year ago and now it has failed to move up or down..instead of purchasing a new window regulator, I see there are some repair services, and repair kits...I am interested if anyone has used an eBay repair kit they sell for around 40 dollars??

thanks

al

Old 05-22-2017, 02:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,133 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Would you please identify your car fully? A cogent answer depends on a full history.

Old 05-22-2017, 02:47 PM

Yes your are correct, Im sorry...My Car is an 2007 XK..I did a full removal and replaced my rear quarter window in the past..now the motor has done the same thing and the cable is off track..instead of paying to have it repaired, maybe purchase a repair kit and reinsert a new cable. But I am wondering how difficult it is, to repair..

thank you for your input..
al

Old 05-22-2017, 04:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,893 Likes on 1,284 Posts

Since you've had the unit out before, you're probably in a better position to answer the 'how difficult is it to repair' question than most of us, as you've seen the thing close up. Are the parts screwed/bolted together, or riveted?
All of those would be easier than parts that are 'molded' together. Did you see anything 'broken' the last time it happened?

Old 05-22-2017, 04:35 PM

The process of removal is not hard but time consuming..on the unit itself the cable came off track and got tangled..the cable is difficult to straighten out if bent..but there are some kits that are sold online that replaces the cable, I just would like to know if there is some trick into installing the replacement cable...below is my previous issue with the window..
thanks

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-glass-162715/

Old 05-23-2017, 06:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,893 Likes on 1,284 Posts

Considering that this has now happened to you twice with original units (yours and the used unit), I'd think that just replacing the cable will eventually end up failing again. Sounds like a defect in the way the cable is handled by the unit.
In rereading your other thread and one linked to it, sounds like the rebuild service with the lifetime warranty might be a better choice in the long run. Unfortunately that means more $ than just a replacement cable.

Old 05-23-2017, 11:18 AM

KJ07XK..your probably right on the rebuild service...but I did order the repair kit for 30 bucks...I will document the process and see if this makes a difference..
thanks
al