XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Recommendations for gunmetal color powdercoat

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 12:19 PM
Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Recommendations for gunmetal color powdercoat

I'm powdercoating my OEM 19'' XKR wheels to a gunmetal color. And was looking for some gunmetal/glossy grey suggestions from you lot. What do you think? Color codes would be extremely helpful!

Picture for reference:

Recommendations for gunmetal color powdercoat-jfnueud.jpg

Old 06-29-2017, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Stop by a JLR dealer and walk the lot... I would keep it all JLR colors codes so it "could've been stock" look.

The gun metal color will super hot on you car.

Old 06-29-2017, 02:24 PM
Received 214 Likes on 149 Posts

I would start with the powdercoater and see what is available in stock colors. Several years ago I tried to get steel wheels powdercoated for my 56 Corvette and found the stock color selection limited and custom color matching VERY expensive.

Old 06-29-2017, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
Stop by a JLR dealer and walk the lot... I would keep it all JLR colors codes so it "could've been stock" look.

The gun metal color will super hot on you car.
I've looked into Lunar Grey and Stratus Grey, as far as OEM Jag colors. But I also really like Sparkling Graphite, which is a BMW color.

Originally Posted by davchr
I would start with the powdercoater and see what is available in stock colors. Several years ago I tried to get steel wheels powdercoated for my 56 Corvette and found the stock color selection limited and custom color matching VERY expensive.
They told me to give them a color code that I'll be happy with.

Old 06-29-2017, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by ArnoldKay
I've looked into Lunar Grey and Stratus Grey, as far as OEM Jag colors. But I also really like Sparkling Graphite, which is a BMW color.

They told me to give them a color code that I'll be happy with.
Let me know if they will mix small quantities of custom colors. Several years ago I could not find anyone anywhere that would custom color match less than 100 lbs of material. It would have ended up costing more than $2500 to get a custom colored material.

Old 06-29-2017, 07:27 PM

I'd imagine they will, but only because they'd be buying it from the local dealers. This is a powdercoater who works in conjunction with Jaguar and they let them use a paint booth on site.

Old 06-30-2017, 07:34 AM
Veteran Member

This is a powdercoater who works in conjunction with Jaguar and they let them use a paint booth on site.
You're all set then. I would want the inside to be as perfect as the outside. Make sure to road force balance the wheels and pick up a tire/wheel insurance policy while you're at. Mine has already paid me back more than the cost within a year of purchase. Two more years to go. Best purchase ever!

Would be neat if they could do a two color scheme like on some of the current cars like XE and F Type.

Old 06-30-2017, 08:10 AM
Received 189 Likes on 88 Posts

My Jag is Vapour Grey Metallic (LMO). It's not the bright, shiny, light silver color you often see, it's a somewhat darker metallic titanium color which I think would look great on your wheels! If you go to a Jag dealer, check it out!

Old 06-30-2017, 10:53 AM

... This is a powdercoater who works in conjunction with Jaguar and they let them use a paint booth on site.
Are they using wet paint or powder coat material? A paint booth is not used for powder coating.

The following users liked this post:
mosesbotbol (07-02-2017)
Old 07-01-2017, 11:56 PM

I was just being general. The dealership has an entire area reserved for painting and such jobs.

Old 07-02-2017, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by davchr
Are they using wet paint or powder coat material? A paint booth is not used for powder coating.
Powder coating and painting are two totally different finishes and processes to apply. Dealers only do painting onsite.

Old 07-02-2017, 12:35 PM

I will clarify with them. But they specifically said their wheel guys are powdercoaters.

My dealership has a huge property, I've seen them refinish wheels before. I'll talk to their contractor as well.